Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Ľ Pokemon Main Boards Ľ Pokemon: Interactive Center Ľ Competitive Battling Ľ Rate My Team

Rate My Team Get your competitive battling team rated here and get help with movesets and battling strategies.

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:09 PM
some noob Offline
New Trainer

Talking First OU Team (help please!)

Here it is: my first RMT. This team is based off the one that I was using during last summer, which was the last time I was playing competitively. Itís made of Pokemon that were once very common and generic, but as Iíve been playing lately, Iíve seen very few Gengars and Dusknoirs and almost no Electivires. This team is fairly offensive with lots of sweeper sets, but I end up using some stall tactics sometimes, too. I know that the metagame has changed a lot since then, but Iíve actually had some good success with this team. Iím avoiding using legendaries because this will also be my Wifi battle team eventually and I donít really like to soft reset for hours. Anyways, I hope you enjoy the team.

Preview:

In-Depth:

Gengar (M) @ Focus Sash Ė Versatile Lead
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power Fire
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball

Gengar is an awesome Pokemon and he does well in countering most other leads. Iíve been using Energy Ball over Thunderbolt because most people Iíve played assume that if they have their water type out, Iíll use the Bolt, but by using the grass move, it usually OHKOís or sets me up for a 2HKO on their ground type that they switch for. Destiny Bond is always good for bringing down sweepers that the opponent might have set up and Shadow Ball is always a must for Gengar. HP Fire take care of bugs and catches revenge killing Scizors off-guard.

Umbreon (M) @ Leftovers Ė Trapper/Supporter
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP/6 Def/252 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Mean Look
- Baton Pass
- Wish
- Yawn

Umbreon is my favorite Pokemon of all time. Just look at him. Awesome. Anyways, Umbreon is the main Pokemon on the team. He supports with Wish, obviously, but his trapping abilities are awesome. I start with a Mean Look to trap and then I use Yawn to get the opponent the sleep next turn. I then Baton Pass to Gyarados and set up while the opponentís asleep and because theyíre trapped with Mean Look, they canít do anything about it. The only annoying thing is that Synchronize sometimes makes it unable for me to get the opponent to sleep, but overall, Umbreon is a great player on the team.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers Ė Offensive Beast
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

This beast is one of the key players on the team; heís usually the last Pokemon I have the bring out. Once Umbreon traps the enemy and puts it to sleep, a Baton Pass to Gyarados allows me to set up with Dragon Dance until the enemy wakes up. I usually donít have too much trouble past this point with walls because I usually bring out Gyarados after the opponentís Pokemon have been weakened to a certain degree.

Electivire (M) @ Expert Belt Ė Killer Physical Sweeper
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Thunderpunch
- Ice Punch
- Brick Break
- Earthquake

I usually keep Electivire hidden until I can safely predict the opponent to use an electric move because once I reveal this guy, itís hard to make use of Motor Drive again safely. I really love this move set because itís very versatile; once I get a speed boost, I rarely end up switching him back out. A lot of people Iíve fought lately actually donít expect the Ice Punch for whatever reason, and itís great for people that try to stop Electivire with Latias. Iím using Brick Break over Cross Chop because Iíve had some problems with Reflect before and I always prefer 100% accuracy moves. Overall, this set has proven itself and Electivire is great for the team.

Metagross @ Leftovers - Tanky Tank
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/244 Def/12 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

I wasnít really sure if Metagross would fit this team, but I needed a Stealth Rock user and he fits the role nicely. The EVís are pretty bulky and I might spread them out a little more offensively , but they seem to be working nicely so far. Meteor Mash and Earthquake are both powerful moves and Explosion is used to wipe out anything that could be a big threat.

Dusknoir (M) @ Leftovers Ė Annoying Wall/Staller
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/28 Atk/228 Def
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Will-o-wisp
- Ice Punch
- Pain Split
- Shadow Sneak/Sucker Punch

Dusknoir has great defensive stats and Will-o-wisp is very useful for walling otherwise powerful physical sweepers. Pain split has saved me numerous times and combined with Will-o-wisp, it can be very annoying for the enemy. Ice Punch is useful for dragons, especially after their attacks are nerfed from a burn. Shadow Sneak is also useful as a stab priority move but I might consider using Sucker Punch instead for a more powerful hit.

This is my first RMT and it's the best team I've made so far, but I know it can be improved. Comment and rate please! :)
Old 04-07-2010, 09:13 AM
pokemonfanboy2000 Offline

Send a message via AIM to pokemonfanboy2000
Default Re: First OU Team (help please!)

well i think you should have thunderbolt on that gengar and also if you want a trapper my best pokemon for the job would be mismagius

Mean look then perish song wait about a few turns then switch your opponents pokemon is dead.

so the movesetes i would go for is

mean look
substitute
shadow ball(whats a ghost type pokemon without shadow ball)
perish song
Old 04-09-2010, 06:19 PM
07hillmic Offline

i suggest cross chop over brick break and give a life orb to electivire
Old 04-16-2010, 05:51 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Only comment I have is that Metagross is kinda out of place, so maybe take him out for another support Pokemon or for a priority user. How do you do against Mences?

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 04-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Dark_Azelf Offline

Anti lead Gengar wants Taunt or Hypnosis/Counter/S-Ball/D-Bond. When played well, it can take out 3 pokes and stop rocks going up which greatly benefits Gyarados later game.

Physical Electivire wants Meditate over Cross Chop with a Life Orb if it even wants a glimmer of hope at sweeping.
OU Shoddy → #2 on ladder. (Smogon)
UU Shoddy → #1 on ladder. (Smogon)
NU Shoddy → #1 on ladder. (CAP)
Gen 4 WIFI Record → W ~92| L 8
Records Gen 5;
OU B/W → #1 on ladder. (Smogon)
LU B/W #1 Ladder (PO)
GSC OU → #3 on ladder. (PO)
Closed Thread