Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Art Boards » Sprite Art

Sprite Art For both Pokemon and non-Pokemon related sprite art.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Pineboy2 Offline

Smile Re: General Spriter's Showcase! **PLEASE post! Critique others' work and post your ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
HI EVERYONE REMEMBER ME

Oh who am I kidding no you don't. Anyway I was a spriter once but I'm getting back into it because WAR.

It's pretty good! I like the color scheme, and the pose is quite regal! However, besides what Disco mentioned, there are a couple of things that aren't wrong, but can definitely add depth and stuff.

The two things that strike me are the contrast and the outlines between markings. I've never been a fan of outlines between color zones; Pokemon have them and I think it looks silly. If that's your cup of tea, fine; I recommend at least taking off the outlines and seeing what it looks like that way. :)

As per contrast: contrast is your best friend now. Contrast is what helps the human eye make out shapes, and it can help focus the eye and keep it interested in said shapes. Your shading is very light and the lack of contrast makes it harder to see the depth properly; make the shades have a little more of this wonderful contrast and you'll go far. Color contrast is even better. All of your shades lie on the same hue. If you vary the hue a little - make the shade grayer the darker you go, or perhaps make it yellower or redder or bluer, the grays add contrast and plausibility in the shading; the colors add mood, such as yellow being happy, red angry, blue calm, etc.

Hopefully this helps a bit! :D

@ Disco: Your sprites are sexy and you're the best grayscaler I've ever seen. 'Nuff said. (Although the bulb really should go leftways a tad)

Anyway, here's my sprite! A friend and I are halfheartedly making our own region (the 'games' being Vanilla, Chocolate, and Strawberry). Each of us is making a starter set. This is my grass starter, all scratched. Critique all you want. Also, he doesn't have an official name. Suggestions are <3'd. He's based off a pterodactyl because dinosaurs.
Wow I love it. But The Tail Is A Bit Wierd. I don't really know what else to say though. I don't know what to call it either.

It's Just Something I Did in 10 Minutes. Can Anyone Think Of Names For Them? I know they are tiny.

Last edited by Pineboy2; 06-15-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:33 PM
JokesterJesse Offline
I l l u m i n a t i  P r i n c e

Send a message via AIM to JokesterJesse Send a message via MSN to JokesterJesse Send a message via Skype™ to JokesterJesse
Default Re: General Spriter's Showcase! **PLEASE post! Critique others' work and post your ow

Idk those are a bit too small to be pokemon lol and I recommend adding darker lines to the edges and maybe some shading. idk.. They are cute :)

Some stuff I made lol, but im kinda new to spriting.
Basic Fusions

Recolor
Old 06-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Neku Sakuraba Offline
Sound Garden

Send a message via AIM to Neku Sakuraba Send a message via Skype™ to Neku Sakuraba
Default Re: General Spriter's Showcase! **PLEASE post! Critique others' work and post your ow

xD They're great! The Munchlax fusion looks more like...an inflation, if you will. And the Yamma looks like it has the forever alone face. It's looks funny! And the recolor is great, too.

How about this one? It sucks, doesn't it?

Links
Code:
Level 100: 3287 Proud Deviant of the PE2K Deviants
Have PesterChum for some reason? Contact me on it! (neonSound)
Old 06-21-2012, 01:16 PM
larvitard27 Offline

here's one i thought of just now, kyogre+lugia

if that doesn't work, just go here:http://pensensei.deviantart.com/#/d54et8f
Old 06-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Neku Sakuraba Offline
Sound Garden

Send a message via AIM to Neku Sakuraba Send a message via Skype™ to Neku Sakuraba

You know you have to critique the sprite above you also, right? Anyways, it looks good, but some part of it looks a little...unnatural. Like how part of it's face is blue, but it just transitions into that silverish-white, that looks a little wrong.

How about this one, guys?

Links
Code:
Old 06-23-2012, 08:23 PM
larvitard27 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Gear Snivy View Post
You know you have to critique the sprite above you also, right? Anyways, it looks good, but some part of it looks a little...unnatural. Like how part of it's face is blue, but it just transitions into that silverish-white, that looks a little wrong.

sorry ,the other one you made wasn't too bad and this one is cool and how do you get the picture in?
Old 06-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Neku Sakuraba Offline
Sound Garden

I upload mine to Photobucket and copy the URL and put it here.

So, anyways, here's mah new sprite. Don't know why I didn't put it in a previous post...

The background is green on purpose.

Links
Code:
Old 06-23-2012, 11:45 PM
JokesterJesse Offline

Send a message via AIM to JokesterJesse Send a message via MSN to JokesterJesse Send a message via Skype™ to JokesterJesse

Quote:

Quote:
I upload mine to Photobucket and copy the URL and put it here.

So, anyways, here's mah new sprite. Don't know why I didn't put it in a previous post...

The background is green on purpose.
Make sure you don't save yor sprites as .jpg ALWAYS save as .png jpg ruins the quality of the art.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:10 AM
larvitard27 Offline

trying this out even though i don't know if it works with deviantart....enjaoy? ':(
Old 06-24-2012, 12:16 AM
JokesterJesse Offline

on you sprites I would recommend not resizing the image and keep it the actual size that it starts with. Also i you right click the image you are trying to post you can click open image in a new tab and get the link from there. Then all you would have to do is add [IMG][/IMG] and just put the link inbetween the [IMG]'s
Old 06-24-2012, 12:20 AM
larvitard27 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokesterJesse View Post
on you sprites I would recommend not resizing the image and keep it the actual size that it starts with. Also i you right click the image you are trying to post you can click open image in a new tab and get the link from there. Then all you would have to do is add [IMG][/IMG] and just put the link inbetween the [IMG]'s
thanks

trying agian(again)

Last edited by Cheerful Cherubi; 06-24-2012 at 03:56 AM. Reason: I fixed the image tags for you.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:24 PM
larvitard27 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokesterJesse View Post
Make sure you don't save yor sprites as .jpg ALWAYS save as .png jpg ruins the quality of the art.
looks cool, how bout this? (finally got it!)
Old 06-25-2012, 04:44 PM
JokesterJesse Offline

A couple more suggestions, don't leave all that open space on you sprite image, it is best to move the sprite to the top left of the image and reduce the size so it takes up less space.

Also on the darkrai and blaziken fusion make sure to recolor the lines of of the sprite so they are not all black. If you look on any sprite you will notice that the line art is not completely black and that it has shades in it aswell

Last edited by JokesterJesse; 06-25-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:33 PM
larvitard27 Offline

kay thanks
Old 06-27-2012, 01:13 AM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

Typhlosion/Ampharos sprite recolor. I cut the flame a bit short but I like it. :3

Last edited by Typhlosion Explosion; 06-27-2012 at 01:21 AM.