Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:55 AM
Sight of the Stars Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sight of the Stars Send a message via Skype™ to Sight of the Stars
Default Should I?

I have written a book (trying to get it published), and I really need some critisim on it. I'm wondering if I should type it up and post it on PE2K. My writing skills have increased since I have last been seen on this site, and that has been done through extensive writing and role playing on more advanced forums.

I wanted to know if you all would actually notice it, or keep with it. In the past I have lost inspiration to post up chapters due to the fact that I either didn't get enough feedback or there was no real critisim, or the simple fact that if I missed posting a chapter for a while many people left it and never came back. My Gifted And Talented Education teacher wants me to share my writing with others, and to use it well.

I'm still considering if posting it on here would be wise, though. It could easily be stolen, but I guess that posting it on WEbook will have the same result. I'm uncertain whether or not to post it or not. Will someone, anyone, help and tell me what I should do?
[12:38:59 AM] GallantlyGlaceon: ...So how do we do this? XD
[12:39:20 AM] Sight of the Stars: it's nothing really big, just usually a note in your sig that's all like 'paired with soandso'
[12:39:44 AM] Sight of the Stars: just be like "SIGHT OF THE STARZ IS MAH BIZNITCH"
[12:39:57 AM] GallantlyGlaceon: XDDD
[12:39:59 AM] Sight of the Stars: and I'll be like "GALLANTLYGLACEON IS MAH HOE."
Old 05-13-2010, 05:16 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

Default Re: Should I?

I don't think it's a good idea to post something you want to publish online, but if you want someone to help you with it, maybe you can find some people you trust to share your story with so they can give you advice and criticism on your story. I just wouldn't post it publicly.

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Old 05-13-2010, 05:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to Sight of the Stars Send a message via Skype™ to Sight of the Stars

-nods- Thank you, Scy. That is a good idea. I might do that, but I'll see if I can find trustworthy people or not. I have at least two in mind. ;)
[12:39:20 AM] Sight of the Stars: it's nothing really big, just usually a note in your sig that's all like 'paired with soandso'
[12:39:44 AM] Sight of the Stars: just be like "SIGHT OF THE STARZ IS MAH BIZNITCH"
[12:39:59 AM] Sight of the Stars: and I'll be like "GALLANTLYGLACEON IS MAH HOE."
Old 05-13-2010, 05:21 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER *takes breath* NEVER NEVER NEVER...

Well you get the idea. Never post a story you intend to publish online. If it's good enough, or even if it's not, people will steal it. Never underestimate the bad people on the net!

Talk it over with a close friend, or something. Send an email perhaps? But even that can be risky sometimes. I personally would not post it here or anywhere else.

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Old 05-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumori Gem View Post
NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER *takes breath* NEVER NEVER NEVER...

Well you get the idea. Never post a story you intend to publish online. If it's good enough, or even if it's not, people will steal it. Never underestimate the bad people on the net!

Talk it over with a close friend, or something. Send an email perhaps? But even that can be risky sometimes. I personally would not post it here or anywhere else.
You make us all seem like we're evil :(

But yeah. Don't post something on the net that you want to publish.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 05-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

I'm basically on the same level with everyone else. No. Never ever. I go as far as email when I send my stories, and that's only when I'm sending more than five chapters to someone. I normally just kill trees and print them out but soon some of my proofreaders will be moving to other schools and/or graduating, so I'll have problems with getting them copies without emailing.

Trust me. You don't want anybody stealing your ideas. =(

Old 05-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Pokol DaErran Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wolf of the Snow View Post
I have written a book (trying to get it published), and I really need some critisim on it. I'm wondering if I should type it up and post it on PE2K. My writing skills have increased since I have last been seen on this site, and that has been done through extensive writing and role playing on more advanced forums.

I wanted to know if you all would actually notice it, or keep with it. In the past I have lost inspiration to post up chapters due to the fact that I either didn't get enough feedback or there was no real critisim, or the simple fact that if I missed posting a chapter for a while many people left it and never came back. My Gifted And Talented Education teacher wants me to share my writing with others, and to use it well.

I'm still considering if posting it on here would be wise, though. It could easily be stolen, but I guess that posting it on WEbook will have the same result. I'm uncertain whether or not to post it or not. Will someone, anyone, help and tell me what I should do?
I believe it has been said, but never post anything you intend to sell online. Ever. Nobody can be trusted.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:09 AM
Giratina Offline

In addition to the "story thieves!" thing people pointed out, I believe I heard somewhere that published authors aren't allowed to have any works of theirs on the Internet and are required to delete all of such works, be they from last week or last decade. I don't know if this is true or not, but it's worth taking into consideration.

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 05-14-2010, 02:30 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giratina View Post
In addition to the "story thieves!" thing people pointed out, I believe I heard somewhere that published authors aren't allowed to have any works of theirs on the Internet and are required to delete all of such works, be they from last week or last decade. I don't know if this is true or not, but it's worth taking into consideration.
That wouldn't be practical even if it were required... no sane person can expect someone to remember all their works from years past posted on obscure corners of the World Wide Web.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 05-14-2010, 03:16 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giratina View Post
Uh...I think it was that publishers aren't allowed to publish something that had been posted on the internet, not that authors couldn't post things they didn't want to publish on the internet.

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Old 05-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Giratina Offline

Meh, it was probably false anyhow. :/ Just tossing it out.

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 05-15-2010, 12:25 AM

Thank you all for your thoughts. Thank you for helping me see that posting it online would not be the right choice.