Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Ľ Other Boards Ľ Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:56 AM
Disco Offline

Default An immigrant's woe.

To be honest, I wrote this out of frustration, from hearing some saddening news from my state's political candidate. I really don't care if you don't agree with me, or if you think I'm a baby. Just felt like putting it out there.

Quote:
Are we immigrants really so worthless?

This wasnít a question Iíve had since my arrival into the United States, but with an upcoming decade living in Massachusetts, itís become my daily question; The question in which I must repeatedly ask myself, for fear of asking anyone else. Are we really so worthless? No need to insert dramatics, but the thought plagues my very core, as the days wane and my hand shakes further.

Is personality considered null within racial, ethnic backgrounds?

Each and everyday society finds a new label in which to tag themselves to, and nationality has long been a form of identification within communities. This happens within countries, states, even areas of the neighbourhood, and with each statement of ĎIím ______!í, it brings me further into depression. Iím BrazilianÖ does the title then give me certain rights of speech? Certain rights of emotion? Iím not sure what it does to me, specifically. Stating Iím Brazilian gives me no specific pride, and sense of how I should be treated as a person. Of course, I have pride in my family, in my upbringing. But who is to say that my source of upbringing cannot be emulated in other cultures? Is an American child loved any more by their parents? Any less? What about an Indonesian child?

Such questions leave me without answers. Even in Massachusetts, in which many either praise or chastise us for being so Ďopení and Ďliberalí to diverse cultures, I can often find an example of biased treatment, whether for race, or for ethnic background. Many times, Iíve been considered English-illiterate simply for speaking to my own mother in our native language. Iíve been given scoffs by merely a glance at my foreign, by-no-means-Americanized name. Iíve been spoken to quite condescendingly by many, teenager and adult alike, simply for their being the Ďmajorityí or what have you. Furthermore, my mother has been attacked by a deranged man on the street, simply for having Ďa Spanish faceí.

That isnít to say all Americans are against immigrants. Many friends I have made are American, and have absolute no trouble with my upbringing. They recognise me as a person, and not as an imported product. But why is such behaviour still allowed, still legal to attain? To treat someone differently by how they look, or their name, or their upbringing? Should we then, in our own countries, treat Americans any differently than our own citizens?

Of course. Because we have Ďinvadedí American territory.

Given, many Americans are hard workers. Some Americans, however, live from the state simply for the convenience, feeding off a failing fund that they, themselves, couldíve aided. Likewise, many immigrants do the same. But should we really punish those who are hardworking, even in the midst of an ongoing recession? Are the Americans and the immigrants who refuse to work doing the same crime?

Even being of different territory, if one is providing for the country, should they not be compensated for their work? Itís something Iíll never understand, the humiliation both of my hard-working parents go through just for us to pay the bills. Through their pain, I strived to ease by taking over many parenting roles, as babysitting, taking my younger siblings to school, helping them through their homework, and being there to support them whenever they need me- so my parents do not fall apart from the exhaustion of hard work and measly pay.

And thus, the land of opportunity has caused me, of seventeen, to become a parent for my entire family.

I appreciate America for all itís given me. Itís given our family hope, and despite the fact that we suffer, weíre living better than we ever had, with so many opportunities. Iím never going to forget what it gave meÖ

I only wish some of its inhabitants appreciated our work as well. If this was the case, Iíd be truly happy.
Yeah, a serious post. Go figure.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Sixto Offline
Sofa King Cool

Send a message via AIM to Sixto Send a message via MSN to Sixto
Default Re: An immigrant's woe.

I enjoyed your post. And I completely agree.

Though I can't say my situation was the same, it was similar. I live in Houston, a city I love and take pride in. There are, well at least in the neighboorhood I grew up in, many more Hispanics compared to where you are. The schools I went to were housed with a higher percentage of Hispanics than any other race.

My parents were born and raised in Mexico and came here to give us a better life. A bit of an understatement now.

I don't remember their age, but they literally swam the Rio Grande and came here.

My dad got his citizenship and so did my mother. They both learned English fluently and I completely love that they kept their thick Mexican accent. My father successfully opened his own construction company which eased the stress on my mom's illness and necessity to work to keep us afloat.

With that, my sister, younger brother and I were raised with everything we wanted, even a lot of luxuries.

My parents passed away almost a year ago. To this day, the two people I truly consider my idols, my heroes, my everything, were my parents. Oh how I wished I was half the handyman my father was. He could build anything. I designed my own house, but even he did a lot of the labor into building it. He could fix cars, electrical needs and many other things. My mother was the best cook (everyone thinks their's is X3) and would still find time to wash our clothes even though my parents hired help.

But none of this mattered. I felt like if only they (Americans who judge solely on looks) could live one day of the way we lived back then, then maybe they could understand. If they could hear stories of other families, such as yours.

In the end, I think it'll take time. I think we have taken strides and it's only going to get better. Look at how far black people have come. Women's rights. And now the immigration and gay rights.

As you, I am proud of my heritage and culture. But I am happy here. It will take time.

I tried not to get too political because I know how I get when the politics come in. XD

Last edited by Sixto; 09-18-2010 at 02:07 PM.