Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Ľ Other Boards Ľ Groups/Clubs

Groups/Clubs Start a Pokemon or non-Pokemon related Group/Club for your favorite topic. Whether it's a group/club for one of the good guys like Ash, Misty, or Brock, to the villains like Team Rocket, Team Magma, and Team Aqua. Your group can be whatever you want.

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 10:26 AM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim
Lightbulb Endless Possibilities Discussion

Endless Possibilities Discussion

"To understand is to perceive patterns."
- Isaiah Berlin

While it's one thing to read the guide , it's another to analyze it and implement the lessons within it. Thus, this thread is for all members who want to gain more from the writing and wish to understand rather than simply know.

Since this is the first thread, here is the first discussion question based on Lesson 1:

What kinds of doubts stop us from taking the first step and how can we overcome them?
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.

Last edited by HKim; 08-08-2005 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Thanatos Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Thanatos Send a message via MSN to Thanatos Send a message via Yahoo to Thanatos
Default Re: Endless Possibilities Discussion

Yay, I'm the first poster! n_n

I guess the main thing that holds us humans back is fear. We fear the unknown. We fear what we don't understand. Its the basis for all the prejudice you will see in the world today.

You have to be careful however, and look through the possibilities. If it could result in something we did not wish to happen, then we feel worse than we did before, and possibly even more afraid to try.

I've had my own experiences in my life, as have the rest of you. Look back on the instances in your life that required a lot of faith, and a lot of hope. Aren't those truly the best moments we will experience in our lives?

I look back at the memories I hold dearest to my heart. What are the ones I remember? The ones where I took a chance. It wasn't necessarily the right decision however. I could have been rediculed, I could have wound up in a lot of trouble, or I could have wound up hurt beyond what words can describe. If I could take (for example) the last seven months of my life, and relive them, I wouldn't change a single thing.

Take a good hard look at the decision you might have to make. If you don't have a lot of time, you should make time, for when there is a lot at stake, you don't want to wind up crashing and burning.

I personally believe that these doubts can be overcome with your own opinion and self esteem. Change the way you think.

No, I'm not trying to tell you I'm perfect, or that I know what's best for you. All I can tell you is what I have said above, that the risks I've taken in my life have usually paid off.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner. - English Proverb

Ryu Paladin

Lugia
Level 100 @ 5810 posts
VPP
Old 08-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Matt Offline
<- Khold's Butt
Elite Trainer (Level 7)

Send a message via AIM to Matt

I agree (nice guide by the way, Harry, and yes, I do know/remember Bashaamo. That adorable Munchlax avatar...) on some accounts Thanatos. I agree that it is definately fear that holds us back, but in these cases, fear of others, and the beliefs in becoming the "most loved" member of PE2K. Most of us have gone through that feeling. I gave up after realizing that that would never happen. another reason, all the members, new or old, it doesn't matter, the ones that don't take these "chances", are merely unaware of their potential. I found mine in URPG, so that's what I went all-out for, and mostly, I succeeded. Some don't know yet that they are excellent role-play participants, or that they can learn how to be a "trendwh*re", where they can make banners for people. Here's where I agree with you Harry, They need to try...
------
FrozenChaos703: I have a kitty named Peaches.
FrozenChaos703: She can stand on my boobs.
FrozenChaos703: Without falling.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:34 PM
IT Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to IT Send a message via MSN to IT

Doubts of popularity affect our decisions here and everywhere else. If you're afraid of other people's opinions about your idea, you won't take the first step. If you're confident in your abilities, then go for it. Take people's opinions into consideration and improve your abilities. If someone doubts your skills, ignore them, or think about why they think so.

I know what it's like to be not popular or not 'cool'. I've witnessed it and I've felt it. The weird thing is that I overcame unpopularity with pe2k. I joined this forum in search of tips for my Pokemon games, or at least I thought so. I was wrong. I had joined in search of new friends to rely on when the 'real-life' friends aren't there. I found those friends.

Take risks. Take chances. Place your bet. Win or lose. Life is a game.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Incongruity Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Incongruity Send a message via MSN to Incongruity Send a message via Yahoo to Incongruity

is the "Possibilities are Endless" thread stickied PURELY because you made it, Harry?

And you show Bashaamo in a far too good of a light.

But I suppose history is written by the winner; if there are no records of truth, and all that know of truth are persuaded over to the lies, then that lie does indeed pass into truth...

Do you know what kind of doubts limit us? REALISTIC doubts. Yes, no matter how much you believe you can fly, or how much you can conceive flying, you will not fly; you are going to fall to the ground because of gravity, and you will die a very painful death, although it will be quick.

Unless you wish to disprove me, Harry.

But another thing, what is it that makes you believe you are able to be the prophet that can bring such a guide to us "unenlightened" peoples? Perhaps you are a popular G-mod ruling with an iron fist?

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge"
-Daniel J. Boorstin

Last edited by Incongruity; 08-08-2005 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssk1911
is the "Possibilities are Endless" thread stickied PURELY because you made it, Harry?

And you show Bashaamo in a far too good of a light.

But I suppose history is written by the winner; if there are no records of truth, and all that know of truth are persuaded over to the lies, then that lie does indeed pass into truth...

Do you know what kind of doubts limit us? REALISTIC doubts. Yes, no matter how much you believe you can fly, or how much you can conceive flying, you will not fly; you are going to fall to the ground because of gravity, and you will die a very painful death, although it will be quick.

Unless you wish to disprove me, Harry.

But another thing, what is it that makes you believe you are able to be the prophet that can bring such a guide to us "unenlightened" peoples? Perhaps you are a popular G-mod ruling with an iron fist?

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge"
-Daniel J. Boorstin
Completely agree with you there.

Why after every war does Kim make a sticky?
Old 08-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Incongruity Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Incongruity Send a message via MSN to Incongruity Send a message via Yahoo to Incongruity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rust
Completely agree with you there.

Why after every war does Kim make a sticky?
Oh, shut up rust [/O'Reilly]

Either formulate your own opinions, or atleast make it look like you are. Don't do the "Completely agree with you there," or, "Omg!, you're so right!" or, "I want to have your child, sk, cause you are totally correct."

special notice: some smacktard will inevitably point out airplanes/helicopters/gliders/jumping to contradict my flying argument. I know you all knew what I was talking about, but so the smacktards won't use it against me: How about flying with no apparatus? Flying naturally with what the human being has? Maintaining flight as opposed to simply being in the air with no connection to the Earth for an extremely short, limited, and uncontrollable period of time?

Last edited by Incongruity; 08-08-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Half a Dollar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Half a Dollar

Well, I know one thing that is holding us back, if we want this forum to be back to the way it was...

We lack popularity.

Yes, we do.

Look at Serebii, it makes you go wtf how they have everyone.

Another thing, lack of updates.

I know Ryan has a life, but active people should work on Pe2k too. On average, we get 1 month of news in 6 months.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssk1911
Oh, shut up rust [/O'Reilly]

Either formulate your own opinions, or atleast make it look like you are. Don't do the "Completely agree with you there," or, "Omg!, you're so right!" or, "I want to have your child, sk, cause you are totally correct."

special notice: some smacktard will inevitably point out airplanes/helicopters/gliders/jumping to contradict my flying argument. I know you all knew what I was talking about, but so the smacktards won't use it against me: How about flying with no apparatus? Flying naturally with what the human being has? Maintaining flight as opposed to simply being in the air with no connection to the Earth for an extremely short, limited, and uncontrollable period of time?
Gimme a break... You've said everthing that popped into my head when I read the thread.

Here are my opinions:

Stop making sticky threads after the War! They ain't gonna generate popularity. Now giving iPods to the winners of the war... that might.
*Throws freeipods.com at HKim* j/k

Honestly, this thread isn't gonna drum up attention for War 5. This thread best belongs in the other chat.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:07 PM
liquid crystal Offline
Elite Trainer

I agree with rust. What is the point of this? pe2k is, honestly, dying. I doubt this morale booster or whatever this is will help it.

don't hate me...>.>"
Old 08-08-2005, 06:07 PM
IT Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to IT Send a message via MSN to IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half a Dollar
Well, I know one thing that is holding us back, if we want this forum to be back to the way it was...

We lack popularity.

Yes, we do.

Look at Serebii, it makes you go wtf how they have everyone.

Another thing, lack of updates.

I know Ryan has a life, but active people should work on Pe2k too. On average, we get 1 month of news in 6 months.
The forum is dying. People either join Smogon for NetBattling or they join Serebii for information. We have the URPG, yes, it interests people, but waaay more people are interested in NBing. NBL was a good invention, but without more members, it will die sooner or later. This forum needs a boost. Updates.

And, yeah, I totally agree with you sk
Old 08-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Finglonger Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Finglonger

whoa well let me be the second to say that this whole things smacks of superiority.

Surprisingly Kim we are not all a bunch of ignorant children in need of your enlightened wisdom. You think you are so wise, so intelligent, and so keen on how the world works that you must spread it amongst the masses of idiots. This proves that you really dont know much of anything.

This is so presumptious I dont even know where to start...

well first off I can say that I neither need nor do I want your pitiful attempt at advice. Did you honestly think we would all accept this with open arms? That we would realize the err of our ways and embrace the superior ways of mr harry kim?

secondly this whole thread thrives on privilege, any non g mod posting this never would have been able to get this stickied. And I suspect the only reason anybody agrees with you is that they fear your ability to ban them or to silence them.

I hate this whole advice thread because it shows what Ive always suspected, that you think you're better than us. Unsolicited advice is only thinly guised criticism and this is what this is. You think your way is the right way and the way we choose to live our lives is wrong.
You know hat this reminds me of? Paternalism. Yes you heard me correctly, paternalism. You think that we need your fatherly guidance, that we need to be led by the hand down the road of life. You presume that we need your overwhelming wisdom or we'll hurt ourselves or never make it, or be unable to cope with real life.............you're wrong.

Normally I dont mind advice, I give it out occasionally and I usually take it to heart when I receive some. But the way that this was presented just makes me angry....

That about wraps it up, I have more to say, but I wish to keep my dignity, so I'll just wrap this up...

good day to you sir..

Last edited by Finglonger; 08-08-2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Sorry Harry, but I really donít see the purpose of these threads. Iím not sure if this is some indirect way of trying to nudge me to get working on whatever RPG or ďthe next big thingĒ you believe I always have all ready to go, but still, I donít see what kind of direction youíre trying to pull this in. Letís face it, the War is dead and buried, I donít see why we need to keep bringing it up again like that was all PE2K ever was. There is no motivation behind it anymore. Like Iíve said to Paperfairy before, Iím not an endlessly flowing fountain of great ideas like so many people think I am, my guess youíre included.

Why did you create these threads? Iím guessing just another way to find something to bring about a boost in activity, and nothing more. But letís face it, even Ryan doesnít really care. To all those who donít know, the first words Ryan says to you upon becoming a mod are ďI donít expect you to do anything more than what youíre doing already.Ē Believe it or not, thatís totally true, and is no lie either. Technically, weíre not required to do more than what weíre doing already. There is no reward in going the extra mile to make something better here. The only thing you would ever get is some small self-fulfillment upon its success, which unfortunately seems to be dwindling lately.

Maybe a while ago it was easier to get ideas through. Ryan was on a little more often and he was a little more open to new ideas for the forum. Now, heís not on so much and I think heís pretty doubtful of letting new ideas get flung around. I donít even think Bashaamo himself expected for the War to be played out in so many seasons. My guess is he first saw this whole thing as a one time event, but I have no real way of telling unless he responds to this thread. Still, Iím not an admin, and I donít have the power to organize the boards I would need for any RPG idea. The best I could do is invade the RP thread, cause clutter problems on purpose and see if I could get the boards for them after some complaints get thrown around, the same way Khold got his boards for the Netbattle League. It seems like a stupid way for it to get started but thatís all I have to work with. This is even beyond the fact there might be problems with activity. I havenít got Ryan to even respond to my ďRPG IdeaĒ thread, so heís probably not going to work with it until itís already up and booming.

And again, letís not forget about how little we were able to accomplish with ďTeam PE2KĒ when it was made long ago, after the failure of War Season 3. Despite how damn hard I tried to make that a success, it didnít work, and again, I never got even an ounce of that ďself-fulfillmentĒ that I needed to stay motivated. To me, this just seems to be a sequel thatís going to head in the same direction. Sorry, but the motivation that I once had is quickly turning into doubts. Was there anything gained from the failure of War Season 3 even after trying so many new things? No. Was there anything gained from me working my tail off and virtually working alone to create War Season 3⅔? No. And finally, ask yourself, did we really gain anything from trying to model Season 4 to be like 1 out of desperation for not coming up with a new workable idea? No. My only realization was that either you work your ass off alone on an idea, or you need deadly serious teamwork that comes with a good reward, and teamwork was what we didnít have for Season 3 and 4. When you have a judge leave because theyíre losing motivation, thatís a loss of teamwork, and whatever weight was on them now is put on someone else, and it makes it harder for them. Expectations rise to impossible heights, and people expect satisfaction from nothing. People want the War to go on for 10 weeks, but notice these are the same people who arenít judges, donít really participate, and just enjoy watching the War from the sidelines to see how it will turn out. Let me remind you that it canít work like that.

Is PE2K dying? Iíll just say this, nothing lasts forever and everything always goes on a steady inevitable path to the trash heap. The only difference is that some things arrive there sooner than others, and others take longer to get there. We donít want to believe that but itís true. But now, I really have to ask how many people really want to do their hardest to save PE2K, and who are the others who just want to watch it happen but contribute nothing. For the longest time, I always wanted to make PE2K a better place but now I have to say I canít do anything successfully unless I have people willing to cooperate, and not just watch like PE2K is just a spectator sport. And if this isnít true, then I can always take the route Aleyquala took a long time ago, and search elsewhere. You can repeat to yourself again and again that Serebii sucks and whatever, but itís not them whoís choking for activity, itís us.

And yes, I have to bring this up, because for the longest time, itís annoyed the hell out of me. You may forgive, Harry, but you never forget, which could be a reason why no one ever wants to ask you to do anything and why youíve had to find yourself making threads like this. Let me remind you have many times youíve thrown that same comment about ďinvading Team TrainerĒ and causing Nick to leave regardless of how many freaking months itís been since Iíve done that. Let me remind you have youíve said you ďhated meĒ for doing that, even though I was acting more in part for the welfare of Team Flora way back when every one of their members was leaving. If you really want to keep friends Harry, you wonít remind them constantly about mistakes that they wish they could take back, and you wonít continue to use them like they should forever feel guilty and submit to you. But if sh*t like this is all that you can associate with me whenever you hear my name rather than all the good Iíve tried to do for this forum, then I have no business trying to help you do anything around here.

Old 08-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Shroomish Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Shroomish Send a message via MSN to Shroomish Send a message via Yahoo to Shroomish

Woah, chill out guys. Heís just trying to help, sheeshÖ Youíre being a little harsh, donít ya think? His intentions are pure and heís not placing himself above anyone.

Sometimes we need Dr. Phill speeches to pick us up, and as corny as they sometimes sound, they are true. I know weíre adults (or at least young adults) and you think we donít need to hear ďYouíre good, donít listen to negative criticism! You can do it!Ē but you know, sometimes we actually do. Sometimes these things can actually inspire us.

Which is a point worth making. If we donít tell people theyíre skilled or talented at something, then they wonít know. Imagine if no one ever left any feedback in the fan fiction department. How would the authors know how well they were doing? Perhaps we should take a little time out of our busy schedules to throw a few, honest complements around. Even if you think theyíre pointless and no one listens to them, youíre wrong. Personally, Iíve failed a lot in my life and to get a good word shot my way makes me feel not so worthless for a second. Iím sure other people feel the same way, and even if you donít have low self confidence and think you donít need anyoneís opinion, you know you want it deep down. You want someone to tell you how well you can write or draw, how well you battle or play a certain game, something, anything positive.

On another, more on-topic note, we do need regular updates. I agree with that. And a positive atmosphere wouldn't hurt either.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Ierdar Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ierdar Send a message via MSN to Ierdar Send a message via Yahoo to Ierdar

I fail to see any way Kim is showing supirotity. I look at your pessimistic point of view, NP, SK, and Fing, but I don't understand it.

Kim was offering insperational advice to any who wanted to hear it. Just because you don't think you need it or find it to be incorrect due to your pessimistic views on life, does not mean you have to be jerks. >_>

Kim is not trying to tell us all he is better than everyone else. He is just trying to offer advice to anyone who cares to take it. You "realistic" people don't need to flame him for it. =\
Closed Thread