Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » General

General Hang out here and talk to people participating the Ultra RPG. Talk about anything related to the Ultra RPG, or just any casual discussion with fellow participants of the Ultra RPG. New to Ultra RPG? Come in and see what's it all about.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:34 AM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim
Thumbs up Art Capture Challenge - 1st Trial Judging!

Art Capture Challenge Judging

Welcome everyone to the Judging of our Art Capture Challenge! I'm your host, Harry Kim!

Ladies and gentlemen. I would like to inform you that we have an outstanding submission count of 12 Entries! Your enthusiasm for participating in this trial run is simply outstanding. You can be sure there will be a prize for this contest. I'll figure that out after I receive the judging scores.

Speaking of scores, here's how the Judging Process is going to go:

Judging Guidelines
  • Any URPG Member is allowed to judge the entries.
  • You are given one week to judge. You must judge every entry. If you submitted an entry, judge every entry except your own.
  • To submit your judgement, PM me with the scores. Title the PM: "Art Challenge Results".
  • You can judge based on any criteria ranging from sections of cultural value to technique to theme significance to how close they followed the rules to whatever you can think of.
  • All entries will be judged out of a total of 100 points. You can split how many points are allocated per each section you consider important, but the maximum is 100 points total. That means that a mediocre piece will score less than 25 points, a decent piece will score between 25 and 75 piece, and an outstanding piece will score above 75 points. I highly recommend you explain why you scored the piece as you did.
  • As mentioned before, this will be a method in which I select permanent Art Judges to run these Challenges that will likely end up in its own forum. The more information you can provide on why you judged the piece the way you did will help me determine your qualifications and give you a better chance of being selected.
  • I reserve the right to eliminate judgements that I feel are unfair, biased, or simply incomprehensible.

Special Notes
  • After receiving the scores, I will average them based on how many people judged each entry. The entries are then ranked by the highest average. The more points, the better.
  • Participants may be able to claim their $5,000 for participating after the contest is over.
  • Judges will be paid $6,000 for judging. I reserve the right to not pay you if I feel your effort is not worth the payment.
  • I will likely list the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place entries after I receive the scores. I might list the average scores for each participant.

I'm going to state here again, that I'm not an artist. So I have not disqualified any of the submissions because I have no idea which submissions break rules or not. I'll leave it up to our art judges to figure out which pieces violate any rules and if they should be docked points or not.

Anyway, good luck. I now present the amazing entries of our URPG Artists!

The Submissions

Theme: "New Horizons"

Artist: JokesterJesse
Entry Title: New Horizons
Description: Deoxys flies through spacing, look for a place to call home.

Artist: Kanga
Entry Title: Untitled

Artist: Blank
Entry Title: New Horizons
Description: Uh, it's just what the sunset looked like near where i live. Edited a bit on GIMP. :3

Artist: Dog of Hellsing
Entry Title: The Beginning of a New Horizon
Description: Cherubi notices a new horizon beginning to take form and wonders when it'll get finished. This is a humor piece and was thrown together in Photoshop in like 10 or 15 mins, so yeah, it's crappy XD. Graphic Art isn't my strong area.

Artist: Dark Moonlight
Entry Title: A new dawn is the beginning of new horizons (shortened down; New Horizons)
Description: Basically, I summed up this in a banner: "A new dawn begins a new horizon!"

Artist: gun6
Entry Title: The Unsuspecting Newcomer
Description: This is somewhat similar to personal experience. I, for example, started with an Igglybuff (in retrospect, possibly the worst choice I could have made.) However, that made me think, "What would it be like if someone started with a Sunkern?" Also, try to find the Mew. :)

Artist: Casey Adkins
Entry Title: Kingler
Description: This was a piece that I made to make my love of Kingler clear. It describes the theme by showing that even an old pokemon can gain new heights has it did in Generation 4 when it gained Physical STAB.

Artist: Marshy
Entry Title: Newborn Mime
Description: What boasts new opportunities more than life being brought into this world?

Artist: kers
Entry Title: good morning
Description: bleh

Artist: Kai-Mei
Entry Title: Moonrise
Description: Every time I thought of "new horizons" I thought of that one scene in Pokemon Movie Whatever where Latias and Latios fly off into the horizon and die, which was pretty morbid and mildly depressing. I decided that making a (pardon the cheesiness) new horizon for them to fly off into would be a cute idea, so I have them flying into a perfectly normal moonrise, where Latios doesn't die and all that fun stuff. As if that wasn't enough, I added the Pokeball and Masterball at the bottom- in my imagination, they escaped from some cruel trainer somewhere, allowing them to spend the eons together.

Artist: TheEvilDookie
Entry Title: A Psychedelic Sunrise
Description: It's a normal Sunrise, isn't it? Nope, it's a giant version of the Psychic Sun, Solrock!

Artist: Feng
Entry Title: The Curious Case
Description: Confused. Irritated. Betrayed. Lie?
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.

Last edited by HKim; 09-14-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:48 AM
Gokudera-Kun Offline

Send a message via AIM to Gokudera-Kun
Default Re: Art Capture Challenge - 1st Trial Judging!

Harry, I think you forgot Kai-Mei's tag.

Anyways, 5.5k? Sweet. I'll get judging tomorrow.

VPP: Giratina, Level100 @ 4,554

Last edited by Gokudera-Kun; 09-13-2010 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Needed something to contribute after the edit.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:15 AM
Focal Offline

Send a message via ICQ to Focal Send a message via AIM to Focal Send a message via MSN to Focal Send a message via Yahoo to Focal Send a message via Skype™ to Focal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKim
If all you are taking an image that someone else drew, photographed, or made in any shape or form; then manipulate that image for your entry, then yes it is banned.
With that in mind, that would technically mean that Kanga, Blank, Dark Moonlight and kers are disqualified unless they made/took the photo's themselves. I do remember Blank saying he took the sunset himself.

Just wanted to point this out, not sure if you wish to act upon it or not.

my gift is my song and this one is for you + don't look down, it's only love that we're falling in
all the way to your very last breath, I'll be around 'till we're parted by Death + sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

Old 09-13-2010, 08:42 PM
TsukiKaiki64 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to TsukiKaiki64 Send a message via Yahoo to TsukiKaiki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal View Post
With that in mind, that would technically mean that Kanga, Blank, Dark Moonlight and kers are disqualified unless they made/took the photo's themselves. I do remember Blank saying he took the sunset himself.

I second this.

Otherwise, Moonlight by Kai-Mei is not showing up. I can't judge completely if I can't see this one D:

Paired with my love, the incredibly awesome and amazingly fantastic Shock <3
Black and White Teams

Black FC: Alexa, 5243 2120 8993
Old 09-13-2010, 09:05 PM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim

Quote:

Since I am not an artist, I'm leaving it up to the judges to determine how they want to proceed in regards to their pieces. Judges have the option of giving their pieces zero or simply penalizing them if they feel they broke the stock rule.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:10 PM
GreenRampage Offline

Send a message via AIM to GreenRampage

I was wondering if there could be an incentive for the participants to judge, similar to the ones for the Writing Contests?

EDIT: I just realized its an average, nevermind then I guess it doesn't really matter

Last edited by GreenRampage; 09-14-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Gokudera-Kun Offline

Send a message via AIM to Gokudera-Kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenRampage View Post
I was wondering if there could be an incentive for the participants to judge, similar to the ones for the Writing Contests?
There is, you get 6k silly.

I still can't see Kai-mei's btw.

VPP: Giratina, Level100 @ 4,554

Last edited by Gokudera-Kun; 09-13-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:12 AM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Okay, Kai-mei's entry should be displayed now.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Dark Moonlight Offline

Quote:

Yeah, I would be disqualified. I don't have a camera and I'm not an artist so....

Spoiler:
Old 09-26-2010, 04:59 AM
TsukiKaiki64 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to TsukiKaiki64 Send a message via Yahoo to TsukiKaiki64

Just wondering, but are results ever going to be up? It's been about five days since a week has been over...

Paired with my love, the incredibly awesome and amazingly fantastic Shock <3
Black and White Teams

Black FC: Alexa, 5243 2120 8993
Old 09-26-2010, 05:29 AM
Bumblebee16 Offline

Send a message via AIM to Bumblebee16 Send a message via MSN to Bumblebee16 Send a message via Yahoo to Bumblebee16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsukiKaiki64 View Post
Just wondering, but are results ever going to be up? It's been about five days since a week has been over...
You're hiding from me :[

Old 09-26-2010, 08:02 PM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Yes, I apologize for the delay. Results should be up shortly.