Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Art Boards

Art Boards Art boards for both Pokemon and non-Pokemon related art.

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 03:59 AM
Linchy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Linchy
Default Re: She's here, she's new, and she's brought work... [Gallery]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSmite View Post
As I really dont have the time to give you any cNc at this moment all I can say is that, some of your banners are filled with perfect simplicity, and a couple pointers to help you out with. centered images = bad and boring. usually offset them or move them to the left or right, which you have done on some of your banners. keep it up, i will be watching

Thanks :D I appreciate it. Is "perfect simplicity" supposed to be good or not? :P
Old 09-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Dark Moonlight Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linchy View Post
Thanks :D I appreciate it. Is "perfect simplicity" supposed to be good or not? :P
I think good, and also, your renders look pasted on. Smudge the outlines of the render into the background, and smudge some of the background into the render.

Spoiler:
Old 09-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Linchy Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Moonlight View Post
I think good, and also, your renders look pasted on. Smudge the outlines of the render into the background, and smudge some of the background into the render.

I would, seriously but I'm a failure at smudging. D: Can you give me any tips? DX
Old 09-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Dark Moonlight Offline

Quote:
I would, seriously but I'm a failure at smudging. D: Can you give me any tips? DX
Take your smudge tool and find somewhere on the outline. Click and drag outwards slooooowly. And for a way to practice, take your image, find somewhere to smudge and flick on your mousepad. If you've got a mouse, just quickly shove it forwards. If you have a mouse, that's probably why your smudging isn't so good.

Spoiler:
Old 09-25-2010, 12:45 AM
Linchy Offline

:D Thanks. I'll do that (once I am on the netbook). Hmm, I've seen a few threads where they say to save as PNG and not JPEG. I should save as PNG, shouldn't I? :P
Old 09-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Dark Moonlight Offline

Quote:
:D Thanks. I'll do that (once I am on the netbook). Hmm, I've seen a few threads where they say to save as PNG and not JPEG. I should save as PNG, shouldn't I? :P
Yes. NEVER save as a .jpeg.

Spoiler:
Old 09-26-2010, 09:56 AM
Linchy Offline

Quote:

Okay. :D

--
*View updates on front page under the "Updates" Spoiler

9/25/10
Okay guys, I'm gonna be moving some of my banners to dA, and it'll take a while due to my laziness. I'll be editing my Photobucket account as well. :)
New sig.

9/26/10
New sig/tag/whatever. Argh, scarp the photobucket idea. I'll get round to it some day. But now I'll be uploading all my works to my dA. Also edited the new sig from yesterday. I'm gonna edit it again but I'm removing the first edit.

Last edited by Linchy; 09-27-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:09 AM
DeadSmite Offline

Quote:
[ gfx police]Actually, JPGs are sometimes required to be saved on. i.e: artwork with cmyk and i think images with higher dpi actually require it as well. i'm not so sure on that so dont quote it. [ /gfx police]

Anyways, advice to your thread/topic:

when you update your tags/sigs/banners(eh whatever) tag them with the date.

i.e.: IMG here (date)

Last edited by DeadSmite; 09-27-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:05 AM
Linchy Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSmite View Post
[ gfx police]Actually, JPGs are sometimes required to be saved on. i.e: artwork with cmyk and i think images with higher dpi actually require it as well. i'm not so sure on that so dont quote it. [ /gfx police]

Anyways, advice to your thread/topic:

when you update your tags/sigs/banners(eh whatever) tag them with the date.

i.e.: IMG here (date)
^^ That would make a lot more sense with the updates. :P Thanks again.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Dark Moonlight Offline

I can't believe you did a Justin Bieber banner. >.> I hate you for that.

This is ftw, d00d.

Spoiler:
Old 10-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Linchy Offline

Quote:
I can't believe you did a Justin Bieber banner. >.> I hate you for that.

This is ftw, d00d.
:O Omg, thanks. I love it too! Can you state an opinion on my Naruto one? (either one).

Gah, don't worry, feel free to hate me. :P I did it purely so I had a purpose to do the signature for something "useful" for a friend who's obsessed with him.

--
Please view all updates on first post since I can't be bothered editting my post every time I have an update. XD

Last edited by Linchy; 10-01-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:13 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

Quote:
"Your work is amazing" < Classifies as an "I like it". And just saying you might ask her to do something in the future isn't huge and amazing, because every graphics artist gets a chance. And it's not like you're the owner of ASDA.
DM, stop stomping the fun out of people's posts. =/ It was legit. And if it wasn't, Linchy would have said so.

Your banners aren't too bad, though some could use a little work. As for smudging tips, this one has cool effects, and this one helped me for this banner.
Spoiler:

It also helps if you find a stylish brush to use, or even muck around with the settings yourself to create one. n__n
And never save an image you drew as a JPG. PNG is for graphics; JPG for photos. Unless you're printing and using CMYK, but you're not. xD Oh, and I like these two the best.

Spoiler:

As a suggestion, you could try using a plain pixel border around your banners. Black, or a colour similar to the banner itself works fine. Makes 'em stand out more. Experiment.

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Old 10-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Linchy Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumori Gem View Post
DM, stop stomping the fun out of people's posts. =/ It was legit. And if it wasn't, Linchy would have said so.

Your banners aren't too bad, though some could use a little work. As for smudging tips, this one has cool effects, and this one helped me for this banner.
Spoiler:

It also helps if you find a stylish brush to use, or even muck around with the settings yourself to create one. n__n
And never save an image you drew as a JPG. PNG is for graphics; JPG for photos. Unless you're printing and using CMYK, but you're not. xD Oh, and I like these two the best.

Spoiler:

As a suggestion, you could try using a plain pixel border around your banners. Black, or a colour similar to the banner itself works fine. Makes 'em stand out more. Experiment.
Has DM done something in the past?

Thank you for the tutorial. *bookmarked*

Thanks for the PNG info as well. Do you have any tips for my banners that I should work on (besides a border, other people have said that).

You like Orange city? (the second one). When I showcased it in the signature case I editted it three times after XD (all results turned out better than the last). Oh, and wicked banner/sig/tag by the way, that looks pretty cool. :)
Old 10-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

Quote:
Has DM done something in the past?

Thank you for the tutorial. *bookmarked*

Thanks for the PNG info as well. Do you have any tips for my banners that I should work on (besides a border, other people have said that).

You like Orange city? (the second one). When I showcased it in the signature case I editted it three times after XD (all results turned out better than the last). Oh, and wicked banner/sig/tag by the way, that looks pretty cool. :)
DM just has a habit of telling people off when it's not needed. xD

Hmm, let's see. I notice you use a few C4Ds, right? I don't like to use them too much, because I find it can take away from the image unless blended right. Do you know your blending options in Photoshop? The layer modes? Play with those to get them to work right, and don't be afraid to erase parts or edit them. A banner usually works best if you use the render for the background as well, but you don't have to. I like smudging. =9

Yeah, you blend your renders okay, I'd just work on the backgrounds. Don't forget to have a light source! Nothing's worse than a flat banner. D=

Yeah, I like that one. The colours on it really caught my attention. I'd just probably give it a border, lighten the background a little and throw in some text. Maybe a gradient map. I love those. Other than that, it looks pretty cool.

Thanks! I've gotten better over the years, too, by watching other people and trying tutorials. I have to if I want to be a Graphic Designer some day. n__n

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Old 10-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Linchy Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumori Gem View Post
DM just has a habit of telling people off when it's not needed. xD

Hmm, let's see. I notice you use a few C4Ds, right? I don't like to use them too much, because I find it can take away from the image unless blended right. Do you know your blending options in Photoshop? The layer modes? Play with those to get them to work right, and don't be afraid to erase parts or edit them. A banner usually works best if you use the render for the background as well, but you don't have to. I like smudging. =9

Yeah, you blend your renders okay, I'd just work on the backgrounds. Don't forget to have a light source! Nothing's worse than a flat banner. D=

Yeah, I like that one. The colours on it really caught my attention. I'd just probably give it a border, lighten the background a little and throw in some text. Maybe a gradient map. I love those. Other than that, it looks pretty cool.

Thanks! I've gotten better over the years, too, by watching other people and trying tutorials. I have to if I want to be a Graphic Designer some day. n__n
Haha, I'm not surprised.

C4Ds. Ugh. They can be REALLY useful and nice but most of the time they just make me mad. For one thing I can never find abstract C4D's, all the ones I have are....meh. Planet Renders just gives me lame ones that I don't like. I seriously need some really good ones that show on the tutorials...*sigh* maybe I'm just looking at them at a different perspective.
And yes, I do play around with my layer modes...sometimes it causes me to have an outcome completely different from the one in the tutorial. I tend to do that sometimes '>.<

Another thing that irritates me is light sources. I have NO idea where to put them (the images I use are renders, and usually don't have one). Even when I put one on it just looks "pasted on" and it kind of wrecks it. Oh well.

I do have a border on it, actually. It's white. xD Shouldn't have put it as white.

Woah. o.o Gonna be a graphic designer? Cool. Which area? Websites, computer themes, or just graphic design?