Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 10-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Doodlebop's Avatar
Doodlebop Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Right there! *points*
Posts: 881
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

I never said that people made a conscious decision to be straight/gay. Don't really know where that came from. It probably has a great deal to do with your surroundings and how you were raised as well. Again, not an expert or anything.

Also, one of the reasons there are suddenly more gay people is that it's now more socially acceptable. Why? it probably has to do with the 'WONDERS OF TELEVISION'. Like, there will be story arcs with gays or lesbians, and slowly it becomes more mainstream. That's actually how a great deal of things became more acceptable.
__________________

THANK YOU CHAAAAR. *uberglomp*
Quick note: I usually go by Doodleniks. It you see me somewhere else with that alias, feel free to drop me a line! ;)
Pair: Yo Face Here
My Links
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-18-2010, 01:21 AM
Lord Fedora's Avatar
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Y'all stay off my property!
Posts: 8,469
Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebop View Post
I never said that people made a conscious decision to be straight/gay.
That part wasn't directed at you, I simply wanted to drive the point home in general.
__________________
URPG/ASB Stats
98% of teens won't stand up for God. Repost this if you think that statistic is the most laughable thing ever.
My new AIM username is GrayFedora12. Do not respond or click on links from any IMs from LordKhajmer.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioo View Post
Well, a bit of opinion and a bit of scientific fact splayed in our local paper...
Well the media will always be the media: they're wrong only most of the time. I really don't understand why the media wouldn't just stick someone who actually knows science to write this sort of stuff. Oh right, you need a degree in journalism, not in science. I don't have to remind you on that recent false advertisement about "heavy drinkers living longer than people who abstain" to drive home the point, do I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebop View Post
I never said that people made a conscious decision to be straight/gay. Don't really know where that came from. It probably has a great deal to do with your surroundings and how you were raised as well. Again, not an expert or anything.
Actually, both "belief" and "viewpoint" have the connotation of something being a conscious decision. That's where that came from. Also, if you knew at least a little bit about genetics, you'd understand that genetics never works in a vacuum and always takes environment into consideration. However, we are implying that say having homosexual foster parents is not reason enough to have any known impact on sexual orientation of children. Using that as a reason to stop homosexual couples from adoption, even under the circumstance where the child will 100% become homosexual, is not ethical.

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 10-18-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-21-2010, 06:50 AM
scubasteveE's Avatar
scubasteveE Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,558
Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

I call homosexuality, bisexual, etc. a "lifestyle", but if that is right or not, I don't know.

Now if one of my friends tells me if he/she is gay or whatever, I would be lying if I said wasn't surprised or something. I would probably need a couple of seconds to understand what they just said. But in the end, it doesn't matter to me. I despise any kind of hatred to someone's orientation, race, gender, religion, etc.

As a Christian, I've been pulled at from both sides--my personal beliefs and my fellow Brother's and Sister's in Christ beliefs. In the Christian faith, you can't be gay and be a Christian from my understanding and what people have told me, but then how can you say someone who is gay lives their life in a "good" way, that they won't be accepted into Heaven? So you know what I say to my fellow Christians? I tell them let God decide when they are judge at the gates. We have no right to judge them and tell them what they can and cannot do. That is my personally opinion.


Also, I am asexual(a twist!). I personally find sex undesirable. I just find it disgusting when I see people going out and just having it. If that is what it's all about, I don't want any part of it.
__________________
Everybody loves a comback! I'm still kicking and still diving.

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-29-2010, 07:05 AM
Graceful_Suicune's Avatar
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ashley's pants
Posts: 4,886
Send a message via AIM to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Yahoo to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Skype™ to Graceful_Suicune
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubatheDiverman View Post
As a Christian, I've been pulled at from both sides--my personal beliefs and my fellow Brother's and Sister's in Christ beliefs. In the Christian faith, you can't be gay and be a Christian from my understanding and what people have told me, but then how can you say someone who is gay lives their life in a "good" way, that they won't be accepted into Heaven? So you know what I say to my fellow Christians? I tell them let God decide when they are judge at the gates. We have no right to judge them and tell them what they can and cannot do. That is my personally opinion.


Also, I am asexual(a twist!). I personally find sex undesirable. I just find it disgusting when I see people going out and just having it. If that is what it's all about, I don't want any part of it.
Yeah, I totally agree. I mean, I'm not sure what I should think, but I certainly shouldn't judge people because of their sexuality. My own brother's homosexual, and right now I'm still not sure what I think about it. And I agree... He's still Christian.

xDDDD I reckon I'm that way too. I find is undesirable as well, and I think it's really not related to love or romance much. To me it's just another way that people can boast, and I think it's taken way too lightly.

~GS.
__________________
Everyone who's still stuck here, Pe2k is Dead. It's sad, but it happened. Instead, we moved to...

Pokemon Crossroads!
Pe2k's spiritual successor! :D I'm Suicune's Fire there.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 10-29-2010, 08:25 AM
EliteSpriter's Avatar
EliteSpriter Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 18
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

Personally i don't have anything against people of different sexuality. Im straight myself but nearly all of my friends are bisexaul/gay (except my boyfriend) and we get on with them quite good. Erm earlier in the year one of my friends was being bullied and the person who was bullying her got excluded forever.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-29-2010, 10:51 AM
Alana Marie's Avatar
Alana Marie Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,431
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

I've had many gay friend's over the years, and one or two bi's. It's never really bothered me ._. To me, my gay friend Brent is just another guy, who also happens to have very good taste in guys x3 And he deserves to be happy and married one day.

I was raised in a house that doesn't discriminate in anyway. Half my family is black, so I've grown up believing that all people are people, and appearance, beliefs, lifestyles or sexual orientations don't play a factor in whether they get rights or not. It also helps that I've been an Athiest since I was really little (I seriously thought my grandmother was telling me a fairytale when she read the bible to me x.x I was a weird kid.) so I've never really given the idea that God doesn't want people to be gay much credit.
__________________
Wat.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-17-2010, 02:56 AM
Rolitalatina43's Avatar
Rolitalatina43 Offline
New Trainer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

In my opinion people are people
Saying someone doesn't deserve to have rights because they're gay is saying one, you have the power to pass judgment and somehow dictate a persons lifestyle based on how you 'believe and feel'. Two to say someone doesn't deserve rights because they're gay is like saying someone doesn't deserve rights because they like the color blue, or cause they don't like rice. It's completely idiotic and utter nonsense.

Whether people feel it's genetic or a choice shouldn't matter. As long as a person can fulfill their job duties and that their lifestyle isn't harming anyone else, they why should I care that John likes to kiss Timmy at night. It's none of my business, I personally am agnostic and I blame this sort of treatment on not having a true separation of church and state. Because if you look at this from a completely non-religious point of view there's absolutely no reason why a gay person shouldn't be afforded all the rights of a a straight person.

I read a story recently where a christian marriage counselor refused to service gay couples because he said it went against his beliefs, and he was terminated from his position, and claimed he had undergone religious discrimination. But if you removed religion from this situation there wasn't a logical reason why gays shouldn't receive the same services as straights.

And I'm not trying to start a war of some sort on religion just expressing my opinion, so I hope I didn't offend anyone and their beliefs, just strolling through and expressing my own on a topic I found interesting.

But all in all, I'm just trying to express that I think gays deserve rights just as much as anyone else, and to say they don't is completely ridiculous.
__________________
I don't know how to be a good person...
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
Hi, gay male here.



So you're saying that I can't enjoy parenting just because you think it'd be weird for a child to be raised by two men? Thanks! I sort of see what you mean in that society would think it is weird, but it's a step we need to take if we want to transition to a society where homosexuality is fully accepted.

And also, it's not a belief. Nor a viewpoint. Why would anyone choose to be discriminated against by a large majority of the population? I know little to nothing about studies being done on the science behind it; but I certainly didn't wake up one morning and say "Hey, I think I'm going to be gay!"
I am straight, I will always be straight, and I will always appreciate gays. I have nothing against gays, I watch Penn and Teller, and they are experts when saying the gay discrimination is wrong.

I accept that gays are apart of society, I am even friends with two of em'. However, I would like to point out that being a gay is not a biological or genealogical trait. If it were, you would think we would see homosexual monkeys, assuming we evolved from them. If it were truly set in the animal kingdom, it would be observed throughout different species and living creatures, but it is not.

In my opinion, the decision has a lot to do with upbringing, and lifestyle of the child. It has to do emotionally and mentally with the thinking of the person. If you were thinking of that the way you are, I guess people who join the KKK are stupid, because they are not well-received but decide to do it anyway. "Hay, let's join a minute group of racists and haters that is looked down upon." People do things all the time, even if it makes them social pariahs.

The thought process is a slow one. I like Drum and Bass, but when I look at it, I can trace it back to a slow and gradual process. The subconscious mind is a dastardly one she is.

Now, I realize that this forum is old, so go ahead a lock it as it is the silly forum policy, and this post could not spark a conversation again. Can it?
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 01-22-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-22-2011, 11:35 PM
Blood Red Lucario's Avatar
Blood Red Lucario Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Aboard Starship Enterprise
Posts: 473
Send a message via AIM to Blood Red Lucario Send a message via Yahoo to Blood Red Lucario
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
IHowever, I would like to point out that being a gay is not a biological or genealogical trait. If it were, you would think we would see homosexual monkeys, assuming we evolved from them. If it were truly set in the animal kingdom, it would be observed throughout different species and living creatures, but it is not.
So um yeah I think you'd want to take a look at this article. Genetic gay tendencies exist (whether its natural or not is up to discussion but since human genetic manipulation occurs through drugs and what not I wouldn't doubt it occurs in humans). :X

http://www.zmescience.com/medicine/g...study-0232321/
__________________

Absol Hatches: 27 Level 100: 312

All credit goes to Knightblazer
URPG
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-23-2011, 12:23 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Red Lucario View Post
So um yeah I think you'd want to take a look at this article. Genetic gay tendencies exist (whether its natural or not is up to discussion but since human genetic manipulation occurs through drugs and what not I wouldn't doubt it occurs in humans). :X

http://www.zmescience.com/medicine/g...study-0232321/
But has any of this happened in nature? That is what I am saying. That was man-made, removing a gene. So, unless there is a scientific article stating that it happens to OTHER animals NATURALLY, I am not swaying my decision.
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Larvinator's Avatar
Larvinator Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: N/A
Posts: 2,140
Send a message via AIM to Larvinator Send a message via Skype™ to Larvinator
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
But has any of this happened in nature? That is what I am saying. That was man-made, removing a gene. So, unless there is a scientific article stating that it happens to OTHER animals NATURALLY, I am not swaying my decision.
My sincerest apologies for using Wikipedia, but this article does have a good-sized compilation of this sort of thing and you can always check the sources! The general idea is that there's a wide range of species who exhibit natural homosexual behavior (though, of course, it's always the minority, just like with humanity). Incidentally, I remember reading an amusing story regarding breeders who pay millions for retired race horses only to find they absolutely would not touch mares, but "Hey, I heard this somewhere!" is kinda inconclusive.

Also, the article Blood Red Lucario cited drew the conclusion that homosexuality can be induced through genetic manipulation...which, well, means it's at least partly genetic.

But it doesn't really matter in the end whether it's nature or nurture or both; the point is just that it's not a choice. People don't just say "Oh, I'll be gay!" and, more importantly, people can't say "Oh, wait, I'm not gay now." Nonetheless, the misconception continues. Oh well.

I long for the day where people just treat sexuality like ethnicity and accept it doesn't actually make a difference in a person in and of itself.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The KKK Official Site
The Ku Klux Klan, LLC. has not or EVER will have ANY connection with The "Westboro Baptist Church".
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-23-2011, 12:59 AM
Blood Red Lucario's Avatar
Blood Red Lucario Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Aboard Starship Enterprise
Posts: 473
Send a message via AIM to Blood Red Lucario Send a message via Yahoo to Blood Red Lucario
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
But has any of this happened in nature? That is what I am saying. That was man-made, removing a gene. So, unless there is a scientific article stating that it happens to OTHER animals NATURALLY, I am not swaying my decision.
But natural occurrences have little to do with any relation to human genes. There are drugs that enhance and even suppress certain traits from genes (such as the female fertility gene that is recorded to cause homosexual tendencies in males). Human genes are commonly manipulated meaning that the only other valid parallel to them would be another animal whose genes have been manipulated which matches the article.

Second we never record every single animal of any species so even though it hasn't been recorded in nature doesn't mean that there aren't animals with homosexual tendencies that haven't been recorded yet. Humans aren't even aware of all species of this planet only a few years ago a huge amount of species were discovered in South America. All gene combinations are capable of occurring in nature, this man-made result is just an example of what happens when said combination occurs. So your decision to say that a natural tendency towards homosexual behavior is not possible because it hasn't been recorded is not valid.
__________________

Absol Hatches: 27 Level 100: 312

All credit goes to Knightblazer
URPG
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

I understand what you are saying, but I find it hard to believe in all the years of biology, not one natural case of a homosexual animal, other than human, has been recorded.

And if you read conventional articles, they say it is only partially due to genes, and also has to do with the way you are raised. If a young girl is raised by only one gender (male) she will, naturally, grow more masculine than a girl with two gendered parents.
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Professor Geoffrey's Avatar
Professor Geoffrey Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: My laboratory.
Posts: 6,512
Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey
Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
I understand what you are saying, but I find it hard to believe in all the years of biology, not one natural case of a homosexual animal, other than human, has been recorded.
Owned. I have also seen homosexual penguins (for real, I never read the controversial children's book that dealt with gay penguins), courtesy of Gulf World in Panama City, Florida. Homosexuality has been rather prevalent in biology.

I might agree that some part of you may be affected by how one is raised. But for some people, that can't be changed very easily without torture. Sometimes, people cannot find peace within themselves and their religion. Some of them fall victim to straight camps because their homosexuality is so inbred that they cannot rid themselves of it. It is not a phase. By nature, humans are sexual creatures. We can do many other things, but according to Maslow's pyramid, we need sex and acceptance in our lives. Being apathetic and resentful of people does not help society, and it only makes us Christians seem more corrupt. Many of us are, I sadly admit, very corrupt. Few of us remember that our god is not an extremely vengeful and angry god. He is jealous, true enough. But none of god's ten commandments (which are the most important laws of His that we all break) specifically or indirectly speak against gays. Yes, as per Genesis, Adam and Eve were created for each other. But when Apollo 13 needed rescue, did the people that saved them focus on what the ship was designed for or what the ship could do? "A new commandment I give unto thee: That ye love one another, as I have loved thee." - Jesus (John 13:34). As you know, we can't all sexually love each other like Jesus loves us, because then we couldn't reproduce. But nowhere (and I dare you to prove me otherwise) in the New Testament says that we cannot be gay. The only sexual things that it dissuades us from doing are prostitution, coercion, exploitation and orgies.

As I said earlier in this thread, if you are gay, lesbian, bisexual, straight - whatever - enjoy life and be who you are. If you are Christian, remember that God is not hateful for who/what you are. If you are not, try not to think badly about all of us.

~Professor Geoffrey
__________________
❒ SINGLE ❒ TAKEN ✔ LAPRAS RIDER
The Professor of Pokémon Elite 2000.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com