Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » Third Generation

Third Generation Discuss the third generation Pokemon games: Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed and LeafGreen.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Draconic_Espeon Offline

Send a message via AIM to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via MSN to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via Yahoo to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via Skype™ to Draconic_Espeon
Default Emerald Randomizer Nuzlocke (with occasional pictures)

So I recently came back to PE2K after not being on for a couple years, and to kind of kick off my coming back, I decided to start a Nuzlocke. I've tried it a couple times and never succeeded in finishing, but hey, there's a first time for everything. I'm going to be playing Emerald this time, on an emulator, but with a bit of a twist: I'm using a program that will randomize what Pokemon I encounter, including what I'll have as a starter choice. I'll be using these rules specifically:

1. Only catch the first Pokemon encountered on a route/cave/etc.
2. If a Pokemon faints, they are considered dead and must be released.
3. No using items (except Pokeballs) in battle. Held items are an exception.
4. Because of the Randomizer, I will not catch any Legendaries. If they are the first encounter on a route, they still count, I just don't catch anything for that route.
5. If I run into the same Pokemon twice (evolutions included), it will not count as my first encounter.
6. No eggs (except the one given to me in-game) or trades (except to evolve a Pokemon).

My randomizer is set to 1-to-1 area displacement, so every Pokemon usually found in an area will be substituted with a new one.

In addition, since I am using an emulator, I'll take some screenshots of the Pokemon I catch and if anything interesting happens during battles. I'm sure most of you have played at least one of the RSE games before, so rather than making commentary on the plot, I'll be focusing on the Pokemon I catch and the battles I participate in.

Anyway, let's get started. After some no-so-careful deliberation, I choose the male sprite (because I like Brendan's design more than May's), name myself Ryuki, and I'm on my way. As I stated earlier, even the starters to choose from are randomized, and as it turns out, my choices are Entei, Barboach, and Ursaring. Since I've already made the rule not to use Legendaries, Entei is out, leaving Barboach and Ursaring. Honestly, I've never used either of them before, so I have no idea what to expect from them. However, I do know that Ursaring would be the easier choice early on in the game, considering the fact that it is evolved and so will fare better against the other first stage Pokemon I'll encounter. On the other hand, while Barboach is unevolved, it will have a much easier time against the first gym leader. It just may take a gentler hand up until that time.

In the end, I choose Barboach. Luckily for me, it knows Mud-Slap and not a defensive move like Tail Whip or something, so I am able to take care of the Zigzagoon bothering Professor Birch quite easily. I had planned to name my new Barboach Neil, but in an accident in button pushing, I manage to name him N instead. Can you imagine a Barboach with long green hair and a baseball cap? Maybe I'll just leave the name. xD

Normally, I wouldn't have an opportunity to get a look at the Pokemon on a route before finding one to catch, but 101 and 103 will be the exceptions of the game, since I don't have any Pokeballs yet. I want to do some training before I face May, so I have a pretty good idea of what my different options for my first two Pokemon will be. Route 101 is full of Sealeo, Medicham, and Magmar, while Route 103 is home to Spinarak, Salamence (which I have to run from because of its dual Flying type), and Politoed (which are scary because they know Perish Song, even at such a low level!). Route 101 turns out to be a much quicker (and safer) place to train.

While training, I discover one difficulty that I have with Barboach until it learns another offensive move: Mud-Slap only has 10 PP. For a move that does so little damage, the low PP can make it a real pain to use for training. I have to heal every few battles because of it. Hopefully it'll learn a new move soon!

Once I get N up to level 10, I finally challenge May to our first battle. I go into it not knowing what her starter would be, since the randomized starters correlate with the original starters but I couldn't tell which one Barboach replaced. I was hoping to luck out and face Torchic, but her starter was Mudkip instead. The battle is easier than I anticipated in spite of that. I thought that Water-types were resistant to Ground moves, but apparently not, since Mud-Slap does just fine against it. The move even lowers Mudkip's accuracy so that it can't get a hit in! I beat it pretty handily.

With May defeated, I finally obtain my Pokedex and first set of Pokeballs, which means I can finally catch my first Pokemon. On Route 101, it is a male Sealeo.

I catch it pretty easily in spite of it being an evolved Pokemon, and I name it Slughorn.

On Route 103, I run into a Spinarak. It's no Salamence, which I have the capability of catching now that I have Slughorn, but I don't mind too much. I actually quite like Spinarak, even though I haven't used it much.

I was hoping for a female so that I could name her Vriska, but he's a male, like the rest of my team so far. I named him Secaris instead.

Now, I can finally move on to Route 102! Where the first Pokemon I encounter is a Miltank, but I accidentally kill it. No more additions to my team for now, I guess.

I'll cut it off here for now, since I plan to train for a while, and I'll add more updates as I get time to play!

---

Rules

1. Only catch the first Pokemon encountered on a route/cave/etc.
2. If a Pokemon faints, they are considered dead and must be released.
3. No using items (except Pokeballs) in battle. Held items are an exception.
4. Because of the Randomizer, I will not catch any Legendaries. If they are the first encounter on a route, they still count, I just don't catch anything for that route.
5. If I run into the same Pokemon twice (evolutions included), it will not count as my first encounter.
6. No eggs (except the one given to me in-game) or trades (except to evolve a Pokemon).

Current Roster

Team

N the Barboach
Slughorn the Sealeo
Secaris the Spinarak

Box

none

Casualties: 0