Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Pokemon Battling Center

Pokemon Battling Center Find an opponent to battle on Pokemon Black/White, Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum or Pokemon Online. Join a clan or tournament here.

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:59 PM
fidgety Offline
Experienced Trainer

Default Re: |.:The Revocata:.| Now Recruiting! | [12/15] | Official! | Let's increase activit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJello View Post
Welcome! Sorry about the late response, the center has gotten so inactive that I often don't check the board unless I see this topic thread straight away. I'll add you ASAP.

Rain? Rain has always been a threat, yes, but never a massive problem. >_>

And thanks! After I saw Zuruggu would hatch from Ash's egg I went Zuruggu crazy. <3
yah i was gonna bring that to your attention if i caught you on the beta server but no such luck.

yes, rain, i was trying to keep it to manaphy and kingdra who are the only real problem pokes in rain but, a lot of ppl are trying to cheap out by removing either swift swim (that has settled down) or worse, banning drizzle.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Send a message via AIM to Etymology
Default Re: |.:The Revocata:.| Now Recruiting! | [12/15] | Official! | Let's increase activit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgety View Post
yah i was gonna bring that to your attention if i caught you on the beta server but no such luck.

yes, rain, i was trying to keep it to manaphy and kingdra who are the only real problem pokes in rain but, a lot of ppl are trying to cheap out by removing either swift swim (that has settled down) or worse, banning drizzle.
Smogon are going downhill. They are too banhappy for their own good. Instead of banning things, people should adjust to the metagame at hand.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:14 PM
fidgety Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Smogon are going downhill. They are too banhappy for their own good. Instead of banning things, people should adjust to the metagame at hand.
you don't need to tell me even if a miracle happens + i randomly start preferring their meta i'm still more likely to be on the beta server just due to the more positive + friendly environment smogon is getting progressively more elitist as well.
edit: also just started gen 5 uu blue guess my dder, i've also gotten back into gen 4 uu (haven't played since the lab beta server went down).
ok i'm scared the fire psychic promo-sprite is getting the most insan move ever in japan this summer 180 base FIRE move so vicini (i know i blew the spelling) has stab on it (flinches @ what a cb vicitini could do with that).

Last edited by fidgety; 01-14-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:57 AM
Void Offline

The actual problem with Rain is that now nearly every team either has Rain or has another weather to cancel it out... which was never a really good counter in any case. Specs Kingdra firing off boosted Hydro Pumps in ever-lasting Rain is crazy. Yes, there are a few other... bad ways to deal with Rain, but all of them leave you majorly open to other threats. Swift Swimmers all get a boost in their STAB, something other weather users don't get. So honestly, I'm all for banning Drizzle.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
The actual problem with Rain is that now nearly every team either has Rain or has another weather to cancel it out... which was never a really good counter in any case. Specs Kingdra firing off boosted Hydro Pumps in ever-lasting Rain is crazy. Yes, there are a few other... bad ways to deal with Rain, but all of them leave you majorly open to other threats. Swift Swimmers all get a boost in their STAB, something other weather users don't get. So honestly, I'm all for banning Drizzle.
I've made a non-weather team that handles rain perfectly - made specifically to beat Kingdra, in fact, since it's the only problem except Manaphy (who is Uber on the PO server anyway).

Rain is overhyped.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:33 PM
-Smoo- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via MSN to -Smoo-
Default Re: |.:The Revocata:.| Now Recruiting! | [13/15] | Official! | Let's increase activit

I found it quite easy to just fling together a rain team with no real planning, and win the vast majority of my matches

I really don't think there's a lot of skill involved in doing that, so I'd have no problem with drizzle being banned.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Default Re: |.:The Revocata:.| Now Recruiting! | [13/15] | Official! | Let's increase activit

That's probably because you faced people who hadn't adjusted their team to face rain teams. I think we need to adjust this metagame, not ban everything.

Although admiteddly my team would have an easier time with rain out of the picture.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Woopers Defence League Offline

I couldn't find a challenge form so i just did a plain post.

My fc is in sig anyone on to battle me?
Old 01-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woopers Defence League View Post
I couldn't find a challenge form so i just did a plain post.

My fc is in sig anyone on to battle me?
I don't have access to Wifi yet, sorry!

Although I think I may be able to get it soon.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:03 PM
fidgety Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
that is the thing other than kingdra + manaphy rain isn't as overpowered as everyone seems to believe. on the beta server my teams favorite thing too do is have chomp catch kingdra in a favorable environment + destroy it (since sand is a passable CHECK to rain) but, other wise rain isn't that bad. i had proposed an approach where smogon starts with kingdra and manaphy + tests rain without them as they are the only 100% broken abusers. if rain isn't balanced after that go after either ludicolo or kabutops who were the only other abusers that were being complained about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Smoo- View Post
I found it quite easy to just fling together a rain team with no real planning, and win the vast majority of my matches

I really don't think there's a lot of skill involved in doing that, so I'd have no problem with drizzle being banned.
rain is good on the lower parts of the ladder because there are fewer ppl prepared for it.
@woopers haven't even started ev training (doesn't help i restarted my diamond back in november + stopped playing in solaceon [yay i spelt it right, serebii ftw])+ even if i had my other games the teams both have tar since 1. i didn't know about the acid weather glitch at the time + 2.they were intended to be used against my friends via wireless connection anyway.

Last edited by fidgety; 01-15-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Void Offline

Quote:
I've made a non-weather team that handles rain perfectly - made specifically to beat Kingdra, in fact, since it's the only problem except Manaphy (who is Uber on the PO server anyway).

Rain is overhyped.
Exactly. You have made this non-weather team to counter rain, which means that drizzle is overcentralizing, which means it should be banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgety View Post
that is the thing other than kingdra + manaphy rain isn't as overpowered as everyone seems to believe. on the beta server my teams favorite thing too do is have chomp catch kingdra in a favorable environment + destroy it (since sand is a passable CHECK to rain) but, other wise rain isn't that bad. i had proposed an approach where smogon starts with kingdra and manaphy + tests rain without them as they are the only 100% broken abusers. if rain isn't balanced after that go after either ludicolo or kabutops who were the only other abusers that were being complained about.
Why would you ban that entire group of Pokemon when you could simply just ban a single ability under support clause? Really...
Old 01-15-2011, 03:18 PM
fidgety Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Exactly. You have made this non-weather team to counter rain, which means that drizzle is overcentralizing, which means it should be banned.

Why would you ban that entire group of Pokemon when you could simply just ban a single ability under support clause? Really...
the ideal meta has as many viable play-styles as possible removing drizzle on account of just offense removes a number of others unnecessarily + the only reason my approach even regarded ludicolo or kabutops was really more to gain support than anything else.
also support aspect doesn't actually apply since rain only overpowers a very select few of it's abusers, if the majority of rain abusers were suspect under drizzle then yes support aspect would apply but that isn't the case.
here are 2 cases where the support aspect was applied:
wobbuffet-almost gurenteed sweepers a round of setup.
(mix)mence-just about single-handedly removed stall as a playstyle.
edit: also centralization=/=over-centralization.

Last edited by fidgety; 01-15-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:03 AM
-Smoo- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via MSN to -Smoo-

Just threw together a team made up of Politoad, Ninetails, Tyranitar, Abomnasnow, Kingdra and a Shandera. I just had 6 different people forfeit against me in a row

But it just goes to show that without control of the weather, most players will now quit as they are dependant on it.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Quote:

I didn't make a team to counter rain, just making sure I can handle it. And besides, I said I made it to counter Kingdra. I don't think rain is the problem here, I think Kingdra is.

And besides, I make my team with other Pokemon in mind, such as Doryzuu and Sazandora. That's not overcentralizing.

Oh, and a bit of advice for people planning to do a Nuzlocke challenge on Black or White when they come out. Get a Darumakka. I was intending to capture a Zuruggu, but I caught a Darumakka instead. With Hustle and Fire Punch, it decimates things. It 2HKOs Dangoro, which any Pokemon does anyway due to Sturdy. It even OHKO'd Belle's Chaobuu with Fire Punch because I got a crit.

Last edited by Etymology; 01-16-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:22 PM
fidgety Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
I didn't make a team to counter rain, just making sure I can handle it. And besides, I said I made it to counter Kingdra. I don't think rain is the problem here, I think Kingdra is.

And besides, I make my team with other Pokemon in mind, such as Doryzuu and Sazandora. That's not overcentralizing.

Oh, and a bit of advice for people planning to do a Nuzlocke challenge on Black or White when they come out. Get a Darumakka. I was intending to capture a Zuruggu, but I caught a Darumakka instead. With Hustle and Fire Punch, it decimates things. It 2HKOs Dangoro, which any Pokemon does anyway due to Sturdy. It even OHKO'd Belle's Chaobuu with Fire Punch because I got a crit.
i assume you are using the Japanese version blue, if you aren't using an emulator don't even bother catching a zuruggu seeing as there is a wi-fi event strating on the 28th distributing them @ level 1 holding a muscle band.
edit : @smoo the issue is with that team it is horribly lacking in a balanced core, any above average player would take advantage + rip it apart.
also did i actually boost activity here by complete accident lol.

Last edited by fidgety; 01-16-2011 at 01:32 PM. Reason: spelling for the lose
Closed Thread