Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Black/White 2 » Pokemon: Black/White

Pokemon: Black/White Discuss the game: Pokemon Black and Pokemon White. Ask/Answer questions and discussions about Pokemon Black/White only.

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:12 AM
changoo Offline
Banned

Default Types in BW?

I think BW got some great Pokemon and typings, but overall, the Grass type kinda got shafted if you ask me. It's my favourite typing ever, period, so while it might be cool that we got Dark/Fighting and stuff running around, it doesn't matter to me as much. There's just way too many pure Grass types and overall I think last gen was much better for Grass. BW Grass types feel like missed opportunities, you know? We have a great Grass/Fighting legend, and Mebukijika's typing is unique, and Nuttre's typing is just utter wickedness, but the rest is nothing to write home about.

Erufuun should have been a Grass/Ghost (who said ghosts can't be cute?) given its mischievous nature, and yes, everyone's sick of hearing about it, but Jaroda could have been Grass/Dragon (then again, him being pure Grass wouldn't seem so "meh" if everyone else wasn't pure Grass too). And Water typing would have suited Marakachi well, if only so it's at least different somehow from every other gimmicky unevolved Grass type (Carnivine says hi). Yanakki should have been Grass/Fighting; it might seem like a Breloom remake, but actually they work quite differently, as Yanakki hasn't got powders to use or Poison Heal, and unlike Breloom, he's got great speed and good spA, so he'd have had a different competitive niche. Not to mention the pokeball mushroom guy would have been better off with Grass/Dark typing; he's got good defenses unlike Shiftry and Cacturne, plus access to Spore and other such moves.

It's not just typing itself, of course. The grassers this gen have stats a little too much like those of previous Grass types; Doredia is a sad case of amazing design meets boring typing meets some nifty moves (Sleep Powder, Butterfly Dance, confusion-free Petal Dance) meets horrible movepool. On the other hand, Erufuun has a nifty movepool, but it's lacking in the offenses department (aka suffers from the Jumpluff syndrome). Jeez, nobody is asking for the Grass version of Chandelar, but there's no good reason why half these guys should see little use in competitive battling due to these unnecessary limitations. So as far as Grass types go, I think this gen has been good to the type, but should have been much better.

My other fave type is Water, and I actually think this gen has been very good to the Water type (the last gen gave us good ones, but very few); I think that Daikenki is very good despite the haters (mixed sweeping ftw), and the water ghost is just amazing as is Abagora despite the otherwise awful typing. It is not, however, without drawbacks: there's no reason, period, why Basurao should exist. Swanna is a Pelipper pretending to be a swan; it looks great but her stats and the like are just idiotic. If you're going to make a Pokemon as good-looking as her, why not make her BETTER than Pelipper, rather than just as useless? The same thing happens with Gamagerog; he's not useless (and neither is Politoed) but the stat distribution is dumb. If you're gonna remake Politoed with a better typing, can't you distribute its stats differently? Seriously. And then we have Mamanbou; I love the thing, but its spD stat kills me. At least it's not useless, bad special defense and all. As for Hiyakki, he's not too bad, but Daikenki outclasses it in every way, even if it doesn't have the speed Hiyakki has.

But enough rambling; how do YOU feel about BW in relation to YOUR favourite types? Not enough Electrics? Great Fire types? Too many Dragons? What are your thoughts on each type?
Old 11-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Jessu Offline

Send a message via AIM to Jessu Send a message via MSN to Jessu Send a message via Skype™ to Jessu
Default Re: Types in BW?

I personally think there's way too many fire, fighting, and bug types. I think they tried to focus on those types just to get their count up. There aren't too many dragon types in the first place, so that type's perfectly fine.

kbye

Remember you're loved, and you always will be;
This melody will bring you right back home.

| Factfile | Quotes | Art | Sprites | POL |
Old 11-18-2010, 04:55 PM
NTT Offline
Experienced Trainer

]I don't some of get your suggestions for alternative typings. there is literally nothing about this Pokemon that is remotely ghost-like. Evolving from two prevos both characterised as Grass Snake Pokemon, I can't see any other connection to dragons aside from being reptilian. And Water Absorb is certainly fitting for a cactus, but Makarachi certainly doesn't fit Water type. I agree that the monkeys could quite easily have been fighting type, although then people complain about there being two Fire/Fighting Apes with the same ability and identical stat distributions. There's nothing Dark about the pokeball-fungus hybrid either.

Quote:
Doredia is a sad case of amazing design meets boring typing meets some nifty moves (Sleep Powder, Butterfly Dance, confusion-free Petal Dance) meets horrible movepool.
Agreed. Leech Seed+Butterfly Dance would have made an amazing combination in conjunction with Giga Drain's power increase. Baton Pass wouldn't have gone amiss either.

Quote:
Erufuun has a nifty movepool, but it's lacking in the offenses department (aka suffers from the Jumpluff syndrome).
Erufuun doesn't really need much offensive power, it's probably the best SubSeeder in the game now since it gets priority substitute, leech seed and encore. Making it threatening with offensive moves would turn it into Sceptile on steroids.

Quote:
but there's no good reason why half these guys should see little use in competitive battling due to these unnecessary limitations.
It might just be me, but I'm seeing a huge amount of people using Erufuun on Pokemon Online. It makes a great lead.

[/quote] as is Abagora despite the otherwise awful typing.[/quote]

I've found that Aba's offensive sets are much better than it's defensive ones, Swift Swift and Shell Break make it absolutely godly on rain teams. In this context Rock Typing is a help, providing a way to muscle past bulky Gyara who can take +1 Returns quite well.

Quote:
It is not, however, without drawbacks: there's no reason, period, why Basurao should exist. Swanna is a Pelipper pretending to be a swan; it looks great but her stats and the like are just idiotic. If you're going to make a Pokemon as good-looking as her, why not make her BETTER than Pelipper, rather than just as useless?
Let's face it, it wouldn't be a new generation of Pokemon if there weren't a few pieces of garbage =P

Quote:
But enough rambling; how do YOU feel about BW in relation to YOUR favourite types? Not enough Electrics? Great Fire types? Too many Dragons? What are your thoughts on each type?
I'm pretty happy with this gen, it's brought a lot more new interesting combinations of types than the last gen, although I do want to slap whoever decided we need ANOTHER fire/fighting starter. Zuruzukin's typing is one of my favourites, as is Urugamoth's.

Wifi (Soul Silver): 1677 6730 3945
Shoddy Battle (Smogon Server): NTT
Pokémon Online (Beta Server): NTT

Last edited by NTT; 11-18-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Ridley Offline

Send a message via AIM to Ridley

Erufuun's like one of the biggest threats in competitive as far as I've seen simply because it's Jumpluff on steroids with Mischevious Heart and priority sub/leech seed/whatever.

Also, tons of stuff is garbage? More like everything has high base stat totals that outclass earlier generations, and the guys are on par with older things and then seen as garbage. We have mediocre looking things with base stats of over 100 in more than one area.

We have Denchura (new ariados) with over 100 speed and SpA that's almost as high. Ariados had nothing above 80. Or something.
Pendoraa (new beedrill, maybe?), has over 110 speed. Attack isn't so bad either. Beedrill? Yeah nowhere near as close.
Shanderaa has 145 SpA. That's higher than almost everything in the game.
Then Aakeosu has 140 atk, 125, spa, 110 spe, and acrobat?

Tough looking things from older generations? Take a look back to Arbok and Nidoking, and they don't even have anything above 90.

this guy is garbage though lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessu View Post
I personally think there's way too many bug types.
bug is one of my favorite types and i'm really happy about this thank you very much

Last edited by Ridley; 11-18-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Judgmental Arceus Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Judgmental Arceus Send a message via Skype™ to Judgmental Arceus

I do admit the Grass final evo being purely typed is kind of a disappointment. I was also hoping for a Grass/Dragon combination :/

In any case the Dark-type at least got some wanted attention. Combinations with Fighting, Steel, and Dragon may mean that Game Freak and the Pokémon company at least listen to some requests made by fans for new pokémon

Im still waiting for Ghost to receive combinations with Steel, Fighting, Psychic and Grass. Sure Fire, Water, and Ground are a step in the right direction but at least cover the entire elemental quintet.

If I must have more hopes, if a Fighting/Dragon, Rock/Ice, Fire/Ice, or Dark/Psychic pokémon come out in Gen VI I will celebrate ^^
Old 11-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

I wanted a Fire/Dragon
I wanted an Electric/Dragon
I wanted them to NOT be on legendaries... =-=
Legendaries get most of the cool type combinations. It upsets me. Like with Giratina in Gen 4. Ghost Dragon...WHY COULDN'T HAVE YOU BEEN A NON LEGENDARY...*sulks*

Except Sazandora...Dark/Dragon type, HELL YEAH. Made me happy. Same with Ononokusu, a pure dragon type for once in a final evolution.

I wanted to see a Fire/Water type. Almost got there with the move Boiling water...

As for Jalorda being a Grass Dragon, it'd be another Ice cripple victim. Though I agree, it would have been freakin' awesome.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:23 AM
Ridley Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID Saraibre Ryu View Post
Legendaries get most of the cool type combinations.

I beg your pardon?

Last edited by Ridley; 11-19-2010 at 03:27 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:29 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Judgmental Arceus Send a message via Skype™ to Judgmental Arceus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley View Post

I beg your pardon?
I believe you are missing Urugamosu and Burungel thar.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:37 AM
WatchMeBeQuieter Offline
Elite Trainer

Enough with the Bug/Steel types, I say

Hork-Bajir . . . . Taxxon
Old 11-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

Quote:

I beg your pardon?
Keyword in my last post: MOST
Did I say all?
Nope.
I mentioned Sazandora in my last post as well. Some of the non-legendary Pokemon do have cool type combinations yes.. Gen five is the most out of the box thinking I've seen with types so far.

Also anyone notice this:
Fire/Dragon
Electric/Dragon
Ice/ Dragon
For the Gen 5 legendary trio...

Do the words 'do not disturb the harmony of fire ice and lightning' (or something of that accord) ring a bell anyone?
Old 11-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Ridley Offline

My opinion as far as legendary typing goes is that most legendaries have boring type combinations. Half of them are single type, with a lot of psychic, and half of the interesting combinations are not unique to that legendary.

Spoiler:

articuno - ice/flying - delibird
zapdos - elec/flying - emonga
moltres - fire/flying - charizard
mewtwo- mono
mew- mono
dog trio - mono
ho-oh- fire/flying - charizard
lugia - psychic/flying - xatu
celebi - grass/psychic - exeggutor
regi trio - mono
groudon - mono
kyogre - mono
rayquaza - dragon/flying - dragonite
jirachi - psychic/steel - metagross
deoxys - mono
pixie trio - mono
dialga - steel/dragon (unique)
palkia - water/dragon - kingdra
giratina - ghost/dragon (unique)
heatran - fire/steel (unique)
regigigas - mono
cresselia - mono
manaphy - mono
darkrai - mono
shaymin - mono
shaymin S - grass/flying - tropius
arceus - mono
victini - fire/psychic (unique)
kobaruon - steel/fighting - lucario
terakion - rock/fighting (unique)
virizion - grass/fighting - breloom
kerudio - water/fighting - poliwrath
tornelos - mono flying (unique, oddly enough)
voltolos - electric/flying - emonga
reshiram - dragon/fire (unique)
zekrom - dragon/electric (unique)

landlos - ground/flying - gligar
kyurem - ice/dragon (unique)
meloetta - normal/psychic - girafarig
meloetta S - normal/fighting (unique)
genosect - bug/steel - scizor

While a good handful are unique, most of the legendaries share their typing with at least one normal mon. That's all I'm saying.

(additionally, there are quite a few normal mons with cool, unique typing that aren't legendary)

Last edited by Ridley; 11-19-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
My opinion as far as legendary typing goes is that most legendaries have boring type combinations. Half of them are single type, with a lot of psychic, and half of the interesting combinations are not unique to that legendary.

Spoiler:

articuno - ice/flying - delibird
zapdos - elec/flying - emonga
moltres - fire/flying - charizard
mewtwo- mono
mew- mono
dog trio - mono
ho-oh- fire/flying - charizard
lugia - psychic/flying - xatu
celebi - grass/psychic - exeggutor
regi trio - mono
groudon - mono
kyogre - mono
rayquaza - dragon/flying - dragonite
jirachi - psychic/steel - metagross
deoxys - mono
pixie trio - mono
dialga - steel/dragon (unique)
palkia - water/dragon - kingdra
giratina - ghost/dragon (unique)
heatran - fire/steel (unique)
regigigas - mono
cresselia - mono
manaphy - mono
darkrai - mono
shaymin - mono
shaymin S - grass/flying - tropius
arceus - mono
victini - fire/psychic (unique)
kobaruon - steel/fighting - lucario
terakion - rock/fighting (unique)
virizion - grass/fighting - breloom
kerudio - water/fighting - poliwrath
tornelos - mono flying (unique, oddly enough)
voltolos - electric/flying - emonga
reshiram - dragon/fire (unique)
zekrom - dragon/electric (unique)

landlos - ground/flying - gligar
kyurem - ice/dragon (unique)
meloetta - normal/psychic - girafarig
meloetta S - normal/fighting (unique)
genosect - bug/steel - scizor

While a good handful are unique, most of the legendaries share their typing with at least one normal mon. That's all I'm saying.

(additionally, there are quite a few normal mons with cool, unique typing that aren't legendary)
Prior to Gen V, Zapdos was unique in typing and victini shares its typing with Daruma Mode Hihidaruma. In any case, this is mostly true. In addition, Latios and Latias are both Dragon/Psychic, making their typing unique within their family.