Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Black/White 2 » Pokemon: Black/White

Pokemon: Black/White Discuss the game: Pokemon Black and Pokemon White. Ask/Answer questions and discussions about Pokemon Black/White only.

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Official B/W Nuzlocke Challenge Thread

Well, I've decided to go for it. How about you? If you're not sure what the Nuzlocke Challenge is, the details with it are right here:

Nuzlocke Challenge Rules

And the two main core rules are:
  • Any Pokémon that faints is considered dead, and must be released.
  • The player may only catch the first Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first Pokémon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances.

Optional Rules

* Adjusting the first encounter rule to ban duplicate captures.
* Considering a black out/white out to be "game over," even if there are Pokémon left in the PC.
* Banning the use of potions and healing items, relying only on Pokémon Centers for healing.
* Banning the use of Pokémon Centers, relying only on potions and healing items for healing.
* Limiting Pokémon Center visits to a certain number per town.
* Banning the use of held items.
* Limiting the number of Poké Balls to purchase per Poké Mart.
* Banning the use of Master Balls.
* Rather than releasing the Pokémon, it can be migrated or permanently boxed should it happen to faint.
* The player may not evolve captured Pokémon, but evolved Pokémon may be caught.
* No catching of legendaries.
* Legendaries must be killed.

So in the end, its really up to you how tough you want to make it, but you need to at least follow the core rules.

So, feeling brave enough to do it? Join me and share your experiences.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Tsujin Offline

Default Re: Official B/W Nuzlocke Challenge Thread

Oho, I didn't think many people would be Nuzlocking it. I'm personally not but that's only because I'm too lazy to follow all the rules and grinding gets too repetitive for me. My friends Nuzlocking it though so it'll be interesting and funny to follow all the people who are.

| Friend Codes / Trade Thread / Battle Log |
| Me IRL / Pokerus Empire / YouTube |
Old 03-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Send a message via AIM to Etymology

This thread is now officially my second home. This summary is mostly going to be from memory, so it'll probably be a little fuzzy.

I've been Nuzlocking on Black ever since I got it. I started with Tepig, who I called Fanta (it was a Friday), and ever since I've had the naming scheme of soft drinks. I went on to capture a Lillipup, who I named SevenUp, and proceeded to battle Cress. We won without a hitch. After that we sorted out Team Plasma and caught ourselves a Munna.

I captured a Woobat from the cave near route 3, but she died shortly after. After I reached Nacrene City, the same happened with a Tympole (Pepsi) and an Audino (Milkshake) I found. I wasn't feeling very confident. Fanta had also managed to die in that time, too. It was mainly running on SevenUp and Munna, but we managed to defeat Lenora's duo.

Sewaddle was my next capture. It evolved into Leavanny pretty quickly. Castelia City was easy to take over, Burgh was little challenge to my team. I quickly proceeded to Nimbasa, where I managed to catch a Cinccino in a shaking grass patch (I called her CreamSoda). Elesa proved no match for my team of Herdier, Leavanny and Cincinno (I believe Munna had died at this point).

After Nimbasa, I captured a Trubbish (Coke), and then proceeded to cross the drawbridge. I captured a Vanillite in the Cooling Storage (Who I named IceCrmSoda) and defeated the Galactic goons who were hiding there. I don't remember where, but somewhere along the line I caught a Cottonee (named CloudedLMN). Me and CloudedLMN swept Driftveil Gym's trainers, and I was pretty confident. Then Clay's Krookodile got a crit Crunch on him, and KO'd it. I was so upset. Leavanny took care of him after that.

Up until the sixth gym, I had many changes to my team. Coke the Trubbish died, I captured and failed to defend a Deerling, I captured a Joltik which eventually ended up evolving and sweeping Skyla's team, I caught an Elgyem that died and a Foongus, named Champagne.

And then came the dreaded Twist Mountain. I had always been afraid of Twist Mountain due to a accident in my Japanese White Nuzlocke run. A Sawk managed to set up and knock out my entire party, bar one. I wouldn't let it happen again. No, not this time.

I progressed through Twist Mountain. I caught a Cubchoo, even, and I was pleased with myself, as they were pretty rare in Autumn. Even better, I managed to defeat the Sawk that had wiped out my party in the last Nuzlocke run.

But then I ran into another trainer. This time they carried Sawk's counterpart, Throh. My team was powerless against it. Leavanny could do nothing. Cincinno, Stoutland (my Herdier who had been with me since the start of my journey had finally evolved), Galvantula and Cubchoo would all succumb to its fighting and rock attacks. Champagne the Foongus was my best option. I switched as it continued to use Bulk Up. I managed to get a Toxic in, as it used a Rock type move to bring my Foongus down to red health. It would have fained if not for the Eviolite it held. I switched to Leavanny, trying to do some damage. We did little, as the Throh had too many Bulk Ups. It KO'd Leavanny with the aforementioned Rock move. Not wanting any more KOs, I sent in Stoutland, who was swiftly taken out with a Fighting move. The same happened to Cincinno. The Throh had almost had its HP depleted from the poison. I set in Cubchoo, thinking it would be fast enough to finish the thing off, as Foongus was faster than it earlier. I was aware Cubchoo and Foongus had the same speed, but chose the former because it could deal more damage.

Turns out, I must have got a lucky speed tie earlier. It KO'd Cubchoo, leaving only Champagne left. The poison then finished it off the turn I sent him in. I was lucky to get out alive. Using the Smoke Ball, I ran all the way out of Twist Mountain to heal and stock up, with only my Foongus with me. We made it through Twist Mountain, Champagne evolving along the way, although only bearly (pun definately intended).

Icirrus City was the perfect recovery point. I captured an Emolga just outside Dragonspiral Tower, and then went to revive the fossil at Nacrene City, giving me an Archen (Tizer). On the way back, I decided to capture a Pokemon at the routes I had missed, consisting of the Resort Desert and Route 18, which landed me a Sigilyph and a Dwebble (Appletiser). Sigilyph died shortly after that in training, but my team of Amoonguss, Archeops, Crustle (Archen and Dwebble both evolved in training) and Emolga were ready to defeat Brycen. It was easy, Crustle and Archeops had no trubble (again, another shameless pun).

I can sum Dragonspiral Tower up in four words. Druddigon. Domination. Badass cutscene.

Rinse and repeat for the Ancient Tower.

I was heading towards my eighth badge. I captured a Gothorita (FruitShoot) in Route 9, who was sent to the box and forgotten about until after the gym battle against Drayden. Unfortunately, Druddigon was killed against a Fraxure who I thought wouldn't KO me like all the other Fraxure's. I guess I was wrong.

Drayden was a piece of cake. Crustle took out the first two dragons, then a Flying Gem boosted Acrobatics from Archeops took out his Haxorus in one hit.

I withdraw Gothorita from the box, and this summary has no reached the point where I am in-game as of writing. I'll post more to outline how the E4 went (if I get there).

I'll probably draw some pictures to put underneath each paragraph later. Eh.

Current Team:

Appletiser (Crustle) Level 45
Lemonade (Emolga) Level 42
Champagne (Amoonguss) Level 44
Tizer (Archeops) Level 46
FruitShoot (Gothorita) Level 31

Last edited by Etymology; 03-08-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Geez, that's a lot of close calls there, dude. Great read though, definitely sounds like it made the game a heck of a lot more intense and exciting.

As for me, I started with Snivy, who I named Razor, and then caught a Lillipup (Scout) on Route 1. Shortly after that, I ended up catching a second Lillipup (Tyra) on Route 2, and I have the Panpour (Saber) that was handed to me in the Dreamyard. Thankfully, no casualties yet, but I did have a few close calls with Cress. Mainly had to stop due to the battery running low and requiring a recharge.

I like your idea giving all your Pokemon nicknames off a theme. I think I'll go with types of blades/swords, since my Snivy (Razor) and Panpour (Saber) both have names that fit that criteria, and I can come up with a few dozen more like that, including Dagger, Claymore, Dirk, Shiv, Katana, and many more.

-------------------------------------
Active Optional Rules (Besides Core Rules)
  • All Pokemon must be given nicknames.
  • Items (non-held) may only be used outside of battle.
  • Battle style must be “SET.”
  • Banning the use of Master Balls.
  • No catching of legendaries.
  • Legendaries must be killed.

Number of Gym Badges: 1

Current Roster
Number of Casualties: 0

►Razor the Snivy (Starter)
►Scout the Lillipup (@ Route 1)
►Tyra the Lillipup (@ Route 2)
►Saber the Panpour (@ Dreamyard)

Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Well, things turned a bit ugly lately...

Managed to catch another Lillipup, who I named Dirk on Route 3 (getting a bit sick of Lillipups :P) and a Roggenrola at Wellspring Cave, who I named Blade. And then Dreamyard turned into a graveyard when I ran into two Patrats who killed off Scout and Blade via Bide attacks as I was trying to train them. Absolutely lovely performance. And I was actually beginning to like that Roggenrola. Man, one wrong little slip and everything can get ugly real fast

But yeah, please no more Lillipups. XP

Still a lot of fun though, makes Pokemon a hell of a lot more interesting.

-------------------------------------
Active Optional Rules (Besides Core Rules)
  • All Pokemon must be given nicknames.
  • Items (non-held) may only be used outside of battle.
  • Battle style must be “SET.”
  • Banning the use of Master Balls.
  • No catching of legendaries.
  • Legendaries must be killed.

Number of Gym Badges: 1

Current Roster
Number of Casualties: 2

Scout the Lillipup (@ Route 1) (KIA from wild Patrat Bide attack at Dreamyard)
Blade the Roggenrola (@ Wellspring Cave) (KIA from wild Patrat Bide attack at Dreamyard)

►Razor the Snivy (Starter) [Lv. 16]
►Tyra the Herdier (@ Route 2) [Lv. 17]
►Saber the Panpour (@ Dreamyard) [Lv. 16]
►Dirk the Lillipup (@ Route 3) [Lv. 14]

Old 03-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orange_Flaaffy

Not trolling here or anything but...
I might just have done this Nuzlocke thingie in one of the other games (not B/W because I feel like they are already harder than the others to start with) if not for the fact that every topic about it I've come across seems to think to actually be doing it 'officially' you have to be using *all* these rules, not just the first two. And they add more and more and more to them (and acting like they are all just as official) o.o

For one I feel like the not using items thingie is simply stupid because they are an actual part of the game. If they weren't meant to be used you wouldn't be able to buy them...

Also, counting a whole city as one place and having to pick between two event pokemon doesn't seem the same to me as going into a wild route and catching one pokemon. IMHO because cities are manmade they shouldn't be limited, as how strong or not your pokemon are makes no difference there -.-

I've half a mind to make my own verison of the rules to better mimic the anime world. As far as ties to my pokemon I already name everyone, I never knew it was rare to care o.o
I always made the game harder for myself by not running back to the pokemon center after every battle in a gym anyway and played the game with almost no money from losing all the time *lol*

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art

Last edited by Orange_Flaaffy; 03-09-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_Flaaffy View Post
Not trolling here or anything but...
I might just have done this Nuzlocke thingie in one of the other games (not B/W because I feel like they are already harder than the others to start with) if not for the fact that every topic about it I've come across seems to think to actually be doing it 'officially' you have to be using *all* these rules, not just the first two. And they add more and more and more to them (and acting like they are all just as official) o.o

For one I feel like the not using items thingie is simply stupid because they are an actual part of the game. If they weren't meant to be used you wouldn't be able to buy them...

Also, counting a whole city as one place and having to pick between two event pokemon doesn't seem the same to me as going into a wild route and catching one pokemon. IMHO because cities are manmade they shouldn't be limited, as how strong or not your pokemon are makes no difference there -.-

I've half a mind to make my own verison of the rules to better mimic the anime world. As far as ties to my pokemon I already name everyone, I never knew it was rare to care o.o
I always made the game harder for myself by not running back to the pokemon center after every battle in a gym anyway and played the game with almost no money from losing all the time *lol*
I think it would be pretty much impossible to do this if you implemented all of the optional rules at once. If you can't use Pokemon Centers and can't use items, you're screwed. If your Pokemon doesn't run out of HP, they'll run out of PP for all their moves, and will eventually shoot themselves in the head with Struggle. Not to mention it would destroy your ability to grind.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Woodchuck Offline

Send a message via MSN to Woodchuck Send a message via Skype™ to Woodchuck

I might try to Nuzlocke it after I finish my current playthrough. Seems like a great way to breathe new life into the game. That second core rule is going to completely **** me over, though.

"Because without Twitter... You're f*cking nothing. Your life is just a burnt-out shell. You're like a husk."
Old 03-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

It's just to make things more challenging. Have Nuzlocke as hard as you want, just so long you have the 2 main rules in place.

Today...didn't go so well. I managed to net myself a Vullaby, and grinded my Gothorita up to about level 42. Cheren managed to kill off Vullaby in a freak accident, and Gothorita was later killed by another trainer along Route 10.

I still had my main three, Archeops, Amoonguss and Crustle, so I wasn't feeling too set back. However, a fatal accident in Victory road killed Archeops, and a training hazard back on Route 10 again managed to nail Amoonguss.

Now I've got one Pokemon, my Crustle, and I've got nowhere to catch Pokemon due to my ruleset. Great.

I'm going to get Crustle to about level 55-60, then challenge the E4. Just hope I can make it. TM and item usage will be vital here.

Current Team:
Crustle (Appletiser) Level 51.

For the battle against N and Geechisu, I'll probably draw up comic strips if I get that far. With the E4, I'll note down the battles moveplay and perhaps write a story for that part.

Last edited by Etymology; 06-12-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Quote:
I think it would be pretty much impossible to do this if you implemented all of the optional rules at once. If you can't use Pokemon Centers and can't use items, you're screwed. If your Pokemon doesn't run out of HP, they'll run out of PP for all their moves, and will eventually shoot themselves in the head with Struggle. Not to mention it would destroy your ability to grind.
That's what I thought. I mean there comes a point where it just seems like a twisted way to kill off all your pokemon, slowly or not, after so many rules.
I guess having feelings for your pokemon is some new thing to some players and they want to feel sadness :\. In today's desensitized world I guess I can understand that, but it seems like there is a breaking point to how much of the game you can take out of the game before it really isn't a game anymore -.-

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art

Last edited by Orange_Flaaffy; 03-09-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Tsujin Offline

Quote:
That's what I thought. I mean there comes a point where it just seems like a twisted way to kill off all your pokemon, slowly or not, after so many rules.
I guess having feelings for your pokemon is some new thing to some players and they want to feel sadness :\. In today's desensitized world I guess I can understand that, but it seems like there is a breaking point to how much of the game you can take out of the game before it really isn't a game anymore -.-
Well the whole point of Nuzlocke is to make little bonds with your pokemon and make the game harder. It's basically Pokemon Hard Mode.

| Friend Codes / Trade Thread / Battle Log |
| Me IRL / Pokerus Empire / YouTube |
Old 03-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsujin View Post
Well the whole point of Nuzlocke is to make little bonds with your pokemon and make the game harder. It's basically Pokemon Hard Mode.
I guess as someone who already makes bonds with her's it just seems a bit silly. You don't need a big list of rules to get that feeling and use each pokemon in place of just letting them sit in the box forever, or to give them nicknames and not overuse items etc...
I've beaten gyms with only one pokemon that is nearly gone and no items before. The fact that they can be brought back to life afterward doesn't cheapen anything about the bonds between my pokemon and I or the thrill of winning is all I mean :).

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art
Old 03-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Quote:
I guess as someone who already makes bonds with her's it just seems a bit silly. You don't need a big list of rules to get that feeling and use each pokemon in place of just letting them sit in the box forever, or to give them nicknames and not overuse items etc...
I've beaten gyms with only one pokemon that is nearly gone and no items before. The fact that they can be brought back to life afterward doesn't cheapen anything about the bonds between my pokemon and I or the thrill of winning is all I mean :).
The point was to make that bond even more intense. The thought of losing that Pokemon, after developing a little personality in your head and giving it a nickname, only made the bond closer, and it made your more protective of them and a better player in general.

Besides that, it's just another fun challenge to do. That's it.

Another part is to gain respect for Pokemon you wouldn't normally use. Nuzlocke forces you to use Pokemon you wouldn't normally capture. It's how I found a love for Volcarona, and even though he died and I lost the challenge, I still carry that respect for the species.

Last edited by Etymology; 03-09-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJello View Post
The point was to make that bond even more intense. The thought of losing that Pokemon, after developing a little personality in your head and giving it a nickname, only made the bond closer, and it made your more protective of them and a better player in general.

Besides that, it's just another fun challenge to do. That's it.

Another part is to gain respect for Pokemon you wouldn't normally use. Nuzlocke forces you to use Pokemon you wouldn't normally capture. It's how I found a love for Volcarona, and even though he died and I lost the challenge, I still carry that respect for the species.
*lol* Okay, whatever you want to do :). I guess I just find the games hard enough to start with. If anything is lacking I'd just rather write fanfic..

But I still say the idea of using *all* the rules together is just crazy, most of all when people add more and more new ones and act like they are just as official :P.

*edit* Also, I capture one of every pokemon. I've never had a problem with that :\. I don't need a rule to tell me to raise each pokemon *lol*

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art

Last edited by Orange_Flaaffy; 03-09-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Quote:
But I still say the idea of using *all* the rules together is just crazy, most of all when people add more and more new ones and act like they are just as official :P.
Oh! I think you've misunderstood. The idea of a Nuzlocke is to use the two core rules, and then add optional rules if you wish. You don't need to use all of the rules Neo posted, maybe pick and choose dependant on how hard you want the game to be. And adding new rules is part of the fun! I remember a run where I had to roll dice after each major battle, and dependant on the number on the dice, certain effects would occur. Basically, Nuzlocke can be your own creation!
Closed Thread