Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Role Play » Role Play Sign Ups & Discussion

Role Play Sign Ups & Discussion Sign up for and discuss Role Plays here. Have anything to ask about a Role Play you're in, or need to put up extra info for people to refer to? What if you need help with an idea that's missing that extra kick? Do it all here!

Old 12-19-2010, 05:28 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: [DS] TEAM RP - The Synth Crisis Discussion

If you think about it, trying to build a flying city would be an extremely costly and time-consuming project. Meanwhile, you'd have to find a way to get food and water up to it, find a way for it to get electrical power, and even get people onto it in the first place.

Up to you, though, I wouldn't say its impossible. Again, the RP is science fiction based, don't be too quick to crack open a physics book. Its more enjoyable if people are more open-minded in terms of what's allowable.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:07 AM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewcario View Post
Or if you'd like to go for a more 'Bioshock'-esque city, it would be feasible to have a pressure-treated glass domed underwater city with all of the water pumped out of the dome and have an air filtering system to send clean, filtered air from the surface and exhaust stale air out of the city.
Funny you should mention Bioshock in the midst of a flying city discussion...

If anyone has seen the trailers, Bioshock Infinite is based in a flying city setting. They even explained it in the short sequence of an episode of EP. I can see it being held up on it's own by lightning towers, generators, pressurized gasses, so on and so forth.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:37 PM
2gamers Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giratina View Post
Also true. It would be easier to make a city on a mountain. But we would still need benevolent, pro-humanity squads of Hybrids or Chimaeras to do so, because really, who's going to build a habitat for the humans if the racism Neo described is going on?
Just browsing, but I thought I would add my thoughts.

What if the mountain city existed prior to the Synth disaster? Maybe this city/town was so rural it didn't have it's own Synth power plant. I could easily see Blackthorn City or even a small population of trainers stranded on Indigo Plateau qualify for such.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
You're kidding right? With enough propulsion or propellers, it's quite possible but expensive to keep up so nobody wants to do it. Also you never mentioned what's wrong with flying buildings from Batman Beyond. You can Google or Youtube for clips, but this did exist in there.

Also the SHEILD hellicarrier from Marvel seems to have no trouble staying up for long periods of time. The amount of agents in there is relative to a small city. The idea is basically adopting helicopter technology to a larger mass, and finding a way to power it for long periods of time.

This is all fiction, so even if you start saying that these two references still are unfeasible IRL, consider that fictional references do exist.

Stilts? What's to stop malicious people from just destroying the stilts?
Did I not specifically state that you can BS something since this is an RP? I am saying that flying cities are horrifically unfeasible in reality. Using examples from cartoons and comics does not help your case. Laputa is a magical flying island in Gulliver's Travels, that doesn't mean magical flying islands are feasible in reality. You simply seem to think that a flying city is a simple extension of already-existing technology. It is not. You cannot simply make something bigger then expect it to still work.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 12-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Windchaser54321 Offline
Amateur Trainer

Excuse me for butting in on the entire flying city debate, but...

Question: Since the sign-ups were a day early, does that mean the role play will start a day early, too?
Old 12-19-2010, 07:38 PM
bronislav84 Offline

Send a message via AIM to bronislav84 Send a message via MSN to bronislav84 Send a message via Yahoo to bronislav84

Where did I mention magic Lus, where? Nowhere did i suggest BSing with sorcery, which is the definition of BS just because of it being magic which is not real IRL.

And yet the SHIELD hellicarrier example does work off an extension of existing technology. Marvel Comics are set only slightly in the future. I'm talking about the one from the recent Avengers cartoon specifically, or even the 1900s Spiderman cartoon. Go look it up before you say it's impossible to use helicopter technology to keep something of that size aloft, please.
Bronislav is my name and 1984 is my birth year. Call me Bron or Slavik if you can't say my full name. Banner/Ava by the illustrious Neo Pikachu Emolga R.I.P. August 13, 2007 3:45AM EST Simkha "Dosha" Bakman I loved you, Grandpa Check this out, it's really cool!

Last edited by bronislav84; 12-19-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchaser54321 View Post
Excuse me for butting in on the entire flying city debate, but...

Question: Since the sign-ups were a day early, does that mean the role play will start a day early, too?
Nah, that will start on time. I just thought it would be a little helpful for an extra day to get SUs ready and stuff.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Giratina Offline

How about we resolve it this way: if the need for a flying city suddenly comes up in the roleplay, we create a list of justifiable reasons for making a flying city, and make a flying city. No need to argue over something that may or may not exist.

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 12-19-2010, 11:03 PM
bronislav84 Offline

Send a message via AIM to bronislav84 Send a message via MSN to bronislav84 Send a message via Yahoo to bronislav84

I'm ok with that if Lus is.
Bronislav is my name and 1984 is my birth year. Call me Bron or Slavik if you can't say my full name. Banner/Ava by the illustrious Neo Pikachu Emolga R.I.P. August 13, 2007 3:45AM EST Simkha "Dosha" Bakman I loved you, Grandpa Check this out, it's really cool!
Old 12-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giratina View Post
How about we resolve it this way: if the need for a flying city suddenly comes up in the roleplay, we create a list of justifiable reasons for making a flying city, and make a flying city. No need to argue over something that may or may not exist.
Congratulations! You win the thread!

Seriously, it should always be done this way.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Giratina Offline

/victory lap!

Seriously though. Thanks. XD Didn't make much sense to be arguing about the city that never was, eh?

... /curses

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 12-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
Where did I mention magic Lus, where? Nowhere did i suggest BSing with sorcery, which is the definition of BS just because of it being magic which is not real IRL.

And yet the SHIELD hellicarrier example does work off an extension of existing technology. Marvel Comics are set only slightly in the future. I'm talking about the one from the recent Avengers cartoon specifically, or even the 1900s Spiderman cartoon. Go look it up before you say it's impossible to use helicopter technology to keep something of that size aloft, please.
Your argument that something is possible... is that it exists in a 1900s Spiderman cartoon?

._.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 12-19-2010, 11:34 PM
bronislav84 Offline

Since you don't want to drop it......

Why yes, yes it is. Go look up the references, or DROP IT.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Charizard Michelle Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charizard Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Your argument that something is possible... is that it exists in a 1900s Spiderman cartoon?

._.
Yeah. SHIELD in the 90's Spiderman cartoon had a flying base like they do all the time. The parody SHIELD in Venture Brothers has a flying fortress in the sky too.

I need to find a new girl-on-girl animation.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:05 AM
RocketMeowth Offline
Spazztacular

Send a message via AIM to RocketMeowth Send a message via MSN to RocketMeowth

=D How about some cake? Does anyone want any cake? It comes with healing preservatives that help the body cope with injury. This cake is not a lie.

The synth gas could be a lie.... it could tell us that it came to my birthday and in reality, it blew me off cause of indifference.

Anyways, with all the racial schtuff going on in the RP, how many people would there really be who would join up with hybrids and chemera? Or is that number souly up to us RPers of brilliance?

......... that offer of cake is still up by the way...

=^^= Nya