Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions Welcome to the forum! Introduce yourselves here.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Natolio Offline
New Trainer

Default Old User just got back into Pokemon!

Hey guys,

I registered here a while back, but I have just got back into the games. My girlfriend is looking to buy me a nintendo ds for my birthday along with either black or white version. Looking forward to it! Not my birthday until 26th March though :(

I just have a few questions though, how easy is Pokemon to play these days? The last games I played were Gold and Silver (and I don't mean Heart Gold/Soul Silver haha). So as you can see I haven't played in a while. I am told about something called IVs which you have to look after? What is it? I know it's something each pokemon has.

I still find it frustrating you can't get all pokemon on one version, dam trading...I don't have anyone to trade with! And I'm not buying more than one ds haha.

Also what version of DS is going to be the best to get for Black/White version? I see the new 3DS is out soon! But would a DSi be any good?
Old 02-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Old User just got back into Pokemon!

From what I hear, the original DS games will not be available for the 3DS's 3D effect, but other than that they are fine. I would suggest a DSi because you might want to get some Pokemon from the GBA games, but it is up to you.

The games have not changed much at all. Same formula with a few additions such as new moves and Pokemon. The EVs are simply just training a Pokemon with a certain type of foe that boosts a certain stat, if I understand it correctly myself.

For instance, if you train a Weavel and feed it ten of whatever the vitamin is that boosts speed, and then train it on Magikarp until it levels up, its speed stat will gain +5 or 6 instead of the normal 1 or 2 points.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Natolio Offline
New Trainer

Thanks for the welcome :)

That sounds cool about EVs, I am guessing it would become pretty expensive to do that kind of thing! But worth it in the end! Would make your pokemon very powerful.

I was just looking at some consoles, I was going to say I might get the DSi or DSiXL. And I might play some old pokemon games if I need the pokemon from that game. I have heard something about being able to trade over wifi worldwide, is this true?

Also, a couple more questions
Is it better to catch a lower level or higher level pokemon?
Is it better to let a pokemon evolve sooner or later?

EDIT: Also is it going to be possible to catch pokemon from the older games on Black/White? I know I won't be able to get pokemon like the legendary pokemon or other starter pokemon.

Last edited by Natolio; 02-25-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

It is possible, but only after you beat the Elite 4 and the game.

Also, it is best to raise Pokemon from a lower level, but it really does not matter.

Some prefer to let it evolve naturally, others let it evolve later so it can get better moves sooner. It all depends on your play style.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Mr420 Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natolio View Post
Thanks for the welcome :)

That sounds cool about EVs, I am guessing it would become pretty expensive to do that kind of thing! But worth it in the end! Would make your pokemon very powerful.

I was just looking at some consoles, I was going to say I might get the DSi or DSiXL. And I might play some old pokemon games if I need the pokemon from that game. I have heard something about being able to trade over wifi worldwide, is this true?

Also, a couple more questions
Is it better to catch a lower level or higher level pokemon?
Is it better to let a pokemon evolve sooner or later?

EDIT: Also is it going to be possible to catch pokemon from the older games on Black/White? I know I won't be able to get pokemon like the legendary pokemon or other starter pokemon.
all good questions there poke bro.
1stly I myself am saving to get a DSiXL it is my presonal opinin & by seeing other trainers with theirs XLs @ the Mall Tour the the bigger screen makes for WAY better gaffix..crystal clear ?.? its all up to what you can afford tho so dont feel too bad.. you can always trade in your old Lite or DSi to Gamestop for credit on a XL i hear they have a good deal especially if you're in thier power up crew or clan ( i am)

Also I want to let you know scope this bad Mofo out i want this, but im saving for the XL.
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/9416...on-dsi-bundles
^ its a friggin bindle. if you want to get back into pkmn do it in style you get a beyond decent DSi & you get the fresh new white or Black.. good you say. I do
your 1st post mentioned IVs.. then some one talked about EVs.. so its hard to determine which you really want to know about..

EVs are what your pkmn earn for defeating another pkmn in battle. Your mission is to max out your EVs (and this is the hard part you must do it properly to maximize EV training) and put accordingly to how you wish your pkmn to perform..
Speed EVs will help your pkmn perform faster where Def EVs will help better protect your pkmn from phisycal attaks. you get the jist right?

IVs are the hidden numbers your pkmn have upon you catching/hatching them .
its harder to control these numbers but heres a quick run down.
6 stats right> Hp/Atk/Def/SpAtk/SpDef/Speed.
for this example you hatched a Bagon so here are the IVs(but they cant regularly be seen)
18/31/18/17/6/31
the higher the number per STAT the better that one that will be. the game has it so you either get 0 -31 IV.. *hit dude your Bagon with proper Ev training will have maxx attack & speed and decent other stats not counting SpDef see that^
IVs should matter unless you plan to battle competitively.. EVs should matter even for In Game (but thats just me)

evolving pkmn is all up to youits true tho that most if not all pkmn will learn a certain better move earlier if you dont evolve it than if you had. EX seadra if you dont evolve it will learn Dragon dance & hydro pumpin say lv 37 & 47 than if you evovle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
It is possible, but only after you beat the Elite 4 and the game.Also, it is best to raise Pokemon from a lower level, but it really does not matter.
Some prefer to let it evolve naturally, others let it evolve later so it can get better moves sooner. It all depends on your play style.
Actually you stand corrected.. In Gen V upon getting your C-Gear can (if nintendo doesn't delay) SYNC your game to the Dream World and catch pkmn from other regions and bring those into your copy of Black or White.. and its perfectly fine and legal...

Pokérus Empire

Last edited by Mr420; 02-25-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Fushigidane Offline

Send a message via AIM to Fushigidane Send a message via Skype™ to Fushigidane

Quote:
Hey guys,

I registered here a while back, but I have just got back into the games. My girlfriend is looking to buy me a nintendo ds for my birthday along with either black or white version. Looking forward to it! Not my birthday until 26th March though :(

I just have a few questions though, how easy is Pokemon to play these days? The last games I played were Gold and Silver (and I don't mean Heart Gold/Soul Silver haha). So as you can see I haven't played in a while. I am told about something called IVs which you have to look after? What is it? I know it's something each pokemon has.

I still find it frustrating you can't get all pokemon on one version, dam trading...I don't have anyone to trade with! And I'm not buying more than one ds haha.

Also what version of DS is going to be the best to get for Black/White version? I see the new 3DS is out soon! But would a DSi be any good?
Hey, welcome! I don't really understand IV's either, TBH, but Pokemon is a heck of a lot easier to play if you don't play competitively.

To answer your DS question, it doesn't really matter IMO. I assume the later Pokemon games will be on 3DS, but if you want get a more inexpensive DS, get a regular DS/DSi.

Also, check out the URPG forums and try URPG out. It's very fun.

Karrablast & Shelmet
Hatched at 2139
Evolves into Escavalier & Accelgor at 2279
Level 100 at 2524

Viridian Forest Forums - A Pokemon forum
Old 02-26-2011, 04:08 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Hey, welcome to PE2K! It's definitely a good time to get back into Pokemon. Looks like most of your questions have been covered, but yes, you can trade Pokemon with anyone in the world over WiFi! It's really cool if you don't have an extra DS or know people around you that play Pokemon. Anyway, hope you enjoy the forum! If you're looking for something to do around here, you can check out this thread. =)
Old 02-26-2011, 06:01 AM
ada123 Offline
New Trainer

Truly Awesome this is.. I really like to read these all posts.. This is really wonderful to be here in all of you.. I think this is my best decision to be here in this forum site,..
Old 02-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Trent Reznor Offline

Send a message via AIM to Trent Reznor Send a message via MSN to Trent Reznor Send a message via Skype™ to Trent Reznor

Welcome to the forum!

Glad to see how other people are answering, since I'm not actually into Pokemon.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:16 AM
Judgmental Arceus Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Judgmental Arceus Send a message via Skype™ to Judgmental Arceus

Welcome to our humble forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
I would suggest a DSi because you might want to get some Pokemon from the GBA games, but it is up to you.
Hate to burst your bubble, but the DSi doesn't have a GBA slot. Only the original DS and the DS Lite do.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Natolio Offline
New Trainer

Wow that sucks that the DSi doesn't have a GBA slot! How do you go about getting old pokemon onto your newer games then?

Also how is wifi done on a worldwide scale? I remember there being some kind of website you could do it on? I'm assuming members on here trade?

I also have a few more questions that I have thought of:
What are there natures all about?
Does a pokemon stand to lose anything if it faints? Like will it lose XP, IVS etc?
Also, just a general question really, what is the "best" pokemon? Or can you train any pokemon to be the best?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Mr420 Offline

Quote:
Wow that sucks that the DSi doesn't have a GBA slot! How do you go about getting old pokemon onto your newer games then?

Also how is wifi done on a worldwide scale? I remember there being some kind of website you could do it on? I'm assuming members on here trade?
you're questions (TO ME) are kinda vague. I want to give you some solid advice but the real deal is there are all kinds of pkmn trainers not all of them are into the same deal when it comes to your handheld (any) version.

some people like myself may have 2 DSes to allow us to migrate from GEN III into our Gen IV games which i assume you have.. I'm certain that a resourceful cat like yourself can find even a friend or obscure relative who has a DS or the LITE so as to allow you to migrate all your prized pkmn into your newer game.

The WiFi question...well when you add a Friend Code into your game all that is required for you to Trade or Battle is to make and set a time and day to be Online Via the down stairs WiFi room and Vuala. one of you will host the Trade or Battle session..

I believe the site is now closed down it was the GTS and yes that was used on a global level to find and make trades over WiFi ..

I also have a few more questions that I have thought of:
What are there natures all about?
Does a pokemon stand to lose anything if it faints? Like will it lose XP, IVS etc?
Also, just a general question really, what is the "best" pokemon? Or can you train any pokemon to be the best?

Natures help make your pokemon better suited for battle. There are 25 or 26 natures and they break off into Natures that make your Pokemons Speed better, or Attack better, or Special Attckers, or Defensive, or Special Defensive or have high HP. for a better Explanation check out Bulbapedia/natures.

No when your pokemon faint they dont lose EX nor do they lose IVs ( actually they cant ever lose IVs) but if they faint they dont get EVs nor do they Gain any EXP.
on another note you've heard of pkmn Happiness? if you battle them and they lose alot they do lose happiness (huh?) the word here is they perform better @ max happiness. Though I do want to say this there is a move out there which performs better when your pkmn has low happiness & i think its called frustration -
Im assuming you want to get into WiFi battles and or trading (items or pkmn)

Pokérus Empire
Old 03-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Natolio Offline
New Trainer

Yer my gf is buying me a DSi for my bday :) So I will "want to catch em all" lol. I vaguely remember happiness. I was trying to evolve an eevee into something else and I read it had to be done through happiness but I could never get it to happen no matter how many haircuts I gave the dam thing haha.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:08 AM
Mr420 Offline

Quote:
Yer my gf is buying me a DSi for my bday :) So I will "want to catch em all" lol. I vaguely remember happiness. I was trying to evolve an eevee into something else and I read it had to be done through happiness but I could never get it to happen no matter how many haircuts I gave the dam thing haha.
yes you have the right idea, you can get Eevee to evolve into Espeon by maxxing happiness during the day and Umbreon @ night. You can use berries(look at the summary to help find which it likes) Vitamins(my fav), have it hold a soothe bell & ride around, like you said massages or hair cuts depending your game.

Pokérus Empire