Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling » Rate My Team

Rate My Team Get your competitive battling team rated here and get help with movesets and battling strategies.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Joel's Avatar
Joel Offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,843
Send a message via Yahoo to Joel
Default Tornadus (Tailwind set analysis)

Tornadus @ Eject Button
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 Def/252 SpDef/4 HP
Moveset: Tailwind/Taunt/Torment/Toxic

The ideal here is to first have a Poke that has set up rocks. I personall have been using Hippowdon, since it can also set up Sandstorm. Leet your entry hazard poke faint on purpose after setting up hazards, then bring in Tornadus. Tornadus can't take much of a hit, so don't just switch it in. When it comes in, a free Choice Scarf is pretty much given to whatever other Poke on your team that wants it, but without the drawback of having to lock into one move. I have been teaming Tornadus with Hone Claws, Life Orb, Garchomp, and Life Orb Chandelure. Taunt in combination with Troment allows you to still beat Wobbufett, Chansey, and Blissey.
__________________

I also occasionally do wifi battles.
  #2  
Old 03-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Viva la Gofre's Avatar
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Merry Old England
Posts: 1,540
Default Re: Tornadus (Tailwind set analysis)

Meh, I don't like this set. Aside from the potential one-turn setup, I fail to see why you'd dedicate something to setting up tailwind when you could just as easily baton pass an agility, which offers a higher boost and isn't temporary. Tailwind has always been very gimmicky and ineffective, doomed to exist with the other pseudo-modifiers like gravity and trick room. However if you were really wanting to try this;
252HP/208Def/48SpDef@Careful offers the best balanced defences. Maximising HP gives a higher amount of general bulk than simply maxing out the two defensive stats.
Acrobatics over Torment. It stops opposing genies from using you as setup bait when their own Taunts outpace yours. It also lets you finish off weakened threats after shedding your escape button, and no Chansey or Blissey is going to enjoy taking a base 110 STAB move from a base 115 Attack stat, regardless of EV investment. Wobbuffet isn't something you want to build your set around countering, even now it's free from Ubers its usage is at an all time low.

On another note;

Quote:
I have been teaming Tornadus with Hone Claws, Life Orb, Garchomp,
Does this mean you're using HG on Garchomp? The commas are confusing me =P
  #3  
Old 03-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Joel's Avatar
Joel Offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,843
Send a message via Yahoo to Joel
Default Re: Tornadus (Tailwind set analysis)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre View Post
Meh, I don't like this set. Aside from the potential one-turn setup, I fail to see why you'd dedicate something to setting up tailwind when you could just as easily baton pass an agility, which offers a higher boost and isn't temporary. Tailwind has always been very gimmicky and ineffective, doomed to exist with the other pseudo-modifiers like gravity and trick room. However if you were really wanting to try this;
252HP/208Def/48SpDef@Careful offers the best balanced defences. Maximising HP gives a higher amount of general bulk than simply maxing out the two defensive stats.
Acrobatics over Torment. It stops opposing genies from using you as setup bait when their own Taunts outpace yours. It also lets you finish off weakened threats after shedding your escape button, and no Chansey or Blissey is going to enjoy taking a base 110 STAB move from a base 115 Attack stat, regardless of EV investment. Wobbuffet isn't something you want to build your set around countering, even now it's free from Ubers its usage is at an all time low.

On another note;



Does this mean you're using HG on Garchomp? The commas are confusing me =P
Yes, it does mean Hone Claws are being used on Chomp. Most people tell me to just use Swords Dance, but I like the accuracy boost for Stone Edge and Dragon Rush, and the crit and flinch rates that come with them, but that discussion isn't for this thread.

I will try your suggestion, especially the EV spread soon, and let you know how it goes. And ask anybody that knows me that battles, if there is one person they know that can make a gimmick work in a competitive format, it's me. I always though Tailwind was trash myself in gen 4, but with Tornadus, maybe not so much. It can work with just about any teammates. I have also been murdering teams giving the Tainwind boosts to Guts Heracross, and Iron Fist Hitmonchan in OU, as well.
__________________

I also occasionally do wifi battles.
  #4  
Old 03-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Viva la Gofre's Avatar
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Merry Old England
Posts: 1,540
Default Re: Tornadus (Tailwind set analysis)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy the Great View Post
Yes, it does mean Hone Claws are being used on Chomp. Most people tell me to just use Swords Dance, but I like the accuracy boost for Stone Edge and Dragon Rush, and the crit and flinch rates that come with them, but that discussion isn't for this thread.

I will try your suggestion, especially the EV spread soon, and let you know how it goes. And ask anybody that knows me that battles, if there is one person they know that can make a gimmick work in a competitive format, it's me. I always though Tailwind was trash myself in gen 4, but with Tornadus, maybe not so much. It can work with just about any teammates. I have also been murdering teams giving the Tainwind boosts to Guts Heracross, and Iron Fist Hitmonchan in OU, as well.
It's not that it can't be worked, it's just that I can't see it being a more effective strategy than conventional speed passing. The ability to imbue the entire team with a boost is nice and all, but 3 turns isn't much to work with unless it's a late game sweep. If there were an ability/item that could extend its duration like Damp/Heat Rock, then I could certainly see teams making use of it, but otherwise I'd rather just stick to throwing a single poke a +2 boost. Nevertheless I'll give it a go, I've been seeing great success using Tornadus as a Bulk Up sweeper in UU so it could be interesting to see what he can do on a supportive front too.
  #5  
Old 03-11-2011, 12:47 AM
Joel's Avatar
Joel Offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,843
Send a message via Yahoo to Joel
Default Re: Tornadus (Tailwind set analysis)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre View Post
It's not that it can't be worked, it's just that I can't see it being a more effective strategy than conventional speed passing. The ability to imbue the entire team with a boost is nice and all, but 3 turns isn't much to work with unless it's a late game sweep. If there were an ability/item that could extend its duration like Damp/Heat Rock, then I could certainly see teams making use of it, but otherwise I'd rather just stick to throwing a single poke a +2 boost. Nevertheless I'll give it a go, I've been seeing great success using Tornadus as a Bulk Up sweeper in UU so it could be interesting to see what he can do on a supportive front too.
Here are a few more partners to try and team it with...

Excadrill (Sand Rush ability): If you start like I did, with a Hippo throwing up rocks, you also have sand. With an Adamant nature, and Max speed, it can have 405 Atk, and 1,100 (not a typo) Speed. Baloon or Life Orb should be the hold item.

Herecross (Guts ability): 574 Atk, and 538 Speed is nothing to laugh at. You outspeed allunboosted, non-scarfed Pokes.

Jolteon (Quick Feet ability): Modest nature gets you 350 SpAtk, and 718 Speed. Get a revenge kill boost from Charge Beam to top it off, and it is good to go.

As you can see, after Tornadus' Eject Button gets him out of play after setting up Tailwind, none of these three haved to worry about same type weaknesses from Choice item holding Pokes, either.
__________________

I also occasionally do wifi battles.
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com