Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Other Chat

Other Chat For non-Pokemon discussion on everything else. For casual talk only, any more serious topics such as current events, should be in the Discussion. You can talk about anything else that is not covered in the other "Other Boards" that are above.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:30 AM
Pokémon Breeder Shane Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Pokémon Breeder Shane
Default Languages you know, are learning, or would like to learn!~

I'm attending college for English and Language so I thought why not? Any languages you know, are learning, or would like to learn?

Obviously I speak English
Parlo un po italiano.

I'm also learning Russian and Norwegian and obviously Italian

Hatch; 618
Scrafty; 720
Mastered; 903
VPP
White FC: 0647-7240-3912
Completed Projects:
ポケモンの育種家シェイン
Old 07-14-2011, 04:42 AM
Operative Offline

Send a message via MSN to Operative Send a message via Skype™ to Operative
Default Re: Languages you know, are learning, or would like to learn!~

I know English fluently, and I'd really like to learn my native language- Tagalog, and I'm determined to learn Korean as well.

|thedynamicduo|
Old 07-14-2011, 04:57 AM
Pokémon Breeder Shane Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Pokémon Breeder Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operative View Post
I know English fluently, and I'd really like to learn my native language- Tagalog, and I'm determined to learn Korean as well.
Tagalog is such a pretty language. Korean seems like such a confusing looking language, but then again a lot of people say Hiragana and Katakana of the Japanese language look difficult

Hatch; 618
Scrafty; 720
Mastered; 903
VPP
White FC: 0647-7240-3912
Completed Projects:
ポケモンの育種家シェイン
Old 07-14-2011, 08:54 AM
bobandbill Offline

Send a message via MSN to bobandbill

I know Polish - I'm not great with it but I know enough to get by, really. I also know bits of Japanese but that's more in the way of karate-based instructions. XD

'Tis a parody of the game with more explanations than you can shake a pastry at.
[Banner by cieux of sppf]

Check out this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributers!

Why should you? Well, Wyanut?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokémon Breeder Shane View Post
I'm attending college for English and Language so I thought why not? Any languages you know, are learning, or would like to learn?

Obviously I speak English
Parlo un po italiano.

I'm also learning Russian and Norwegian and obviously Italian
My native language is (Mexican) Spanish, although my second language, English, is stronger due to being schooled in it since I was ten. Since this is essentially just the amount of advance vocabulary I know (as in, vocabulary outside every day conversations), I'm remedying this by reading and writing more.

I'm learning Finnish in my spare time. It's an extremely different language from English and Spanish, both in grammar and vocabulary, but that's what makes it interesting. I'm going to pick up German in college this upcoming Spring. Also, I want to learn a Scandinavian language (Norwegian, Swedish, or Danish) because not only are they very similar (and would make acquiring the others easier), but there's something in each of them that draws me:

Swedish - how melodic it sounds
Danish - its strange, alien pronunciation (though like English, it's not written as how it's pronounced, which is a turnoff.)
Norwegian - I can't put my finger on it; I think it's a combination of the two above.

ALSO (I have to stop myself, don't I?) I really want to learn Portuguese, particularly Brazilian Portuguese. With my Spanish, I can understand about 75 - 80% of Portuguese texts, but their pronunciation is so different that it's exotic. :D (I agree with one Brazilian that says it's like speaking your native language wrong.)

Oh, and as for Korean, unlike Chinese and Japanese (in some cases), Korean Hangul is an alphabet and not that difficult to read (and I'm guessing to write) once you study it. I heard that is Korean grammar that trips up people. Once person also commented that they have a lot of difficult hearing "word barriers" in Korean; they can pick up a couple of words when listening to Korean radio, dramas, etc. Personally, Korean doesn't really draw me, unlike Mandarin Chinese, Cantonese, Thai, and Japanese.

(If you want a confusion-looking language, take a look at Vietnamese (and Polish). All those diacritics can make your head spin.)

(Oh, but I would love to learn Polish. It's my favorite Slavic language. Croatian is pretty cool, too. Russian, eh, not that alluring. Czech is okay, as is Slovak. I haven't heard much Serbian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, and Belorussian. Romanian is pretty Slavic-sounding even though it's a Romance language.)

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce

Last edited by Phantom Kat; 07-14-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Ich bin mir ziemlich sicher, es gibt noch andere themen, die gerade das bedeuten. Vielleicht in einem anderen thread posten.

Er. I mean. Ehehe... You can figure it out, neh? German and English are brothers when it comes to language. xD
Old 07-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Mageta Offline

Send a message via MSN to Mageta Send a message via Skype™ to Mageta

Okay, English is my born language.

I took german in Primary School - Forget everything exept Good bye

Took Japanese for the 1st two years of Secondary school - Dropped out if it. - I Still know a bit

And I can speak Pokemon.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

I speaka da english. 8D

ICH BIN AWESOME.

Okay. But really, I know a bit of Indonesian, German and Italian as well. And some words in Japanese and Latin. But I'm not proficient in using them in any way. xD

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Old 07-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Foxamivalth Offline

Send a message via MSN to Foxamivalth

I know Indonesian and Cantonese.
I use English when need be, especially on a Forum (like this).
I understand what Malay speaks but dunno how to speak. Indonesian's and Malay's language are really alike.
I understand Chinese a little bit.

I'd like to learn Japanese. But the Grammar and Hiragana as well as Katakana are difficult to be understood.
Understanding other language will be good either.

Banner by Pokemon Trainer Sarah
Old 07-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Doodlebop Offline

I'll be honest, learning different languages is very hard for me. I'm not entirely positive why. Maybe I just don't have the patience, maybe I don't have the memory, or maybe I'm just plain dumb.

Anyway, I know english (more or less). I plan on learning Latin. I tried last year but it didn't really work so I'm going to have another go at it this year.

I think other languages are beautiful, but I'm not good at learning them.

THANK YOU CHAAAAR. *uberglomp*
Quick note: I usually go by Doodleniks. It you see me somewhere else with that alias, feel free to drop me a line! ;)
Pair: Yo Face Here
My Links
Old 07-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Speed-X Offline

Send a message via AIM to Speed-X

Learning new languages is always so interesting to me; even just learning about learning other languages.

Anyhow, English is obviously my native language, but I'm also learning Deutsch (German).

Though of course, everyone in all of my classes are giant idiots when it comes to pronunciation...they don't even try. *facepalm* Stupid highschoolers.

And watch me own them even more next year with pronunciations since I totally went to Germany (and other countries, too) for like two weeks. xD;
You have no idea how much going to the source of the language you're learning--or one of the sources, I suppose--really helps. It just...it just does, really.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Elecii Offline

I obviously know English (well, it's pretty obvious, and I'm from England so...), and I'm learning German currently in school. I learnt French for 4 years, but when I went to my new school I was put into a German class. I don't remember anything in French, though. I've had a few Spanish lessons, and learnt Japanese for a few months.

I really want to learn Japanese, and Korean. I also want to start learning French again, and learn Spanish.

I guess going to a language school helps, considering we have to learn 2 different languages.

I'm learning Spanish next year, actually.

i can't love you more than this
Old 07-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Skylands Offline

Tomo espańol por 3 anos en escuela (I took Spanish for 3 years in school). I also know the glaringly obvious English.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebop View Post
I'll be honest, learning different languages is very hard for me. I'm not entirely positive why. Maybe I just don't have the patience, maybe I don't have the memory, or maybe I'm just plain dumb.

Anyway, I know english (more or less). I plan on learning Latin. I tried last year but it didn't really work so I'm going to have another go at it this year.

I think other languages are beautiful, but I'm not good at learning them.
Sie konnen nicht deutsch sprechen. Das nervt! Es ist eine so schone sprache! Not really though. German is actually a very harsh and aggravating language xD All the throat sounds make it sound like Arabic xD

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 07-14-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:29 AM
Shucklulz Offline

I speak English fluently and know some basic Spanish. I'm going to try to learn French and Italian eventually as well.