Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Other Chat

Other Chat For non-Pokemon discussion on everything else. For casual talk only, any more serious topics such as current events, should be in the Discussion. You can talk about anything else that is not covered in the other "Other Boards" that are above.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Sixto Offline
Sofa King Cool

Send a message via AIM to Sixto Send a message via MSN to Sixto
Default Re: Internet Grammar

Wow, lotta posts. :p

Yeah, Internet grammar is important. A lot of people talk like straight up retards, especially when I had a Facebook. TallkInq LiEc ThIs iiS NaWT kewL! It irks me. In text I can tolerate it, but even then I don't shorten words.

Basically, it's hard to take you seriously if you post like a dumbass. One word I am guilty of misspelling on purpose is 'Thanx.' :p
Old 04-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

I use proper grammar even when I am f'ing around.

i sck @ itrnt tkin cuz im no noob... so g hm n sck on tat xD
Old 04-04-2011, 07:08 PM
IceKyurem Offline

i fink typin liek dis is nt kewl. it maks u luk liek a n00b.

I only type like the above when:
I'm doing it to prove a point (like: not typin owt ur damn wrds liek dis is not kewl)
I've been dared to.
I'm in a chat room (but I usally type properly in chatrooms)
I want to annoy people
It's a common abrieviation (like LOL for Laugh Out Loud, EQ for Earthquake, GTG for Got To Go, etc.)
Done @ 369

Am I the only person on PE2K who likes Inazuma Eleven?
Old 04-05-2011, 03:05 AM
garjmp Offline
Banned
Master Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitania View Post
There's no need to be pedantic on the internet.
what this guy said.

Get off your high horse, ppl.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:18 AM
Speed-X Offline

Send a message via AIM to Speed-X

Quote:
However, I'm all for abbreviations and whatnot on the cell phone texting, since it saves time and it costs cheaper in certain cases if the message has less characters.
I actually never knew that even mattered, to be honest.

I don't care if you don't use correct capitalization and such, just as long as your speech makes sense; including punctuation. I'm not a grammar nazi, but how SOME PEOPLE ON FACEBOOK WILL TALK...Oh my god, someone please kill me.

Constant chatspeak is a huge pet peeve of mine, mostly on the internet; not texting (Don't really text that much anyways). I feel as the mentioned is the case, then it's like I'm the only intelligent person in the conversation...with, seeing how a lot of high school teens are on free-for-all chat pages like Facebook, then yeah--not trying to sound egoistical, but yeah, that IS usually the case. They're s**t-stupid.

I honestly love using it to mock people or to tell a joke, or to make things more humorous...just not in serious conversation.

Though if English really isn't your native language and you bluntly suck at it, I really don't mind...just as long as you tried! Granted it may take a while to decipher your post depending on translation-crisis level, but it's okay. Just if you're an American teen who obviously has taken great English classes, you need to get your damned act together.

Common acronyms don't count in my book...granted I really like to spice things up myself (such as using "lulz" or "OLOLOL" or "lolz"), but that's honestly just me preferring to do things a little differently than some people do...or it could all just be from habit. Perhaps a bit of both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Emolga
I honestly don't know when, how, and why typing and writing phrases out on the Internet with poor grammar and horrible spelling even got started. Speed is usually a lame argument for it, you can easily type fully clear and coherent sentences with just a fractional amount of additional effort, and it makes so much difference. To me, whenever someone types with horrible spelling and grammar, they're immediately looked down upon, never taken seriously, and most of the time, no one even bothers listening to them either.
OMG THIS^

Quote:
I fear it's getting to the point where you might even find text talk and internet lingo used to fill out resumes and job applications. What's scarier is if someone actually hired a person who filled out their job application like that.
...I would go jump off a cliff. O ^ O

Quote:
Yeah, Internet grammar is important. A lot of people talk like straight up retards, especially when I had a Facebook. TallkInq LiEc ThIs iiS NaWT kewL! It irks me. In text I can tolerate it, but even then I don't shorten words.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts, too!

Quote:
Quote:
There's no need to be pedantic on the internet.
what this guy said.

Get off your high horse, ppl.
True, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to discuss it without people acting like Nazis, a lot like this. *points at above quote(s).

Honestly, this is a mere discussion so don't assume that we lose sleep over this type of thing.

I know this thread is just a little old, but I like where this discussion is going...I think. I also just felt the need to contribute my thoughts...hmm. I would imagine that reason #2 would be the most likely answer.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:53 AM
Silvalfo Offline

u no i liek gramar but sumtims it doesnt let u sai liek u want on teh webz
Old 05-21-2011, 12:30 PM
iLoveMrBieber Offline
New Trainer

Send a message via AIM to iLoveMrBieber Send a message via MSN to iLoveMrBieber

I usually use improper grammar on Facebook, Twitter and sometimes on other forums; but only because I'm lazy. xP

I don't really care if anyone uses improper grammar unless it's a serious discussion or a roleplay.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Akuaburedo Offline
New Trainer

i dun c wats rong wit tpng lyk dis. u gys are sily.

No but really. I think it's about context. You don't have to write in freaking Shakespearean prose, but it'd be nice if you used a comma or a period here or there.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:27 PM
SLC Offline

Send a message via AIM to SLC

If you use grammer incorrectly, you're an imbecile.

AIM: Politoed Prince

Old 05-22-2011, 03:02 PM
Disco Offline

English isn't my first language, so the reason why I (mostly) try and keep up proper speech, even online, is to not forget it. Just like I speak Portuguese exclusively at home, so I won't forget it.

But I'm not a robot, so I mess up a lot. So long as it's not a serious discussion, for me, I don't mind. But I do try my best to at least sound like I've held a proper pencil and took a proper grammar class. x3
Old 05-22-2011, 03:06 PM
3m0d0ll Offline

Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
English isn't my first language, so the reason why I (mostly) try and keep up proper speech, even online, is to not forget it. Just like I speak Portuguese exclusively at home, so I won't forget it.

But I'm not a robot, so I mess up a lot. So long as it's not a serious discussion, for me, I don't mind. But I do try my best to at least sound like I've held a proper pencil and took a proper grammar class. x3
This is why Disco is the sexiest thing this forum has to offer <3

/otherthanasb.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Disco Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3m0d0ll View Post
This is why Disco is the sexiest thing this forum has to offer <3

/otherthanasb.
Oh u. I'd be the sexiest thing if you guys had ASB contests. Then I'd join. <3

(Perfect example to why I don't always use correct grammar, so not entirely off-topic. I apologize?)
Old 05-22-2011, 03:16 PM
3m0d0ll Offline

Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
Oh u. I'd be the sexiest thing if you guys had ASB contests. Then I'd join. <3

(Perfect example to why I don't always use correct grammar, so not entirely off-topic. I apologize?)
omg liek contetz r cumin ot in juun er somer ish so ya u sud join so u cn prepar bbyluv c:
Old 05-22-2011, 11:56 PM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

Well I use btw, lol, tbh, thanx, lolwut, and some others and I really don't care if anyone else hates it. :P

Idk(oh and that one too!), I just find it sort of snobbish when people complain about grammar and it feels like that you think your better than everyone else. Not that I think anyone that posted in this thread is like that. *cough*neo emolga*cough* :)

I do think when someone tlks liek ths, it's just annoying.

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 05-24-2011, 06:16 AM
kiddoman Offline
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to kiddoman

I often consider this grammar seriously! I would like to say it is important to do so! Cause it can make you form a good habit of language using!
No good to long-term way!