Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Anime-Style Battling League » ASB: Headquarters

ASB: Headquarters The Headquarters of the ASB League. The place where all of the registrations and documentations of monetary gain, Pokemon, etc. occur. The place where all new hopefuls begin their ASB journey.

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 02:31 AM
paperfairy Offline

Send a message via AIM to paperfairy Send a message via Skype™ to paperfairy
Default Re: Referee Problems

Actually, 3m0 and I have discussed that idea in the past. How would we want to go about executing this though?

Will always find their kind.
ASBL | twins with Jenn <3
Old 04-10-2011, 04:03 AM
MoonKit Offline

Send a message via MSN to MoonKit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post

The math and calculating takes pretty much no time at all, I don't thinks that's the main issue.

The problem I run into is having to type up the whole post. This takes the majority of the time it does to ref.

Here is a couple suggestions I would make:
1. Aside from reffing, you could make a different person called a writer. The refs could pm the calculation and they could write up the actions and pm them to the ref so he/she could post.

EDIT: I liked this idea after some thought, so I wanted to expand on it. I came up with two different ways of doing this. First the buddy system. The calculator takes a test towards calculating, and a writer writes a post from random calculations as their test.
Once you have passed your test you will move on to another thread. In this thread you will post your activity level and possibly time zone. Then you can find a writer/calculator who seems to be as active as you. This becomes your "buddy". The calculator will send the writer the calculations from the battle. The writer will then send the calculator the written post. Then the calculator/writer posts both the calculations and writing in the ref post. The buddy that did not post can have some written credit in the post.

The other method is just a writer thread. The calculator posts their calculations into the writers thread. A writer will claim the calculations. Once they claimed it they must write the post out for it and send it to the calculator. The calculator then can post it, giving the writer credit in his post.

2. You could allow the refs to not have to add writing to their post until we get enough refs to deal with all the battles.

That's really all I have.
Love the first idea, Dino. This looks like a job Neo would be good for.

Really, the math was the one that confused me, but to me, writing would take 10 simple minutes. I have about half a day at least. The writing doesnt bug me, I just dont wanna do all the math. Im in friggin fifth grade. I would be a reff if some of the work was made a pinch simpler.

Last edited by MoonKit; 04-10-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:51 AM
Iridium Offline

Send a message via AIM to Iridium Send a message via MSN to Iridium

The main reason some people shy away from reffing is the the writing bit. I don't think I would mind doing the math, but yeah, the writing sure takes a lot of effort, atleast for me.

<3
Old 04-10-2011, 05:23 PM
3m0d0ll Offline

Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll

Personally, I can type up a decent round in about 30 minutes to an hour, tops. But when it comes to determining damage and energy usage... My brain just kinda poops out on me. Dino, as Paperfairy said, we have discussed this a bit, but the main issue is how we would distribute payment... Would the writing portion pay more than the calculations? How would we make sure that whoever posted the round gave proper credit? Would the writer have to be an official Ref or could they be anybody?

Those are just a few bugs I noticed off the top of my head, and, again, it is a good idea that we've talked about some behind the scenes, we just need to work out all the kinks before we 'publish' - for lack of a better term - it to prevent issues in the future.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Dino Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Dino

All good points.

@Aeon
I don't think letting people choose to do some on their own would not be that big of a problem. They would just go ahead and post. If you didn't want to do any with a partner you would just continue on as normal.

@3m0
Would the writing portion pay more than the calculations?
This... I don't know. I would say $3 Writing and $2 Calculations.

How would we make sure that whoever posted the round gave proper credit?
The same way you make anyone give credit. This is a matter of courtesy. If a uncredited person also didn't receive their pay, I suppose it could be worked out.

Would the writer have to be an official Ref or could they be anybody?
As I said before. You could make a writer test. This test, if they pass, would make them a writer. But in order to calculate or operate on their own, they have to pass a ref test.

So... those are my thoughts. Just kinda thinking aloud though.

lv.100@1618
Links

Old 04-10-2011, 09:27 PM
3m0d0ll Offline

Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post

How would we make sure that whoever posted the round gave proper credit?
The same way you make anyone give credit. This is a matter of courtesy. If a uncredited person also didn't receive their pay, I suppose it could be worked out.
No, what I mean is... Idk how to describe it. Let's say Justin did the calculations and Aeon wrote and posted the round, not saying that Justin contributed. When Monday morn rolls around and I distribute pay, I'd give Aeon full credit. There would also be no proof that Justin did anything whatsoever. Then we have the totals to work out and if htis could be done in a closed battle, etc.

Again, I'm not against the idea, I'm just trying to work out all the kinks (which is why Justin and I are perfect for each other: He comes up with the ideas and bounces them off meh :P ♥).
Old 04-10-2011, 09:38 PM
paperfairy Offline

Send a message via AIM to paperfairy Send a message via Skype™ to paperfairy

Proposal:

Make a thread in the Battle Board where one can just post the calculations for a round. Example:

Quote:
Khajmer vs Paperfairy
Deoxys used Slap [-4 HP Dialga/-18 NRG Deoxys]
Dialga was fully paralyzed [-20 NRG Dialga]
Then, a writer is free to post in the battle thread itself with the full round, using the calculations. When everybody is paid, we can pay individuals that did calculations, and then pay refs based on whether or not they did the calculations.

Will always find their kind.
ASBL | twins with Jenn <3
Closed Thread