Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Groups/Clubs

Groups/Clubs Start a Pokemon or non-Pokemon related Group/Club for your favorite topic. Whether it's a group/club for one of the good guys like Ash, Misty, or Brock, to the villains like Team Rocket, Team Magma, and Team Aqua. Your group can be whatever you want.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: [WAR X] Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charizard Michelle View Post
Looks good based on what I read. I kind of stopped halfway though the stuff about judges. I can't think of anything else but looks good.

EDIT: Hmm....Just came up with an idea for a section. Trivia. Not sure how it would work but old memories of the old Run Around came to mind just now.
Trivia actually was a section in the past, but I don't remember exactly what caused it to be canceled. I guess it could be worked in one of two ways. Either the Judge goes posts question by question, or could present a batch of questions for the week, and whoever gets the right answers first gets 3 points while the person in second gets 2. If its by question by question, the person who gets the most right in the weekly tally gets 3 while 2nd place gets 2. The only thing with that is if they're going by question by question, the Judge would have to be quite active (as in come on multiple times a day) in order to run it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCalamity View Post
Anything even somewhat relating to Run Arounds are good in my books.

EDIT: No online simulator type thing? With the new POL, more people would be interested than previous years; we;ve had it in the past.
I'm not sure if people are still using Shoddy Battle, POL, or something else, I honestly haven't been too up to date with that whole scene. From what I saw, POL was still in a beginning stage, so it might be better if it just appears as an event this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Looks good to me. I don't know anything about POL, so I can't anything about that. I know WAR: Music was a huge flop last year though.
Yeah, my guess is we don't have too many people here that make songs using FruityLoops or something like that. I may take that off the list unless there are enough skilled people that tell me they want to see it as an event.

Quote:
Honestly, I think last year was an utter disaster, what with one of the winners (out of the whole 3 participants) having used Youtube comments as evidence twice and claiming to be a rocket scientist that was an expert on the Soviet space program. And I would really prefer that not a lot of points go into that section in case something like that happens again.
I'm going to keep it at 4 points, and we'll see how that goes. I'm kind of hoping whoever judges it goes for broader and more clearly known topics that more people know about and can talk about.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:26 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Trivia actually was a section in the past, but I don't remember exactly what caused it to be canceled. I guess it could be worked in one of two ways. Either the Judge goes posts question by question, or could present a batch of questions for the week, and whoever gets the right answers first gets 3 points while the person in second gets 2. If its by question by question, the person who gets the most right in the weekly tally gets 3 while 2nd place gets 2. The only thing with that is if they're going by question by question, the Judge would have to be quite active (as in come on multiple times a day) in order to run it that way.
I can't see how Trivia can work properly considering everyone here has internet access and presumably knowledge of Google.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 04-14-2011, 12:31 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
I can't see how Trivia can work properly considering everyone here has internet access and presumably knowledge of Google.
That's another good point. With Google and various other resources, its more like a scavenger hunt than trivia.

I guess with that in mind, it's probably better to leave it off.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:44 AM
Raven X Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Raven X

This War seem great and by how it is looking I will be in three events, RP, Debate (I'm planning on becoming a judge), and URPG. Question? Why don't we have a section for ASB battles?
Old 04-14-2011, 01:06 AM
Shen Offline
Paladin of Dragons

Send a message via AIM to Shen Send a message via MSN to Shen Send a message via Yahoo to Shen Send a message via Skype™ to Shen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven X View Post
Question? Why don't we have a section for ASB battles?
That may be a little difficult to incorporate into WAR since it is a relatively new section as far as I remember. Plus, battles can take a long time to finish, if the reffing and such isn't consistent. Besides, it seems a lot like what may be involved in the ASB could be considered somewhat like RPing anyway, right?
Old 04-14-2011, 03:05 AM
k_pop Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
That's another good point. With Google and various other resources, its more like a scavenger hunt than trivia.

I guess with that in mind, it's probably better to leave it off.
A scavenger hunt is always fun though. The problem I see would be people complaining about slow net or something ridiculous. ^^'
Old 04-14-2011, 03:34 AM
Dr Scott Offline
Vanilla Bear

Send a message via AIM to Dr Scott Send a message via MSN to Dr Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Scott Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Scott

Scavenger hunts would be "who is on when it is posted up?"

"God, my brilliance is now somewhat of a burden. Get back to me."
Old 04-14-2011, 05:24 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Scott View Post
Scavenger hunts would be "who is on when it is posted up?"
Yeah, I know that's what usually happens with PSG. We'll leave Trivia out then, I don't want to base any of the sections so much on luck factor.

Also, as far as Judges for events go, either I or another WAR Leader will be that Judge, or I can have a potential Judge create an event, and if I think their plans are well thought out and they have a good idea in mind, I'll let them go for it.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:25 AM
Charizard Michelle Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charizard Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCalamity View Post
Anything even somewhat relating to Run Arounds are good in my books.

EDIT: No online simulator type thing? With the new POL, more people would be interested than previous years; we;ve had it in the past.
Oh dear...you are so making me want to push this Trivia thing even more and make it run like a Run Around. haha I would so like to make people do random things. haha
Quote:
Yeah the fact that Google would just be their best friend for Trivia and 'Who is on when it is posted' for Scavenger Hunt. What if it was a team effort? A person could post up questions, riddles and request for a day. The team has to have a representative or somebody to post up and whoever gets the most correct get a *insert word that isn't point* and the team with the most *Insert word that isn't point* gets two points. Second place team will get one point. If there is a tie then it would be based on who replied back the fastest.

Another idea could be is just run it similar to the run arounds from the Parody WARS except make it more question based.

I need to find a new girl-on-girl animation.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:15 AM
-Pichu Boy- Offline

Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-

Quote:
Looks good to me. I don't know anything about POL, so I can't anything about that. I know WAR: Music was a huge flop last year though.

Honestly, I think last year was an utter disaster, what with one of the winners (out of the whole 3 participants) having used Youtube comments as evidence twice and claiming to be a rocket scientist that was an expert on the Soviet space program. And I would really prefer that not a lot of points go into that section in case something like that happens again.
If I'd have read just the bolded bit, I'd have thought you were talking about Parody WAR. o.o

The rules were quite tl;dr for me, but if everyone else says they look good, they probably look good. I get out of school on June 27th, so I suppose that still gives me a good 4 weeks to get stuff going. And, June 19th - June 27th, I've got some exams, but most of them are over, so I could probably scrape something up in that week.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pichu Boy- View Post
If I'd have read just the bolded bit, I'd have thought you were talking about Parody WAR. o.o

The rules were quite tl;dr for me, but if everyone else says they look good, they probably look good. I get out of school on June 27th, so I suppose that still gives me a good 4 weeks to get stuff going. And, June 19th - June 27th, I've got some exams, but most of them are over, so I could probably scrape something up in that week.
Yeah. IIRC I didn't run the section like basically every other year of its existence. To be fair, only 3 people from teams actually debated. The guy who used the video won because of the fact that he was the only one who argued for that point.

Either way, it flopped pretty bad.

Oh btw, I remember the TCG section being a successful event. I had Fenix run it when she was around, so I'm not sure if we can do that again without much trouble.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charizard Michelle View Post
Yeah the fact that Google would just be their best friend for Trivia and 'Who is on when it is posted' for Scavenger Hunt. What if it was a team effort? A person could post up questions, riddles and request for a day. The team has to have a representative or somebody to post up and whoever gets the most correct get a *insert word that isn't point* and the team with the most *Insert word that isn't point* gets two points. Second place team will get one point. If there is a tie then it would be based on who replied back the fastest.

Another idea could be is just run it similar to the run arounds from the Parody WARS except make it more question based.
Eh, I don't know. To me, it seemed like run arounds worked great for the Parody WAR since the whole thing was meant to be casual and silly, but answering riddles and playing guessing games just doesn't really fit well with the rest of the scope when it comes to the standard WAR.

I agree with Lusankya and Shen, having Trivia would come down to who just happens to be on at the right time when questions are posted. But anyone who knows how to use Google (which is pretty much everyone) can get the answers, meaning it's less about skill, and more about who was there at the time. PSG is the same thing, 80% of what happens in that game is luck-based and just meant to be for fun and laughs really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pichu Boy- View Post

Yeah, I took another look at the rules and some areas, especially the part with the Judges, appear as a massive wall of text. I'll see if I can try to condense it a bit and make it easier on the eyes so it doesn't look so intimidating to read.

As for June 19th, since most people seem comfortable with that as a starting date, I think I'll make that official.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Yeah. IIRC I didn't run the section like basically every other year of its existence. To be fair, only 3 people from teams actually debated. The guy who used the video won because of the fact that he was the only one who argued for that point.

Oh btw, I remember the TCG section being a successful event. I had Fenix run it when she was around, so I'm not sure if we can do that again without much trouble.
I think the thing with Debate is a lot of people are outright intimidated by it. The whole Other Discussion board in general is honestly not the prettiest of places, say one wrong thing or use a source that may have a bit of obscurity or bias to it and people left and right call you "ignorant" and see a simple mistake as opportunity leverage to discredit all of your future standpoints based on incompetence for the rest of the week. What people need to remember is to question and challenge the information, but absolutely not attack the person themselves. If the person is not debating well, it will come out naturally, there's no need to lash out at them and make them feel like they're idiots and they're being stupid by even taking part in the first place. Why was there only three people debating last year? Probably because everyone else felt like they didn't want to have their intelligence insulted, and/or felt the topic was way too out of their league. Topics should really be something that most people know about and can feel easy putting their input on. If you start going deep into stuff like quantum physics or string theory, people are going to have no clue what's being talked about.

As for the TCG event, I don't remember seeing that. How exactly was that run last year?

Old 04-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Charizard Michelle Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charizard Michelle

Quote:
Eh, I don't know. To me, it seemed like run arounds worked great for the Parody WAR since the whole thing was meant to be casual and silly, but answering riddles and playing guessing games just doesn't really fit well with the rest of the scope when it comes to the standard WAR.

I agree with Lusankya and Shen, having Trivia would come down to who just happens to be on at the right time when questions are posted. But anyone who knows how to use Google (which is pretty much everyone) can get the answers, meaning it's less about skill, and more about who was there at the time. PSG is the same thing, 80% of what happens in that game is luck-based and just meant to be for fun and laughs really.

Yeah. I was thinking that too. Just trying to find a way to make it work.

I need to find a new girl-on-girl animation.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:14 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Okay, the rules thread is up, and I'm working on the Team Registration thread right now.

So with that said, feel free to start making teams, you don't need to wait on me to finish the registration thread. Shouldn't take me that long anyway.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:23 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post

Actually, both him and Khajmer were arguing for that point, and I was left to defend Capitalism by myself. I strongly suspect that rust, being as out of time as he was, didn't really read the debate at all and instead made the winner the one who had posted more. Which happened to be one of the most idiotic people I have ever seen on these boards, but was able to write large amounts of text.

Anyways, my opinion on why debate is so avoided is that, considering most of the forum's population are young Pokemon enthusiasts, we aren't exactly bursting at the seams with a powerful intellectual population. Most people on this forum have probably never been in a formal debate in their lives, and the younger members might not even know how to choose reputable sources (i.e. not Youtube comments) or understand why it's important to cite sources at all. As such, good debaters are few and far in between, and do tend to block out some of the less experience members in order to have a proper debate.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 04-15-2011 at 01:28 AM.