Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Groups/Clubs

Groups/Clubs Start a Pokemon or non-Pokemon related Group/Club for your favorite topic. Whether it's a group/club for one of the good guys like Ash, Misty, or Brock, to the villains like Team Rocket, Team Magma, and Team Aqua. Your group can be whatever you want.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:04 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: [WAR X] Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Actually, both him and Khajmer were arguing for that point, and I was left to defend Capitalism by myself. I strongly suspect that rust, being as out of time as he was, didn't really read the debate at all and instead made the winner the one who had posted more. Which happened to be one of the most idiotic people I have ever seen on these boards, but was able to write large amounts of text.

Anyways, my opinion on why debate is so avoided is that, considering most of the forum's population are young Pokemon enthusiasts, we aren't exactly bursting at the seams with a powerful intellectual population. Most people on this forum have probably never been in a formal debate in their lives, and the younger members might not even know how to choose reputable sources (i.e. not Youtube comments) or understand why it's important to cite sources at all. As such, good debaters are few and far in between, and do tend to block out some of the less experience members in order to have a proper debate.
Dude, I just got finished saying why it's not a good idea to attack people for debating. If you want to see some more activity there and get more competition going between members, you might want to stop with calling people idiots and quit feeling like the rest of the forum isn't smart enough to debate. We used to have reasonable debates in the past, and somewhere along the line and many vicious flamewars later, everyone abandoned it. I quit going there myself when I saw how much that section brought out all of the nastiness in people I never knew they had, and how people lost all traces of respect for one another. This year, let's try to be a little nicer about it, so people don't feel like they're going to get attacked and be exiled if they're not a total Einstein on the subject.

I agree that using YouTube comments as a reference for an argument isn't a good choice (videos uploaded on YouTube is different though, I've had some of my MBA college professors use videos on that). Again, if you're unhappy with the way a section was judged, PM the judge and state your case. Raising hell about it doesn't help...

Old 04-15-2011, 02:11 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
Dude, I just got finished saying why it's not a good idea to attack people for debating. If you want to see some more activity there and get more competition going between members, you might want to stop with calling people idiots and quit feeling like the rest of the forum isn't smart enough to debate. We used to have reasonable debates in the past, and somewhere along the line and many vicious flamewars later, everyone abandoned it. I quit going there myself when I saw how much that section brought out all of the nastiness in people I never knew they had, and how people lost all traces of respect for one another. This year, let's try to be a little nicer about it, so people don't feel like they're going to get attacked and be exiled if they're not a total Einstein on the subject.

I agree that using YouTube comments as a reference for an argument isn't a good choice (videos uploaded on YouTube is different though, I've had some of my MBA college professors use videos on that). Again, if you're unhappy with the way a section was judged, PM the judge and state your case. Raising hell about it doesn't help...
Eh, sorry, I tend to get worked up over that :/

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 04-15-2011, 02:33 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:

I do recall that being the reason why you've left the section altogether. I've always had an anti-ad-hominem ruling in all debates that I run (resulting in a DQ). I doubt, however, that this can do much even under that circumstance.

I think that it is an issue of the population being quite young and they dont' generally venture into Other Discussions anyway. I do believe that it's hard to stay impartial in debates, especially under the circumstances of topics that they hold more dearly. That's usually why I tend to stay out of politics and religion if I am selecting a topic. Sometimes I do get a bit short on time and end up picking that kind of a topic though, but that just means it's harder to judge due to some of the clauses.

Lusankya, I must state that it's a bad habit to have. I was like that when I was younger though. Some of the topics I've had in the past with members like Crimson Spider and Dakota weren't the prettiest. However, it is a learned process to be impartial, but one that ultimately makes you a better debater and provides you with better analysis from seeing both sides of a coin.

The TCG section hasn't been around since I believe 2009. I was going to run it last year, but ended up not having enough time to do it. The idea is for the judge to make a theme for players to make a card from, and that judge comes up with a bunch of criteria to judge it from. I gave Fenix the format to which she judged from, but she ended up making her own little format that is somewhat derived from mine. And it worked out great.

The section was an incredible success. Check the turn out. It's awesome for the 2 weeks that it ran (it was an event that spanned a total of 2 weeks).

Here's some thread for this:
Week 1 Entries
Week 1 results
Week 2 Entries
Week 2 results

The key to this section is finding someone as competent as Fenix though. She's freaking amazing at understanding balance (something I'm not good at because I don't play pokemon intrinsically) and has a good grasp of the language used in the pokemon TCG. The rest of the stuff is subjective, but having those two goes a long way.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

I'm wondering, who here is planning on making a team (or is in the process of it already) and who just intends on joining one instead?

Old 04-16-2011, 04:05 PM
NES2 Offline

I'm going to make a team, but it's not going to be Cataclysm all over again. Instead, we are going to be the Conquistadors, with the theme of Medieval/Renaissance Spain and exploration.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

I might give it a shot, haven't decided yet.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Old 04-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Raven X Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Raven X

I plan on joining a team. I am not ready to own a team yet because I will have to ask people to make a banner.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:26 PM
SLC Offline

Send a message via AIM to SLC

Finding it suprising that me, Jesse and Kers are the only ones who have made a team yet; hopefully we'll get some members ;o

AIM: Politoed Prince

Old 04-17-2011, 04:06 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Yeah, well, it's a bit early.

Art Gallery
Old 04-17-2011, 04:18 AM
Simmi Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to Simmi Send a message via MSN to Simmi

Quote:
I'm wondering, who here is planning on making a team (or is in the process of it already) and who just intends on joining one instead?
I would create a team, but I stink at coming up with witty and amusing story's, stuff that allures people to my team. So with that in mind I am gonna join a team, but I have problems with picking between stuff, in real life as well, I freeze up when asked if I want salt and pepper on my subway, choice anxiety (Is that a word)...

So I have decided that I am gonna join the team that you join..
Old 04-17-2011, 10:01 AM
-Pichu Boy- Offline

Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-

I would make a team, but I have no-one to make one with. I remember one time I did make one (and that was the best WAR for me, imo :3 Although, it was parody), but the person I made it with has left.

*shameless plug* HEY, ANYONE WANNA MAKE A TEAM WITH ME? That is all.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:17 AM
SLC Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pichu Boy- View Post
I would make a team, but I have no-one to make one with. I remember one time I did make one (and that was the best WAR for me, imo :3 Although, it was parody), but the person I made it with has left.

*shameless plug* HEY, ANYONE WANNA MAKE A TEAM WITH ME? That is all.
Me and Adam were going to make a team that year then you stole him from me :'(

I would make a team with you but I already have :O

Old 04-17-2011, 10:39 AM
-Pichu Boy- Offline

Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCalamity View Post
Me and Adam were going to make a team that year then you stole him from me :'(

I would make a team with you but I already have :O
:o Ooops...

Well, I stole Adam, so I can steal you, right? RIGHT?! D:
Old 04-17-2011, 02:31 PM
SLC Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pichu Boy- View Post
:o Ooops...

Well, I stole Adam, so I can steal you, right? RIGHT?! D:
Bit too late there ;D

EDIT: I don't know if this is too late but I still REALLY think that there should be a Pokémon Online section for competetive battling. Gun has hosted it in the past and it was quite popular, and it allows more people to get involved - I know a few people who don't want to participate because they believe they won't get any points, but feel much more confidant battling online.

Last edited by SLC; 04-17-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Charizard Michelle Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charizard Michelle

Quote:
I want to make a team. Just thinking about it.

I need to find a new girl-on-girl animation.