Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:19 AM
Jaylea Offline

Send a message via MSN to Jaylea
Post Jaylea's Corner

Hello and welcome to my Corner! You can call me Lea if you so wish, I normally go by that anyway. So this thread will serve its purpose as my updates and such. If you look below in the spoiler box you'll find some things that I need help with or am taking suggestions for, I consider all replies to this so don't worry just speak up! If and when I update this post I will leave a reply stating so that you can check it out.

I am very open to suggestions as to how I can improve my writing, feel free to nit-pick as much as you like. However I do take offense to people who only suggest I write longer chapters. I as a writer only post about 2-3k words per chapter and you as the reader have to deal with it. But really, I respect your writing habits and I expect you to respect me, thanks!

Other Sites:

Stories
Character Files
How you can help!

Spoiler:
Because I'm not up-to-date on the recent games I need a bit of help. I've only played the Yellow, Red, Blue, Gold, and Silver games. As such these new concepts of Ribbon Contests and other things are practicly lost on me. If someone could be so kind as to explain the things that I post below I think I could give you a hug! Please if you take the time to reply to these questions be very descriptive.

Pokemon Contests- Has been explained but if you care to add on to what Giratina said please feel free!
Names- Ok so if you've read chapter two you will see that Manaki and Edena (Team Rocket) were never described with a last name. So if you have any suggestions feel free to post them in your reply!
Pokemon- Like a certain Pokemon and would like to see it in the story? Post it and a link to were I can see its attack and evolutions! You'll be surprised where I'll introduce it!!

Updates!

Sadly I won't be writing any this weekend, I have a full weekend of baby-sitting and I can't wait! But I will try to get on long enough to jot down some plot ideas and possible new characters, I have to fill out my current characters mostly Raiken and my Rockets. Manaki I'm going to have a blast with. If anyone has any suggestions how to better then I'll gladly take them, names as well. Both Manaki and Edena only have first names as I'm horrid with that process of character building.

Last edited by Jaylea; 04-09-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Giratina Offline

Default Re: Jaylea's Corner

Pokémon Contests have different deets depending on the generation you're talking about. I really only know anything about Generation III (Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald), since I hardly bothered with Contests in Gen IV.

In Generation III, Pokémon Contests are judged in five divisions (Beauty, Cute, Smart, Tough, or Cool) by two categories. The categories are judged separately, then the totals are added together for the total score.

The first category is called the preliminary round and depends on the Pokémon in question's 'appeal stats', which can be raised by feeding the Pokémon PokéBlocks. PokéBlocks are candies made by the Trainer out of Berries, and you can find a Pokéblock Machine in most any Contest Hall in Hoenn (the region where GenIII takes place). By feeding them certain Pokéblocks, you can increase one or more of your Pokémon's appeal stats, which thereby gives them a higher score during the first category of judging. (The Pokéblock flavors are not called Beauty, Tough, Cute etc.; instead, they are Spicy, Dry, Sweet, Bitter, and Sour, which are connected to Cool, Beauty, Cute, Smart, Tough. In the game itself, they are color-coded for our convenience.)

The second category is the Appeal round. In this category the Pokémon take turns performing moves in front of a judge; in Gen III, each move has not only a Type but an appeal category as well (so Tackle could be a Tough move, or Sing a Cute move, or so on). This usually lasts for five turns. Each Pokémon is given an order to act in each turn (1-4), and this changes randomly each turn, so no Pokémon always has the first spot... hopefully. The goal is to impress both the Judge and the crowd -- the Judge is impressed when a Pokémon takes up two of its turns using moves that fit well together, but the crowd is an easier nut to crack. Whoever uses a move that fits the division goal (Beauty, Tough, Cute, etc.) will make the 'crowd meter' go up one. Whoever uses a move that isn't of the division goal makes the crowd meter go down one. When the crowd meter fills up to 5, the Pokémon who gave the last nudge to the meter gets a big bonus to their score that turn. Scores in each turn are judged by hearts, which are then converted into points using some formula I don't know. Some Pokémon attacks, it should be noted, have extra effects in the Contest ring; for example, one attack could guarantee the Pokémon the first slot next round, another could add X number of hearts to the score that turn, another could scare the opponents so they can't perform, etc.

At the end, the total points from each turn of the appeal round and the total points of the preliminaries are added up. The Pokémon with the most points wins.

If you're still lost, check out the Bulbapedia article on the subject.

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)

Last edited by Giratina; 04-07-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Jaylea Offline

Thanks for the tips! When I get to a contest point in the plot I'll make sure to use this information for sure!
Old 04-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Randor Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to Randor Send a message via Yahoo to Randor Send a message via Skype™ to Randor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylea
seeing how pe2k doesn't have a spoiler/hide feature I can't do that.
Actually, PE2K does support spoiler BBCode, you just use brackets and on the ending bracket you add a slash. Example
Spoiler:
see :)

To view the BBCode list at Pokemon Elite 2000, you can visit here. http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru....php?do=bbcode

Last edited by Randor; 04-07-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Jaylea Offline

Does it really? Thanks so much!!

Edit: Then I must be doing something wrong... It works when I don't add a title like I'll do:

[spoiler=Chapter One] TEXT[/spoiler] and it won't work. Then I'll do:
Spoiler:
TEXT

So I'm guessing I can't do a spoiler with a title?

Last edited by Jaylea; 04-07-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Randor Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to Randor Send a message via Yahoo to Randor Send a message via Skype™ to Randor

No problem Jaylea, I also like your Fan-Fiction writing and I'm looking forward to see more!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Jaylea Offline

Thanks,

I do have a question about the spoiler though. It works when I don't add a title like I'll do:

[spoiler=Chapter One] TEXT[/spoiler] and it won't work. Then I'll do:
Spoiler:
TEXT

So I'm guessing I can't do a spoiler with a title?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Randor Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Hmm? According the the BBCode usage it should be working, I will look more into the spoiler name functions. Since that seems like it's not supported you can add a bold title right above it

Title
Spoiler:
Spoilers Goes Here

I will PM the administrators with a html replacement code so you can add titles, I'm sure they wouldn't mind the idea.

Last edited by Randor; 04-07-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Jaylea Offline

Ok thank you. It seems that I can only have so many words on each post so the spoiler feature won't work, I have to many characters in each of my chapters. But thanks so much for the help, I'll be sure to use it in later posts.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy writing here as much as I do! I see that your writing style is more descriptive, mine focuses more on thought process and emotions. If you are focusing on description, as it is evident in your current chapters, I would recommend to make your additions longer. Make sure that they are long enough to actually be considered chapters. I understand, if you use Office Word 7 it might take up 25 pages, but only a few paragraphs may appear (some of us have different fonts and such), but I think you would do well to actually lengthen them a tad.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 04-07-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Jaylea Offline

Thank you for the welcome and the advice but I prefer to keep my chapters shorter as my wrists won't start to hurt if I do. Not only that but its simply my style to keep it within 2-3k works 3 being the most.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:43 AM
Giratina Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylea View Post
Ok thank you. It seems that I can only have so many words on each post so the spoiler feature won't work, I have to many characters in each of my chapters. But thanks so much for the help, I'll be sure to use it in later posts.
Goodness gracious, I hear ya. I swear, this was my first forum, and the 20000 character limit probably stunted my writing for years to come. >> Anyway, yes, multiple posts are generally what most longer chapters resort to. (I don't believe I've ever gone over two, but then again, I am apparently writing retarded. XD)

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 04-08-2011, 12:48 AM
Jaylea Offline

I personally don't like writing hugely long chapters nor do I like to read them. Short, sweet and to the point is my kind of chapter. While I do like a long chapter if it takes me forever to read it then I tend to loose interest. The way I think of it is if you take so long to write ONE chapter why not break it up so it can make more?
Old 04-08-2011, 01:26 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Well, one does not have to post a chapter every day or week. I post regularly in mine, but I do not rush myself to post one, or post just a few paragraphs. One should make sure it is long enough to be interesting. I always get to the end of the character limit, and they are actually still quite short.

I use music, a soundtrack, for the fan fictions that I write, which sets the mood and is more interesting. You should implement one too!
Old 04-08-2011, 01:33 AM
Jaylea Offline

That is true but every writer has his or her way of doing things and mine is to write when I feel like it and if thats posting ever day or just once a week thats all I do. I write as a hobby and I do it to entertain myself. While I do listen to music while I type I don't find it that much of an inspiration bur rather art is. I as a writer will never write more then 3k a chapter and I'm happy with it; yes I can understand that readers may or may not want a longer chapter but I put what I like first.