Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » Fourth Generation

Fourth Generation Discuss the fourth generation Pokemon games: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 03:15 AM
Squigglyo Offline
New Trainer

Default What makes a good team

Ok, i need some help. i like to think i know enough about the game to beat it, but i do not know anything realy about competive battling against other people.

I need to know what the basics are for making a great team. As is, ive gotten thru the entire game and never used a stat changing move, protection move or status move. Everything i do is just attack, and as such all i have are pokemon that are just tanks.

Also, ive never looked at pokemon natures, Evs or anything like that. Basicaly, im still playing the game like its the old GBC game.

I need 3 different teams of pokemon.

1. Battle Tower Team - 3 pokemon
2. 3 Pokemon Team for the Wii game/other people
3. 6 Pokemon Team for the Wii game/other people.

I understand how EVs work now, and natures are begining to make sense, but, i dont know much about exactly which pokemon is built to do which job, so if some people could list some pokemon and moves for them, justifying why they should be used, for what, and for what team, that would be great.

*Or, if there is actuay a similair thread i missed, or a place i can actualy look myself, please point me there*
Old 08-08-2007, 03:33 AM
Ulazlo Offline
Elite Trainer

Default Re: What makes a good team

check in the guides section they have a competitve battling guide there
Old 08-08-2007, 02:40 PM
c_t_f Offline

first off, you need pokemon that can learn all the Important HM's. [for example: you can ditch flash and defog and just keep cut, strength, rock smash, ect.]

second off, you need a team with multiple types. like omastar or kabutops, they have two types: water and rock. plus, garydos is water and flying, magneton is steel and electic, ect.

third off, start training! Get your pokemon as close to level 70 as possible [ps- that's the hardest and most boring part] so you can at least STAND A CHANCE against battle tower, or against stronger people. [pps- WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T HAVE A 'STRONGEST' POKEMON!!! because if that pokemon faints, you're DEAD MEAT.]
Old 08-08-2007, 06:06 PM
c-wooper Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via ICQ to c-wooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by porygon_rox View Post
first off, you need pokemon that can learn all the Important HM's. [for example: you can ditch flash and defog and just keep cut, strength, rock smash, ect.]

second off, you need a team with multiple types. like omastar or kabutops, they have two types: water and rock. plus, garydos is water and flying, magneton is steel and electic, ect.

third off, start training! Get your pokemon as close to level 70 as possible [ps- that's the hardest and most boring part] so you can at least STAND A CHANCE against battle tower, or against stronger people. [pps- WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T HAVE A 'STRONGEST' POKEMON!!! because if that pokemon faints, you're DEAD MEAT.]
That's wrong. Why would anyone want to use cut and rock smash? The only good TM is Surf.

You guys should look in the battleing stragies forum.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:15 PM
evil raquaza Offline
Master Trainer

3 for battle tower: charizard,venusaur and blastoise/any other set of full evoliton starters.
3 for WI-FI battles: same as above.
6 for WI-FI battles:porygon-z,rhypeior,charizard,venusaur,blastoise,mewtwo.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:45 PM
Ulazlo Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil raquaza View Post
3 for battle tower: charizard,venusaur and blastoise/any other set of full evoliton starters.
3 for WI-FI battles: same as above.
6 for WI-FI battles:porygon-z,rhypeior,charizard,venusaur,blastoise,mewtwo.
the starters are o.k. but you could find way better choices for that kind of stuff.

and most people won't let you use mewtwo on a wi-fi battle

like c-wooper said try checking the strategies forum, they will give you everything you need
Old 08-15-2007, 01:57 PM
c_t_f Offline

Wink Re: What makes a good team

Quote:
The only good TM is Surf.
[quick correction] 'The only good HM is Surf.'
Old 08-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Subside Offline

Send a message via AIM to Subside Send a message via MSN to Subside

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-wooper
The only good TM is Surf.
Waterfall says hello.

Disregard all the info that you have been given so far as it basically sucks.

You say you need help with EV's? serebii's guide is quite good and gives you the basic's, it can be found here

As for competative battling, well as someone suggested the DP Strategy board could be of some use, but you learn the most by doing, so once you have a competative team together start battling and you'll learn rather quickly.

Smogon's forums have some good movesets for individual mons, just take a look around and go from there, good luck.

Last edited by Subside; 08-15-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Ulazlo Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic_Despair View Post
Waterfall says hello.

Disregard all the info that you have been given so far as it basically sucks.

You say you need help with EV's? serebii's guide is quite good and gives you the basic's, it can be found here

As for competative battling, well as someone suggested the DP Strategy board could be of some use, but you learn the most by doing, so once you have a competative team together start battling and you'll learn rather quickly.

Smogon's forums have some good movesets for individual mons, just take a look around and go from there, good luck.
that was insulting...

first off i agree that waterfall is good for a water-type that more attack(gyrados).

yes he could start off battling people but most guys don't like playing someone new.

and as to your comment that all previous info sucked, people did have some good info. i did tell evil-rayquaza that his team was o.k. not great and that mewtwo is not allowed in most competetive battles. c-wooper did say not to use cut/rocksmash/defog/etc...
Old 08-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Subside Offline

Send a message via AIM to Subside Send a message via MSN to Subside

So then, someone said that an ingame team at level 70 would be good for competitive play, yup I could see why everyone would want to take that person's advice.

A team comprised of the Kanto starters plus a few over powered mons , it would most likely make you look like a n00b and would most likely get wasted rather quickly.

I was simply trying to direct the Topic Poster in the right direction, being mean or not.

Also, without actually trying a team out via battling you won't get a feel for it, what its weaknesses are and what other mon you can train up to counter said weakness, so yes, I believe battling is a viable way to get to grips with competitive play.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Machampion Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Machampion Send a message via Yahoo to Machampion Send a message via Skype™ to Machampion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbexyG-q3a0
Old 04-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamehamehaha View Post
This thread's 3 years old...
Closed Thread