Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Other Boards Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Lesbian mouse gene found

Well, you don't have to believe me, but here's a paper that denotes how things work. It's free anyway.

It's actually not surprising that you can turn female mice to act like a male and vice versa. What's interesting, though, is that we can now prove that behavioural differences in homosexual people can be as natural as this (with additional complexity). Perhaps there is a human analogue to this gene just waiting for us to find it. Of course, this is difficult to do due to ethical concerns, but it certainly debunks (i.e. utterly annihilate and demolish) one of the oldest stupidities that the anti-gay communities proclaim: homosexuality is a choice and is entirely not genetically programmed one bit.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Tombi's Avatar
Tombi Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Blighty.
Posts: 10,337
Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi
Default Re: Lesbian mouse gene found

Oh dear. The WBC aren't going to like this.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Woodchuck's Avatar
Woodchuck Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,120
Send a message via MSN to Woodchuck Send a message via Skype™ to Woodchuck
Default Re: Lesbian mouse gene found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombi View Post
Oh dear. The WBC aren't going to like this.
I'm not sure the WBC like much of anything, to be honest.

Anyway, I was under the impression that they had proven this a while back. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I was pretty sure there had been studies done about homosexual tendencies in animals. Suppose that could've been something entirely different from this, though.
__________________

"Because without Twitter... You're f*cking nothing. Your life is just a burnt-out shell. You're like a husk."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Dr Robotnik's Avatar
Dr Robotnik Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: A boot
Posts: 9,070
Default Re: Lesbian mouse gene found

I always thought it was psychological, not genetic, but I'm no scientist. Interesting to see that sort of thing is coded in with our natural traits. Thanks for the update, Kenny
__________________
<Image made by Neo>
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Lesbian mouse gene found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombi View Post
Oh dear. The WBC aren't going to like this.
Not that they matter. The WBC probably have never even heard of this paper yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
I'm not sure the WBC like much of anything, to be honest.

Anyway, I was under the impression that they had proven this a while back. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I was pretty sure there had been studies done about homosexual tendencies in animals. Suppose that could've been something entirely different from this, though.
Yeah, but this is an actual specific gene. Homosexual tendencies have been proved a long time ago, but nobody had found like a specific gene that connects the dots together. This is the first step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal sonic View Post
I always thought it was psychological, not genetic, but I'm no scientist. Interesting to see that sort of thing is coded in with our natural traits. Thanks for the update, Kenny
Psychology is connected to genetics. Nothing in biology makes sense except under the light of evolution. This statement has been true in the past, present, and will remain true in the future. In our case, it was only a matter of time before we figured out how development plays a role in sexual orientation, and we just happened to stumble upon a specific gene.

Also, fortunately, I am partially a scientist.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Woodchuck's Avatar
Woodchuck Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,120
Send a message via MSN to Woodchuck Send a message via Skype™ to Woodchuck
Default Re: Lesbian mouse gene found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Yeah, but this is an actual specific gene. Homosexual tendencies have been proved a long time ago, but nobody had found like a specific gene that connects the dots together. This is the first step.
Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up.
__________________

"Because without Twitter... You're f*cking nothing. Your life is just a burnt-out shell. You're like a husk."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-01-2011, 05:33 AM
Lord Fedora's Avatar
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Y'all stay off my property!
Posts: 8,471
Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: Lesbian mouse gene found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Psychology is connected to genetics. Nothing in biology makes sense except under the light of evolution. This statement has been true in the past, present, and will remain true in the future. In our case, it was only a matter of time before we figured out how development plays a role in sexual orientation, and we just happened to stumble upon a specific gene.

Also, fortunately, I am partially a scientist.
While psychology is affected by genetics, it's also affected by external forces. Nature and nurture, and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortCasey View Post
Cancer is natural too. But it isn't normal. Homosexuality is not a sin. It is a disorder. It predisposes those who have it toward certain kinds of immoral acts, but no sin is involved unless they freely decide to commit such immoral acts.
Except that cancer actually hurts things, which is why we actively work against it. Cancer is deadly. Cancer is painful. Cancer makes people's lives hell, and hurts them and everyone around them. Believe me when I say, nothing is analogous to how absolutely bad cancer his. Homosexuality, on the other hand, hurts absolutely no one. Your argument rests on the notion that homosexual acts are immoral. Unless you can provide concrete evidence that it actually hurts anyone, I advise exiting.
__________________
URPG/ASB Stats
98% of teens won't stand up for God. Repost this if you think that statistic is the most laughable thing ever.
My new AIM username is GrayFedora12. Do not respond or click on links from any IMs from LordKhajmer.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-01-2011, 05:59 AM
Hoshika's Avatar
Hoshika Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: '»\(ಠ_ಠ)/»'
Posts: 6,618
Default Re: Lesbian mouse gene found

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an analog to the LESBIAN MOUSE GENE. it sounds funny like that :V

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortCasey View Post
Cancer is natural too. But it isn't normal. Homosexuality is not a sin. It is a disorder. It predisposes those who have it toward certain kinds of immoral acts, but no sin is involved unless they freely decide to commit such immoral acts.
Welcome to the PokÚmon Elite 2000 forums! Have fun, follow the rules, and please enjoy your stay. :3

except you bumped an old (although interesting) thread and that's BREAKING A RULE so maybe we can take your clothes and feed them to some goats or something
__________________
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.


Last edited by Hoshika; 02-01-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Lesbian mouse gene found

Actually, the forum is taking it easy on the whole "posting on an old thread." We all had a little unofficial discussion, and we think that if the comment contributes something to the argument, than it is a valid post.

Anyway, overall, I still think that a person still needs the right conditions while being raised to become a full-fledged homosexual. It may have to do with genes, but it also has to do with life choices as well.

Quote:
Except that cancer actually hurts things, which is why we actively work against it. Cancer is deadly. Cancer is painful. Cancer makes people's lives hell, and hurts them and everyone around them. Believe me when I say, nothing is analogous to how absolutely bad cancer his. Homosexuality, on the other hand, hurts absolutely no one. Your argument rests on the notion that homosexual acts are immoral. Unless you can provide concrete evidence that it actually hurts anyone, I advise exiting.
I advise you stop being an offensive bigot, and let him/her speak his/her piece. While I disagree with it, I do not go out of my way to tell the person to stop contributing to the argument.

Homosexuality does not hurt people externally, to an extent. However, because there are still some idiots out there who offend gay people, it probably hurts them emotionally. It may be an indirect cause, but it still happens. Me, myself, am straight but I have nothing against homos unless they start checking my ass out... then that is too far.

And I just have an odd question... One that I cannot bare to hold in any longer. I am interested in science and technology in general. So, using pure human logic, how in the hell could a homosexual gene be passed down throughout humanity if homosexual people have sex with another man (or woman if lesbian)? Would it halt the "spread" of the gene? I mean, one gets genes via combination of a MOTHER and a FATHER. So, just saying... it sounds a little unesplained. (yes I meant that typo)
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 02-01-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: Lesbian mouse gene found

This isn't that extraordinary, scientists have been making lesbian and gay flies since 2007 (at least that's when the study was published) by altering their DNA. Scientifically, it's always been pretty certain that homosexuality is genetic. No study on homosexuality ever conducted has ever shown any environment that is more likely to produce homosexual adults than any other.

Quote:
And I just have an odd question... One that I cannot bare to hold in any longer. I am interested in science and technology in general. So, using pure human logic, how in the hell could a homosexual gene be passed down throughout humanity if homosexual people have sex with another man (or woman if lesbian)? Would it halt the "spread" of the gene? I mean, one gets genes via combination of a MOTHER and a FATHER. So, just saying... it sounds a little unesplained. (yes I meant that typo)
You learned about recessive genes in school, I hope. If a woman has a gay son and a straight daughter, then the family's homosexuality gene is still passed through the sister's children even if the son never reproduces. It's the same way with genetic diseases that always result in the death of the child. A gene doesn't have to be expressed in a person for that person to carry the gene.
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 02-01-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Lesbian mouse gene found

But if this gene is passed down through that way, where in the world was it first conceived, and when... and how? Since genes and hereditary traits are mainly compiled of natural adaptations to the surroundings of the living being, why would one develop such a trait?
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 02-02-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: Lesbian mouse gene found

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
But if this gene is passed down through that way, where in the world was it first conceived, and when... and how? Since genes and hereditary traits are mainly compiled of natural adaptations to the surroundings of the living being, why would one develop such a trait?
Who ever said that organisms can only have beneficial new traits? Hereditary traits aren't compiled out of natural adaptations, they emerge spontaneously and completely randomly. Unless it's something like "all people with this gene die instantly", it will likely be passed down and survive. Homosexual activity has been observed in many animal species.
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Hoshika's Avatar
Hoshika Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: '»\(ಠ_ಠ)/»'
Posts: 6,618
Default Re: Lesbian mouse gene found

^ Agreed. The homosexuality gene could be a complete accident on nature's part, not that everything that makes us what we are isn't already a huge compilation of successful mistakes. Genetic differences in organisms is the result of mutations, completely unrelated from what is necessary for them to be successful beings. Giraffes didn't get long necks because they had to, it just so happened that all the mutant giraffes with ugly long necks lived to pass down their traits.

Also about what TA said earlier, heterosexuality can hurt people too (rape). :(

Basically anything can hurt anything in almost any way, but whatever. I forgot what was being argued. Can't wait to see some hot-girl-mouse-on-girl-mouse action.
__________________
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Exon Auxus's Avatar
Exon Auxus Offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: No.
Posts: 6,079
Send a message via AIM to Exon Auxus
Default Re: Lesbian mouse gene found

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
But if this gene is passed down through that way, where in the world was it first conceived, and when... and how? Since genes and hereditary traits are mainly compiled of natural adaptations to the surroundings of the living being, why would one develop such a trait?
They happen as a result of mutations. Like what Hoshika said, those who survive with a certain trait do so because of "natural selection". However homosexuality as an anomalous expression of genes isn't as drastic because you aren't going to die just for being gay. xP
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Lesbian mouse gene found

Ah, so it is an anomaly now. A mistake? Something of a defect? Strange... Even though I am straight, I feel offended... xD

Nah, I am kidding. I have nothing against gays, but I still do not know why the hell a human would experience a genetic mutation, since they are affected by one's surroundings... Maybe there were just not enough of the opposite sex at the time xD (Take it as a joke for God's sake)
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com