Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:23 AM
Akuaburedo Offline
New Trainer

Default Historical What-Ifs

(I guess this goes here....)

I remember a few months ago learning about the Zimmerman Telegraph and wondering what might have happened in Mexico entered the war against America. :O Or what if the Japanese invasion of Mexico was a success? Or if the German invasion of Britain was a success.

Discuss the possibilities. :OOO

Old 05-23-2011, 04:00 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat
Default Re: Historical What-Ifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuaburedo View Post

I remember a few months ago learning about the Zimmerman Telegraph and wondering what might have happened in Mexico entered the war against America. :O Or what if the Japanese invasion of Mexico was a success? Or if the German invasion of Britain was a success.

If the Japanese had invaded Mexico, I would know Japanese right now! :D And maybe my country wouldn't be so poor and "Zeta" infested right now. But in all seriousness, I didn't know Japan had tried to invade Mexico.

I also often wonder what would have happened if the Spanish hadn't come to Mexico and gotten involved with the Native Americans. I'm guessing that Native Americans would have prospered and grown to the point where being invaded wouldn't be such a big possibility. Or maybe somebody else had come along, like the English.

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 05-23-2011, 04:35 AM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim

If Japan successfully invaded Mexico, I suspect the US would get involved due to the Monroe Doctrine. Not sure how the Mexicans would feel about this, but the US wouldn't feel safe with a foreign power in their sphere of influence, especially in such a location that borders the US.
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Akuaburedo Offline
New Trainer

Well the invasion of Mexico would have been a ploy for the Japanese to eventually invade America. Since lots of Americans were either in Europe or in the Pacific, Japan would be free to invade Mexico without fear of American retaliation. I'm sure we'd have some troops there, but the Japanese could easily hold them back until Mexico City was taken.

What if Napoleon actually beat Russia? :O Or if Hitler actually beat Russia?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:

If Mexico had entered the war? Absolutely nothing. Mexico couldn't have conquered Panama, much less the United States. And if the Japanese invasion of Mexico was a success? It couldn't be. The majority of the Japanese army was wrapped up in pacifying China. Even if they had successfully made a NA invasion, it would have been absolutely destroyed by the US army.

Quote:
Well the invasion of Mexico would have been a ploy for the Japanese to eventually invade America. Since lots of Americans were either in Europe or in the Pacific, Japan would be free to invade Mexico without fear of American retaliation. I'm sure we'd have some troops there, but the Japanese could easily hold them back until Mexico City was taken.
Nonsense, America would instantly have declared war on Japan if they invaded Mexico. Europe was an ocean away, but Mexico's right next door. There's not a chance that Americans would have been content to sit around and let Mexico be invaded.

Quote:
What if Napoleon actually beat Russia? :O Or if Hitler actually beat Russia
I don't know much about Napoleon, but Hitler never stood a chance against Russia. There's no conceivable way WWII could have gone without Stalin being in the winner's circle.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 05-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Napoleon lost for the same reasons Hitler did. He lost because he ran out of supplies and the ******* Father Winter decided to rain on the actually tall general's friggin' French parade. Ahem, naow back to watchin' Jackass the Movie.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Akuaburedo Offline
New Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Nonsense, America would instantly have declared war on Japan if they invaded Mexico. Europe was an ocean away, but Mexico's right next door. There's not a chance that Americans would have been content to sit around and let Mexico be invaded.
I'm not saying that the US would have ignored the invasion, but they'd have their hands occupied with a war on two fronts to focus a huge military invasion of Mexico. That's practically a war from the East, West and South.

My question about the Zimmerman Telegraph has more to do with Mexican-American relations haha. We whipped Mexico's ass in the Mexican-American War and we could beat them again, but the Mexican-American border and Mexican-Americans themselves would be treated much differently if that occurred.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying that the US would have ignored the invasion, but they'd have their hands occupied with a war on two fronts to focus a huge military invasion of Mexico. That's practically a war from the East, West and South.

My question about the Zimmerman Telegraph has more to do with Mexican-American relations haha. We whipped Mexico's ass in the Mexican-American War and we could beat them again, but the Mexican-American border and Mexican-Americans themselves would be treated much differently if that occurred.
Yeah! There would have been not only Hispanic, but ASIAN illegals sneaking over and that means stupid Republicans would be doubly as racist XDDDD
Old 05-24-2011, 01:28 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

What if China decided to conquer all of Africa in the early 1800's instead of closing itself off from everything? It would presumably be the most powerful empire to exist in the modern world, considerign the amount of wealth Africa had generated for the Europeans many years later when they decided to colonize Africa.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:26 AM
3m0d0ll Offline

Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll

What if Mercutio never invited Romeo to the Capulets' party?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:12 PM

What if it isn't duck season, BUT WABBIT SEASON! I think this thread is quite pointless...
Old 05-25-2011, 02:20 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:

And so would Japan. The Japanese army was so occupied with China that it couldn't possibly have launched a substantial invasion of Mexico, let alone the US. If you look at the two sides, there was just no way Japan could have beat America in WWII, in land or air or sea. It's a bigger a mismatch as Germany vs the Soviet Union.

As for Mexico, it would probably be a stronger country than it is today since the US has a tendency to rebuild the countries it conquers then leave, ala Germany, Italy, and Japan.

Quote:
What if China decided to conquer all of Africa in the early 1800's instead of closing itself off from everything? It would presumably be the most powerful empire to exist in the modern world, considerign the amount of wealth Africa had generated for the Europeans many years later when they decided to colonize Africa.
From what I understand, the Chinese government was facing enormous internal resistance and rebellions (see: Opium Wars, Taiping Rebellion) by the late 1700s, so they may not have been able to conquer Africa in the 1800s in the first place. Earlier than that, I dunno. Maybe they didn't have the technology. I also think that the Americas were by far the more valuable colonization target than Africa, so Europe would still be a major world power.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Old 05-25-2011, 02:21 AM
Gokudera-Kun Offline

Send a message via AIM to Gokudera-Kun

I think the biggest what-if in history would be "What if the Pilgrims never left Europe?" I can't even imagine what things would be like without America.

VPP: Giratina, Level100 @ 4,554
Old 05-25-2011, 03:14 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokudera-Kun View Post
I think the biggest what-if in history would be "What if the Pilgrims never left Europe?" I can't even imagine what things would be like without America.
Um, we wouldn't have Thanksgiving? It's not like just because the Pilgrims didn't leave Europe that nobody else would. One way or another the Americans were going to be settled. In the grand scheme of things the Pilgrims themselves were largely irrelevant.

Art Gallery
Old 05-25-2011, 03:21 AM
karmachameleon Offline

Send a message via AIM to karmachameleon

What if Gary Anderson hadn't missed that field goal attempt in the 1999 NFC Championship game? The Super Bowl that year would have been a whole lot better, I tell ya hwhat.