Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » PE2K Front Desk

PE2K Front Desk Forum announcements will be posted here. Any questions, suggestions or ideas concerning the forum or the website should also be posted in here. If you need help on your avatar or signature, or help on using the forum, this is the place to go.

View Poll Results: Are you happy with PE2K's new re-organisation of boards?
Yes 32 47.06%
No 36 52.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2011, 03:00 AM
paperfairy Offline

Send a message via AIM to paperfairy Send a message via Skype™ to paperfairy
Default Re: Are you happy with the new forum re-organisation made to PE2K?

As the person who originally proposed this thing, I guess I'll step in and say a few words.

First and foremost, my idea was what you see now - a more organized and condensed version of PE2K. The whole reason behind the change was that it is a fact: users are more likely to join forums with less, more active boards than robust, but inactive boards. When I proposed this in Feb, PE2K was LARGELY inactive.

And I think what we have here is a success. I do realize that the staff feels that this was rushed, but I proposed this to the staff in FEBRUARY. It is JUNE. NOBODY said anything until Kenny and Harry finally realized my point, and made it happy. To anybody with access to those boards that didn't say anything: shut up.

To the members without access: Kenny is right - whenever something "new" happens, there is ALWAYS the initial backlash of individuals that hate change. But I believe that overtime, we will all adapt and get used to the new layout. Are there some things I would change based on member feedback? YES. For example: I would defuse the RPGs. But that's something that I think the Staff should be looking at down the line, after we see how this works over time. Getting angry right now, however, isn't helping much, and so I am asking the members to be patient, and bear with us.

Thanks. Also I likely won't see any replies to this post, so uh, don't bother arguing with me.

Will always find their kind.
ASBL | twins with Jenn <3
Old 06-21-2011, 03:04 AM
Operative Offline

Send a message via MSN to Operative Send a message via Skype™ to Operative

I like that it was actually done but I don't think I'll actually be able to take it all in until I become more active. Right now I think I'll just stick with my good friend, New Posts.

This does make finding things much more easier and it's not all cluttered with boards that got a new thread every month or so. Good idea, imo.

|thedynamicduo|
Old 06-21-2011, 03:26 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioo View Post
I liked the way the RP area used to be set out. It looks so unorganised and confusing the way it is now. Plus the sign-ups would end up dropping pack several pages with new rps being made and so on, and thus some roleplays wouldn't get new members and stuff...
We're thinking about the solution that we were talking about for the entire page.

But on your point about this:
The sign ups thing didn't start until we started to have the storytellers/projects era, which was only a couple years ago. Back then sign ups were the threads themselves and people signed up in the middle of threads, which was rather interesting in its own way since some people integrated parts of the "story thus far" into their sign ups. It was a pretty interesting system that had worked, but changed due to circumstances beyond my understanding.

I do think that there are pros and cons of each method of RPing, so I won't really argue much other than that that kind of a thing worked in the past and work now in other forums.

To 3m0d0ll:
It was a sticky back in February...

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 06-21-2011 at 03:30 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:34 AM
CM Offline
Dungeon Master

Send a message via AIM to CM

It seems like things are starting to get a little out of hand in my opinion. My solution now- let's just give this a try for a while. The Mods and Staff have made good points, and it seems like other members agree with them. Sure, I didn't like it at first, but now that I've had time to soak it in and think, it makes sense. So please, let's not argue about it and try how it's organized for a little while.

For those who still want the SU board back, just try to combine your SU and DS thread in the Discussion Board. Those of you who have started a RP before should have noticed a ton of questions are asked in the SU threat itself and not in the DS thread that much, even if you posted both not too far apart. That suggestion that was made is a good compromise. If it doesn't work out and the RP boards still look cluttered, then maybe it'll be changed. But we won't know if any of this will work out well or not if we don't at least give it a try.

Lv100 @ 7896
~Links~
Old 06-21-2011, 03:35 AM
paperfairy Offline

Send a message via AIM to paperfairy Send a message via Skype™ to paperfairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
But on your point about this:
The sign ups thing didn't start until we started to have the storytellers/projects era, which was only a couple years ago. Back then sign ups were the threads themselves and people signed up in the middle of threads, which was rather interesting in its own way since some people integrated parts of the "story thus far" into their sign ups. It was a pretty interesting system that had worked, but changed due to circumstances beyond my understanding..
I was thinking the same thing actually. I think the only person who would know is Neo... why DID it change?

Will always find their kind.
ASBL | twins with Jenn <3
Old 06-21-2011, 03:53 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperfairy View Post
I was thinking the same thing actually. I think the only person who would know is Neo... why DID it change?
In that era that was the predominant form of role playing, so we used Neo and the others' suggestions that they wanted a separate sign ups or something like that.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:04 AM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
I think the RP boards should have the SU subforum, it makes it more organized.
One of the reasons when I first came to the site was because the RP boards were organized and RP and SU weren't part of the same thread or section. It seemed to disrupt the flow of things in general when an SU was posted in the middle of an RP thread because it was supposed to be posted there or by accident.

I will admit I'll miss the separation of Pokemon to Non-Pokemon RP's but that's something I'll have to get used to.

Quote:
User feedback's telling us that a signups + discussion all in one forum (i.e. the thread is first used for sign ups, then for discussion) would probably be the way we'll go. Unfortunately, this does mean that there will be short-term "turmoil" that can't be avoided.
To add to what I was saying, I've seen SU threads turn into more discussion threads, even if stated to put discussion in discussion threads so I completely give this a thumbs up if this could happen if we don't have an SU sub forum anymore.

As for the ASB, URPG, and POL sections being put into one, it seems like there is a lot put into one place and it seems almost a bit overwhelming. I know how big the URPG section was alone and to have it fit into something with two other previous sections in it seems a bit crazy.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:11 AM
3m0d0ll Offline

Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll

Quote:
To 3m0d0ll:
It was a sticky back in February...
Jessu said something about suggesting that it should have been made into an Announcement, which I agree with. xD I normally go right to the ASB and just skim, if that, the other sections. I know that there's nothing anybody can do about this now, just giving a suggestion as to how it I think it should be handled in the future. c: ♥
Old 06-21-2011, 04:29 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3m0d0ll View Post
Jessu said something about suggesting that it should have been made into an Announcement, which I agree with. xD I normally go right to the ASB and just skim, if that, the other sections. I know that there's nothing anybody can do about this now, just giving a suggestion as to how it I think it should be handled in the future. c: ♥
I would like to ask, how should we do this? I mean, clearly making stickies don't work.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:36 AM
3m0d0ll Offline

Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll

Quote:
I would like to ask, how should we do this? I mean, clearly making stickies don't work.
I'd say making an Announcement, similar to what was done for the Creative Dex when it was released. :/
Old 06-21-2011, 05:48 AM
Teo Offline

Send a message via AIM to Teo Send a message via MSN to Teo

I'm pretty sure I mentioned something about getting input from members and mods in the given sections that were changed before anything was actually changed. Though I guess nobody was contacted and they felt the announcement thread was enough. Wish it was up longer and a news post was made about it or something. Guess they were a bit busy with other things to look into the matter more.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:59 AM
k_pop Offline
PE2K Website Staff

I can't really complain too much. I'll be honest and say that I didn't see the discussion thread. It does look a lot cleaner that things have been cut back and condensed for most of the boards.
I do know that I'm not really sure I like having the SUs mixed into the active RP threads. That seems like it would get confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
Well Harry suggested in the other thread that maybe Roleplay Discussion could be made Roleplay Discussion and Sign Ups. Then people could sign up in there, and once the RP starts, they can use the thread for discussion. Does that sound like a good idea?
That seems rather logical. A lot of discussion tends to go on in some SU threads anyway.
I also have to say that the other thing I'm not too sure of is combining the fics. Other subject fics kinda seem to stand out among the Pokemon fics. =/

For the most part, I'm glad to give the changes a try. Won't hurt anything I guess. ^^'
Old 06-21-2011, 03:08 PM
MoonKit Offline

Send a message via MSN to MoonKit

I actually quite dislike the change.

I've been here since late 09 and have gotten use to the old theme, I really liked it. It was well-organized and clean. It had been the first forum with a Su sub-forum, sprite-art subforum, and other discussion sub-forums.

On my first forum, it was cluttered and quite messy. Discussions, Roleplays, and sign-ups were all on one board, in one thread. It often got distracting unless it was a private, 1x1 RP. The other discussions, leaving/coming back, and trivia/games was all one thing, there was no spesific forum for announcements or news.

Now, Pe2k looks kind of like that. Sure, trivia-games is still its own thing, but the non-pokemon related ones and pokemon-related ones are all in a jumbled mess, and half don't have things that say [Pkmn]/[Other]. Putting all of the art boards together was kind of crazy, half of them had nothing like that, and now drawings, graphics, and contests are together. Either that, or there are no contests, the only safe thing that is uncluttered is Sprite Art.

I dislike how ASBL, URPG, and POL are all put together. The battle sud-forums will soon become inactive due to this, and the Trainer Stats.

Putting the Sign-ups with RPs will make people sign up in the middle of Rps, and cause a mess with accepting etc...if you put them with discussions, people would just post tons of talking, and sign ups may be ignored.

Where is the dislike button, and where is the old Pe2k that I knew back in 09?

EDIT:
Just noticed that just looking at the Interactive boards nowdays gives me a headache DX
Old 06-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonKit View Post
Now, Pe2k looks kind of like that. Sure, trivia-games is still its own thing, but the non-pokemon related ones and pokemon-related ones are all in a jumbled mess, and half don't have things that say [Pkmn]/[Other]. Putting all of the art boards together was kind of crazy, half of them had nothing like that, and now drawings, graphics, and contests are together. Either that, or there are no contests, the only safe thing that is uncluttered is Sprite Art.
The non-pokemon vs pokemon distinction for literally everything is by far the most stupid thing I've seen coming from a forum, considering that naturally there is no clutter when non-pokemon gives you at most 10% of the traffic of a single forum. There wasn't enough traffic for non-pokemon to work. We either cull it completely or we merge them together. We went with the latter because eventually it'll become the latter anyway.

Drawings/original art and graphics have coexisted long before we separated them. An artist now only needs 2 threads to cover everything (sprite and nonsprite) instead of having to maintain 3 separate threads. In addition, there was a LOT of confusion as to what constitutes graphics art vs "original art" and what not. That confusion is gone. We're a spriting forum, so obviously we'll have that separate from the rest of the arts. Contests simply go to where they're supposed to go. A spriting contest should be in the spriting section as a sticky, not as a separate forum where a spriter would miss it entirely.

These cases are by far the least politically problematic things we changed, considering that it's so completely obvious.

Quote:
I dislike how ASBL, URPG, and POL are all put together. The battle sud-forums will soon become inactive due to this, and the Trainer Stats.
We'll look into this, considering that it's a pretty common issue that people have been talking about. It's tough to say what we would do, but what we won't be doing is returning to the old format.

Quote:
Putting the Sign-ups with RPs will make people sign up in the middle of Rps, and cause a mess with accepting etc...if you put them with discussions, people would just post tons of talking, and sign ups may be ignored.

Where is the dislike button, and where is the old Pe2k that I knew back in 09?
It's 2011. Stop living in the past and face reality.

Quote:
Just noticed that just looking at the Interactive boards nowdays gives me a headache DX
As far as I know it's just got the strategies/msets section merged with it somehow. I actually thought it was a fairly elegant way to not have two separate forums that function in exactly the same way.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

Quote:
The non-pokemon vs pokemon distinction for literally everything is by far the most stupid thing I've seen coming from a forum, considering that naturally there is no clutter when non-pokemon gives you at most 10% of the traffic of a single forum. There wasn't enough traffic for non-pokemon to work. We either cull it completely or we merge them together. We went with the latter because eventually it'll become the latter anyway.

These cases are by far the least politically problematic things we changed, considering that it's so completely obvious.
I don't think people complaining about the merging of Pokemon to non-Pokemon and removing the separation is without some merit, nor do I think it was a stupid thing to do Pokemon separated from non-Pokemon forums in the first place.

Please note, I do realize that the activity in the [Other] places is too low and that merging now may actually bring them back up and we don't have the activity we used to have.

When I first joined years back, having the Pokemon and the Other section really stood out. It said that this really was a Pokemon forum and it wasn't one like the others I had come across. The main focus was about Pokemon, which is the reason anyone would join, then you had the Other sections to find what else you had in common with the other members, make friends and eventually feel more comfortable in the community. The forum, to me as I can't speak for anyone else, really held up the site's name of 'Pokemon Elite'. It felt like an elite forum to me and felt different from other forums.

Now with the older members such as myself, with the changes I feel like the condensed version of the forum isn't as crisp, and doesn't have the feel that made PE2K what it was. To me it feels like some of the other forums I've looked at. Of course with the slow and steady loss of some old long time members it started to lose a bit of the feel there as well.

Trying to bring new members in with this format may work out, it may work out well, but it won't make much of a difference if the members who are already here aren't staying.

I'm not sure if anyone else feels this way but it's what I'm thinking is why people are not liking the Pokemon/Other merge.