Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » PE2K Front Desk

PE2K Front Desk Forum announcements will be posted here. Any questions, suggestions or ideas concerning the forum or the website should also be posted in here. If you need help on your avatar or signature, or help on using the forum, this is the place to go.

View Poll Results: Are you happy with PE2K's new re-organisation of boards?
Yes 32 47.06%
No 36 52.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Mr420 Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr420
Default Re: Are you happy with the new forum re-organisation made to PE2K?

aside from the very obnoxious girl yelling at her boyfriend in the alley next to my pad yeah I like the new changes..

also I just noticed could someone elaborate on what happened to a new section that fit under i dont know which it was called the Tournament approval thread?
was that bogus or does it no longer apply to the new format?

Pokérus Empire

Last edited by Mr420; 06-21-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Kaioo Offline

Send a message via AIM to Kaioo

In my view, if you're changing the forum to make it all cluttered and bunched up(which is what the rp board and others had become) to attract new people, those new people are more than likely going to be people that aren't that good with organisation, possibly (no offense) lacking the skills to understand the organisation of the forums.

Basically, I feel as if you're dumbing down the forum to attract people that could possibly not understand the forum before...

This sounded a lot better in my head, and I hope my point isn't missed >.<

Credit to Neo Pikachu for the avatar.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:24 PM
-Pichu Boy- Offline

Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-

I'm fine with most of it, just the RPG fuses I have a major problem with, but I've ranted about that in the Pe2k Spring Cleaning thread, so I'll keep that there.

But, one thing I don't get is why some forums' positions were moved. Yeah, sure, merge boards and delete others, but please, what was so ratty about the end part of the category that caused the Art forum and Trivia/Games forum to be swapped? The only thing that's happening there is confusing the already exisiting members.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraibre Ryu View Post
I don't think people complaining about the merging of Pokemon to non-Pokemon and removing the separation is without some merit, nor do I think it was a stupid thing to do Pokemon separated from non-Pokemon forums in the first place.

Please note, I do realize that the activity in the [Other] places is too low and that merging now may actually bring them back up and we don't have the activity we used to have.

When I first joined years back, having the Pokemon and the Other section really stood out. It said that this really was a Pokemon forum and it wasn't one like the others I had come across. The main focus was about Pokemon, which is the reason anyone would join, then you had the Other sections to find what else you had in common with the other members, make friends and eventually feel more comfortable in the community. The forum, to me as I can't speak for anyone else, really held up the site's name of 'Pokemon Elite'. It felt like an elite forum to me and felt different from other forums.

Now with the older members such as myself, with the changes I feel like the condensed version of the forum isn't as crisp, and doesn't have the feel that made PE2K what it was. To me it feels like some of the other forums I've looked at. Of course with the slow and steady loss of some old long time members it started to lose a bit of the feel there as well.

Trying to bring new members in with this format may work out, it may work out well, but it won't make much of a difference if the members who are already here aren't staying.

I'm not sure if anyone else feels this way but it's what I'm thinking is why people are not liking the Pokemon/Other merge.
The other boards don't have activity period. It has to go, whether you like it or not. The question is whether or not the merge was better or directly culling it completely. We chose the lesser of two evils. It's useless to complain about it because the other option we have is worse off.

The new forum is arguably more streamlined than before, with less red tape. How can we, as a small forum, have more categories than much larger forums like mtgs or serebii and hope to be as active? We had more categories because we had enough people to populate it. We can't sustain it, thus it contracted. If in the future there is a need for expansion of forums, we will do that. It's that simple. If you want to blame something, blame the lack of activity.

While I can't say that it isn't within our intentions that this may attract new members (it won't), my primary concern was that the forums were being too cluttered with useless categories and extra forums that never get used. As you may have noticed, it's mostly those that were contracted and merged. That is my primary intention when dealing with this issue. That is, simplicity is far superior to excessive taxonomy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioo View Post
Basically, I feel as if you're dumbing down the forum to attract people that could possibly not understand the forum before...
There's a difference between dumbing down and simplifying. We shouldn't be striving for intense separation and categorization, but rather a forum that actually functions in such a way that people can intuitively go into the correct thread more easily. Don't confuse yourself with dumbing down and us streamlining the forum. We aren't. Not by a long shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pichu Boy- View Post
I'm fine with most of it, just the RPG fuses I have a major problem with, but I've ranted about that in the Pe2k Spring Cleaning thread, so I'll keep that there.

But, one thing I don't get is why some forums' positions were moved. Yeah, sure, merge boards and delete others, but please, what was so ratty about the end part of the category that caused the Art forum and Trivia/Games forum to be swapped? The only thing that's happening there is confusing the already exisiting members.
We've already compromised on the RPG board position, so that's that.

The positional changes in the forums takes getting used to, but that happens to all of us, not just you. To be honest, it's not that big of a deal.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Simmi Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to Simmi Send a message via MSN to Simmi

To be honest the changes has made the forum less cluttered and look a bit more active, I like the changes, changes is good, and to be a bit more honest, it's a bit of shock to not see the Announcement section as the first thing you see when the Forum loads, but it's no big deal and I'll have gotten used to that by Friday.. xD

The logic of this re-organizing seams bullet prove to me, like the Art's section, well each subsection had about 2-4 active threads, so now the Art section will have about 6-12 active threads in it but now with those 3 combined the the Arts (Graphics, Drawn art and Contest) section won't look as dead, and when it doesn't look so dead it will look more appealing and attractive and more people might wanna post in there.

And if the prefixes I suggested would be added it would uncanny/perfect (iknowegomuchxD)

So I hope this will make the site look more appealing and alive, and some of the comments I've read from people who dislike the changes seam to be about nothing and illogical, just complaining to complain, just saying, but this goes for just some while others bring a logical valid well composed argument that describes what they don't like.

Last edited by Simmi; 06-21-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:23 PM
MoonKit Offline

Send a message via MSN to MoonKit

Simmi, you're sounding like Paperfairy.

No offence, mods, but half of the members I've seen/Fb'd with recently hate the changes. The majority, if you get what I mean. The forum really looks cluttered, and I agree with whoever said this: It will attract people who can't organize things that well (Sure, I can't, but still...)
Old 06-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonKit View Post
Simmi, you're sounding like Paperfairy.

No offence, mods, but half of the members I've seen/Fb'd with recently hate the changes. The majority, if you get what I mean. The forum really looks cluttered, and I agree with whoever said this: It will attract people who can't organize things that well (Sure, I can't, but still...)
Half the members hated our change to vB back in 2004. What's your point?
Old 06-21-2011, 10:07 PM
3m0d0ll Offline

Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll

I don't even get WHY there was a change... The layout was fine the way it was. :/
Old 06-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Kaioo Offline

Send a message via AIM to Kaioo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3m0d0ll View Post
I don't even get WHY there was a change... The layout was fine the way it was. :/
To attract new people.
So far all I've seen it do is alienate the current members.

Credit to Neo Pikachu for the avatar.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:17 PM
3m0d0ll Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioo View Post
To attract new people.
So far all I've seen it do is alienate the current members.
I just don't get it. :/ Honestly, if I wasn't the ONLY active ASB Official, I'd probably remove myself from PE2K for a while--I care about the ASB too much to let it die because some Moderators are letting power go to their heads.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:49 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr420 View Post
aside from the very obnoxious girl yelling at her boyfriend in the alley next to my pad yeah I like the new changes..

also I just noticed could someone elaborate on what happened to a new section that fit under i dont know which it was called the Tournament approval thread?
was that bogus or does it no longer apply to the new format?
Well it's really up to TUST if he would like to have a tournament approval thread or just let people create tournaments whenever they want. Feel free to check with him if you like. =]
Old 06-22-2011, 02:02 AM
atucker22 Offline

I always liked it the way it was. I vote no, but maybe with time I will eventually like this new way better
The "FireMaster" banner done by Thunder1990 My VPP Stats
Old 06-22-2011, 02:04 AM
MoonKit Offline

Send a message via MSN to MoonKit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Half the members hated our change to vB back in 2004. What's your point?
And now, half of the members hate our change in layout. Proffesor G. even left because of it, I hear.

My point is, it has only done bad; it has caused people to leave, for people to want to kill babies (I'm pointing at you, Jenn), and for people to want to leave, but simply can't. I think we should wait, make a poll to see if the members want it changed (Put an example of how it will look possibly) or not, and then majority rules from there.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:07 AM
3m0d0ll Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonKit View Post
And now, half of the members hate our change in layout. Proffesor G. even left because of it, I hear.

My point is, it has only done bad; it has caused people to leave, for people to want to kill babies (I'm pointing at you, Jenn), and for people to want to leave, but simply can't. I think we should wait, make a poll to see if the members want it changed (Put an example of how it will look possibly) or not, and then majority rules from there.
Didn't your mother ever tell you it was rude to point? T_T But that is a good idea. c:
Old 06-22-2011, 02:50 AM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
The other boards don't have activity period. It has to go, whether you like it or not. The question is whether or not the merge was better or directly culling it completely. We chose the lesser of two evils. It's useless to complain about it because the other option we have is worse off.

The new forum is arguably more streamlined than before, with less red tape. How can we, as a small forum, have more categories than much larger forums like mtgs or serebii and hope to be as active? We had more categories because we had enough people to populate it. We can't sustain it, thus it contracted. If in the future there is a need for expansion of forums, we will do that. It's that simple. If you want to blame something, blame the lack of activity.

While I can't say that it isn't within our intentions that this may attract new members (it won't), my primary concern was that the forums were being too cluttered with useless categories and extra forums that never get used. As you may have noticed, it's mostly those that were contracted and merged. That is my primary intention when dealing with this issue. That is, simplicity is far superior to excessive taxonomy.

You confuse my explanation with complaining. :/

I stated before and I'll say it again, I do realize to bring activity up that the merging was needed, however trying to get into a light that those who are saying they dislike this for which reasons.

I also never considered PE2K a small forum but I suppose with the lack of members now we have to stick it in that definition.

What I think needs to be worked on is trying to keep members here, as over the last couple years outgoing vs incoming members was in favour of the outgoing side. When new members come in, keeping them here is going to be something to work on.