Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Other Boards Other Chat

Other Chat For non-Pokemon discussion on everything else. For casual talk only, any more serious topics such as current events, should be in the Discussion. You can talk about anything else that is not covered in the other "Other Boards" that are above.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:46 AM
Ant2011 Offline
-=Create=-

Send a message via AIM to Ant2011
Default A Hurricane!?

So I didn't see a thread on here related to Hurricane Irene, so I thought I'd make one! Where I live is supposed to be hit by this storm at anytime between now and Sunday night. Kinda nervous cuz this is my first hurricane. I endured a tornado as a child, but I'm pretty sure a hurricane is a bit worse. So this thread is to discuss thoughts on Irene, if you've been hit by Irene, ways to prep for a hurricane, etc...
Old 08-28-2011, 04:53 AM
Cheerful Cherubi Offline
Photosynthesis with Viciousness

Default Re: A Hurricane!?

I live in Colorado, but my brother is visiting D.C. right now for a swing dancing competition! He says it's just been raining REALLY hard, but then again, D.C. isn't right by the ocean, like New York. I guess the best thing you can do is to seek higher ground?

Signature made by Foxamivalth!
Old 08-28-2011, 05:07 AM
Ant2011 Offline
-=Create=-

Luckily my street is on a hillish thing. Unfortunately there are trees super close to my room. Last time a tree fell above me there was snow on the roof. (Yes, a tree fell right above my bed.) I know I should be safe from the water at home, but as for the wind, those trees could be a nightmare...
Old 08-28-2011, 05:15 AM
Cheerful Cherubi Offline

:O Well that's not good! I hope you do okay!

Old 08-28-2011, 05:30 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant2011 View Post
Luckily my street is on a hillish thing. Unfortunately there are trees super close to my room. Last time a tree fell above me there was snow on the roof. (Yes, a tree fell right above my bed.) I know I should be safe from the water at home, but as for the wind, those trees could be a nightmare...

I'm in Hurricane Irene right now. She's not that bad...I went outside, actually. Got a little wet and a bit of wind in the face, but I thought it felt good :/ We've have 5 power flickers, one tornado warning, a flash flood warning...

It's my first hurricane as well. Lucky me - I lived through the blizzard that broke records just this winter in Illinois, moved to New Jersey three-four months ago, had a hail storm greet me... Then a week ago went through my first earthquake, and now Hurricane Irene.

Or should I call her Tropical Storm Irene, seeing as her winds are 80 MPH, and a Category 1 Hurricane is classified as such at 74 MPH.

...Meaning, she won't remain a hurricane for very long.

........Yes, I intend to become a meteorologist, actually. I specialize in tornadoes, but I know information about other weather systems and earthquakes/volcanoes.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:32 AM
Ant2011 Offline
-=Create=-

As do I. If I need to leave I'm grabbing the bags I've packed. Pretty much, what I'm saving is: Xbox 360, gamecube, handheld systems, laptop, wallet, bank book, D&D stuff, and my cell phone.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:05 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant2011 View Post
As do I. If I need to leave I'm grabbing the bags I've packed. Pretty much, what I'm saving is: Xbox 360, gamecube, handheld systems, laptop, wallet, bank book, D&D stuff, and my cell phone.

Don't forget your medicines and important documents as well as ID. (I agree with the 360 XP Expensive! And I have Sonic Generations pre-ordered...That'd be cruel to lose the game system I need to play it on! And rock on! I love my Gamecube over my Wii XD)

The thing is, if it's too dangerous, you're safer being in your house than outside...Especially in a car. There has already been a death related to a tree branch snapping and falling off on someone driving down the road.

Again, I'm sleeping on the couch because there is a tree poised to smash through my bedroom ^^'

Well, I gotta get going. It's 2 AM, and the power is fluctuating like crazy (I'm surprised it's stayed this long!). I need to get some sleep...Glad I got Chloe outside before the wind started gusting. The eye wall is approaching, so it's only going to get worse before it gets better.

...Agh I'm tired.

At the time of writing:

10 dead from Irene

Wind: 80 MPH
Pressure: 958 mb
Moving: NNE at 17 MPH

...I love you Weather Channel. *Glomps* And now, off to fitful sleeping on the leather couch! ...Yay?
Old 08-28-2011, 09:03 AM
Assaundrell Yumerai Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Assaundrell Yumerai

Well, here in Asia, I heard the news. It says that the New York City was greatly affected
Old 08-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Cheerful Cherubi Offline

No hurricanes here in Colorado! :)

Old 08-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

A little late, but I will just say something here. -.-

I have been through 3 hurricanes, man (cool thing about having family in Florida, neh?). I know how you feel, but unless you live on the coast and decide to sit put there, you should be fine. Stay indoors, and DO NOT go out until it is officially declared that the hurricane passes over. If it just suddenly gets clear and peaceful, it is not the end. You simply passed through the wall and into the center of the hurricane. Stay indoors until it is announced it is over.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
A little late, but I will just say something here. -.-

I have been through 3 hurricanes, man (cool thing about having family in Florida, neh?). I know how you feel, but unless you live on the coast and decide to sit put there, you should be fine. Stay indoors, and DO NOT go out until it is officially declared that the hurricane passes over. If it just suddenly gets clear and peaceful, it is not the end. You simply passed through the wall and into the center of the hurricane. Stay indoors until it is announced it is over.
^ What she said.

Well, Irene passed. We lost power for all of 5 minutes (how we didn't stay off, I have no idea. We have random outages all the time). No big deal, really. And like I thought, Irene is very close to being a tropical storm again XP

Blarg. Sleeping on the couch made my back sore...And that stereo with its glowing text illuminating the area was annoying. (Fun fact: The first song on my CD Player I listened to, "Stand" by Rascal Flatts, started with the lyrics "You feel like a candle in a hurricane". I mentally swore to myself XD).

NY, you just have to worry about the fact they'll probably cut power from flooding and then it'll take two days to get back on. Good luck ;D

...AGH MY BACK.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Hoshika Offline

My parents went out during the hurricane.

They came back with groceries.

WHAT NOW
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassy_Aggron View Post
^ What she said.
Stares at you. -.-
Old 08-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Shucklulz Offline

I thought this song was appropriate due to the title.

Irene doesn't concern me since I live on the other side of the US but I can empathize just because I put up with the likes of Hurricanes Ivan, Dennis and Wilma (among others) when I lived in Florida for about a decade.

Hope everyone's alright. It's definitely not fun to be in one of those storms.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Jessu Offline

Send a message via AIM to Jessu Send a message via MSN to Jessu Send a message via Skype™ to Jessu

Pffft. Irene was nothing. I went through Ike, Rita, and just a liiiittle bit of Katrina.

Now see, in all honesty, Katrina wasn't bad. It was only considered disastrous because the New Orleans area is the wetlands and it's notorious for flooding anyway. The storm surge just made it worse. And the levees suck.

Rita was about the same but it targeted Texas and we just lol'd at it. We didn't get the damage as bad though.

BUT IKE. Ike was actually a force to be reckoned with because it swelled to the size of the Gulf of Mexico and had the storm surge of a cat. 4, but still had the status of a high cat. 2 when it hit here. Man, it was a mess everywhere, Galveston included, because the surge was high enough to get over the seawall, and that's pretty high.

But really, hurricanes aren't too much of a big deal unless you live in an area of forestation (like I do) or near the coast.

kbye

Remember you're loved, and you always will be;
This melody will bring you right back home.

| Factfile | Quotes | Art | Sprites | POL |