Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Speed of Light challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassy_Aggron View Post
So...Something IS capable of escaping a black hole? Ehehehe...(I should stick with meteorology, methinks).

Hey, at least I got something right XP Super Giants, amirite?
If something is faster than light, it is possible that something can escape a black hole. Light, however, cannot even escape the suction of one.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
So...Something IS capable of escaping a black hole? Ehehehe...(I should stick with meteorology, methinks).

Hey, at least I got something right XP Super Giants, amirite?
No, you still can't escape a black hole. The short version is that virtual pairs of positive and negative-matter particles are constantly manifesting themselves then annihilating each other, and that when these pairs occur on the edge of an event horizon, the positive particles are sent outwards, while the negative particles fall into the black hole, reducing its mass, thus giving the appearance that the black hole has emitted a particle.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 09-25-2011, 01:58 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
No, you still can't escape a black hole. The short version is that virtual pairs of positive and negative-matter particles are constantly manifesting themselves then annihilating each other, and that when these pairs occur on the edge of an event horizon, the positive particles are sent outwards, while the negative particles fall into the black hole, reducing its mass, thus giving the appearance that the black hole has emitted a particle.

Now that is language I can understand. Negatives and positives and event horizons. *Nods* All right, I got it.

...I take it you're going to be in a physics based major, Lus? Just a hunch ^^'
Old 09-25-2011, 04:40 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Now that is language I can understand. Negatives and positives and event horizons. *Nods* All right, I got it.

...I take it you're going to be in a physics based major, Lus? Just a hunch ^^'
No, aiming at Computer Science, although I just arrived at college so that may change at any time (classes start Monday). I just enjoy reading sci-fi, which often leads me to reading a lot of actual science. Stuff like "Cosmic strings are hypothetical 1-dimensional topological defects which may have formed during a symmetry breaking phase transition in the early universe when the topology of the vacuum manifold associated to this symmetry breaking is not simply connected."

Given that this is a Pokemon forum, and as such few (possibly 0?) members know much about modern physics, I'm well aware that pretty much nobody can appreciate just how big a deal Einstein being wrong is (myself included). So I'm not exactly surprised at the lack of interest.

Quote:
Speaking of recent scientific discoveries, did anyone hear that the scientific community is beginning to look at the Multiverse Theory as a probability?
Multiverse theory has been hanging around in the background for couple of years now (specifically, the Many-Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics has been around since 1957). People generally haven't liked it since it's quite a large assumption (thus defying Occam's Razor) and impossible to prove, but it explains a lot of things in quantum mechanics so well that science is thinking that it might be the only option. And of course, the rise of other theories which involve multiple universes, like M-Theory. Multiverse Theory explains why gravity is so weak, why we can perceive non-deterministic events, and some other things. However, there isn't one multiverse theory; rather, it is a bunch of theories coming out of the woodwork that all involve multiple universes. I find it quite fascinating.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."

Last edited by Lusankya; 09-25-2011 at 04:43 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:32 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Given that this is a Pokemon forum, and as such few (possibly 0?) members know much about modern physics, I'm well aware that pretty much nobody can appreciate just how big a deal Einstein being wrong is (myself included). So I'm not exactly surprised at the lack of interest.
I'd call myself the exception to that, if only because my overly excitable irl best friend is studying to be an astrophysicist and won't stop talking about it.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:20 AM

Something Lusankya and I agree on! Yay!

Scientific American news article
Old 09-25-2011, 03:05 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Hmm, reading that article, a variation in the speed of light could be taken as a evidence for a multiverse, being as it is a change in the fundamental constants.

Art Gallery
Old 09-26-2011, 03:12 AM
Teo Offline

Send a message via AIM to Teo Send a message via MSN to Teo

This is quite amazing really! If it's confirmed this could change the foundations of quite the lot of things!

On a side note! I forget what they're called but a form of particles do escape a black hole through out the process of it collapsing on itself. Which is what it's whole life is anyways. Either way, black holes don't just suck in everything around it! There are things that it does emit! Essentially it's another form of the death of a star when all the mass is slowly being compressed until it well...explodes again! xD

I'll have to go back and refresh my memory on this but it's all rather amazing stuff in regard to the Black Hole that is!
Old 09-26-2011, 03:45 AM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teo View Post
This is quite amazing really! If it's confirmed this could change the foundations of quite the lot of things!

On a side note! I forget what they're called but a form of particles do escape a black hole through out the process of it collapsing on itself. Which is what it's whole life is anyways. Either way, black holes don't just suck in everything around it! There are things that it does emit! Essentially it's another form of the death of a star when all the mass is slowly being compressed until it well...explodes again! xD

I'll have to go back and refresh my memory on this but it's all rather amazing stuff in regard to the Black Hole that is!
I remember watching a TV show and it said that MILLIONS of light years away a black hole collapsed in it's self and they thought Einstein's theory, E=MC˛, was wrong, but then they figured that the black hole emitted a light that instead of shone around, focused it to two straight beams, so that's why we could see it on Earth! So they thought it was wrong because the light wouldn't have reached to Earth without proving Einstein's theory wrong, so they concluded instead of shining around, it shone through two focused beams! Then exploded XD

Your post just sparked my memory XD
Old 09-26-2011, 04:10 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:

It's called Hawking Radiation, and as I explained earlier, the black hole does not actually emit a particle that comes out of the event horizon; that is merely an illusion caused by the nature of the event horizon. Eventually though, the black hole will shrink and evaporate.

Art Gallery
Old 09-26-2011, 05:23 AM
Teo Offline

Send a message via AIM to Teo Send a message via MSN to Teo

Though the black hole is still emitting positive particles while negative ones are being absorbed because overall the black hole is still losing mass! xD I mean how else is it suppose to collapse on itself? Cause it still needs to lose energy and mass?
Old 09-26-2011, 08:19 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Though the black hole is still emitting positive particles while negative ones are being absorbed because overall the black hole is still losing mass! xD I mean how else is it suppose to collapse on itself? Cause it still needs to lose energy and mass?
"Emit" is not the right term; these positive particles are coming into existence on the edge of the event horizon itself, but on the side that is outside that black hole. Thus, they never really left the black hole because they were never in the black hole.. Still, for practical purposes, I suppose you can think of it that way.

Art Gallery
Old 09-26-2011, 08:21 PM

The fact that Black Holes can actually shrivel up is news to me. Has this been observed, or is it still in the realm of theoretical science?
Old 09-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
The fact that Black Holes can actually shrivel up is news to me. Has this been observed, or is it still in the realm of theoretical science?
Well, we obviously cannot actually observe black holes disappearing, as Hawking radiation is less than the cosmic background radiation. But group of scientists in Italiy have created a pseudo-event horizon, and claim to have detected radiation consistent with what one would expect of Hawking radiation from it. And granted, pretty much all the physics points to him being right, so it's generally accepted among the scientific community that it happens.

Art Gallery
Old 09-26-2011, 08:32 PM

Interesting. I was not aware of such a finding.