Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga

Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga Talk about the Pokemon anime, movies and manga. NOTE: It's possible that there may be discussions in here that may spoil something for you if you haven't seen that episode/movie/manga before. Please use the spoiler code when appropriate.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:37 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah
Default More than 6 Pokemon on hand?

So I recently started watching the BW anime. And in the last few episodes Ash caught two extra Pokemon, bringing his total to 8 on hand. I'm not sure if they explained earlier in the season why Ash can now carry as many Pokemon as he wants, but is there a reason? The only difference I've seen so far is that the middle of the Pokeball still glows red for any extra Pokemon he catches and Cilan said it's because he has more than 6 Pokemon. Does it mean he can't use them or what?
Old 03-08-2012, 04:03 AM
Adamant Mewtwo Offline

Default Re: More than 6 Pokemon on hand?

wow...i'm not sure actually, I always thought they went to Oak's. But I haven't seen the show in a while....
I'll have to look into this.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Chris007 Offline

If memory serves from BW anime, the ball becomes unable to be used when Ash has 6 Pokemon. It turns small and he can't open it. He'll have to leave it to a professor and switch if he wants to catch the new Pokemon.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:53 AM
SwinubForever Offline

If you look at the episode where Ash catches Sewaddle, he had to go to the Pokemon center, and send one of his Pokemon to Juniper so he could say hi to Sewaddle again. The Pokemon caught most recently is the one blocked off from use.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:38 AM
winstein Offline

Indeed, if he has an extra Pokemon at hand (from the usual six), the button will glow red, making it unusable. This must be the universe's way of saying that you can't have more than six in hand. However, Ash does rotate his Pokemon around, with reserves located at Juniper's lab (like how Oak keeps all of Ash's older Pokemon).

Interestingly, in the Kanto saga, when he caught Krabby (the seventh at hand), the ball disappears from it like it teleports away on its own, which was initially how the universe show you can't have more than six at hand. I think I recall Gary having a sack of Pokemon and claiming to have caught Pokemon in all of them, so I suppose the system is inconsistent. It's inconsistent between the times, I know, but the newer portrayals are generally more consistent, because the older times were weirder (like how Dragonite at the Orange Islands got to use more than four attacks).

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Ooh thanks for clearing it up, guys. It makes sense that he can't use them. Still pretty strange that they changed the mechanism after so long. I thought it made sense to have the Pokemon sent straight to the lab since they're sent straight to boxes in the games. Interesting...
Old 03-14-2012, 09:46 AM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim

I imagine it must be some sort of programmed code in the Pokeball's internal computer. Likely a part of the inherent restrictions placed upon registered trainers.

Which probably makes evil teams much more dangerous if they can find a way around that code...
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.