Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Groups/Clubs

Groups/Clubs Start a Pokemon or non-Pokemon related Group/Club for your favorite topic. Whether it's a group/club for one of the good guys like Ash, Misty, or Brock, to the villains like Team Rocket, Team Magma, and Team Aqua. Your group can be whatever you want.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: The Atheist Alliance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaza529 View Post
i am a theist but i respct other peoples beluefs as well people should believe what they want to believe in

as rahaga said "We dont have anything without beliefs"
Yes, and it is great for people to have their beliefs. But when it gets in the way of their learning, other people's learning, and in the way of societal progression, there is a major problem. Religion has been that way since its beginning in that regard.

By the way, for any Christian who says they are mistreated by the government (I have heard this many times). Watch this.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 04-05-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Phantom0990 Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Phantom0990

Interesting vid.

The main thing I hate about many religious organisations is indoctrination. I was forced into it myself. It's evil in my eyes, now at least.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:52 AM

Richard Dawkins was absolutely correct when he said indoctrination is child abuse.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 06-07-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:54 AM
mintjelly Offline
Father Cat

Send a message via AIM to mintjelly Send a message via Skype™ to mintjelly

May I join this group? I need some intellectual conversations with fellow atheists once in a while.

Shun the non-believer
Old 04-19-2012, 02:30 AM
Cheerful Cherubi Offline
Photosynthesis with Viciousness

I'd love to join! Sign me up!!

Signature made by Foxamivalth!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintjelly View Post
May I join this group? I need some intellectual conversations with fellow atheists once in a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerful Cherubi View Post
I'd love to join! Sign me up!!
You guys are indefinitely able to join. And, just to be clear, I do not think that the ability to join this group should be solely reserved for atheists. I think any theistic person that is honestly curious in having a logical and fair debate should be welcome too.

So, I was thinking about presenting one of the more enjoyable debates for atheism. The subjectivity to morality. =D
Old 04-20-2012, 01:17 AM
mintjelly Offline
Father Cat

Send a message via AIM to mintjelly Send a message via Skype™ to mintjelly

Who needs morality? Morality is based on society, and society is stupid!

On an atheist note, what are the arguments you use to support your belief in no higher being?

One of the arguments I use mainly is that there can be no god, because in order for there to be one, they must be both omnipotent and omniscient.

Shun the non-believer
Old 04-20-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintjelly View Post
Who needs morality? Morality is based on society, and society is stupid!

On an atheist note, what are the arguments you use to support your belief in no higher being?

One of the arguments I use mainly is that there can be no god, because in order for there to be one, they must be both omnipotent and omniscient.
Morality is not stupid. It is an illusion, just as free will, but is a necessary illusion. Please take note that I stated it is an illusion, and not a delusion. Morality is a healthy evolutionary trait found in most group animals, and is based off of basic empathy. Though it differs from person to person because, as I stated, it is subjective.

Society can be stupid, because, like all human constructs, it is flawed. We must acknowledge, however, that any psychologically healthy person has a form of morality. That is why I roll my eyes whenever somebody claims they are amoral, and do not suffer from Psychopathy or Sociopathy (< not totally void of morality).
Old 04-29-2012, 03:17 AM
Phantom0990 Offline

You guys are in...

And no, only atheists can join. It's an atheist alliance. But as I said, theists are welcome to join in on discussions.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom0990 View Post
You guys are in...

And no, only atheists can join. It's an atheist alliance. But as I said, theists are welcome to join in on discussions.
You then get into a debate about what exactly defines an atheist. Are Pagans and Satanists allowed in? And, for technicality's sake, just about any person is an atheist in some way. You guys go one step further. I am Agnostic, am I to be kicked out of the group? What about deists? Pagans? Pantheists? Skeptics? Humanists? Secularists? Satanists? Or anyone who is free thinking or in between?

There are theists apart of the Atheist Alliance on any site, you can go and check. As a matter of fact, this guy on The Thinking Atheist is a theist (Southern Baptist) and he is the most liked person there.

If you let only people like "us" in the group, how can I say you are any different from any religion or church? The atheistic idea that religion is intolerant, but then cannot tolerate having theists join their groups is ironic. I invite any free thinkers in here. Accepting diversity is the first step in raising awareness for atheism, one of the most abused group in the world.

Now, back on topic. What are your opinions on morality?

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 05-02-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Phantom0990 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
You then get into a debate about what exactly defines an atheist. Are Pagans and Satanists allowed in? And, for technicality's sake, just about any person is an atheist in some way. You guys go one step further. I am Agnostic, am I to be kicked out of the group? What about deists? Pagans? Pantheists? Skeptics? Humanists? Secularists? Satanists? Or anyone who is free thinking or in between?

There are theists apart of the Atheist Alliance on any site, you can go and check. As a matter of fact, this guy on The Thinking Atheist is a theist (Southern Baptist) and he is the most liked person there.

If you let only people like "us" in the group, how can I say you are any different from any religion or church? The atheistic idea that religion is intolerant, but then cannot tolerate having theists join their groups is ironic. I invite any free thinkers in here. Accepting diversity is the first step in raising awareness for atheism, one of the most abused group in the world.

Now, back on topic. What are your opinions on morality?[/QUOTE]

Really? Do we need the sarcasm?

Then where do you draw the line? Besides, think rationally, it's not like we have theists banging on our door hoping to join, hell, it's not like we have ANYONE banging on our door to join.

It's like letting a vegetarian into a meat lovers club.

Not accepting theists or religious believers join is a matter of common sense, it's a club for atheists. This isn't like lgbt where you can be in if you're an 'ally'.

On the topic of agnosticism, it an atheism are so close to the same thing anyways.

On intolerance. I sort of said 'ouch' as I took that personal. How is it intolerance? I invited them to join the conversation, how is that intolerance?

I am keeping it as is, but I would request that this issue be closed.

On your morality question that you will not drop even though no one's answered.

What the hells about morality? It's a broad topic.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:03 AM
Lightning Pikachu Offline

Send a message via ICQ to Lightning Pikachu Send a message via AIM to Lightning Pikachu Send a message via MSN to Lightning Pikachu Send a message via Yahoo to Lightning Pikachu Send a message via Skype™ to Lightning Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon_Ron View Post
No problem, so don't attempt to try to get all 'cool' with me.

Just seems that your making this group as a shot at others, and disrespecting others religions. I'm all for freedom of speech and religion, but seems like you guys might be taking it too far with this group.

Before you start making assumptions, no I'm not Christian nor Atheist, I just Love Jesus, not religion
Don't think that religious belief has any more significance than something like your taste in music, it doesn't, and you can't provide one reason why religous belief should be respected - the only reason social standards like that exist is because some religious people have a hissy fit when they're told that their ingrained faith isn't going to take them to a shining oasis of niceness.

Therefor, creating this club has no more significance than a metal fanclub or a dubstep fanclub, it's for the people who like the subject matter, nothing else.

Seriously, don't 'respect' people's beliefes and don't be affraid to 'offend' them, just don't randomly insult them.

Sign me up.

EDIT: In responce to the da da da da da are they athiests? Atheism is the rejection of the idea in a diety, not in a a faith based beleif system. Also the church of satanism isn't a religous institution so forth, they don't actually beleive in satan, they just set a bunch of ideals much like the 10 commandments of how people should live their lives.
I'm sure some do believe in satan, however to believe in satan you preety much must believe in god - so people who are genuinely 'satan worshippers', are not athiests.

Last edited by Lightning Pikachu; 05-28-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:37 PM
squirtle1234 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megiddo Flame View Post
Count me in. I am living proof that there is no God!
me to, when it comes to religion i am the biggest contradiction there is, there are so many religions and people have a right to believe in what they like but I don't see how a god can exist when the world is frankly a mess, believing in something works for some people but i stand by the quote that need is not quite belief, sorry if I've depressed you :D
Old 06-03-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Really? Do we need the sarcasm?
Where was there sarcasm?

Quote:
Then where do you draw the line? Besides, think rationally, it's not like we have theists banging on our door hoping to join, hell, it's not like we have ANYONE banging on our door to join.
I am simply stating that we should remain open to just about anyone who wants to join.

Quote:
It's like letting a vegetarian into a meat lovers club.
There are not medians in between, there are no grey areas, there are two sides to eating.

Quote:
Not accepting theists or religious believers join is a matter of common sense, it's a club for atheists. This isn't like lgbt where you can be in if you're an 'ally'.
Right. Tell that to the thousands of Atheist Alliances with theists in the ranks.

Quote:
On the topic of agnosticism, it an atheism are so close to the same thing anyways.
Not at all.

Quote:
On intolerance. I sort of said 'ouch' as I took that personal. How is it intolerance? I invited them to join the conversation, how is that intolerance?
You are saying that they are not allowed in our click simply because of they do not think like us.

Quote:
I am keeping it as is, but I would request that this issue be closed.
I am sure.

Quote:
On your morality question that you will not drop even though no one's answered.

What the hells about morality? It's a broad topic.
What form of morality do you believe in, and what do you think about morality?

Two people have commented, and like you said yourself, it is not like people are flooding in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirtle1234 View Post
me to, when it comes to religion i am the biggest contradiction there is, there are so many religions and people have a right to believe in what they like but I don't see how a god can exist when the world is frankly a mess, believing in something works for some people but i stand by the quote that need is not quite belief, sorry if I've depressed you :D
I do hope you have a more sufficient reason for being an atheist.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Phantom0990 Offline

Sigh, I am tempted to open it up to everyone just to end this stupid argument. In fact. I will do just that. Theists can join. Happy?

On morality, you question is still HUGE and very hard to answer for me.

Quote:
What form of morality do you believe in, and what do you think about morality?
Frankly. I don't get it. Or maybe I am too tired and am reading it wrong. It's a very open ended question, which I find troubling to answer. It's just that I don't know what you're asking for. The more and more I try to weave it together the more I get confused.

I guess I'd say I don't believe in any form of morality, or anything really. I guess if I hold a moral code it'd be called, you know, State and Federal Laws. If I follow any rules it'd be:

Killing is usually a bad thing.
So is stealing.
And perjury/lying... sometimes.

That sort of thing. Deontological. Sort of.... not really.

Last edited by Phantom0990; 06-09-2012 at 12:44 AM.