Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: General Board

Pokemon: General Board General discussion about Pokemon in general. If the topic of your thread does not fall into the subjects in the other boards, post it there. In other words, everything else belongs here if it doesn't have a board of its own.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:33 PM
WebMaster Offline
BEAST MODE!!!!!!

Send a message via AIM to WebMaster
Default Toughest change?

Each gen introduced some new things. 1 was the beginning, 2 put in Special Attack and Special Defense, 3 gave us abilities, 4 split physical and special based on move, 5 gave us triple battles, and that' s not even scratching the surface of how much Pokemon has changed over the gens. Bottom line, each gen had some new things to get used to, but which one was the hardest change to make?

For me, it was Gen I to Gen II cause II introduced moves like protect and weather conditions.
AIM: WebDragoon1337
Old 07-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Default Re: Toughest change?

Gen five introduced a new system for gaining experience when battling wild pokemon. That made the game so much harder because level grinding took forever!

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Old 07-05-2012, 12:04 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

Gen 5 - Triple Battles.

Might be because Black only has like, two of them in the entire game, but...Yeah >.< I hate not being able to switch where my Pokemon are.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:36 AM
iApollo Offline

I'd have to say that the most confusing change they've done was when they made the Special/Physical split be by move and not by type.

I was so familiar with which types were whatever kind of attacks, that the new split completely threw me off.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:38 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Hmm I have two. xD

First off, agree with Judge Dredd. I really hate the new experience system and to make matters worse, they didn't even give us a VS Seeker! D:

I thought the physical/special split was one of the biggest changes as it completely altered how useful each Pokemon was. Looking back, I think it was definitely a good change. It's nice that most Pokemon have a chance to be more useful now.

I actually think gen 5 has introduced the least changes since the beginning. Not just graphics-wise but mechanics as well.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:38 AM
Obliveon Offline

Rotation Battles in Gen 5.

Sure you can decide which of the 3 to rotate, but so can your opponent. Make one wrong rotation and the whole battle could go one-sided.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:20 PM
goldwynaut Offline

the new effort value system is so sad, it can give pokemon unnatural powers, thats not how its supposed to be

and triple battles, just being able to battle with half your party at the same time is just awesome!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:50 AM
Charizard Michelle Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charizard Michelle

I would have to say that the toughest change was the Special/Physical Split. We were already accustomed to at least six games where you were thinking Fire was Special and Dark was Physical. Now you had to think also think about "Will this attack does good on this Pokemon?". The pokemon in question may get STAB for the attack but it's Attack power too pitiful to actually do anything with that attack. Then, while some pokemon benefited from the split, others did not.

Currently I am playing though FR and thinking about attacks in how they are now but only just a few days ago I realized that the game was made before the split and having a hard time thinking of the attacks as they were.

Gen 5 didn't really add anything to the battle scene similar to the previous generations. Triple/Rotation battles are interesting but there isn't many people who actually battle like that. Even in the games, they are rarely used (Speaking of only BW. I haven't researched into BW2 on that aspect.) While, it has become harder to level up due to the new mechanics, all of that is negated once you receive the once hard to acquire Lucky Egg. The face of battle didn't really change that much with this generation which is kind of disappointing. Still, maybe it best that it didn't. Why change something if it is not broken.

I need to find a new girl-on-girl animation.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Phantasm.Angel Offline

Send a message via AIM to Phantasm.Angel

I'm going to jump on the special/physical split bandwagon, if only because I spent most of Diamond wondering my Kadabra's Psycho Cut was doing such little damage.

paired with the marvelous Eternal Moonlight, creator of the above
Old 07-31-2012, 05:11 AM
Machampion Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Machampion Send a message via Yahoo to Machampion Send a message via Skype™ to Machampion

I have to say rotation battles, dunno how to do them, dun want to.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:44 AM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

Being so used to Generation II about 10-11 years ago, the toughest change for me was Generation III. The abilities of Pokemon really screwed me up, especially because of abilities like Volt Absorb and Flash Fire. I'd say Levitate was the worst, because a lot of the time Earthquake missed, and I was never sure why.

Abilities such as Blaze and Torrent threw me off because I had no clue what "In a pinch" meant. Essentially, I thought they were useless. I finally found out what it meant about 7 years later in HG/SS. XDD

Going backwards however, playing Generation I was so difficult for me because the attacks weren't separated like in Gen. II, and I was beyond confused. I had to get my dad to help me with Gen. I most of the time.

Also with Gen II to Gen III, a new IV system and EV caps with natures was pretty confusing to me as well. Beneficial changes if you understood them, yes, but however I was only 5 years old when I had gotten Ruby. I had Gold when I was 3, but it was easier to me than Ruby and Sapphire two years later for some reason.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Dandin Offline

Gen 3.
Not a mayor problem but now there is speed Deoxys.

That makes DNA (Defense, Normal and Attack) a messed up DNAS (added Speed)

Don't they have feelings for the aliens :(
Response:

Awesome avatar by 5TailedDemonLizard!!!

Click this cute Egg cuz it needs your love! (also give love to his friends!)

VPP:
Larvesta@46
Hatch: 61
Volcarona: 223
Level100: 346
Old 08-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Swampert Guy Offline

I think it was the physical and special split in Generation IV.