Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga

Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga Talk about the Pokemon anime, movies and manga. NOTE: It's possible that there may be discussions in here that may spoil something for you if you haven't seen that episode/movie/manga before. Please use the spoiler code when appropriate.

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Digital Offline
Cyber Soldier

Send a message via AIM to Digital
Default Temporary Best Wishes Review Section

This is a temporary place to put your reviews, just have a post per review, starting from Episode 1 down.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Digital; 05-22-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Digital Offline
Cyber Soldier

Default Re: Temporary Best Wishes Review Section

Episode 1 and 2 - Double Hour Episode
Old 05-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Digital Offline
Cyber Soldier

Default Weekly Anime: Black & White - Episode 3

Find out how Ash managed to save Axew and Pikachu from the raging Sandile's, in A Sandile Gusher of Change

Summary

Ash and Iris discover that Oshawott from Professor Juniper’s lab has been following them. It was then decided that Oshawott would join Ash on his journey.

Ash and Iris discover that a group of Sandiles have been terrorizing a resort. Together they later save a group of pokemon from several geysers that were about to go off.

Thoughts

Plot

The plot is a typical filler episode plot where Ash and friends meets some stranger with a dilemma as they travel. The stranger in this episode was Dan and the problem was the Sandile who were terrorizing the resort. Turns out that the Sandiles were trying to warn the people and pokemon that there were some geysers that were set to go off soon. Which makes sense considering that Sandile is a ground type pokemon so I guess these guys should be able to tell changes happening in the earth.

What made this episode feel bad was the execution of the solution. This episode was mostly fine until we hit towards the end of the episode. The first part that made me shake my head was when Team Rocket came and used a magnet to lift up the Sandile that was holding Pikachu and Oshawott.

Can you say lazy writers and/or artist?

When were Sandile’s part steel or had metal in them? Is that some sort of special crane? How was that crane able to pick up Sandile? Not much is needed for a Pokemon episode to make sense but wouldn’t it have worked to just draw a claw on the crane instead of some sort of magnet?

Then there is the whole Pokemon on the rock surrounded by boiling water. That says to me that this episode decided to just throw away logic. I am perfectly fine with the Sandiles doing the whole bridge thing to create a path but the pidoves are another story. Why couldn’t the pidoves just fly away instead of just standing on the rock waiting for help that they didn’t need.

The worse part was that they flew away later. It just felt like lazy writing and I wish the writers would have used a different Pokemon or added more deerlings and partrats. I did found the Sandile bridge strange but I learned to accept things like that but the pidove was another thing.

Oshawott

Enough bad things, time for some good things. Oshawott is clearly a tool to make money. Slap his face on a candy wrapper and it will sell millions in Japan. Knowing that, I think the little otter is growing on me. It’s the voice. The Pokemon Company International made sure to give Oshawotta a cute voice and it works because I like the guy for that sole reason.

I would hate him but the guy’s voice is killing me. When Oshawott appeared in the middle of Ash’s and Iris’s argument and then just smiled and said ‘hello’ I just had to smile. Then later on, when we see Oshawott chilling in the hot sand with his shell on his head., it was so cute! Haha. Same thing when we saw him floating in the water at the end of the episode. Haha

Also Pikachu talking pika-speak…love it. I wish we could hear Pikachu talking pika-speak more often.

Final Thoughts

Overall this episode would be average if it weren’t for the second half. Normal filler episodes tend to be decent but this one just felt mediocre due to what I consider lazy writing and/or animation.

Rating:

Written By: Mikey
Old 05-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Digital Offline
Cyber Soldier

Default Weekly Anime: Black & White - Episode 4

A mysterious rare creature has been spotted around the Don George Facilities, find out what happens in, The Battle Club and Tepig's Choice

Summary

Ash and Iris arrive in the city that is close by to Striaton City.

In order to satisfy his itch to battle, Ash heads over to the Pokemon Battling Club.

A mysterious pokemon seems to have been causing trouble for the Pokemon Battling Club. The pokemon turns out to be a Tepig. After a tussle with Team Rocket, Ash decides to capture Tepig.

Thoughts

Ash and Iris

So we hit another city on the way to Ash’s (and Iris’s) journey to Striaton City. The episode overall was pretty okay and much better compare to last week’s episode. Ash is doing what Ash does best which is battling and being Ash. If anything Ash got some major points in this episode as we saw he used the Pokedex to looking up a pokemon. That is new since I don’t think we ever seen Ash look up a pokemon much less recognize a pokemon on his own. It did turn out that the pokemon Ash thought was wrong but can’t blame the kid for trying much less trying to figure out the pokemon on his own. I hope to see more of these scenes coming from Ash later on in the future.

Iris is getting on my nerves but I don’t think this week is the week where I get to go full on out on why she is getting on my nerves. Next week I think will be more fitting but for now I just say she seems to be very bratty. (Can’t wait til another person joins the traveling party.)

Plot

The plot was mostly okay. I have no real complaints and as I mention before was better then last week’s episode. The writers seem to have pulled out a bit more work in creating this episode since we got some nice gags. The best ones to mention was the boxes and wash pan falling on Pikachu and Oshawott realizing that he doesn’t want to battle against Dewott. Both moments were funny to watch and kind of made up for the fact that it was Oshawott’s fault that Pikachu was captured by Team Rocket. Please note that you can see Oshawott sleeping when Team Rocket discovered Pikachu under the box.

Tepig

There isn’t really much to say concerning Tepig. I feel bad for being abandon by it’s trainer but I can’t really feel anything for it. We got this story played out three times already (see Charmander, Cyndaquil and Chimchar). If anything I just hope that we one day see Tepig’s original trainer later on in the series but I doubt that. Still one can hope.

Final Thoughts

Overall this was an okay episode. Pikachu and Oshawott seems to be a good comedy duo while Tepig seems to be a nice clean slate. I can’t wait to see what this little piggy brings to the table. Iris….for another review. Can’t wait for next week where we get a gym battle.

Rating:

Old 05-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Digital Offline
Cyber Soldier

Default Weekly Anime: Black & White - Episode 5

Ash's first gym battle in Unova, find out how he did in, Triple Leaders, Team Threats

Summary

Ash and Iris finally arrive to Striaton City to challenge the Striaton City Gym.

Ash challenge the Striaton Gym Leader Trio: Chili, Cilan, and Cress. Ash is sucessful in knocking out Chili’s Pansear using Tepig and loses against Cress’s Panpour. The episode ends on a cliffhanger with Oshawott facing off Cilan’s Pansage.

Thoughts

There are two things that I appropriate seeing, maids and butlers. Maid outfits are just so cute and butlers….well let say that I am a lady that appreciate a man in uniform. haha I been waiting for this episode for a good while and it was very satisfying. Some funny moments too in the beginning of the episode such as Cilan getting so worked up for seeing a pikachu and Ash’s reaction to Chili, Cilan and Cress’s antics. The girls that were there for the Butler Cafe were just an icing on the cake as they watched. You know they are only there for the eye candy.

Ash and Iris Characters

How we got to the three on three battle was interesting since in the games this is actually a one trainer against one trainer battle. Got to love Ash’s enthusiasm throughout this whole battle since it was the reason why we got to see all three battles against the primate trio. His enthusiasm was strong throughout this whole episode and usually I don’t like it when Ash acts like a little kid (like he has for most of Black and White so far) but here it was fun. Ash had a complete legit reason for being excited since this was his first battle within the Unova region.

Speaking about ‘little kid’, I thought Iris was going to be more of a pain in the butt then usual saying things like ‘Ash is such a novice’ and junk like that but surprising it was very limiting. I was going to spend a bit ranting about her but instead it looks like that will have to wait for another week. (Is it becoming clear that I don’t like Iris?)

The Gym Battle

The battle itself was interesting indeed. There was clearly a difference in power between Tepig and Pansear but it was played out to where once Tepig was able to catch Pansear off guard then the little pig wasn’t going to let go. Also I really got a laugh out when Tepig grabbed Pansear by the tail and began to spin him. haha That was funny.

Pikachu and Panpour…yeah…Pikachu should have won and blah blah blah like most people would say. To tell the truth I don’t care about any of Pikachu battles until we get to around the fifth or so gym. It be boring if Pikachu knocks out the other pokemon with just a simple Thunderbolt so of course he will have to lose a few times. Just glad that they made it interesting with Panpour aiming at Pikachu’s feet and such since those are strategies that I don’t think we seen. Makes you wonder why nobody has ever done that before.

The battle between Pansage and Oshawott. Well…..Oshawott gave us a few laughs and how it was all bark and no talk but this battle is far from over. The little otter looks like it was getting better as the battle moves on but apparently Cilan and Pansage had only just begun. If anything Oshawott is very animated especially with his reaction at the end of the battle as Solarbeam was coming his way. The next episode should be interesting. How will Oshawott get out of this one?

Final Thoughts

Overall a good episode. Lots of laughter which is a great way to get into my heart. (Also having less Iris is good in my book.)

Rating:

Old 05-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Digital Offline
Cyber Soldier

Default Weekly Anime: Black & White - Episode 6

Does Ash finally win the battle against Cilian and his Pansage? Find out in, Dreams by the Yard Full

Summary

Ash’s Oshawott defeats Cilan’s Pansage thus allowing Ash to receive the Trio Badge.

Jessie, James and Meowth head over to the Dreamyard and use some sort of device that emits hidden energy from the Dreamyard’s past experiments.

The Dream Mist places the Pokemon of Striaton City to sleep. Ash, Cilan, Iris, Officer Jenny and Fennel head over to the Dreamyard to investigate.

After a battle and Team Rocket’s attempt to capture Musharna, the Dream Mist was stopped. Team Rocket escapes.

Ash decides to heads over to the Nacrene City Gym with Cilan and Iris as his travelling companions.

Thoughts

Anime vs Game

Hmm… It is a battle like this that shows the difference between the anime and the video games. Oshawott’s use of his shell to deflect Pansage’s Solar Beam would have never worked in the games. We would have had a fainted Oshawott and Ash having to rechallenge the gym leader trio if we were playing by the rules of the video games.

Then again this is the anime and things like this can happen.

On the other hand, I have been watching this anime long enough to know that bubbles can create fiery explosions so I don’t care too much. It could have been worse.

Gym Battle: Part 2

This episode did showcase some of the reasons why I enjoy watching Ash battle. The kid comes up with some interesting ways to turn the tide in his favor. The whole ‘Aim your Water Gun to the wall’ thing was proof of this. That and the shell shield technique helped Ash win in the signature style he’s known for since Johto.

Then we have Cilan. I can tell that this guy is going to be a mixed bag. He is clearly going to be Brock’s replacement. He is very knowledgeable about Pokemon and being a butler he surely knows how to cook. I like the fact that he is a butler, but these cooking and food references in his speech are tiring to hear throughout the episode. I commend Pokemon Company International for being creative in their writing to fit in so many references but I am not sure I will be able to stomach them for the entire Unova saga.

I did laugh at the scene between Ash and Cilan where he was bombarding Ash with all those questions about how he is able to bring out the ‘flavor’ of his Pokemon. That was funny to watch as I already knew that Ash would have no idea how to respond to them. That is something that Ash has never thought about and we know that he does what he does based on instinct.

Dreamyard

We now move to the action part of this episode with Fennel. I am glad that this episode featured the Dreamyard and that Team Rocket is doing something compared with doing nothing last episode.

I just am disappointed for two reasons with the writers. First, we hear nothing about Fennel’s relationship with Professor Juniper. It was only a passing line in the video games, but I felt like it was worth mentioning here in the anime.

The second thing that gets me is that this episode would have been a good way to introduce Team Plasma. In the video games, the Dreamyard was where the player was introduce to Team Plasma as a villainous team. We see them kicking a munna which is a clear sign of how bad these guys can be. Instead they are replaced by Team Rocket.

It irks me that the writers decided to just use this arc as a way for Team Rocket to do something. I would have totally settle for a Team Plasma member watching from afar and noting Team Rocket’s presence in Unova or something. That would have at least set up for a Team Rocket and Team Plasma confrontation. Instead another ball dropped by the writers.

The whole Team Rocket thing felt decent. It wasn’t super great but it was good. It introduced Fennel and created some sort of back story for the Dreamyard that the games didn’t have. Musharna standing straight up with it’s eyes open creeps the heck out of me and I would prefer it if the pokemon was curled up like how we see it in the games because I never want to see that pokemon awake ever again. Those eyes creep the heck out of me.

Iris

Now time to complain about Iris before moving on. This chick is going to grind my gears if she keeps acting like some sort of know-it-all. The girl acts all high and mighty yet she has shown no bite for her bark. Like the way she calls Ash a kid when in reality she looks to be a few years younger then Ash (which I thought was impossible based on Ash’s appearance.) Kind of annoying and I really hope that her ‘bark’ will be explained one day. They picked the right English voice actress for her character, as she projects the bratty, little kid intonation quite well. Iris isn’t my favorite out of Ash’s current traveling companions.

Still this is going to be our Unova team. We have Ash wanting to conquer the Unova League. Cilan wanting to become the best Pokemon Connoisseur. Finally we have Iris wanting to be…umm….a better person? Haha (personally I don’t care but I think it has something to do with being a gym leader based on Pokemon White). This interesting team will hopefully inspire well-written situations for future episodes.

Final Thoughts

Overall, this episode was okay and I applaud TPCI for trying hard and tying some events within the game nicely. I feel that my rating for this episode is a bit generous but whatever… It was a good episode.

Rating:

Closed Thread