Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Art Boards » Sprite Art

Sprite Art For both Pokemon and non-Pokemon related sprite art.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:04 AM
Foxamivalth Offline

Send a message via MSN to Foxamivalth
Default Re: [WAR XI] Sprite Art

Name: Foxamivalth
WAR Team: AWESOME
Submission:
Link to submission: Click

Banner by Pokemon Trainer Sarah
Old 06-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Dino Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Dino

Name: Dino
WAR Team: Awesome
Submission:
Link to submission:~

lv.100@1618
Links

Old 06-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Frost Dragon Offline

Name: Frost Dragon
War Team: The Not-So-Super Friends
Entry:
Link to submission: http://oi50.tinypic.com/28gs4k7.jpg
For the record, my friends would get the reference. You wouldn't, so don't worry about it.

Lucario@312
Hatch: 327
Lucario: 432
Level100: 612
Old 06-30-2012, 04:12 AM
Sight of the Stars Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sight of the Stars Send a message via Skype™ to Sight of the Stars

In other news, Sight of the Stars was too busy working on her creative writing entry to get this done.

That's nothing new.

I'll be back next week to make an attempt to quit procrastinating. XD
[12:38:59 AM] GallantlyGlaceon: ...So how do we do this? XD
[12:39:20 AM] Sight of the Stars: it's nothing really big, just usually a note in your sig that's all like 'paired with soandso'
[12:39:44 AM] Sight of the Stars: just be like "SIGHT OF THE STARZ IS MAH BIZNITCH"
[12:39:57 AM] GallantlyGlaceon: XDDD
[12:39:59 AM] Sight of the Stars: and I'll be like "GALLANTLYGLACEON IS MAH HOE."
Old 06-30-2012, 04:35 PM
XaiakuX Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to XaiakuX Send a message via MSN to XaiakuX Send a message via Yahoo to XaiakuX Send a message via Skype™ to XaiakuX

Alrighty, well, No more entries are to be submitted until Monday when the next contest starts. Because it starts Monday, that means roll on through Saturday, and end Saturday night, as opposed to ending on Friday night. This will happen from now on, so get used to it, unless my bosses change it again. In which case, deal with it, because you'll still have 5 days to make a sprite. =P

I will now begin judging your sprites.

.|.[Linkage].|.[-.Norse God of Chaos.-].|.Best in the World.|.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:27 PM
XaiakuX Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to XaiakuX Send a message via MSN to XaiakuX Send a message via Yahoo to XaiakuX Send a message via Skype™ to XaiakuX

War XI
Sprite Art

Week I
Results!
Pre-judge Note:
I just want to say that I saw a few of you pulling out some crazy and unneeded tactics in order to win. This contest was meant to be very easy, and very simple. Change the colors of the sprite, that's it. I was depending on this week to full of wondrous color pallets and amazing sprites that looked the same physically, but had totally different and original colors that I had never seen before. I got amazing sprites, but I didn't get what I wanted. I expected to have a hard time deciding a winner with all the near-perfect scores that I'd have just handed out. I'm kinda disappointed. I am not going to go easy on you, especially if you're new. But I will help you get better, if I feel you need the help. I won't hold your hand, I'll tell you what I believe you should do, and hope that you do better, next time. Everything I judge will have an explanation as to why I judged your piece the way that I did. There will be no biased, evident in this week's judging. With this said, scroll down to see your results, and expect the unexpected.

--

Name: Cheerful Cherubi
WAR Team: Obscurity

Neatness: 10/10
Originality: 5/10
Outlines: 8/10
Shading: 8/10
Relevance: 10/10
Total: 41/50
Normal recolor is normal. It was kinda bland, but it kept to the theme, which was kinda the point to begin with. While I admire and respect the homage to the Batman, Crobat and Golbat are not Batman. What I like seeing, and any judge likes to see is an original pallet, something unique, and never been done before. So, your originality suffered. Still you followed everything down to the bar, and you got a good score for it. Kudos.

--

Name: 5TailedDemonLizard
WAR Team: Revolution Uprising

Originality: 9/10
Relevance: 8/10
Total: 43/50
As I personally don't consider these patterns any form of recoloring, apparently it is. Sure, you changed the colors, but when you added an actual biome to Drowzee's body you turned it into something completely different. However, I will judge it as it is meant to be. The lines I feel could have had less black around the belly and its left arm (the one not poking out from behind the head). There is also but one alternative shade for the top of Drowzee, which is like, Pokemon yellow style shading, while the bottom is chaotic and undetermined, as sand usually is. While I'm aware that it's the natural shading of Drowzee, which is sad, you probably could have used a different Pokemon, or maybe could have added more depth to the shading. All the same, it still looks pretty.

--

Name: 2gamers
WAR Team: Park Lords

Originality: 10/10
Outlines: 10/10
Shading: 9/10
Relevance: 8/10
Total: 47/50
My only issue with this is the very thing you worked the hardest on, while really like it, it left me puzzled and looking at it a few times to determine the placement of the skirt itself. See, if the checkers weren't perfectly placed together, basically ignoring the dynamics of the skirt, but flowing with the frills and waves in the skirt, I would have made it all 10s, I'm certain of this. However, I still adore this, because other than the skirt, it is a perfect recolor, it's neat, it's original, the lines look great, and the shading is fine, minus the difficulty I had determining it on the skirt.

--

Name: Lisa Lynn
WAR Team: Awesome!

Neatness: 8/10
Originality: 7/10
Outlines: 7/10
Shading: 10/10
Total: 42/50
While I sit and wait for my eyes to recover, it's a good thing I can type without looking at the keyboard. First off, well done. Let me explain something before I say anything else. Think about a music judge, American Idol or something. When a judge hears a genre he doesn't like, he's not allowed to knock of points because he doesn't like the genre, if the contestant doing that genre right, and it sounds like the music that he so evidently dislikes, he has to give them high marks. That's what I've done here. Granted, it's not very original, and it hurts my eyes to look at it, but it IS a recolor. It is based on the colors of 3D anaglyph, but is not 3D anaglyph. You've done good, here. Kudos.

--

Name: White Knight

Neatness: 8/10
Originality: 7/10
Shading: 7/10
Total: 40/50
I have come to the conclusions the shading for B/W and B/W2 are just the worst. It's so bland and unappealing and it makes me sad. So your score for that section isn't your fault. You still got a pretty good score, because it was a recolor, and nothing extra or over-the-top like some of your fellow contestants. Good work.

--

Name: Etymology

Originality: 8/10
Outlines: 9/10
Relevance: 0/10
Total: 37/50
A type change? Is that what you've done here? I shouldn't even accept this. I shouldn't have judged it. Dude, seriously? I mean it's a good sprite, and I'm sure your intentions were pure. But it's not a recolor, it's a type change. You turned a Poison Pokemon into a Fire Pokemon. If it were a type change contest, you'd get some really high marks. But, it's not that. I'm kinda sad about this, because this is really good.

--

Name: Velocity

Neatness: 7/10
Originality: 6/10
Outlines: 6/10
Shading: 9/10
Relevance: 7/10
Total: 35/50
This one in particular was posted after a very similar sprite (pattern related, and it was on the same team, so I don't know how to take that) was posted, so the originality took a blow. It's also very dark, and difficult to see anything going on. There's a whole lot of black going on in this sprite's outlines, that's pretty bad, even with a sprite this dark, you could have gone without black lines in a lot of places. The pattern on the face is very chaotic, and it's difficult do make out out what's going. Props for creativity, which I should have probably made a category, but I didn't. It's pretty as a whole, but kinda all over the place.

--

Neatness: 7/10
Total: 38/50
Fox, buddy. Your sprite just doesn't have that WOW factor that I'm lookin' for. It's so plain. That's the best way to describe it. I need originality, and I've seen stuff like this a billion times. I do like that you kept it relevant, and the shading is perfect. But the color is dreadful, on top of that it's all one color. There's so much more you could have done with this, and it's like you didn't on purpose. I grant you that it's different from all the other submissions, but I know you're better than this. C'mon bud, pick it up.

--

Name: Dino

Neatness: 6/10
Originality: 8/10
Total: 40/50
Oh look, an animation. If you thought it would get you more points, that would be a silly thought. In fact, because of the animation, I had to judge every single frame, and that annoyed me. On a couple frames, I saw pixels placed sporadically on the arms and outlines while they moved, even if it was on the original sprite, you could have changed it to look smoother and cleaner. So, I deducted points from that, stray pixels also take away from the neatness of the sprite and the animation.

--

Name: Frost Dragon
War Team: The Not-So-Super Friends

Neatness: 5/10
Relevance: 9/10
Total: 33/50
I don't want to know the reference, or why you colored it this way. I want it to look good, I want it to WOW me. I want to look at a sprite and I want to be like, "this is awesome, let me show it to all of my friends." Your sprite, I don't want to show it off. Why? Because it's just as plain as Foxamivalth's submission. It's an MS Paint pallet colored sprite. That means you used shade from the standard pallet given to you on MS Paint, rather than trying to come up with your own. So you lose points on originality. The only thing this tells me is that you're either a beginner, or you're not even trying, which won't get you anywhere. The antennae and claws are practically solid blue, there's no actual shade or appeal to them. When working with blue, especially that tone, you have to get a little more sporadic with the brightness of the shade so it pops out a little more than normal. Widen your range of shading, so that it looks better. There is also SO MUCH black line happening in this sprite, all of this a big no-no, these are things that you need to work on. I'm not insulting your sprite, I'm merely saying you should work and become better than where you are now.

--

Winners!
War XI
Sprite Art
Week I

1st Place

Name: 2gamers
WAR Team: Park Lords
Total: 47/50

2nd Place

Name: 5TailedDemonLizard
Total: 43/50

3rd Place

Name: Lisa Lynn
Total: 42/50

--

With that, I say congratulations to the winners, and better luck next time for those who didn't win. I can honestly say that these could have been better. There wasn't a single perfect score, but this is only the first week. You've probably already noticed how very nit-picky I am over certain things, if you have any concerns as to how I judged your sprite, PM me, and I will clarify any confusion. So if I haven't scared you off, I'll see you for Week II.

Last edited by XaiakuX; 06-30-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Cheerful Cherubi Offline
Photosynthesis with Viciousness

That seems fair. I played it safe, and my score reflected that. I'll definitely be more daring next week! :)

Signature made by Foxamivalth!
Old 07-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Frost Dragon Offline

You know what? I needed that. I'm disappointed by the last place, but I've wanted some criticism for ages. So thanks.

Lucario@312
Hatch: 327
Lucario: 432
Level100: 612
Old 07-02-2012, 05:39 PM
lisa lynn Offline

My first war, my first war point! :P

When will the second theme be announced?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:17 PM
XaiakuX Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Right now!

This weeks challenge is a bit of a mouth full:

"Edit a Non-Pokemon Sprite and Make it Look Like a Pokemon or Trainer."

and it is literally that. You have you edit a sprite from another game (not a custom sprite that someone made.) And make it look like a Pokemon or a Trainer. You cannot use parts from the game sprites, but you may use their color pallets if you desire. Remember that I look for originality, so keep to your own creativity as possible. I look forward to seeing your results!

Old 07-02-2012, 07:48 PM
3m0d0ll Offline

Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll
Angry Re: [WAR XI] Sprite Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3m0d0ll View Post

Recolor a Pokemon's BW sprite with a color pallet you created. Include the pallet in the image of your submission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XaiakuX View Post

Recolor
---
Simple, find any sprite, change the colors of it, be sure to include the original image with it, so I can notice the differences. Best recolor wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3m0d0ll View Post

Fuse together a Pokemon sprite and a non-Pokemon sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XaiakuX View Post
"Edit a Non-Pokemon Sprite and Make it Look Like a Pokemon or Trainer."
Okay, Mr. Idea Copier. >:(
Old 07-03-2012, 05:38 AM
Cheerful Cherubi Offline
Photosynthesis with Viciousness

Name: Cheerful Cherubi
Submission:
Link: Here!

Koffing and Kirby should NEVER breed. EVER.

Signature made by Foxamivalth!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Foxamivalth Offline

Send a message via MSN to Foxamivalth

WAR Team: AWESOME!
Submission:
Link: Click!

Banner by Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Last edited by Foxamivalth; 07-07-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Velocity Offline
ASB Official

Okay, my beaten-to-the-punchiness is getting a little silly. If I was to use a sprite from Kirby that isn't Kirby himself as a base, would I get points knocked off because Cherubi used a Kirby sprite as well?

Thanks, Speed and Dino and also Speed! :D
Old 07-03-2012, 04:34 PM
White Knight Offline

I started with a really good one then it got le deleted. :C

Name: White Knight
WAR Team: Team Obscurity
Submission:
Link: aqui

Thanks Pokemon Trainer Sarah!
ASB|VPP