Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: General Board

Pokemon: General Board General discussion about Pokemon in general. If the topic of your thread does not fall into the subjects in the other boards, post it there. In other words, everything else belongs here if it doesn't have a board of its own.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Elite Dialga Offline

Angry Too Old for Pokemon? :/

Guys this has probably been discussed many times before, but I have something that bothers me, recently a friend of mine has been trying to get my mind "off" Pokemon thinking I am too old for it, I am 22, and I totally don't think that way, people who don't know what Pokemon is all about shouldn't really behave the way some do for others, I can name several reasons why this "You are too old blah blah" statement is BS, the reason I'm posting this is because I want your motivation, I don't want to leave my Pokemon and I never will! Thanks

Last edited by Elite Dialga; 08-21-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:43 PM
goldwynaut Offline

Default Re: Too Old for Pokemon? :/

one does not simply get too old for pokemon
Old 08-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Winter Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Winter

Better games than some of the crap people are addicted to nowdays. It's got more plot and stategy than Farmville, and it's something a whole family can play and get into, as opposed to all the shooters and crap people play these days. Parents can share Pokemon with their kids and turn it into a fun experience for everyone, and while my parents don't play Pokemon, I certainly enjoy playing Pokemon with my brother and sisters. It's nice that we can all play something together and help each other out by sharing pokemon and finding out cool things about the game. It's certainly better (at least I feel) than playing something like Halo or Call of Duty or whatever and trying to kill each other. Honestly, I shake my head every time my ten year-old brother says something like "I love Halo! Killing stuff is awesome!" Let the kids grow up to love cute but powerful animals with freakish powers and share it with their kids rather than guns and killing people.

Banner by me! | My dA | My FF.Net
Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 PM
CM Offline
Dungeon Master

Send a message via AIM to CM

I agree with Winter completely. Pokemon is my personal addiction (along with most RPG games), which is a lot better than drugs, alcohol, or some of the ridiculous Facebook games people play and waist money on (I know, I used to be like that until I realized just how much money they really take). I have made the decision that if I should ever raise kids I will raise them on Pokemon. I feel it is a great learning tool as I got older. I didn't realize it at the time, of course. It was just so much fun to play. And I have great friends because of the franchise. I will admit that the anime isn't as great as it used to be, but the games keep getting better and better with story and graphics. It has also, for me, been a great inspiration for my art and writing.

I'm in the same boat as you, Elite Dialga. My father wants me to "grow up" and forget about Pokemon and cartoons. But I simply can't. Some of my friends may have grown out of it, but I still have everyone on here and two RL friends who all love it. And we're all supposedly "too old" for Pokemon. There is no age limit on it. My grandmother supported me in it when my father started to say I was getting to old, and I'm sure that given the chance she'd still watch the show with me (we live in different states now). And I see no harm in it like some of the games I'm seeing parents let their young children play, like Halo and Call of Duty. And I'm seeing how it is affecting the child. It a lot different than when I was their age (making myself feel old again). When I was in elementary school we were trading the cards in between classes. It changed as I changed schools and went up in grades. Luckily in high school I found some people I became friends with that still liked the games and we could play together, trading and battling. Now it seems like first-person shooters and zombie games are taking over, which is a sad thing.

I really didn't mean to go off like that, but when I started typing I couldn't stop. As I said, I don't think there is an age limit to Pokemon and I see many benefits coming from it. I will never give it up since it's been a major part of my creative life, and I don't plan on losing that. If something makes you happy and isn't bad for you, why give it up?

Lv100 @ 7896
~Links~
Old 08-21-2012, 09:52 PM
brandon_g Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to brandon_g Send a message via Skype™ to brandon_g

I think the people who think there is a age limit are just thinking "Some dumb animals with spiecal powers that fight each is so childish" without even playing pokemon and seeing how addictive it really is. I probably was addicted to pokemon for 10 hours when I first picked it up. Pokemon is my call of duty. And honsetly its less killing. Pokemon never uses the word "die" it just says "your pokemon FAINTED" much better for a kid. Pokemon is funfor ALL ages period.
I am Brandon, I have 1 goal as a pokemon trainer: To become the unbeatable unlike any other... I have already become the Champion of sinnoh... and am training currently in unova to beat the Champion their.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:57 PM
Elite Dialga Offline

Wink Re: Too Old for Pokemon? :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwynaut View Post

one does not simply get too old for pokemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Better games than some of the crap people are addicted to nowdays. It's got more plot and stategy than Farmville, and it's something a whole family can play and get into, as opposed to all the shooters and crap people play these days. Parents can share Pokemon with their kids and turn it into a fun experience for everyone, and while my parents don't play Pokemon, I certainly enjoy playing Pokemon with my brother and sisters. It's nice that we can all play something together and help each other out by sharing pokemon and finding out cool things about the game. It's certainly better (at least I feel) than playing something like Halo or Call of Duty or whatever and trying to kill each other. Honestly, I shake my head every time my ten year-old brother says something like "I love Halo! Killing stuff is awesome!" Let the kids grow up to love cute but powerful animals with freakish powers and share it with their kids rather than guns and killing people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM View Post
I agree with Winter completely. Pokemon is my personal addiction (along with most RPG games), which is a lot better than drugs, alcohol, or some of the ridiculous Facebook games people play and waist money on (I know, I used to be like that until I realized just how much money they really take). I have made the decision that if I should ever raise kids I will raise them on Pokemon. I feel it is a great learning tool as I got older. I didn't realize it at the time, of course. It was just so much fun to play. And I have great friends because of the franchise. I will admit that the anime isn't as great as it used to be, but the games keep getting better and better with story and graphics. It has also, for me, been a great inspiration for my art and writing.

I'm in the same boat as you, Elite Dialga. My father wants me to "grow up" and forget about Pokemon and cartoons. But I simply can't. Some of my friends may have grown out of it, but I still have everyone on here and two RL friends who all love it. And we're all supposedly "too old" for Pokemon. There is no age limit on it. My grandmother supported me in it when my father started to say I was getting to old, and I'm sure that given the chance she'd still watch the show with me (we live in different states now). And I see no harm in it like some of the games I'm seeing parents let their young children play, like Halo and Call of Duty. And I'm seeing how it is affecting the child. It a lot different than when I was their age (making myself feel old again). When I was in elementary school we were trading the cards in between classes. It changed as I changed schools and went up in grades. Luckily in high school I found some people I became friends with that still liked the games and we could play together, trading and battling. Now it seems like first-person shooters and zombie games are taking over, which is a sad thing.

I really didn't mean to go off like that, but when I started typing I couldn't stop. As I said, I don't think there is an age limit to Pokemon and I see many benefits coming from it. I will never give it up since it's been a major part of my creative life, and I don't plan on losing that. If something makes you happy and isn't bad for you, why give it up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon_g View Post
I think the people who think there is a age limit are just thinking "Some dumb animals with spiecal powers that fight each is so childish" without even playing pokemon and seeing how addictive it really is. I probably was addicted to pokemon for 10 hours when I first picked it up. Pokemon is my call of duty. And honsetly its less killing. Pokemon never uses the word "die" it just says "your pokemon FAINTED" much better for a kid. Pokemon is funfor ALL ages period.

Ok you guys, have officially made my day, Thanks a lot guys!

@goldwynaut That picture had a lot to do with making my day! Thanks! DX

@Winter/CM Guys, thanks a lot for sharing those experiences, I suddenly feel not lonely at all, I have been through so much I can narrate in these past 10 years, and I can confidently and proudly say that MY childhood was simply majestic and it was all due to Pokemon, sitting on my bed waiting for my cousins to arrive from afar, they arrive and my cousin hands me over his Gameboy pocket along with a Pokemon Blue version in it, I start playing and see Charmander as my very first Pokemon, and *poof* it shuts off after a while....what could've happened I only played for like 20mins? *4 Hours had passed, & the batteries died* ... uff those days, I was 12 then. Oh! and talkign about farmville, this is something I have observed quite a bit, people get addicted to games as simple as farmville, it is simply because of the fact that its an RPG and its that "keep growing & get better" factor that makes it so addicting for people, and the ironically when I compare it to the Pokemon RPGs, it is laughable, Pokemon games have a lot of mechanics (I even designed my own calculator in C# as some of you might know) & it is certainly NOT how they expect it to be, at least a sensible person would think about why so many people of age 20+ play it. About parents, well I guess I'm lucky in this area, my Parents actually don't mind Pokemon at all, I even got my dad to watch an episode with me once XD

That settles it, I'm gonna keep training and going ahead, some lame people who don't have a clue about what Pokemon are all about can do w/e they like. Pokemon were/are/will be the best thing that happened to me for ever, I can literally make me cry.

Thanks a lot guys! :}
Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 PM
CM Offline
Dungeon Master

Send a message via AIM to CM

I'm glad we were able to help. I think Pokemon has had a major part in the lives of almost, if not all, the members here. It also seems like in all cases it has been a positive one. Just remember that there is a community of 20+ Pokefans out there ready to support one another. Let's just shun the nonbelievers and keep the doing what we love, which is share the Pokemon love!

Lv100 @ 7896
~Links~
Old 08-22-2012, 02:09 AM
Elite Dialga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM View Post
I'm glad we were able to help. I think Pokemon has had a major part in the lives of almost, if not all, the members here. It also seems like in all cases it has been a positive one. Just remember that there is a community of 20+ Pokefans out there ready to support one another. Let's just shun the nonbelievers and keep the doing what we love, which is share the Pokemon love!
For ever, I shall do it for ever from now on! Thanks
Old 08-22-2012, 02:16 AM
mintjelly Offline
Father Cat

Send a message via AIM to mintjelly Send a message via Skype™ to mintjelly

I'm 19 years old, and people have told me countless times that I'm too old for Pokemon.
I've had a lot of problems in my life regarding my family, and I never had many friends.
The only friend I can say that I've had my whole life is Pokemon. It's one of the few things that makes me happy, and it's helped me throughout tough times.
If I stopped playing Pokemon, I'd be losing a lifelong friend.

Shun the non-believer
Old 08-22-2012, 03:22 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

I don't think you can really get too old for Pokemon. For me it's not the anime or even the games that keep me interested, it's the Pokemon themselves and their whole world. Pokemon got me into writing and drawing and if not for Pokemon, I wouldn't have met any of my best friends. If you enjoy something you shouldn't give it up just because you're getting older. =)
Old 08-22-2012, 05:32 AM
Assaundrell Yumerai Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Assaundrell Yumerai

Oh my, too old? never(^^)
For me, Pokemon is applicable to all ages because the story was way too good. Besides, as generations pass by, new regions and Pokemons are discovered. I even met a 55 year-old grandma who adores Pikachu a lot. For people who thinks me as a childish person because of my love of Pokemon, I just ignore them. Be the way you are, no one has the right to judge because they are not judges XD
Old 08-22-2012, 06:12 AM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Send a message via AIM to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Yahoo to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Skype™ to Graceful_Suicune

XD People who say you're too old for something are clearly not knowledgeable about the reasons people like us love things like pokemon.

I HATE when people put an age limit on things such as pokemon. For me, it's not even about the games or the anime, or anything like that. For me it's the whole idea of pokemon--the pokemon themselves as a whole. I love everything about these creatures, and I would never want to give them up or anything related to them - stories, drawings, games - for a person's "YOU'RE TOO OLD FOR IT!!!1!1ONE!" It's ridiculous to me. xD I'm allowed to like whatever I damn-well want.

~GS.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Pe2k's spiritual successor! :D I'm Suicune's Fire there.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:32 AM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

You cant put age on enjoyment, being one of the older members on the forum I can say I talk to the students at work about pokemon, its kinda funny sometimes. I even talk to my nephew about pokemon and he looks through my guides asking questions. My friends laugh about it, but I dont mind.

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Old 08-22-2012, 06:54 AM
Dandin Offline

I am thirteen and my friends would make fun of me if I told them that I still play pokemon.

So if I tell them about this forum then my reputation is dead because I never have bin one of the cool kids.

But I do know that almost every friend of mine has played pokemon and it has still a place in their heart.

And I know that the most annoying guy that hates me of my "gang" still plays pokemon so he won't be bullying me about pokemon .

So if someone judges you about playing pokemon then think of this:

Everyone has played pokemon at least once and they all love it, so they will understand you.
Response:

Awesome avatar by 5TailedDemonLizard!!!

Click this cute Egg cuz it needs your love! (also give love to his friends!)

VPP:
Larvesta@46
Hatch: 61
Volcarona: 223
Level100: 346
Old 08-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Agleam Arceus Offline

It only really matters if you care about being picked on about liking something. It would be the same thing with a girl that you like and your friends say she's ugly or your too good for her. You wouldn't give that up just because of what someone else thinks. :/
I've never been the type of person that cares about other peoples opinions so it's easier for me to ignore it rather than others.

Charmander
Starting @ Post 10
Hatches @ Post 25
Charmeleon @ Post 58
Charizard @ Post 118
Level 100 @ Post 310