Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: General Board

Pokemon: General Board General discussion about Pokemon in general. If the topic of your thread does not fall into the subjects in the other boards, post it there. In other words, everything else belongs here if it doesn't have a board of its own.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Lux Yono Offline

Default Pokemon now, Pokemon then

No, this isn't a "First generation all the way!! Unova is horrible!! Creativity is bad, repetition is good, difference is sin!!" type of threads. This is actually about how we used to play when we were kids.

Does anybody remember before we understood the att/def and sp. att/def split and how that affected the moves we chose? Or when we just chose the Pokemon that looked the coolest or was our favorite type? Was I the only one who never used status moves for lowering/raising stats? Whatever move had the highest number for power was the strongest?

Nowadays, we're all,
Spoiler:
(Note: feel free to stop reading this as soon as you get the point that I'm trying to make.)

"Okay, now that I've managed to breed for a shiny Charmander with a rash nature and all 31 IVs I have to trade a Pokemon with Pokerus from my black to my white and then infect my Charizard with it and give him a macho brace which will give me precisely a x4 multiplier on all the EVs I obtain and then go surfing on route 3 to EV train speed for precisely 8 speed EVs per Basculin I kill which means I should have to kill precisely 31.5 Basculin and replace Charizard's Macho Brace with a choice scarf and now I think if I use Charizard to take out any tanks he could get a solid amount of health return so I should probably switch his Focus Sash for a Shell Bell but I need to set up his moveset to take advantage of STAB from fire type moves and if I did EV train him in both attack and special attack so he should make a solid mixed sweeper and I think by giving him Flare Blitz this will maximize the damage with no risk to the accuracy and the shell bell should recover a good amount of HP to keep him up and..."

You know, I don't know why we're always like this, because the way we did it back then still seemed to work for me. The picture below is what inspired this (Warning: strong language)
Spoiler:

Last edited by Lux Yono; 09-01-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Neku Sakuraba Offline
Sound Garden

Send a message via AIM to Neku Sakuraba Send a message via Skype™ to Neku Sakuraba
Default Re: Pokemon now, Pokemon then

Bro, back then is awesome, strengthening your point. Mewtwo was practically the best Pokemon before the Special split. And now all that matters is EV training which can take so long. And I also used to never use priority moves like Growl and replaced them with moves that did damage. Pokemon was a lot simpler back then. But it's still good, even though now it's about EV's.

Links
Code:
Level 100: 3287 Proud Deviant of the PE2K Deviants
Have PesterChum for some reason? Contact me on it! (neonSound)
Old 09-01-2012, 03:55 PM
goldwynaut Offline

the sad part about this is that if you dont ev train you will be weak and useless compared to those who have, it almost made me give up on pokemon, but i am still to ashamed of my pathetic team on pokemon white to even touch it but anyway, GEN 1 4EVAR!
Old 09-01-2012, 07:08 PM
brandon_g Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to brandon_g Send a message via Skype™ to brandon_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwynaut View Post
the sad part about this is that if you dont ev train you will be weak and useless compared to those who have it!
Not true, I dont ev train and I see myself as decently strong trainer.. sure i probably couldnt beat half the users on this site... but if I were to get another ds and bring all 3 starters from my 3 pokemon games, i would defiently win a battle any day... and I dont ev train.. the only time I use the point moves is growl to evade the attack a little bit that is all.

I agree though the point stats suck nowadays. and its a real shame.
I am Brandon, I have 1 goal as a pokemon trainer: To become the unbeatable unlike any other... I have already become the Champion of sinnoh... and am training currently in unova to beat the Champion their.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Honestly I still play the same as I did back then. xD I only use my favourite Pokemon, regardless of stats and I am way too lazy to IV breed/EV train. I did spend a long time EV training a team on Diamond because I wanted to have a chance at battling against other people, but eventually I got bored of that and I haven't been able to work up the motivation to make a 'proper' team in White.

My white team is made up of 2 grass types, 2 flying types, a dragon and a spider. 5 of my team members are weak to ice, 3 are weak to both rock and fire. I really didn't plan anything out, but I'm happy with my team and I picked them because I thought they looked the most interesting. For the first since Red and Blue, I didn't even worry about having 6 different types. There is definitely something to be said for playing with your favourites! I don't like how competitive battling is so rigid and pushes the use of only certain Pokemon in a certain way. It's just not fun to me, and I think it turns away a lot of people who just want to battle with the Pokemon they love!
Old 09-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

^ Yes.

I play the exact same way. I get favorites and plan out moves and HMs for fun... XD

Even in competitive battling, I never EV train or IV breed. I just use my favorites. Yes, even in competitive battles. They do pretty good too.

My Gold team was Typhlosion, Ampharos, Jolteon, Eevee, Togetic, and Dragonite. Finalizing to be Leafeon and Togekiss in my main HG team. I always use them in HG/G/C. Always. XD I think the Special/Attack split was he best thing to ever happen ever though. But, I've never played through any Gen I game without any help or alone. Actually, I've never played through one. I get kinda bored when playing Gen I game... DX
Old 09-02-2012, 06:11 PM
brandon_g Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to brandon_g Send a message via Skype™ to brandon_g

I am glad everyone plays the old fashion way... thats a really good thing.
I am Brandon, I have 1 goal as a pokemon trainer: To become the unbeatable unlike any other... I have already become the Champion of sinnoh... and am training currently in unova to beat the Champion their.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Lux Yono Offline

I was going to say the same thing Brandon. It's so nice to see everyone play the old school way. I play through a lot like this too xD I actually tried EV training for the first time ever on my SS team, and so far Pokemon has never seemed so unappealing to play. I was playing diamond with my favorites and I haven't had a problem. =3
Old 09-03-2012, 05:47 AM
Assaundrell Yumerai Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Assaundrell Yumerai

I still appreciate the nostalgic versions. As the generations pass by, it seems that everything get a bit weird(^^)