Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » Pokemon News

Pokemon News Here you will find the Pokemon news that is on the website, posted here also so you can reply with any comments/questions.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:00 AM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000
Post Poppy’s Breakfast Table: Growing Up

I have my cereal, a cup of orange juice, and cartoons are on. It feels almost like a Saturday morning. Thinking about old cartoons brought to mind something that has popped into conversation before. Does anyone else think it’s time for Ash to m

More...
Old 09-06-2012, 05:06 AM
winstein Offline

Default Re: Poppy’s Breakfast Table: Growing Up

I am surprised that you are one of those people who don't feel the sagas after Johto are intriguing. Actually, some fans found Johto a chore to watch because it has a large amount of fillers, which dragged down the experience. For Hoenn, it's not just the contests that fans found refreshing, but it's also how Ash becomes more intelligent because there's another character to play the "rookie" instead of him. For Sinnoh, it's more of the same, but it's still intriguing because while things go by slower than others, the main rival kept it very intriguing. I may not share the same sentiment, but I could see that there are fans who adore Paul.

I do agree an alternative for the mainstream anime would be nice. However, I thought that letting the West deal with their take of Pokemon is the way to go, because their input would bring about some new ideas. Yes, it's true that Pokemon is a Japanese franchise, but it doesn't mean everything is obliged to be handled there. After all, there are Japanese game companies that let Western companies handle their franchises (Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon comes to mind), or perhaps cartoons also (Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi is the closest example I can think of).

Thanks for reading.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:07 AM
winstein Offline

I am surprised that you are one of those people who don't feel the sagas after Johto are intriguing. Actually, some fans found Johto a chore to watch because it has a large amount of fillers, which dragged down the experience. For Hoenn, it's not just the contests that fans found refreshing, but it's also how Ash becomes more intelligent because there's another character to play the "rookie" instead of him. For Sinnoh, it's more of the same, but it's still intriguing because while things go by slower than others, the main rival kept it very intriguing. I may not share the same sentiment, but I could see that there are fans who adore Paul.

I do agree an alternative for the mainstream anime would be nice. However, I thought that letting the West deal with their take of Pokemon is the way to go, because their input would bring about some new ideas. Yes, it's true that Pokemon is a Japanese franchise, but it doesn't mean everything is obliged to be handled there. After all, there are Japanese game companies that let Western companies handle their franchises (Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon comes to mind), or perhaps cartoons also (Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi is the closest example I can think of).

Thanks for reading.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:47 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstein
Actually, some fans found Johto a chore to watch because it has a large amount of fillers, which dragged down the experience. For Hoenn, it's not just the contests that fans found refreshing, but it's also how Ash becomes more intelligent because there's another character to play the "rookie" instead of him.
This is how I feel. Apart from the contests being refreshing bit, because I actually don't like contests at all and am really glad they got rid of them in Black and White!

I did start to get bored of the anime by the end of Johto. I feel like Hoenn copied a lot of storylines from Kanto and Johto to the point where episodes felt like repeats with a few different Pokemon subbed in. One thing I did enjoy was seeing Ash take the role of mentor. I think it's the most character development he's ever had and I really liked that you could see he had learnt a lot from Brock and Misty and was passing it on to May and Max.

Unfortunately I felt that stopped in Sinnoh. He and Dawn seem more evenly matched, which means Ash has gone backwards. I find the same thing in the few Unova episodes I've seen, with Iris constantly calling Ash a "kid". (Does that girl annoy the Pikachu outta anyone else or is it just me?!) The Pokemon are the only ones who end up having some character development and it's just made the series rather bland to me.

It's just a shame that Pokemon has so much potential to be awesome, yet the writers insist on reusing the same old thing. If it was an American show I would understand as everyone outside Japan seems to believe Pokemon is just for kids. But I would expect better from Japanese story writers since Pokemon is such a huge thing in Japan and they know they have fans of all ages!
Old 09-09-2012, 03:37 AM
k_pop Offline
PE2K Website Staff

It's not that I didn't find any of the anime after Johto to be interesting. The contests were a change to the regular battles. And I agree with Sarah, that it was nice to see Ash as a more experienced trainer in Hoenn, but the shows just didn't pique my attention anymore. So, I didn't watch much. Maybe if they had carried in the direction that he was gaining experience with each region and no longer needed gym leaders with him to fall back on... >.> I think that might be one of my biggest problems with it. There is always at least one gym leader with him and they always seem to be the ones filling in the loose ends of what's going on in the show. And Ash is standing there like "Really? I didn't know that." C'mon, kid! You've met and fought legendaries for crying out loud! >.<

I still say that a fresh show with new characters, even running with the current, would be very welcome to a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
It's just a shame that Pokemon has so much potential to be awesome, yet the writers insist on reusing the same old thing. If it was an American show I would understand as everyone outside Japan seems to believe Pokemon is just for kids. But I would expect better from Japanese story writers since Pokemon is such a huge thing in Japan and they know they have fans of all ages!
Exactly. Thank you!
Old 09-13-2012, 01:40 AM
Charizard Michelle Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charizard Michelle

I actually liked the introduction of Contests back in Hoenn and Sinnoh. It gave us something else to watch beside Ash hitting gym after gym. It was another plot to follow and gave us a much needed break. Also, as mention before, it gave Ash the chance to be a mentor which worked out great with Ash and Dawn both teaching each other tricks.

I have never been a fan of series that changed their characters every season. It tires me out to gain new connections with the new characters only to see them rotated out for a fresh new face. That is what turned me off from Digimon and YGO. I like taking a break from the Pokemon anime and coming back knowing that Ash, Pikachu and the Rocket Trio are still there doing (or did in Rocket Trio's case) what they do best.

The main reason why we don't see the show growing up with it's fans is that the Japanese are targeting the show to a young audience that isn't us. They do not have plans to grow because as we grow out of the anime, a new fan is growing into it. They may have never heard of the Saffron City Gym Plot or the gags in Celadon but they know of the Galactic Plot and the recent Rocket Plots. It is nice to have older fans but they are not writing to keep us.

That is why the writers can recycle so much and restart Ash as often as they can. We may have seen Ash forgetting some of the basics but these new fans have not.

I need to find a new girl-on-girl animation.