Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » Pokemon News

Pokemon News Here you will find the Pokemon news that is on the website, posted here also so you can reply with any comments/questions.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 AM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000
Post Why PETA is WRONG About Pokemon

As you might have heard, PETA released an online flash game called Pokemon Black & Blue which heavily parodies our beloved franchise. In short, you are play as a member of a team of Pokemon determined to become "free" from human tyranny by elect

More...
Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 AM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim
Default Re: Why PETA is WRONG About Pokemon

I think this sums up my views on the matter.

When it comes to PETA vs. Pokemon, PETA is not very effective.
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:46 AM
Steak Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Steak

found this on tumblr and it is highly relevant

“The human sacrificed himself, to save the Pokemon. I pitted them against each other, but not until they set aside their differences did I see the true power they all share deep inside. I see now that the circumstances of one’s birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.” ~Mewtwo
Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 AM
Sealboy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sealboy Send a message via MSN to Sealboy Send a message via Skype™ to Sealboy

I must say, I completely disagree with this. Lemme explain:

PETA are, truthfully, only trying to publicise animal cruelty and why it's wrong. In no way is this a dig at the Pokemon games. Business-wise, incorporating Pokemon, a game loved by a large number of children, into the whole animal cruelty concept is a genius one - what better way to open the eyes of the next generation than this? It's not a dig at the Pokemon games, and I'm actually quite surprised that a few people have felt it that way - it's nothing more than a way to promote the bad voodoo that is animal abuse. What they're saying is:

"If Pokemon were real, and they were suffering from abuse, there would be an uproar and it would be solved. So, why does this not happen now with the animals that are currently being cruelly abused by us?" - making that important link between Pokemon and animals in order to affect the audience.

Also, the game was a PARODY. In no way was it meant to be a serious dig at the games. This parody is taken well over the top and, if people are actually being affected by this game to discontinue the purchasing of Pokemon products, then shame on them for actually believing a PARODY.

Sure, they've done this with other games (Cooking Mama and Mario), but this is only to create that crucial link that children need to actually give us any hope against animal cruelty.

To sum up - people have really taken this the wrong way. It's a parody people - it's all make-believe and taking things over the top! The only serious thing is the message behind the whole concept! I'm sure the PETA people that actually developed that game have the Pokemon games and enjoy playing them. This is nothing more than raising awareness for animal cruelty through a great theme, no digs were made (only jokes, such as the Diglett nose/mouth thing).

~Sealboy

Click the image above to check out my YouTube Channel - it'd mean a lot.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:00 AM
Steak Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Steak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealboy View Post
I must say, I completely disagree with this. Lemme explain:

PETA are, truthfully, only trying to publicise animal cruelty and why it's wrong. In no way is this a dig at the Pokemon games. Business-wise, incorporating Pokemon, a game loved by a large number of children, into the whole animal cruelty concept is a genius one - what better way to open the eyes of the next generation than this? It's not a dig at the Pokemon games, and I'm actually quite surprised that a few people have felt it that way - it's nothing more than a way to promote the bad voodoo that is animal abuse. What they're saying is:

"If Pokemon were real, and they were suffering from abuse, there would be an uproar and it would be solved. So, why does this not happen now with the animals that are currently being cruelly abused by us?" - making that important link between Pokemon and animals in order to affect the audience.

Also, the game was a PARODY. In no way was it meant to be a serious dig at the games. This parody is taken well over the top and, if people are actually being affected by this game to discontinue the purchasing of Pokemon products, then shame on them for actually believing a PARODY.

Sure, they've done this with other games (Cooking Mama and Mario), but this is only to create that crucial link that children need to actually give us any hope against animal cruelty.

To sum up - people have really taken this the wrong way. It's a parody people - it's all make-believe and taking things over the top! The only serious thing is the message behind the whole concept! I'm sure the PETA people that actually developed that game have the Pokemon games and enjoy playing them. This is nothing more than raising awareness for animal cruelty through a great theme, no digs were made (only jokes, such as the Diglett nose/mouth thing).

~Sealboy
I see where you're coming from, but do you really think little kids are going to understand it this way?

Are children going to look at a demonized and bloody version of their favorite pasttime, a "parody" that exhibits their favorite characters saying the most downright slanderous things and showing off completely uncharacteristic traits and think to themselves, "Right, these guys are telling me not to be cruel to animals, got it!"

No. These are children, and last I checked, blood and violence are NOT attributes of a morally sound message for kids! The only thing that's cruel here is bastardizing a franchise that a great population of today's youth has come to cherish, and then having your message presented in a way that crams itself down their throat all at once, in some twisted way of seeking the moral high ground.

Little children aren't going to understand whatever ironic message you say is there. They're going to see blood, violence, and an altogether nightmarish version of what many of them love, and they sure as hell are not going to respond 'favorably' to it.

Try again.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:39 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

I don't know how you can think it's not a dig at the Pokemon games. They released it on the same day as Black and White 2 for maximum effect and to detract from the games, say that Pokemon is akin to caging elephants and other ridiculous things.

If you take a look at PETA's history, they are all about attacking everything and anything that they think is 'wrong' and stooping to ridiculous levels to achieve this aim. I don't think this is an effective campaign at all and it is way over the top. Isn't a parody supposed to cleverly reference or refer to something without blatantly ripping it off? The fact that they used the logo, designs and names of actual Pokemon and characters must be illegal and makes this is a blatant attack. They are not just saying "these poor animals should be freed" with a bunch of made up monsters which could be associated with Pokemon and other games involving training animal-like creatures. By using Pokemon logos and characters, they are saying that Pokemon trainers specifically are evil and the Pokemon company specifically is encouraging animal abuse by releasing these games.

This actually made my local newspaper which is ridiculous in itself. I don't know who they are trying to appeal to with this. Pokemon fans will be disgusted, young children who might actually play the game will be disgusted by the gore, violence and graphic animal abuse video they play as a 'prize' and parents will be disgusted that PETA is trying to market to children by making a violent and horrible game. The only people who this is going to affect positively are those who already think Pokemon is bad in one way or another. There is no way this is going to convert anyone who has ever played a Pokemon game or watched a single episode of the TV show where it is more than obvious that Pokemon are not just animals and that humans and Pokemon care about each other.

Not to mention they align themselves with Team Plasma, an organisation who may have a valid underlying concern, but happens to be led by a crazy idiot who is really evil and just wants to make everyone else get rid of their Pokemon so HE can use Pokemon to take over the world. That really makes sense. Good job, PETA.

For the record, I actually believe Team Plasma raised some valid points regarding Pokemon training, although it has always been clear that Pokemon enjoy being in the care of trainers. Aren't there some real animals that need PETA's attention? Next they'll be attacking Harry Potter for killing a basilisk.

Last edited by Pokemon Trainer Sarah; 10-09-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:48 AM
Sealboy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sealboy Send a message via MSN to Sealboy Send a message via Skype™ to Sealboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steak View Post
I see where you're coming from, but do you really think little kids are going to understand it this way?

Are children going to look at a demonized and bloody version of their favorite pasttime, a "parody" that exhibits their favorite characters saying the most downright slanderous things and showing off completely uncharacteristic traits and think to themselves, "Right, these guys are telling me not to be cruel to animals, got it!"

No. These are children, and last I checked, blood and violence are NOT attributes of a morally sound message for kids! The only thing that's cruel here is bastardizing a franchise that a great population of today's youth has come to cherish, and then having your message presented in a way that crams itself down their throat all at once, in some twisted way of seeking the moral high ground.

Little children aren't going to understand whatever ironic message you say is there. They're going to see blood, violence, and an altogether nightmarish version of what many of them love, and they sure as hell are not going to respond 'favorably' to it.

Try again.
I suppose when I said "children" I didn't exactly elaborate - I meant at the ages of, say, 7-13 rather than 4 year-olds.

It's hardly blood and violence - the game is depicted as a parody due to the drawing style and the jokes made during the game to lower the intensity of the theme; I found the majority of it quite humorous. Sure, the video at the start of the game is a bit too much, but it's likely to get the message across to the audience. Campaigns trying to promote the negatives of Animal Cruelty have to show the bloody, violent side of the topic - it's one of the most effective ways to raise awareness!

Neither of us can really say, or interpret, what children are going to get from this game - be it the message PETA are trying to send out or the gore/violence depicted. We're not children ourselves, therefore we can't really judge what they'll see/think. I can surely say though that the video (albeit a bit too much) will definitely hit home.

Maybe we're looking into this too much, or too little in fact. This is a parody and I really can't see it doing any harm. I mean, if there's an outrage about this, would there be an outrage over Egoraptor's "PokeAwesome" video? I mean, it is a parody.

~Sealboy

Click the image above to check out my YouTube Channel - it'd mean a lot.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Speedy G Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Speedy G

The point of such a campaign is to ruffle feathers, which it seems to have done effortlessly. It's less about prompting fans to stop playing Pokemon altogether, but rather give some insight into what *can* be construed from the range of behaviours and ideologies in the Pokemon universe. Then, it's up to the individual to decide whether such insight alters their perception of Pokemon, or whether they can continue to play with their morals in check.

While PETA may seem aggressive in their approach, remind yourself that Pokemon is a conglomerate franchise, with heavily influence on young minds. PETA is well within their right to create, as Sealboy suggests, a parody of a game whose undertones *can* be seen to promote animal cruelty.

Someone needs to call the butthurt police, bahaha; everyone's on the defensive. >.>