Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 10:51 PM
RPTeamRapture Offline

Default EV Training Query

Before I begin properly with this tale, if this thread is in the wrong place, please please move it to where it belongs on this here forum. I'm useless on forums and finding out where to put things and whatnot.

So, to begin, today, I finally decided I was going to EV train a Pokémon. It only took me five years to decide I was going to do it. I eventually settled on Charmander (for a badass Charizard as the final product). Now, I know I can't get Solar Power Charmander, so I just decided to make the best of one with Blaze. I decided on the moveset Flare Blitz, Earthquake, Outrage and ThunderPunch (so a completely physical Charizard) with maxed out Attack and Speed stats. The Charmander (who I nicknamed Novus, for awesomeness), is an Impish nature. I'd have preferred Jolly or Adamant, but since Impish doesn't lower Attack, I was fine with it.

So I gave Charmander the moves he can learn at his current level, gave him Pokérus and the Macho Brace, and we set off to train on Route 1. According to my calculations, with every Patrat and Lillipup I defeat, I get 4 EV (1 EV normally, doubled by Pokérus and doubled again by Macho Brace). I have currently calculated that we have earned 136 EV points as of now. His attack is at 21. He's level 11. I decided to give him a bunch of Proteins after this, but I found that it wouldn't let me use them- "It won't have any effect". Does anybody know why this is? Am I just completely ignorant and have I glazed over something?

And most importantly, have I done it right for my first time ever EV training? Is there a fatal flaw anywhere?
Old 10-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Default Re: EV Training Query

now you are good !

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Old 10-26-2012, 10:58 PM
RPTeamRapture Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
now you are good !
Praise Arceus! Thank you!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPTeamRapture View Post
Praise Arceus! Thank you!
okay how many of those pokemon did you beat ? I always keep a tally.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:12 PM
RPTeamRapture Offline

Quote:
okay how many of those pokemon did you beat ? I always keep a tally.
I had a blurry patch just a few minutes ago, but I would say, we are roughly around 46-50. I used 2 of those Wing items as well. I guess I should be in and around 186 EV points gained now. Charmander is Level 12 now and his attack is 25.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:
I had a blurry patch just a few minutes ago, but I would say, we are roughly around 46-50. I used 2 of those Wing items as well. I guess I should be in and around 186 EV points gained now. Charmander is Level 12 now and his attack is 25.
well his level now doesnt matter, the evs will kick in eventually.

so if it was 50 times, you should be at 200 evs, because each would be worth 4 evs. Really this all depends on what you gave it.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:55 PM
RPTeamRapture Offline

Thanks Dredd, that really helped

My Charizard is now at Level 42 and is giving off a hefty Attack stat of 106 and Speed stat of 114. Compare that to Lv 36 Charizard I also have, I know it's a few levels lower but its stats don't lie- its attack is 73 and speed is 86. I know they'd have gained a few more points in those stats by Lv 42 but not nearly close to reaching 106 or 114.

EV training worked out so well... I'm shocked I didn't try sooner.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:
Thanks Dredd, that really helped

My Charizard is now at Level 42 and is giving off a hefty Attack stat of 106 and Speed stat of 114. Compare that to Lv 36 Charizard I also have, I know it's a few levels lower but its stats don't lie- its attack is 73 and speed is 86. I know they'd have gained a few more points in those stats by Lv 42 but not nearly close to reaching 106 or 114.

EV training worked out so well... I'm shocked I didn't try sooner.
its seem complicated until you give it a try. Im glad it worked out !

Old 10-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Reborn Offline

Can I just add that for a beginner at EV training you seem to understand it all very well. Congratulations on the new skill that you've obtained through being resourceful and perserverant.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:11 AM
RPTeamRapture Offline

Quote:
its seem complicated until you give it a try. Im glad it worked out !
Yeah I'm really happy with how it turned out first time around. Now I guess after I'm done with Charizard I can focus on training other Pokémon for proper battling, with items, and kind of set roles for battling in the future. I've plenty of ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith View Post
Can I just add that for a beginner at EV training you seem to understand it all very well. Congratulations on the new skill that you've obtained through being resourceful and perserverant.
Thanks! I really appreciate all the help! :)
Old 10-28-2012, 12:25 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Just to answer your earlier question, you can only use those +10 EV increasing items (HP Up, Protein, etc.) to get up to 100 EVs. (Wings can be used any time but they only give you +1 EV) Since you already had 136 EV points at the time, that's why you couldn't use them.

In future if you wanted to use them, use them first before you start battling Pokemon. You can use them to get up to 100 EVs and then do the rest by battling! I'd also suggest trying to get your hands on the Power items if possible. From one Patrat using the Power Bracer and PokeRus, you could be getting 10 EVs, so it's a lot faster! ^^ Have fun training!
Old 10-28-2012, 01:31 AM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
Just to answer your earlier question, you can only use those +10 EV increasing items (HP Up, Protein, etc.) to get up to 100 EVs. (Wings can be used any time but they only give you +1 EV) Since you already had 136 EV points at the time, that's why you couldn't use them.

In future if you wanted to use them, use them first before you start battling Pokemon. You can use them to get up to 100 EVs and then do the rest by battling! I'd also suggest trying to get your hands on the Power items if possible. From one Patrat using the Power Bracer and PokeRus, you could be getting 10 EVs, so it's a lot faster! ^^ Have fun training!

Look at you giving a good technical response !

Quote:
Yeah I'm really happy with how it turned out first time around. Now I guess after I'm done with Charizard I can focus on training other Pokémon for proper battling, with items, and kind of set roles for battling in the future. I've plenty of ideas.
Learning Ev training is a good first step ! If you would like help with team set up please pm and on that note..

Your Question Has been answered ! This thread has now reached its end ;)

You have Been Judged !

Last edited by Judge Dredd; 10-28-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Closed Thread