Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:51 PM
ArceusTheCreator Offline

Default Re: Does pop culture deserve serious study?

>New style
>NEW
>HA

VPP:

Level100:@384

Hey I'm no angel, or the devil of your conscience to tell you who to be... good, bad, ugly or otherwise.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS View Post
People spend too much time comparing "old to new" but realistically if you were just a huge fan you wouldn't need to compare but love them for what they are and what they stand for.
If you become a fan of Rush Limbaugh because he is hardcore conservative, but then he suddenly, arbitrarily becomes a Marxist, would you remain a fan of him?
Old 11-26-2012, 04:00 AM
i_love_hkim Offline

If you aren't aware that researchers at universities in America do study pop culture, then you lot aren't too well versed on where your tax pennies get sent to.

Interesting research I saw recently concluded Jon Stewart is our generation's biggest public intellectual, or something to that extent. You can find this stuff in Journals if your school has a good breadth of subscription.

Culture studies classes are also ever prevalent at universities. It's mostly going to depend what programs your school offers, however.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:47 PM
miyoun Offline

Send a message via MSN to miyoun Send a message via Skype™ to miyoun

idk.

im used to my favourite artists changing styles, doing multiple things for fans.
some fans like, some don't.

changing the style doesn't change the quality of the music itself.

for example, snsd did a innocent girl concept, then cute, etc, but the quality of each song, despite all being different, ballad, pop, dance, is exactly the same.

in fact in time despite changes, artists will always improve.

edit: i will learn about pop culture in japan when i start uni, as i will be taking a masters in japanese (maybe masters in linguistics too) and in my year in japan i will be surrounded in it.
i think it would be nice to have pop culture taught in schools, maybe not called "pop culture" but maybe a more specific media class separate from music/history about history of radio, tv, fashion and how its developed over time rather than listening to radio in class.

i hate the radio

don't wanna be a sing sing boy | twitter | last.fm

Last edited by miyoun; 11-27-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:14 PM
Reborn Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddiursa of the Sky View Post
I disagree. When an artist starts to get a large fanbase, they will eventually be pressured to change their style in order to please their audience, or they will lose fans because they do not change their style at all. Overall, it is a turd sandwich in which an artist will have to change eventually. With the change comes varying opinions about what is good. Now, you say Green Day was never good. I disagree. I think they were good around their beginning.
But surely, one of the reasons that they actually started gaining fans was because of their style. If they change their style they could possibly become more popular or less popular. This sort of thinking should be discussed in classes all around the world, I think that it will surely change the way human kind act; for the better or worse, I don't know.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
But surely, one of the reasons that they actually started gaining fans was because of their style. If they change their style they could possibly become more popular or less popular. This sort of thinking should be discussed in classes all around the world, I think that it will surely change the way human kind act; for the better or worse, I don't know.
It is relatively straightforward, Reborn. Listen to any mainstream artist's music before, then after they gain popularity. There is a striking difference, and it is because the artist is pressured into what the fandom wants. And if you do not know the effects of something, why would you implement it in something like education?