Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: General Board

Pokemon: General Board General discussion about Pokemon in general. If the topic of your thread does not fall into the subjects in the other boards, post it there. In other words, everything else belongs here if it doesn't have a board of its own.

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 06:41 PM
QuietSnowdrop Offline

Default Guess what I just hatched!!!

In White 2 I just hatched a female Anticipation eevee with IVs 30/13/31/31/28/31. The only bad one in that list is the Attack stat, which I'm not even going to use. I plan on evolving it into a Magic Bounce Espeon. Woo!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:19 PM
goldwynaut Offline

Default Re: Guess what I just hatched!!!

yo whats the deal with IVs? its so hard to get them right and they barely do anything! i mean, come on! would you spend 3 weeks to make a 31 stat point difference? its not going to change anything you know, your pokemon is too dang strong or too dang week anyway. and for the people who do it, its a one or two hit ko anyway, if half the pokemons HP is cut its dun for, but if half or a quarter of it is cut is basically the same thing, i say, get the right nature and make sure it has IVs on your respective stat. because if you IV breed pokemon, you will barely have one battle before there is a new game, and then you do it again, and again, and again, AND AGAIN! EV breeding is a complete waste of time, why did game freak even bother adding IVs to the game at all? was it to make the pokemon more unique? eeh,if that was the point there sure is a lot more they could have done. you know what? i think they made the whole EV and IV thing just so smogonites could find out about it and figure out how to manipulate them, so anyone who want to stand a chance against them has to EV train and IV breed too, so in that way, there would be hundreds of guides on the internet, im sure right now all the programmers of gamefreak are laughing at all the traffic they created, people trying to find out how to EVtrain or IVbreed, smogonites discussing what nature is best for what pokemon, you get the deal.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Zetsu Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Zetsu

First of all, IV's and EV's help a fair bit. IV's determine which stat is preferrential to that particular pokemon. EV's determine which stats grow fast and which grow slow.

To competitive battlers and even some regular gamers, IV's and EV's play an important role in their training.

Second up. EV trainine DOES NOT take "weeks". I can train up to 3 pokemon a day, and that's with taking breaks and doing other stuff.

Last of all, I doubt Gamefreak would be "laughing at us" for figuring out IV and EV training. They implemented the new game mechanic in order to further enhance the player's gaming experience, and to help optimize your pokemons stats efficiently, and with the introduction of "Battle Tower" and "Battle Frontier" in Crystal and Emerald, EV and IV training has, as i said before, become important factors in raising pokemon.

As for snowdrop.. grats! i myself, have a Garchomp that same paremeter, except replacing attack with special defense. Oddly enough, it had the exact EV and IV i wanted to train him with (Adamant - Likes to Run). I also have a "Modest Nature - Highly Curious" Gardevoir on SoulSilver.

Nothing beats knowing you're getting the best out of your pokemon's stats <3

WFL Dream Team.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 PM
QuietSnowdrop Offline

@goldwynaut: What Zetsu said. Breeding for stats is not a waste of time; its maximizing a pokemon's potential. And you'd be surprised what a tiny stat change can do in a battle.

@Zetsu: Thanks! And wow, that Garchomp sounds awesome. I love it when you finally get a stroke of luck in these games. :D
Old 11-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

Awesome!! :DD

I have all the DW ability Eeveelutions in my preferred genders. Not sure on EVs/IVs, but I love them to death. <3333333

My main EVd Competitive team is:

Garchomp, Adamant, Somewhat Vain 252 Atk; 252 Spd ; 4 Def
Haxorus, Quirky, Somewhat Vain (SHINY) 252 Atk ; 252 Spd ; 4 Def
Hydreigon, Mild, Highly Curious 252 Sp. Atk ; 252 Spd ; 4 Sp. Def
Metagross, Adamant, Capable of taking hits (SHINY; FLAWLESS) 252 Atk ; 252 Def ; 4 Sp. Def
Gallade, Bashful, Strongly defiant 252 Atk ; 252 Sp. Def ; 4 Spd
Chandelure, Relaxed, Mischievous 252 Sp. Atk ; 252 Sp. Def ; 4 Def

I never competitive battle, so I mainly use them in PWT. XD I apparently suck, because I lose pretty much every tournament.

But yeah, awesome!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:45 PM
goldwynaut Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsu View Post
First of all, IV's and EV's help a fair bit. IV's determine which stat is preferrential to that particular pokemon. EV's determine which stats grow fast and which grow slow.

To competitive battlers and even some regular gamers, IV's and EV's play an important role in their training.

Second up. EV trainine DOES NOT take "weeks". I can train up to 3 pokemon a day, and that's with taking breaks and doing other stuff.

Last of all, I doubt Gamefreak would be "laughing at us" for figuring out IV and EV training. They implemented the new game mechanic in order to further enhance the player's gaming experience, and to help optimize your pokemons stats efficiently, and with the introduction of "Battle Tower" and "Battle Frontier" in Crystal and Emerald, EV and IV training has, as i said before, become important factors in raising pokemon.

lol

As for snowdrop.. grats! i myself, have a Garchomp that same paremeter, except replacing attack with special defense. Oddly enough, it had the exact EV and IV i wanted to train him with (Adamant - Likes to Run). I also have a "Modest Nature - Highly Curious" Gardevoir on SoulSilver.

Nothing beats knowing you're getting the best out of your pokemon's stats <3
lol no, EVs and IVs were not intended to be discovered by players, gamefreak never spoke about neither, it was supposed to be the mystery of pokemon how two apparently identical pokemon cold have different stats and so on.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Zetsu Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Zetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwynaut View Post
lol no, EVs and IVs were not intended to be discovered by players, gamefreak never spoke about neither, it was supposed to be the mystery of pokemon how two apparently identical pokemon cold have different stats and so on.
Mystery of pokmon? Not intended to be discovered? That's why there are hints thrown about all over the games, from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, hell, even R/B/Y has hints about EV/IV training.

And Gamefreak? what, you saying they should spill every single detail about their games? They didn't tell anyone about EV's and IV's so that players could make that discovery themselves.

They would have known it was to be discovered eventually. If you don't believe me why don't you battle some hardcore Japanese Gamers?

Over the course of the different generations of pokemon games, IV's and EV's have been more and more apparent in them.

Although i will admit you have to pretty hardcore into the games before you can read too much into what the people say in-game and understand what to do etc.

Not trying to sound harsh or anything, sorry if I did, but yeah.

WFL Dream Team.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

If they weren't intended to be discovered, then why are there Vitamins and Wings? ^^;
Old 11-18-2012, 11:49 PM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

Congratulations Snowdrop. It can be a pain breeding but at least you have White 2 with the improved mechanics.

I'm still stuck with Black XD And yet I still managed to breed two Marill with four perfect IVs in like, two weeks. It takes patience, Pokemon Judge, patience again, and Flame Body.

...Gotta love that Flame Body, yet Larvesta and Aron still take forever to hatch. ONE DAY.

Magic Bounce Espeon sounds evil. Feel bad for whoever tries to Thunder Wave it!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:20 AM
QuietSnowdrop Offline

@Typhlosion Explosion: Ooh, your team sounds epic. Especially that Metagross. :D Oh, and I know what you mean about PWT. I can never get past the second battle. :/

@GoldWynaut: Put yourself in Game Freak's shoes. Doesn't it seem a little counter counter-intuitive to allude to something numerous times, create EV-enhancing items, and write IV-breeding mechanics if you don't intend for your players to ever discover how to use them?

@Grassy_Aggron: Thanks! And yes, thank goodness for the improved mechanics. I would have given up a LONG time ago if this had been an older gen. Congrats on the two Marills... that is super lucky! And yes, evil Magic Bounce Espeon is evil. My plan for world domination unfolds... Mwahaha!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:21 AM
QuietSnowdrop Offline

@Typhlosion Explosion: Ooh, your team sounds epic. Especially that Metagross. :D Oh, and I know what you mean about PWT. I can never get past the second battle. :/

@GoldWynaut: Put yourself in Game Freak's shoes. Doesn't it seem a little counter counter-intuitive to allude to something numerous times, create EV-enhancing items, and write IV-breeding mechanics if you don't intend for your players to ever discover how to use them?

@Grassy_Aggron: Thanks! And yes, thank goodness for the improved mechanics. I would have given up a LONG time ago if this had been an older gen. Congrats on the two Marills... that is super lucky! And yes, evil Magic Bounce Espeon is evil. My plan for world domination unfolds... Mwahaha!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:39 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Wow those are some awesome IVs, QuietSnowdrop! Congrats! :D Did it take you a long time? I am far too lazy/impatient to IV breed xD
Old 11-19-2012, 03:06 AM
QuietSnowdrop Offline

Thanks Sarah! It did take a while, but it could've taken wayyy longer. Someone was nice enough to help me out the other day by trading me a dream world eevee that already had a few good stats. Then I spent this weekend trying to perfect them. I'm not sure how long it would've taken if I had started from scratch, but I'd definitely still be hatching!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:34 PM
goldwynaut Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhlosion Explosion View Post
If they weren't intended to be discovered, then why are there Vitamins and Wings? ^^;
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietSnowdrop View Post
there are vitamins and wings because they boost your stats, they say they slightly boost your pokemons stats, it does not say they give you EVs. and remember snowdrop that pokemon is intended for kids, i dont think many kids go to smogon to learn about EVs and IVs, they added them to the game to make it seem more alive, almost no pokemon are alike anymore, thanks to IVs and EVs, it was not made as and easter egg for smogonites.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Dark Moonlight Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwynaut View Post
there are vitamins and wings because they boost your stats, they say they slightly boost your pokemons stats, it does not say they give you EVs. and remember snowdrop that pokemon is intended for kids, i dont think many kids go to smogon to learn about EVs and IVs, they added them to the game to make it seem more alive, almost no pokemon are alike anymore, thanks to IVs and EVs, it was not made as and easter egg for smogonites.
Explain the usage of the Salon in Join Avenue, then. It reduces stats so you can re-EV train, and also, what about the people in the games who tell you how much you have EV trained your Pokémon? I used to hate the idea of EV training, but I was battling a close friend of mine who EV trains, and she pwned me with a Blissey with 500-odd Hit Points. I personally don't do much EV training myself, as I find it a bit of an annoying process.

It's okay if you don't EV train yourself, but you should at least accept it. Also, not only kids play Pokémon. Adults do as well. My final point is that we don't use Smogon, either. I've never been to Smogon myself, actually, nor has my friend with the Blissey. EV training isn't all about Smogon. Also, vitamins, wings & fitness places in Join Avenue are to help EV training, but players are meant to find out about EV training themselves, which we have.

Spoiler:
Closed Thread