Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » Pokemon News

Pokemon News Here you will find the Pokemon news that is on the website, posted here also so you can reply with any comments/questions.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:00 PM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000
Post Pokemon designs are only getting better

Generation 6 is on the horizon, and with it, a multitude of new Pokemon. Some fans are excited, others apprehensive. Can they really come up with another batch of interesting Pokemon? After some of the absurdities of generation 5 (ice cream

More...
Old 12-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah
Default Re: Pokemon designs are only getting better

I pretty much disagree with this whole article. I personally like the first gen Pokemon for their simplicity. They were (mostly) believable creatures. I think there are great Pokemon in all generations, but I definitely wouldn't say they're only getting better. Unlike the author, I don't find Nosepass, Metagross, Ludicolo and Vanilluxe "interesting". :(
Old 12-18-2012, 10:58 PM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

I don't believe she's a true fan. She spells things wrong, she makes mistakes in the article about information...But yeah I disagree as well. Gen II and Gen I are tied together imo, so I think their designs are much better than the newer ones. There are Pokemon I like and don't like for every region though. :P
Old 12-19-2012, 08:35 AM
goldwynaut Offline

Every generation of pokemon, ever:

1x useless rodent thing that nobody cares about
1x overpowered psuedo legendary
1x furbait pokemon
1x easily obtained powerhouse that everybody uses
3-7x legendary pokemon
the rest is just generally boring pokemon
Old 12-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Dark Moonlight Offline

I like all the generations equally, and all their designs :3 There are all original and unoriginal Pokémon, and I don't know if it's only me, but I like the ice creams! I don't like fighting over "originality". I like all the Pokémon, and while some designs are a little lacking, I think some designs are rich.

Spoiler:
Old 12-19-2012, 04:51 PM
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Moonlight View Post
I like all the generations equally, and all their designs :3 There are all original and unoriginal Pokémon, and I don't know if it's only me, but I like the ice creams! I don't like fighting over "originality". I like all the Pokémon, and while some designs are a little lacking, I think some designs are rich.
Not at all just you! Etymology is in love with the ice creams!

I personally hate Garbodor and Trubbish...Trash Pokemon...Really... :(
Old 12-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
I pretty much disagree with this whole article. I personally like the first gen Pokemon for their simplicity. They were (mostly) believable creatures. I think there are great Pokemon in all generations, but I definitely wouldn't say they're only getting better. Unlike the author, I don't find Nosepass, Metagross, Ludicolo and Vanilluxe "interesting". :(
I have to agree with Sarah. I think pokemon design has gotten worse and worse. When I first saw pictures of the gen 5 pokemon I thought they were a cheap knock off of the first gen pokemon. I mean a tadpole with a big face, an ice cream cone and a candle ...

Gen 1 and 2 really were the best for pokemon design because they were so simple and other than a few pokemon like voltorb and machamp you could almost picture these things in the wild.

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Old 12-20-2012, 12:55 AM
Operative Offline

Send a message via MSN to Operative Send a message via Skype™ to Operative

To be honest, I like most of the newer designs compared to the older ones. The "simplistic" thing is nice alright, but some of them are just way too... boring. It's that they're not even Pokemon more so just cartoon animals.

ie:) Rattata

it's just a purple mouse

|thedynamicduo|
Old 12-20-2012, 02:39 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

Disagreeing here. I personally have very few favorites from Sinnoh and especially Unova, aside from say, Larvesta/Volcarona/Tornadus Beast Forme or whatever/Durant/Serperior/Chandelure.

Sinnoh, eh, I'd say that is my least favorite so far. Hoenn is by far my favorite region (hmm, my name, could it have anything to do with it...).

BUT, it's all up to opinion, and it all depends on the person :3
Old 12-20-2012, 03:08 AM
~Blast Burn

LOL Beast forme.

Incarnate or Therian gurlll. xD

I also agree, I have very few favorites beyond Gen II, but that doesn't mean I don't like the games. As long as I can get my favorites over to that game I'm good. xD

Lucario, Lopunny, Infernape, Honchkrow, Roserade, Floatzel, Staraptor, Luxray, Shaymin, and Phione are about it. Manaphy is nice, with Togekiss and Leafeon super favorites. Magmortar, Rhyperiror, Mamoswine, and Electivire end it with a decent ranking.

Unova doesn't hold near as many as Sinnoh. Victini, Samurott, Zebstrika, Swanna, Sawsbuck, Reuniclus, Virizion, Keldeo, Kyurem-W, anbd Cinccino are the main.

Gen II was okay too, but I feel there's a longer list there. I think they are cutting the cutey cool fuzy animals from it. That's what I like. :(
Old 12-20-2012, 05:46 AM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

I think Pokemon creation has been on the same level as it has in Gen 1. There are good ones, and there are ones that are WTF worthy. When Gen 5 I think they went back to their Gen 1 roots and went back with the simple designs. This is where I think people may confuse 'simple' with 'unoriginal' when comparing the two generations.

The first generation started it all, yes, but taking a step back from things and looking at Pokemon without confining them to their generations, the designs seem pretty steady with a level of originality and simplicity to me. With gen five, it seems they used simple designs with keeping in mind to go with a more modern flow, as they did with their plotline: anti-war. Before it was usually beat said bad criminal group, not something quite as thought provoking as the B/W plotline. Anyway, just as time goes on, Pokemon are in the Pokemon universe and that is an evolving place just like the real world is, it's in constant change so Pokemon would naturally change too.

The Garbodor line is really another version of the Muk line. Persian is just some fancy cat, whereas Stoutland is an alternate version of a dog. If you want another obvious link for Gen 5 taking a more Gen 1 track, I'll show you these two:

Pidgey and Pidove

Three freakin' letters difference between a three member evolution line of a common bird Pokemon.

Of course, like anyone, I question the existence of Vanillish and such related Pokemon. However I also question Voltorb. It's design was based off of something within the Pokemon universe. Then when it evolved it's coloured inversed and it's eyes changed... yeah woo that's exciting...

Horsea is a play on Seahorse, Bellsprout is a walking flower, Mankey is a corruption of monkey, Ratatta is someone saying 'rat' with a stutter, and so on.

Let's also not forget the idea behind the design, because that's a big part of it too. Someone mentioned Litwick so I'm going to use it in my example. Firstly, I think Litwick is a neat idea [and also cute but not because I found a shiny one on my Black playthrough, no not at all ><] because it's the idea of a possessed candle burning souls it captures. To me, that's a simple idea, with a cool concept.

I think people are forgetting that the real world has some pretty unbelieveable creture's that exist. I think people need to put more things into perspective about Pokemon designs here. Again, I'm not saying all of them are great, or that if you think a Pokemon design isn't great because you simple don't like it, that's fine. All I'm saying is that I don't think people are really looking at Pokemon designs as a whole with the Gen 5 vs Gen 1 argument.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

I actually like Gen 5 a lot overall. There were only a handful of Pokemon I liked from Gen 4 and I was overall pretty disappointed with the Pokemon. I agree Gen 5 seems to be going back to the roots of Pokemon (with a few exceptions) and I think it's a step in the right direction. I enjoyed Gen 5 more than Gen 4 or Gen 3.

I really dislike Pokemon modelled on manmade objects. They just don't make sense to me. u_u I realise gen 1 had some offenders but even then Voltorb and Magnemite were believable as creatures in their own right, not exact copies of manmade items. Vanilluxe can't be anything but an ice cream (for the record I like Vanillite). Klink is just two gears... (probably my most disliked gen 5 Pokemon, its evolutions are so boring!) I actually feel Trubbish fits into the Pokemon world better than either of them xD Litwick too, even though they are both modelled on manmade things. But this is all personal opinion!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

To me, every generation has its awesome Pokemon and its weirdos. That's the thing. When you have so many different characters like that, just about everyone will find some they like and some they dislike.

I do have to admit though, the game sprites themselves look a HECK of a lot better than they used to. The old sprites from Red/Blue make me cringe a little and make me wonder how I put up with that.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Frost Dragon Offline

So generation V is going back to its generation I roots. I can understand that. However, couldn't it be possible that it went a bit too far? When I look at generation V, I notice just how many of them are practically duplicates of earlier pokemon, in either design or concept. Beartic line is the Teddiursa line. Maractus? Just a redo of cacturne. Woobat doesn't even need explanation. The list just goes on and on. Now, I'm not one of those guys who just thinks that generation I the absolute best thing ever, I just found that the fifth one left a bad taste in my mouth.

Lucario@312
Hatch: 327
Lucario: 432
Level100: 612