Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Sceptile Frost
Default Re: Fan Fiction Chat/Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicune's Child View Post
I think a beta system is a good idea but I can see it being hard to do. Only people who have a very good grasp of grammar and spelling would be able to do it. How would you know who to choose as a beta? Would there be some kind of test or something? Also, what if a person reads some ones fic, edits it, helps them write it, makes it very nice but then the person decides not to post it? That would be a waste of time on the person who reviewed the story. (I saw someone mention that on PC and that I'd add it.)

I think it's a good idea but it would need to be set up in a way that prevented people from wasting their time but also having people that were dedicated. Plus people who wouldn't flame or put the person down if they didn't like the story.

Well, if you're requesting beta for something, you probably want it to be written (especially if its farther into the story). Yeah, I would probably emphasize the quality time beta readers spent to read a fic and that the person they beta'd it for would want to seriously take their suggestions with a level head.

So yeah, it sounds like I'll start it. I'll probably wait until after WAR, however. That will give me some time to improve on the forms for submission and figure out how the whole thing will work.

ZOMG, EVOLUTION! I CAN'T WAIT! (Is it premiering on Serebeth tonight as well?) A journey fic from Kayden!

Man, The Review Roundup w/ Redlark is dead. Yeah, it's been that way for a while.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Bay Offline
Master Trainer

Yeah, a beta company thing will work. There are now quite a few members who needed some help in learning how to write a decent fanfiction.

And Kayden, Evolution is coming today? Oh my gosh,I can't wait! I promise I will review that fic! XD

+Nothing, Everything+

Chapter Thirteen: It's All a Contest up (12/28/08)
Old 08-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector

Yeah, well evolution was supposed to come today, yesterday...at least that's hat it seemed to me. But I can't wait until it does come. I doubt I'll be able to review it (as reviewing Kayden's work would need serious understanding of English, and the ability to see the smallest mistake, something which I cannot do for nuts), but I will be looking forward to reading it...

DS

EDIT: On the topic of beta, I say that we have a rule that anything that wants to be beta'd should be at least (such and such chapters) into the story, and whoever wants their story to be beta'd should show us (such and such chapters). Just an idea, so no complusion.

DS...again.

// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^

Last edited by Deathspector; 08-10-2006 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Kayden Javlaíakín Offline

I have now (finally) posted Evolution. So I´d be glad if people would take a look and give me some good, long reviews. Especially considering it´s the first time I´ve written in second-person and I want to know how horrible it is. :P

Link in siggy.

yeah yeah yeah
Old 08-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspector View Post
On the topic of beta, I say that we have a rule that anything that wants to be beta'd should be at least (such and such chapters) into the story, and whoever wants their story to be beta'd should show us (such and such chapters). Just an idea, so no complusion.
Yeah, I guess that works. But it shouldn't have to be posted, because that negates the whole purposed of betaing. Yeah, that might work.

I better take a look at Evolution now!
Old 08-11-2006, 02:17 AM
Th3DazeGrace Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Th3DazeGrace

When is this whole beta thing going to be up and running?

Thanks to Alice_the_dratini for the card
Old 08-11-2006, 02:42 AM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3DazeGrace View Post
When is this whole beta thing going to be up and running?
Well, I was going to wait until the end of WAR, but mabey I'll get it up tomorrow. I'll just go take a look at the ones at BG and PFU and maybe tomorrow, maybe.

Edit: That's it, it's going up tonight whether you like it or not! Right now, in fact...

Last edited by Sceptile Frost; 08-11-2006 at 03:20 AM.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:32 AM
Th3DazeGrace Offline
Amateur Trainer

Awesome, so how does it work again?

Old 08-11-2006, 04:22 AM
Th3DazeGrace Offline
Amateur Trainer

Hey Sceptile Frost, I fixed the first chapter and I was wondering, if you wanted to of course, to reveiw the rest of it so I can fix those chapters as well.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector

Quote:
Hey Sceptile Frost, I fixed the first chapter and I was wondering, if you wanted to of course, to reveiw the rest of it so I can fix those chapters as well.
Geez. Give the man a break. He has a lot of thing's going on right now. XD. He'll reply, don't worry. But Right now he's organizing the Beta Reader's thing. Oh, and don't double post...

DS

// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
Old 08-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
So, go over to the Beta Reader thread and read the rules for writers. (The link shall be in my siggy soon). If you have fill out the form correctly, I'll gladly do it for you.

(I sort of feel bad for frying your fic and making you want to stop it. Sorry)

Deathspector is now a beta reader too, by the way, if he posts his profile in the 'company.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:49 AM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orange_Flaaffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Gravity View Post
No arguement there, when I hit the 'net I just want a good time without any strings so it's more of a "do-what-I-gotta-do-then-leave" thing with me. So I'm to blame for the not looking at anyone's work thing myself. (That and grammar literary figures aren't my forte, I look for other things.)

I don't see the big deal with age. There is such a thing as natural talent and then there's the hardworkers. *shrugs* Anything after that is the persons own worlds getting in the way.

As far as feeling down thing goes... again, I just do what I wish. I write for the pure hobby of it, I love to get better (that's the blood of a gamer for you) but at the same time, I'm not looking for recognition or aspire to be some great writer. I keep going until I either lose interest or finish reguardless of the situation.
My writing is 10% age 110% hard work :P

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art
Old 08-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Kayden Javlaíakín Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptile Frost View Post
So, go over to the Beta Reader thread and read the rules for writers. (The link shall be in my siggy soon). If you have fill out the form correctly, I'll gladly do it for you.

(I sort of feel bad for frying your fic and making you want to stop it. Sorry)

Deathspector is now a beta reader too, by the way, if he posts his profile in the 'company.
Meh. I applied, as I told you I would. :P

I just added a TON of random stuff to my Story Archive, lol. XD

Oh yeah, I signed up for the Beta thing, so if anybody wants me to proofread their work, you can PM it to me. ;)

yeah yeah yeah

Last edited by Kayden Javlaíakín; 08-12-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Bay Offline
Master Trainer

Hehe, I saw that the beta company is working. I wish I could apply for it, but I can't for a couple of reasons:

-I am going to be in college soon and I am not sure if I will have time to look at someone's work.

-My grammar is fairly weak. I tried my best to correct my grammar on my works, but I am still learning about it.

I am going to have a fanfiction coming up pretty soon, so maybe I will probably have someone beta my fic to check some grammar mistakes.

+Nothing, Everything+

Chapter Thirteen: It's All a Contest up (12/28/08)
Old 08-13-2006, 12:02 AM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay View Post
Hehe, I saw that the beta company is working. I wish I could apply for it, but I can't for a couple of reasons:

-I am going to be in college soon and I am not sure if I will have time to look at someone's work.

-My grammar is fairly weak. I tried my best to correct my grammar on my works, but I am still learning about it.

I am going to have a fanfiction coming up pretty soon, so maybe I will probably have someone beta my fic to check some grammar mistakes.
That's okay. Anyway, you'll give us some business!