Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector
Default Re: Fan Fiction Chat/Feedback

Return of the Orange Flaafy. Welcome back. I hope we get more fanfics from you. Thank and good bye.XD

DS

// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
Old 08-29-2006, 05:27 PM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orange_Flaaffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspector View Post
Return of the Orange Flaafy. Welcome back. I hope we get more fanfics from you. Thank and good bye.XD

DS
I hope we do to..that is you will see more of Fable, I'm just not sure when. It's one of thoughs 'must be in really focused to write' sort of fics, I'm sure you have one of those to...
Next month I think I will be glued to Mystery Dungeon...Maybe I can come up with a good MD based short story to battle the wave of MD newbie fics I know will be washing over the internet like Surf ;).
Edit: What do you guys think of a fic set in the MD storyline about a character with a disablity? I have been meaning to write a story like that for sometime now, as I have cerebal palsy IRL and many authors seem to skip out on such ideas...

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art

Last edited by Orange_Flaaffy; 08-29-2006 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:51 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing

Heh, got the last part of Chapter One of Keepers of the Legends up, so go check it teh outness ^^. Hopefully the fic is coming along nicely to everyone. It's really fun to write, mixing together One Piece and Pokemon in a way that makes it seem natural.

And ZOMG, it's teh OF! *Huggles.* Welcome backness, ye of little being here-age lol.

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Old 08-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranitar_Trainer View Post
Heh, got the last part of Chapter One of Keepers of the Legends up, so go check it teh outness ^^. Hopefully the fic is coming along nicely to everyone. It's really fun to write, mixing together One Piece and Pokemon in a way that makes it seem natural.

And ZOMG, it's teh OF! *Huggles.* Welcome backness, ye of little being here-age lol.
I would like to be here more as well :( *la sigh*

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art
Old 08-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector

You know what? I like that idea about writing about a character with a disability. My mother teaches children with both mental and physical disabilities, and I hate it how they're overlooked by what one would call a "normal person". Anyway, that's me going into my ususal opinions. But yes, it would be a nice idea.

DS

// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
Old 08-30-2006, 05:07 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspector View Post
You know what? I like that idea about writing about a character with a disability. My mother teaches children with both mental and physical disabilities, and I hate it how they're overlooked by what one would call a "normal person". Anyway, that's me going into my ususal opinions. But yes, it would be a nice idea.

DS
Interesting grounds to write a fan fiction, but it would be pretty difficult and challenging. But, if I had to go with something like that, I would go with writing a story about a trainer who is deaf, but understands more through feeling. The only problem here is how would they give out commands during a battle? And it's also possible that they might not battle at all. This is where the plan needs strong consideration.

Being blind would have challenges of its own, but there have been cases where a person could develop so much sense and feeling for the surroundings around them that they know objects in space exist. I read a horror story where the main character was blind, and the author did such a great job of illustrating the fear the main character had when he suddenly realized the object he was holding was a human skull, having to feel it with his hands first before realizing it. Meanwhile, a character that can see already would simply pass that experience by in a flash and instantly identify what it was (unless of course it was pitch black). However, even in this kind of condition, it's still possible, as in that horror story example.

Being paralyzed from the waist down would still give you the prospect of someone that could be a trainer, and could still have a full Pokémon battle, even from a wheelchair. Going on a journey would be harder, climbing mountains would be impossible, and places that were once accessible by normal trainers would be more difficult for a person with this kind of disability. However, many of your journey options would still be available.

Hardest, no doubt, would be a mental disability, because simply put, there’s no way for us to know what its really like unless we were to go through that kind of thing ourselves. Take Down Syndrome for example, and you may have someone that may seem fine on the outside, but has difficultly learning and has delayed motor skills. Going on a journey, yes, would be possible but this would present harder challenges of its own for them. Meanwhile, writing a story about someone going through a severe level of retardation would be extremely difficult. Chances are, they wouldn’t be set out on their own since they need the constant supervision and care.

Overall, you have the right idea though, a story about someone with a disability overcoming challenges can be extremely emotionally powerful, and while it has been done in several movies on athletics and other situations, I have never seen in done in a Pokémon fan fiction.

I admire you for not only broadening your scope like that, but for also keeping these people in mind.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Interesting grounds to write a fan fiction, but it would be pretty difficult and challenging. But, if I had to go with something like that, I would go with writing a story about a trainer who is deaf, but understands more through feeling. The only problem here is how would they give out commands during a battle? And it's also possible that they might not battle at all. This is where the plan needs strong consideration.

Being blind would have challenges of its own, but there have been cases where a person could develop so much sense and feeling for the surroundings around them that they know objects in space exist. I read a horror story where the main character was blind, and the author did such a great job of illustrating the fear the main character had when he suddenly realized the object he was holding was a human skull, having to feel it with his hands first before realizing it. Meanwhile, a character that can see already would simply pass that experience by in a flash and instantly identify what it was (unless of course it was pitch black). However, even in this kind of condition, it's still possible, as in that horror story example.

Being paralyzed from the waist down would still give you the prospect of someone that could be a trainer, and could still have a full Pokémon battle, even from a wheelchair. Going on a journey would be harder, climbing mountains would be impossible, and places that were once accessible by normal trainers would be more difficult for a person with this kind of disability. However, many of your journey options would still be available.

Hardest, no doubt, would be a mental disability, because simply put, there’s no way for us to know what its really like unless we were to go through that kind of thing ourselves. Take Down Syndrome for example, and you may have someone that may seem fine on the outside, but has difficultly learning and has delayed motor skills. Going on a journey, yes, would be possible but this would present harder challenges of its own for them. Meanwhile, writing a story about someone going through a severe level of retardation would be extremely difficult. Chances are, they wouldn’t be set out on their own since they need the constant supervision and care.

Overall, you have the right idea though, a story about someone with a disability overcoming challenges can be extremely emotionally powerful, and while it has been done in several movies on athletics and other situations, I have never seen in done in a Pokémon fan fiction.

I admire you for not only broadening your scope like that, but for also keeping these people in mind.
Well, the thing is, I do have a disablity in real life, so it is not so much keeping those people in mind as being one of those people for me :). True, I do not have it bad enough to be in a wheelchair, but I feel at some level saying 'you have to be writing about someone who is deaf blind or in a wheelchair to even really be writing about a person with a disablity' is more than a little all or nothing set of ideas that were in a way made by the mindset of many writers who do not have disablities and only see the worst cases as 'real' and 'worth talking about' :(. I mean, I do need leg braces, help up steps and steep hills, I trip alot, I can't run etc etc...
I also have a mental handicapp and visial motor skills troubles, so I do know what those are like :)

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art

Last edited by Orange_Flaaffy; 08-30-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:38 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Sceptile Frost

Welcome back, Orange!

And by the way, I too was planning on doing something like that to. I'm a type 1 diabetic, and though it would still be possible to go on a journey, it would still be interesting to write about. Not like be diabetic is as bad as other stuff, but it still would be restricting, if so minorially.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:21 PM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

I think there is a big difference between writing something for dramatic effect about a big or small disability when you don't have one yourself and writing a story with a character with a disability big or small from your own personal exparice and having the emotions and challenges just naturally stem from your writing though your first hand viewpoint :)
A diabetic character would I think be very realistic to write about :)

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art

Last edited by Orange_Flaaffy; 08-30-2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:19 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing

Heh, well, my mom works with a mentally/handicapped home patient. She has diabetes, OCD, mental retardation, is morbidly obese (she can't walk two blocks without getting tired), schizophrenia...and I go with her house a lot to help Mom out with shopping or house cleaning and all that good stuff. Really, I could base a char off her if I wanted, but I think it might be harder for me to do since I haven't personally suffered any of these things.

Really, a person whose got complete health with no mental or physical handicaps could write a fic with an invalid main character. But I don't think it would be at all easy, and it would be very easy to get things wrong, not play the handicap right, all sorts of things. Not that I'm saying not to try it. On the contrary, I say go for it. Just do some research on whatever handicap you want to give your char. Even if you get a few things wrong, the experiece of writing through the eyes of someone whose got some sort of medical condition or another can greatly help you in your writing career, if you want to call it that lol.

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Old 08-31-2006, 05:04 AM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

After thinking alot about it, I think I will call my Pokemon: MD fic "Safety Orange" for many reasons, not the least of which is my love of orange but also MD teams link to colors and pokemon well being :).
I'll be writing the begaining of it soon, but I'm putting off plotting any of the really detailed missions untill I can really play the game. Still, in the mean time, I'd like to play around with the idea of the world on MD besides missions :)
What do you guys think of my idea? Would you be interested in reading it?
Edit: Anyone? *sniff*

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art

Last edited by Orange_Flaaffy; 08-31-2006 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:07 AM
Aurabolt Offline
New Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Aurabolt Send a message via MSN to Aurabolt Send a message via Yahoo to Aurabolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_Flaaffy View Post
After thinking alot about it, I think I will call my Pokemon: MD fic "Safety Orange" for many reasons, not the least of which is my love of orange but also MD teams link to colors and pokemon well being :).
I'll be writing the begaining of it soon, but I'm putting off plotting any of the really detailed missions untill I can really play the game. Still, in the mean time, I'd like to play around with the idea of the world on MD besides missions :)
What do you guys think of my idea? Would you be interested in reading it?
Edit: Anyone? *sniff*
I'll be honest in saying I'm very uneasy now that I realize the majority of readers here are almost half my age or something O.o

All that aside I am very dedicated to my work. One look through Pokemon World War should tell you that. I have Anonymous Reviews enabled so anyone can review ^_^

Seriously though: if you have a Fanfiction.net account you might want to track me in the coming weeks ;)

Aurabolt and Victor are looking for YOU...
Old 09-01-2006, 02:12 AM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Um, well I don't know what an ad for your work has to do with replying to say if you like my idea and will read it or not but ...
I am 23 so there are a few older members here that write
Most of the good (or better) fic readers are sixteen or older at PE2K...

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art
Old 09-01-2006, 02:25 AM
HondoomMaster Offline

Send a message via AIM to HondoomMaster
Talking Re: Fan Fiction Chat/Feedback

Hey everyone whats up? Well I just posted Chapter 3 to Journey, I know weird title for a fic, but I have reasons. I hope anyone who is reading it caught a couple foreshawdoing I have put in the past two chapters. Well I hope everyone enjoys reading it.

But speaking of enjoying reading, I am reading NeoPikachu's Pokemon Rescue story and all I can say is amazing, its caught my attention and it shows a whole different side of NP.

I am also reading RocketsMeowth's fan fic and also amazing. You started the whole Pokemon Rescue fic thing and you have done a great job.

There are other fics I am reaidng, but those two I am following on a constant day to day thing.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:24 AM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Well, it was only a matter of time before the Rescue topic became a plotline in fanfic, Rocket was just lucky enough to get to it first ;).
I really need to print out RocketMeowth's and and Neo's new fics and read them...

It won't be long now before there are D/P fics, but I think I will start writing a MD Rescue fic anyway since the storyline just has more detail to work with, and varies so much from the normal pokemon journey idea..

Other than that Fable will keep me busy :) I think I will get whole chapters done before I post them from now on...

It's funny, I wonder if the idea for the MD pokemon game came from a japanese fanfic where they had their character become a pokemon :3

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art