Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Interactive Boards Creative Writing Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:39 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
íCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat
Default Re: Fan Fiction Chat/Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_Flaaffy View Post
I go to the 3rd page :).
Anyway, the saddest thing is to me that 'so and so and so and so go on a journey' fics could actually be very fun to read even if the plot was'nt the most intresting in the world if the characters were likeable. but too many authors use cookie cutter character types:
A gary/mary stu, or a gloomy goth, or a bitter boy beaten by his parents, , or someone that hates pokemon but somehow ends up with one anyway, or a copy of the author themself without any of the bad parts of their real nature (which is even worst than a gary stu to me, becuase they normally put in a bunch of inside jokes which only their friends know about and make no sense to the reader).
I go to the 3rd page, too. :P

I agree with what you said. I can actually enjoy a journey/trainer fic if the author would think outside of the box. trainer/journey are one of my favorites because you get a lot of chances to devolop the character and their pokemon.

There are bunch of "kid got beaten, kid got pokemon, kid tries to forget past and be the best they can be". It's been done already but n00bs don't seem to get that and they try to do it themselves with perfect mary/gary-sue characters (a mirror image of themselves excecpt without the bad parts) in oh so original "mary is late, goes and finds out all pokemon are gone except for the powerful uber pokemon".

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 07-30-2007, 05:54 AM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orange_Flaaffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomKat7 View Post
I go to the 3rd page, too. :P

I agree with what you said. I can actually enjoy a journey/trainer fic if the author would think outside of the box. trainer/journey are one of my favorites because you get a lot of chances to devolop the character and their pokemon.

There are bunch of "kid got beaten, kid got pokemon, kid tries to forget past and be the best they can be". It's been done already but n00bs don't seem to get that and they try to do it themselves with perfect mary/gary-sue characters (a mirror image of themselves excecpt without the bad parts) in oh so original "mary is late, goes and finds out all pokemon are gone except for the powerful uber pokemon".
One of these days, one of these days I shall finally write my 'sister of one of the lesser known Team Rocket members (code named Jenga) goes on a quest to build a name for herself by becoming a well known theif while posing as a normal everyday sweet trainer with a mareep the size of a kitten (nicknamed Parcheesi ) ' fic. I have had that idea for yeeeears now and I finally think I may have enough skill to write it well :3. It's working title was Rocket Quest *lol*

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art

Last edited by Orange_Flaaffy; 07-30-2007 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:58 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
íCon ganas!

Quote:
One of these days, one of these days I shall finally write my 'sister of one of the lesser known Team Rocket members goes on a quest to build a name for herself by becoming a well known theif while posing as a normal everyday sweet trainer with a mareep the size of a kitten' fic. I have had that idea for yeeeears now and I finally think I may have enough skill to write it well :3. It's working title was Rocket Quest *lol*
I think you should go for it, it would certainly be better than the journey/trainer fics that have been popping up lately.

There's stories about rocket agents, there's stories about sweet trainers, but I haven't seen them merged yet.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:05 AM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Quote:
I think you should go for it, it would certainly be better than the journey/trainer fics that have been popping up lately.

There's stories about rocket agents, there's stories about sweet trainers, but I haven't seen them merged yet.
*lol* Well, it *has* to be better than the first trainer fic I ever wrote when I was fourteen, here is part of it :P. It only goes to show anyone can get better in ten years (which is how old this is;)

Quote:
I'm 12 years old.

Today I would be starting my PokËmon journey.

Now I know what your thinking "Why so late?"

Well Mom had tried to discourage me from going by holding me back two years.

She said it was because she was afraid I'd get hurt. I knew the real reason tought!

It was because I 'm a girl, and she didn't think I could handle PokËmon trading!

I stomped around my room; biding a fond farewell to my stuffed Jigglypuff and played my SNES one last time, pounding on the controller. Just she wait; I'd show her!

Going down the stairs, I found Mom bent over the dining room table with a HUGE box of kleenex. My heart sank a little at the guilt trip.

" Right. All boys leave home someday. It said so on TV." She sniffed

My guilt turned to puzzlement.

"Um, Mom I'm a girl." Mom stopped crying for a mulisecond to look up.

"Oh. Sorry Honey. Anyway Prof. Oak, next door is looking for you."

"Okay Mom." I went outside.

Our town of Pallet is small. No, I mean REALLY small.

Some say it's because it now cost so much to live here since Prof. Oak moved his lab to Pallet; long before I was born.

I glanced up and down the drab street, reading the same drab sign I'd read every day since I knew how: PALLET TOWN: SHADES OF YOUR JOURNEY AWAIT!

I'd always thought that sign had been put up in honor of Mimi, because she was Oak's granddaughter, the only other girl in our town, and everyone's favorite to boot.

We two had been rails for as long as long as I could remember too.

Always, same age, same height, Me: with my renown 'scraggly' appearance of a cut off blue shirt with jean shorts; and my green eyes ; frizzy blonde hair I always wore in a long braid, and Little Miss. Perfect Mimi: curly brown hair, blue eyes and that pink dress she always wears with butterflies on it (I hate pink!!)

(I'll show HER too!) I thought happily, heading over to Prof. Oak's lab.

As soon as I came tough the door I knew something was wrong. The lab was uneasily quite for this time of day. Two guys were standing around the front lab area and stared blankly at me. Was a girl being in a PokËmon research lab THAT weird? I went up to the first guy. He smiled numbly, still staring at me from behind goggled glasses and said:

"I study PokËmon as Prof. Oak's aide." (He snapped out of the trance, going back to his work)

"Okaaaay..that was weird...." I said to myself "Maybe this guy over here..."

(Who by some freak act of nature looked just like the other guy)

He grinned, giving me the same weird stare and said: "I study PokËmon as Prof. Oaks aide."

I turned, feeling like I was in some freaked out Twilight Zone rerun.

"I just want a PokËmon!" I yelled, hearing my voice echo though the lab

Then I saw a girl grinning quite normally to the left of me..maybe..

"Do you know where Pro. Oak is?" I asked her She grinned wider and said: "Prof. Oak is the authority on PokËmon! Many PokËmon trainers hold him in high regard!"

"ARGG!" I finally exploded " I've known him for my whole LIFE! I already know that! Now for the last time: WHERE IS PRO. OAK?!!!!"

I stormed into the back laboratory to see a unwelcome site : Mimi.

She gave me her famous, "Oh-Aren't-I-Just-The-Cutesyest-Thing-On-The-Planet-You-Poor- Lowly- Creature?"(TM), half smile.
The funny thing is, even though it is awful, you can still see my style that is my authors tone even now...It just got older ;)

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art

Last edited by Orange_Flaaffy; 07-30-2007 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:24 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
íCon ganas!

It's true that even though you wrote this when you were fourteen it sill holds your writing style (funny and not so serious although not in an obnixious, sugra coated kinda way). It just goes to show that when you love to do something, practicing and practicing makes you better.

LOL I get so annoyed when n00bs say, "How do you expcet me to write like that?! I'm only -insert age here-! I'll just give up on this!" They don't get that if you take advice from other authors and keep on writing, that'll you'll eventually get it. [/end after school special]

Old 07-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Sceptile Frost

Yep, all the n00bs, they're like "Well I don't have enough skill yet." The only way to get more skill is to write and fail and learn.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Hoshika Offline

@Orange Flaffy: "I study PokÚmon as Prof. Oak's aide. I study PokÚmon as Prof. Oak's aide. I study PokÚmon as Prof. Oak's aide." It would be funny if she kept talking to them... nice fic part thingy. "All boys leave home someday." XDD

@Sceptile: Mostly failing. You gotta find the idea that just seems to stick, the one that tells you every single hour of every single day, "WRITE ME! WRITE MEEE!!" I've been through it before, and some of the ideas lie. D=

Anyways, back to my fic topic...

The first Sonic-perspective chapter is going to be up in a few minutes. If I don't get lazy and forget. XP
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:43 PM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Quote:
It's true that even though you wrote this when you were fourteen it sill holds your writing style (funny and not so serious although not in an obnixious, sugra coated kinda way). It just goes to show that when you love to do something, practicing and practicing makes you better.

LOL I get so annoyed when n00bs say, "How do you expcet me to write like that?! I'm only -insert age here-! I'll just give up on this!" They don't get that if you take advice from other authors and keep on writing, that'll you'll eventually get it. [/end after school special]
Everyone starts badly :). You just don't spring up a good author overnight (and anyone who says they did is lieing ;) )
The thing is, even though I started badly I did not post most of those bad starts on a live forum and push topics back, I posted them on FF.net...
To me a fic posted on a forum has to be a higher grade than just any fanfic you post on the internet, becuase you are taking up space on a very small front page that has Golden Laws Against Bumping To Get Your Fic Seen :).
But what really gets my goat (or sheep?) is paragraph long chapters :P. These are not the Nsider forums (thank goodness) -.-

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art
Old 07-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Hoshika Offline

Quote:
Everyone starts badly :). You just don't spring up a good author overnight (and anyone who says they did is lieing ;) )
The thing is, even though I started badly I did not post most of those bad starts on a live forum and push topics back, I posted them on FF.net...
To me a fic posted on a forum has to be a higher grade than just any fanfic you post on the internet, becuase you are taking up space on a very small front page that has Golden Laws Against Bumping To Get Your Fic Seen :).
But what really gets my goat (or sheep?) is paragraph long chapters :P. These are not the Nsider forums (thank goodness) -.-
Bah. Fanfics on Nsider suck terribly, and there's too many LoZ fics on there (when are they going to realize it's cliche?!). Most are nooby. When you dig down and find the Pokémon fics, it's just another Mary-Sue. -_-;

[I goofed off for an hour. Back to posting and banner making. X_x]
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:

Old 07-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshika View Post
Bah. Fanfics on Nsider suck terribly, and there's too many LoZ fics on there (when are they going to realize it's cliche?!). Most are nooby. When you dig down and find the Pokémon fics, it's just another Mary-Sue. -_-;

[I goofed off for an hour. Back to posting and banner making. X_x]
*lol* I posted my fic there once :P. I think I could nearly hear their minds blowing up since I only got a few comments and they called me a 'god' O.o
I was like 'you know there is a whole world of pokemon fic out there where the author works more than a week on each chapter.'
I think they thought I was lying...I need to go and take that topic down:P...
Bah, it won't let you detete topics O.o Oh well, no one looks at topics more than two days old there anyway :P

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art

Last edited by Orange_Flaaffy; 07-30-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Hoshika Offline

Quote:
*lol* I posted my fic there once :P. I think I could nearly hear their minds blowing up since I only got a few comments and they called me a 'god' O.o
I was like 'you know there is a whole world of pokemon fic out there where the author works more than a week on each chapter.'
I think they thought I was lying...I need to go and take that topic down:P...
XDDD

The finest stuff is hidden in the FOTW. I won't dare to put any fics there until they're finished. It's too bothersome to bump it after it's been drowned in the giant tidal wave of n00btastic Zelda/Super Smash Bros. fics. =P

Quote:

Old 07-30-2007, 06:36 PM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshika View Post
XDDD

The finest stuff is hidden in the FOTW. I won't dare to put any fics there until they're finished. It's too bothersome to bump it after it's been drowned in the giant tidal wave of n00btastic Zelda/Super Smash Bros. fics. =P
If your fic is posted anywhere else on the web you are not allowed to be in the FOTW :P.
Well, to make matters worst you are not allowed to make hubs or listings of the posted fanfics so no one can find anything worthwhile to read ether -.-

Thank goodness for PE2K *hugs it*

Lazy writer's request (wellnot that lazy becuase the scene will take a lot of detail and emotion to write once I get to it) :
What is the best type pokemon to go up against a pure water and pure fire type?
Idealy a very large pokemon who is not a legend or a dragon type, and can withstand both surf and fire (fill in the blank with your favorite godly fire move name here)?
I'm just gathering ideas for something :3

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art

Last edited by Orange_Flaaffy; 07-30-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Bay Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Lazy writer's request (wellnot that lazy becuase the scene will take a lot of detail and emotion to write once I get to it) :
Idealy a very large pokemon who is not a legend or a dragon type, and can withstand both surf and fire (fill in the blank with your favorite godly fire move name here)?
Is it for that Pokemon battle scene one shot contest? Need to start mines soon...^^;

Well, I check out the type chart of my Pokemon Diamond and Pearl guide book and here is what I can be able to pinpoint:

Types that are not very effective against both Fire and Water : Fire, Ice, and Steel.

So yeah, don't use those types! XD

Types that are both not "very effective" or "not very effective" against both Fire and Water: Normal, Fighting, Poision, Flying, Psychic, Ghost, Dark.

Those ones could be your best bet, though I would chose either Dark or Psychic.

Anyways, at the moment I am going to try to finish "Nothing, Everythng" before uni starts and then during uni I will edit some scenes and such before I post the chapters here.

Oh, and silverfrost: read both of the chapters, quite good. Will try to do the review tonight when I can. ^^

+Nothing, Everything+

Chapter Thirteen: It's All a Contest up (12/28/08)

Last edited by Bay; 07-30-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:31 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
íCon ganas!

Quote:
If your fic is posted anywhere else on the web you are not allowed to be in the FOTW :P.
Well, to make matters worst you are not allowed to make hubs or listings of the posted fanfics so no one can find anything worthwhile to read ether -.-

Thank goodness for PE2K *hugs it*

The only that comes to mine is an electric pokemon but ignore me, I suck at cmoning up with pokemon for battles. ^^;

Yeah... Chapter 2 of Destiny's Tag is up and running so....

READ!

-eye twitch- :P

Old 07-30-2007, 11:02 PM
Hoshika Offline

Chapter 3 of Crossing Dimensions is finally up... it was up a few hours ago, but I forgot to post an announcement. >_>

Quote: