Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 12-19-2005, 05:20 AM
Finglonger Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Finglonger
Default Howard Stern and the FCC

Yeah as Im sure most of you know Howard stern has now made the decision to switch from FM radio to sirius sattelite radio. The move came after Stern, tired of FCC(Federal communications Commission, responsible for keeping indecency off the public airwaves) fines and restricitons on what he could or could not say decided that he would take sitrius up on their offer of employment.

But howard stern getting in trouble with the FCC is nothing new, but last year, something changed. The FCC, responsible for keeping indecency off the public airwaves, hit him with a $495,000 fine in April.

My question to you all is has Mr. stern taken things too far? or is he the victim here? I mean is he no guaranteed freedom of speech?

My opinion....people are free to turn the dial, and listen to something else whenever they want. Its the old slippery slope, if they silence Howard who will they go after next? Now do I like Howard Stern? No, not particularly, but that doesn't matter, because at any time I can excercize my right to listen to something else. To me Howard stern is an honest man, honest in the sense that he doesnt fear anybody, he'll say whatever he wants. hes got a lot of bravado, I'll give him that. I respect him for his frankness, but not for his viewpoints. I defend him purely on constitutional grounds, with respect to the rights that I enjoy, and hope to keep enjoying.

As for the FCC. Its a damn shame that we have morality police patrolling our airwaves, shutting down programs that they deem indecent. What is Morality anyways? Its a personal viewpoint, an opinion, nothing more.

anyways thats my spiel for now, I realy want to get all of your opinions though. So pour them on to your keyboard and lets see what we come up with. : P
Old 12-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Surly Professor Offline
Monsterous
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Default Re: Howard stern and the FCC

Yeah, I've been following this issue for a couple years now.
I hear about 7 hours of talk radio a day at work, so I hear all about just how confusing the FCC is trying to make it for the MCs. The rules are as vague as possible & seem to change on a daily basis.

It's the FCCs fault because how do they expect anyone to follow the rules when no one can interperpret them? They're doing it on purpose so they can just deside if something is "inappropriate" to them or not.

You're exactly right about being able to turn the dial. There's not a radio made without one. So if you are listening to it, it's by choice. You have the choice to turn it if you don't like it. So people who like it should have the choice to listen if they wish. It makes me angry when I think about it because I don't want anyone telling what I can & can't listen too. And no one, NO ONE should be told what they can & can't say. He is not using any of the seven deadly words or talking in a way that is not allowed in other media outlets so he is not violating the the law.

Did you hear the tape of Oprah where she was talking about the exact same thing in the exact same terms as Howard did but she did not get fined? I'ld say that's a clear indication that this is selective prosecution. Shame on you FCC, shame.

The good can decay many ways.
The good candy came anyways.

Old 12-21-2005, 12:23 AM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000
Default Re: Howard Stern and the FCC

Well, it's a difficult issue. I'm glad that Howard Stern is now "free" on sattelite radio, but it is the FCC's job to keep the airwaves clean. I completely agree with the point, just turn the dial if you don't like it, but this is done mostly for the kids. As adults, you expect adults to just not listen if they don't want to listen (I don't get why people are complaining if they don't have to listen). But again, the kids, which is the key point here. Maybe parenting would help, but I think it's a little different than restricting kids from seeing a R rated movie or buying a violent video game.

FCC's fault? Sure, you could put it that way, but it's the people we vote for that make what the FCC is today. So there's more people that you can blame, heh.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:59 AM
Surly Professor Offline
Monsterous
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Yeah, kids...
I get that because it's just out in the open air, and not a pay service like cable you do have to regulate it more strictly. But it's the regulations that are the problem. They are not well defined at all. So they can really point to almost anything they want and call it indecent. And the way they are going after some people for "offences" and not others for doing the same is hypocrisy by definition.

I wish it was the people I voted for. I don't think this would be an issue if it was.

Anyways... are any of you getting Sirius?
Somehow I don't think the show will be as good. A big part of the fun was the double entendre, and all the funny language fenagling that they had to do to get the message across.

The good can decay many ways.
The good candy came anyways.

Old 12-21-2005, 01:17 AM
Nasty Plasty Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Nasty Plasty Send a message via MSN to Nasty Plasty

My dad and I listened to Howard Stern. Ever since I remember they've been giving him problems. He's the victim here. Those are all bloated up fines. I little kids won't even listen to it because it's boring. If parents let their kids listen to it it's their fault. Nobody is responsible for this but the parents! They let their kids listen to it. They do
"It's Just Wrong" and the mother makes a phone call to the radio station. They make complaints the FCC comes and then they fine the MC. This is because THE PARENTS let their LITTLE KIDS liten to that and then THEY BLAME IT ON THE MC and then the FFC COMES IN AND DOES OUTRAGEOUS FINES! JUST TO GET THEM A NEW POOL OR SOME JEWELRY AND JUNK!!!
Old 12-21-2005, 01:19 AM
Finglonger Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Finglonger

yeah i agree, parents shouldnt allow their kids to listen to a show like that, but it happens, parents can't be monitoring their children 24/7, its impossible.

and also i totally agree with you professor, half the fun of listening ot his radio show was knowing that he was pushing the envelope...now that he can do whatever he wants, it sort of takes away from what he created....its too bad.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:23 AM
Nasty Plasty Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Nasty Plasty Send a message via MSN to Nasty Plasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finglonger
yeah i agree, parents shouldnt allow their kids to listen to a show like that, but it happens, parents can't be monitoring their children 24/7, its impossible.

and also i totally agree with you professor, half the fun of listening ot his radio show was knowing that he was pushing the envelope...now that he can do whatever he wants, it sort of takes away from what he created....its too bad.
Yeah for some reason things are way cooler when it gets somebody in trouble. On day when nobody in my class gets in trouble it feels really slow. But when someone does get in trouble it is a lot better. So ya Howard Stern was one of the "American Badasses" when he was on Public Radio. But now he is just an MC who does outrageous things.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:16 PM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Alakazam

I really think that the FCC have overstepped their bounds here, as they have done numerous times in recent years. The FCC shouldn't be making up for bad parenting in America - that's not their job.

As for Stern, I do really think that the endless fines against him are very unfair. I wouldn't call myself a fan of his show or anything, but I have heard him a few times, and he seems to regularly address the issue on the airwaves (or, he did on FM), and he does bring up some good points in his defense. For example, he's not the only raunchy radio personality on FM, there are countless others, some even worse than Stern. If the FCC really wants to clean off the airwaves, its clear that they need to change their gameplan, because nothing is being done about the other djs, not even the ones that are worse than Stern. He also claims that the FCC first started fining him when he began to speak out against President Bush on his show. Coincidence? I doubt it.

The thing that really condemns Stern is that the majority of the public don't like his show (find him disgusting, etc.), and so they don't care whether or not the fines against him are justified or not.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.