Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 04-17-2004, 04:56 AM
Riot Offline
New Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Riot
Default The "What Makes a Good Game" Survey

Please answer all parts of the question label A B and C, I am making a game, I could really use your opinions. Thank you very very much. I will inform you when its done, that is, if I complete it, and not delete it in frusteration. I think you will find this survey kind of fun, and yes I will consider your responses in what I make, I already have a solid engine down for the game. Any further questions email me at Bigboomingsound@aol.com. Thanks

1) A)What is your favorite type of game and why? B)How important is the music and the graphics in video games? C)If you could make your own, ideal game, what would it be like? Explain in full detail. =

2) A)What is your favorite game of all time, and why? What gameplay features made it your number 1? B) What gameplay features would you like to see in games (anything, bullettime etc. ,just explain)? =

3) A)What makes a "cool" character? B)What is more important: the story, the gameplay, the graphics, the music, or the feeling of a game. And why?:

Alright, go ahead, answer. Ty
Old 04-17-2004, 10:34 AM
Thunderbird Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via MSN to Thunderbird
Default Re: The "What Makes a Good Game" Survey

1) A)What is your favorite type of game and why?
RPG. Becoz i like being a character in the story and solve the problems/seek challenges.

B)How important is the music and the graphics in video games?
Very important. One element to impress u to buy the game.

C)If you could make your own, ideal game, what would it be like? Explain in full detail.
Probably another Pokemon RPG.

2) A)What is your favorite game of all time, and why? What gameplay features made it your number 1?
Pokemon. Nice music/story.(RBY) A long story, a lot pokemon, and two places: Kanto & Johto (GSC) Nice graphics. (RS) Ideal concept that u can catch monsters in balls and once u capture they'll be at your command.

B) What gameplay features would you like to see in games (anything, bullettime etc., just explain)? =
in RPG, 1) Realistic 2) make u involved in the game

3) A)What makes a "cool" character?
Cool style & hairstyle like Ash/Red or Gary. =P
B)What is more important: the story, the gameplay, the graphics, the music, or the feeling of a game. And why?
Story. A boring story won't hook u to continue playing it i suppose.

Current team:
Old 04-17-2004, 12:04 PM
boltAge Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boltAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
Please answer all parts of the question label A B and C, I am making a game, I could really use your opinions. Thank you very very much. I will inform you when its done, that is, if I complete it, and not delete it in frusteration. I think you will find this survey kind of fun, and yes I will consider your responses in what I make, I already have a solid engine down for the game. Any further questions email me at Bigboomingsound@aol.com. Thanks

Role Playing Games. I like the fun of levelling up, going through a cool storyline to finally reach the end.
Very Important (=P)
C)If you could make your own, ideal game, what would it be like? Explain in full detail. =

A Role-Playing game, preferbaly named "Darkness Well: The Monster That Hops Out...". You are a boy in the village. You're celebrating your 21st Birthday. When you go to the village's new well to get some water, you are dragged in by the monster... The Monster felt a strange aura in you(You are borned with Holy Powers, but you never knew them, neither did your parents), so it didn't dare to harm you. It released you into an ocean faraway. You then drifted to a dock. Your new home. Well, a new temporary home. You then have to find your way home, on your way, you realise the powers you hold, thus, making you a special one. You happily reach home after a long journey, only to see that the Monster has taken the lives of everybody in your village, and he has released purple grub to cover the village. You must find a way to get across this purple grub, to reach the well you were dragged in...AND defeat the monster that caused you so much harm.

2) A)What is your favorite game of all time, and why? What gameplay features made it your number 1?
Hmm...Don't really have one, but Advance Wars: Black Hole Rising got me hooked up for a loooong time. It was a strategy game, but it had a storyline too, thus, it was very fun exploring strategies and completing the missions. I still suck at it though
B) What gameplay features would you like to see in games (anything, bullettime etc. ,just explain)? =
The ability to soar -_- I've always wanted to fly in the clouds with my character, maybe I had to do something to obtain some magic boots or someothing, and I then have the ability to soar in the air. That'd be nice.
Or the ability to change your look. Most games don't allow you to change your look. Rather stupid, and boring.

Definitely not like Ash. Definitely not wearing some kind of geek cap, with trousers worn so high you look like some kind of nerd. A cool character would be a teenage boy, he has some semi-long hair which covers the side of his face. He always wear a pair of purple sunglasses, and a dark shirt and bermudas. Spiked boots to be able to walk through the snow.
B)What is more important: the story, the gameplay, the graphics, the music, or the feeling of a game. And why?:
Every one of them. The game sucks if it fail in ANY of the sections.

Old 04-18-2004, 02:28 AM
art Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to art Send a message via MSN to art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
Story. A boring story won't hook u to continue playing it i suppose.
true. VERY true, though I can't stand games without good graphics. they don't have to be great, just decent.

Btw, I still think Golden Sun is one of the greatest RPGs in game history.

miyavi is the hotness
Old 04-18-2004, 02:46 AM
Matt & Vulpix Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Matt & Vulpix Send a message via Yahoo to Matt & Vulpix

RPG and Strategy. A Strategy game really works your mind and isn't useless. You have to think of what you're doing and how etc. RPG however is a challenge, because it's not always easy to beat a game like that. They also can become quite classic.

Very. Music makes the game go round. There's a VERY different effect when you see a cinematic of someone murdering someone else with or without music. Trust me :P. Graphics are important in MOST games; I mean, you don't want to have to clean your eyes with soap to play the game. But, some games don't need high quality graphics for enjoyment (such as ANIMAL CROSSING).

C)If you could make your own, ideal game, what would it be like? Explain in full detail.
A game that takes you away from your reality. One that gets your right in it... I can't really explain my ideal game, because there isn't one. A game can only be perfect in the eyes of the beholder, and no one has the same eyes.

Super Mario RPG. It's the first RPG I ever played, and it'll always remain good in my eyes. I don't know quite what set it apart, however.

B) What gameplay features would you like to see in games (anything, bullettime etc. ,just explain)? =
Almost everything's been done. I just want to see something fresh, never-done before. Revolutional, even. Like Animal Crossing, the first game in real time (i think). That was different and it set it apart from other games.

One that you can become emotionally attached to (i.e. Aeris Gainsbourgh, FFVII)

B)What is more important: the story, the gameplay, the graphics, the music, or the feeling of a game. And why?:
Not quite sure. Hm, to me, they are all equally important; a game without a story isn't that good, or a good without music sucks, or a game that seems forced without a feel isn't good. They are all important, in their own way. I prefer to have a developped storyline, though.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Shael Offline
Master Trainer

1.) A.)
I actually have two types that I can't decide between. RPG's and Strategy/RTS. I like RPG's because they can take every concept of gaming (gameplay, story, graphics, etc.) and put it to the max. Fighting and racing games usually lack story, Strategy/RTS usually lack graphics, etc. Also I just like plain powering up my characters by leveling and buying them new weapons and armor and whatever.
I like Strategy/RTS games because it takes immense skill, and you can always get better. And even if you are the best you can still be beat by someone else. Also these games have insane replay value (I've been playing Starcraft: Brood War since it came out and I just stopped a few months ago because all my friends quit).

1.) B.)
Music is and has always been extremely important to gaming for me. It helps me get into the feel of the game. Music is the 2nd half of why I like FFVIII so much (the first half being story/plot). It's one of the few games that I actually listen to its music when I'm not playing the game. Like I said before, music helps you to experience the game. A Final Fantasy boss battle just wouldn't be the same without the intense music getting your adrenaline going. Or the ending of Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time would be weak without the sad and memorable tunes of Zelda's Lullaby. I'd say music is most important in RPG's and Adventure games. But in sports games and such it might not be as big a necesity.
Graphics are important, but highly overrated. The reason I think Warcraft III isn't as good as it should be is because its graphics are too good for a Strategy game. It makes everything more confusing. Good graphics are often part of a good game, especially Adventure, Racing, and FPS, but in most other types, it's not as necessary as people make it to be.

1.) C.)
I don't have the knowledge and creativity to create a game, and I am absolutely clueless of what impresses and attracts gamers so I can't say anything here.

2.) A.)
I have 3 that I can't say which is better because each excel in a specific area. Those three are Starcraft: Brood War, Super Smash Bros: Melee, and Final Fantasy VIII. If I had to choose one though I'd probably say Starcraft: Brood War because many of my friends were into it and that just made it that much more fun to play. SC: BW's good features are plenty, so I'll just list the ones it lacks. I think its music could've used some improvement. The other thing is graphics, but I wouldn't really say so because of two reasons: 1. This is quite an old game and they didn't have the best of technologies back then. 2. Like I said with WCIII, complex graphics just make Strategy games confusing.

2.) B.)
Games are fine the way they are now, but I've always wanted better AI. Not always harder, but more human-like. It's too easy to predict what computer controlled opponents are gonna do in just about any game you're playing. Either that or it's totally random. I also would like to see things more realistic in towns and such (like people act like what they would act like in real life, not just have a certain path they walk around forever, and say the same lines). That would be extremely hard to do though, and if I'm not mistaken, that's what Animal Crossing is and that takes up a whole game. So my general comment is make computers more realistic and human-like.

3.) A.)
Sorry, I can't answer this, it's waaaay too vague of a question.

3.) B.)
This is also kinda vague, as it depends on the type of game. For example, a fighting game's most important aspect would be its feeling. An RPG's would probably be story, and a Strategy game would need good gameplay.
But generally I'd choose the feeling. Why? Because it covers graphics, music, story, and gameplay. Obviously graphics and music contribute to the feeling. The story also sets the feeling of the game (like Pokemon has a different feeling story-wise than something else, say, Golden Sun). Gameplay is kinda hard to explain why it's included in feeling, but don't you feel more involved in a game if its gameplay is better? I think so, at least.

Phew, there ya go, that was pretty darn long =P
Old 04-19-2004, 12:56 AM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi

1)
A: Shooting RPGs, 1st or 3rd person, I dont care. These are just about the only games I buy for my comp, which cant take really big adventure games or real good 3D animation.
B: Music makes a lot in the game, what you hear, what you torture your parents in the car with (In a GBA's case) is pretty important (*Snicker*). Graphics make up a lot too. I cant play Dark Forces now because the graphics suck SOOO bad, it scares me.
C: Most likely a very LOOONG Pokemon GBA game that tells about Ash's adventures and follows the anime perfectly (Which would be a hard game to make).
2)
A: I have 3: SW: DF 2: Jedi Knight, PKMN Colosseum, and SSB Melee.
B: In Pokemon games, Pokemon SOMEHOW have the ability to dodge an attack like in the anime, and maybe even BEING the Pokemon.
3)
A: Some one kinda like Wes from colosseum, or like Samus from Metroid.
B: All, it is every little detail that makes the game for me.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:35 AM
masaki Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via MSN to masaki

Quote:

1) A)What is your favorite type of game and why? B)How important is the music and the graphics in video games? C)If you could make your own, ideal game, what would it be like? Explain in full detail. =

2) A)What is your favorite game of all time, and why? What gameplay features made it your number 1? B) What gameplay features would you like to see in games (anything, bullettime etc. ,just explain)? =

3) A)What makes a "cool" character? B)What is more important: the story, the gameplay, the graphics, the music, or the feeling of a game. And why?:

1-
a-RPG's because of the battle system
b-music doesn't matter but the graphics have to be at leats 6 bit or the game will suck.
c-Well I am making a game. Its about a guy named Masaki (me lol) with his 2 friends Kai and Pyro (2 of my friends) They are on a journey to save the world from satan. (they don't know about the journey untill after they beat the second out of 5 bosses.

2-
a-FF tactics advance, the gameply uses strategy. I'm good at startegy. lol
b-walk around type. not like follow the story and only get to move in battle (a fault of FF tactics advance)

3-
a-looks,weapon,additude
b-everything except the music. Those are needed to make a good game. You may ask why graphics is one I picked then. If it is too foggy it will affect gameplay. Music doesn't really matter. But you still need sound effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by art
true. VERY true, though I can't stand games without good graphics. they don't have to be great, just decent.

Btw, I still think Golden Sun is one of the greatest RPGs in game history.
Golden Sun is pretty cool.
---
I think graphics should be at least 6 bit . Or at least clear in all games.

Last edited by masaki; 04-21-2004 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:57 PM
Seven Offline

Quote:

A) RPG, because you get to be someone in the game. You actually participate, walk around and have freedom of choosing where to go.
B) Very important. Music gives feeling to a game. It makes you feel the situation. Graphics are also important, to make it a party to play.
C) RPG. You could walk around freely. When you lose to a boss, you don't have to start over, but the story develops differently. Interesting characters. Mysteries, lots of mini-games. Good story, with dramatic turns.

A)What is your favorite game of all time, and why? What gameplay features made it your number 1?
Final Fantasy 9. The music, the characters, the drama, all the small things add up. And of course, Vivi XD.

The fact that you can't go game over, but the story'll develop differently when you win/lose.

A) Storyline, history, powers.
B) All those things combined, but story and music tied first. Story and music make you a part of the game, the rest doesn't IMO.

Old 04-23-2004, 03:13 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:

A) RPGs.
B) The music CAN make or break the game. It can also enhance the game experience. Something that goes with the theme of the current moment should always be used. Graphics, it doesn't have to be super high-quality. Should be the last thing on the developer's mind.
C) RPG, composite of an 8-man party and having X characters out at the same time to fight. You are allowed to fully customize a character with standard job classes and other magic items that can teach them new moves if equipped. Need a very deep storyline, the deepness of it cannot be shallow at all, meaning one should figure some stuff out on his own, and not be spoon-fed like every single new RPG game to date. Basically a well done story. The battle system I'm thinking more of the traditional Crono Trigger type. In addition, summoning should be cool.

A) I think it's likely FF7 or Crono Trigger, because they were very well done. The active/wait system in both games have perfected this battle system. Tho this is then lost in FF-X2...
B) That same battle system.

A) Character development. It's important, very important. You can make a cool looking character easily, but giving him the backbone makes him really cool.
B) Story first, then gameplay, then the mood/feel, then music (goes with the mood/feel), and last the graphics.

Old 04-26-2004, 01:45 AM
Sidney Offline
New Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Sidney

1) A)What is your favorite type of game and why?Adenture for the cool environments, RPG for addictiveness, and platformer for retroness B)How important is the music and the graphics in video games? Very important if the game wants to apeal to the eyes and ears C)If you could make your own, ideal game, what would it be like? Explain in full detail. = just for the heck of it, a Super Smash Bros RPG, because all Nintendo's characters have awesome powers that if put together could make a real juggernaut.

2) A)What is your favorite game of all time, and why? What gameplay features made it your number 1?Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy series, because of fun and addictiveness. Plus good plot in all but Mario, but Mario requires no plot :P B) What gameplay features would you like to see in games (anything, bullettime etc. ,just explain)? = character customization, like weapons, clothes, abilities, etc

3) A)What makes a "cool" character?Backhistory, Abilities, and Purpose B)What is more important: the story, the gameplay, the graphics, the music, or the feeling of a game. And why?:All. If you do good in all these categories, you have yourself a Greatest Hits title.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:42 AM
Grand Duke Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Grand Duke

A) I love all types of games, it just depends on what that game IS.
B) Music and graphics are important to add to the feeling of the game. Also it shows the effort the people who made the game.
C) If I had an ability to make my own game it would be an RPG with nearly unlimited possibilities. You could chose the path of a warrior with a side path of a craftsmen, blacksmith, merchant, farmer, and rancher. It won't have a specific storyline neither. It would be similar to the internet JAgex game, Runescape if you think about it.

2) A)What is your favorite game of all time, and why? What gameplay features made it your number 1? B) What gameplay features would you like to see in games (anything, bullettime etc. ,just explain)? = \
A) My most favorite game of all time is of course the Final Fantasy series. Those kind of games are almost perfect! They lead in almost all categories (graphics, sound, ect.)
B) What I'd most want as a gameplay feature in most game is free-roam. It makes the replayability way higher and keeps a fun game. GTA for example, I played longer than I'd usually play a game without free roam because even after the game I could do something.

A) What makes a "cool" character to me is originality. If the character idea, clothing, accesorizing, and weaponry is original it would make a good character.
B) There is nothing that is more or less important than the other in a game. If a feature was taken out, it would subtract from another feature. (For example if music was taken out it would "take away" from the feeling.)