Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » Stories

Stories Write a story to catch Pokemon. A Grader will then decide if it catches or not.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:38 PM
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.

Send a message via AIM to DaRkUmBrEoN Send a message via Yahoo to DaRkUmBrEoN
Default Past Present(s) Future.

Past Present(s) Future.

Passage 1

The plains outside Edinburgh were filled with anticipation, as the two camps prepared themselves for battle. It was the year 1205, and the Dark Ages had begun to strike terror in the heart of the common peasant. The poor became even poorer, while the nobles and the church enriched themselves through bloody wars and ripping off the poor. Edinburgh had been the stage of a battle between the noble house from Glasgow and the patricians of Edinburgh. The army from Glasgow wanted to include the city of Edinburgh into their realm, but the people of Edinburgh weren’t going to let them do as they wished. Thus a bloody battle ignited, with both sides suffering major losses.

This particular day was the fourth day of combat, and the moral was still high on both sides. The fierce sun came out from between the thick clouds, and sent its bright light to shine upon the Highlands, making metal sparkle everywhere. The warriors of Edinburgh were getting ready to storm Glasgow’s soldiers and slash off some heads. Some of the men were already bragging about how many filthy scoundrels they would pierce their blood hungry swords through, while others silently enjoyed their morning bread and water.

Around noontime, when the sun was at its highest point, the commanding officer from both sides headed out to meet each other in between the two base camps. They were suited up in shiny armor with an iron coat of mail sticking out from beneath their strong chest plates. They rode their trained horses across the wide plains, until they stopped a good ten feet apart from each other.

“Good to see that thee still has thy head on thy neck,” Captain Brook said sarcastically against his colleague from Glasgow.

“Like wise, my good man,” Captain McNee replied. “Are thee ready to surrender thyself?”

“I would only surrender myself, when the skies above my head turn violet and the clouds start to play music like our court musician does.”

“Some bold words are escaping the confinements of thy teeth. I hope that thee is a man of thy word.”

“I am, but it will be thee who is going to bite the dust before this day is over,” Captain Brook replied, turning his jet black, armored horse around, and encouraging it to run as the wind.

The sound of the two lonely horses stamping the ground as they dashed toward their camps filled the air with a sense of drama and anticipation. The men began to strike up a war song. The roars of hundreds of battle ready men echoed throughout the plains of Edinburgh, and reached the ears of the many scared looking women and children watching their loved ones heading out toward another day of battle. Hands were raised toward the sky and knees fell to the ground, as a thousand and one prayers were sent out of their mouths. When the first exchange of weapons was made, the people on the walls of Edinburgh stopped their pleading, and began to cheer on their fellow citizens.

The battle was fierce, and the roars of the dying even fiercer. Blood, both human and horse, flooded throughout the battle field, and hid the greenish color of the Scottish grass. A young lad from Edinburgh, hardly older than 18 years old, found himself caught between the battling brutes. He looked frightening at the flying swords, gripping his own blade tightly with both his pale hands. He had no idea what he was expected to do.

Suddenly a large bloke wearing the colors of Glasgow charged at him. Drool and sweat befouled the man’s face, as he came dashing toward the young lad with raised sword. The boy was frozen on the spot. He was going to die. He knew it. The tears began to run uncontrollable. His breathing became irregular. He gripped his sword so hard that all the blood began to run out of his hands. The man was closing in; his face filled with battle rage. This was going to be the end for the young lad…

Another spectator stood on a plateau, which oversaw the fierce battle. His sight was caught by a young lad impaling a full grown man onto his blade. A small smile appeared on the onlooker’s face. His robes waved at the mercy of the rushing wind. The sky was filled with the sharp sound of metal clashing on metal, the inciting roars cast out by troops of fighting men, and the omnipresent wining and shouting of the fallen individuals all in the name of their masters. The wind brought the sour smell of spilled blood into the robe wearing spectator nostrils, though he didn’t flinch. He had unmistakably seen many battles between men.

A periodical trampling noise appeared behind the robed figure. It was a man riding a brownish horse with shiny metal covering the noble animal’s flanks. The man was none other than Captain McNee of Glasgow. He ordered his trusty horse to halt so he could step off. The captain had quite an exceptional force in his old body, for surely, getting off a horse with full battle wear isn’t for the weak.

McNee clattered, or more precisely his armor, his way toward the hooded figure standing on the edge. He stopped a few feet apart from him, and bowed – or at least tried to, before addressing him.

“Good to see you made it, sir.”

The figure did not move a muscle, but stared at the raging fight between the two sides. His brown robes fluttered heavily, as the wind began to pick up, and clothes crept over the land. The figure tilted his head a bit backward, and said: “Looks like the red will not be washed away by the tears of women and children today.”

“I beg thee pardon,” McNee said, his face entangled in a curious expression. He looked upwards as well. “Oh, I see.”

The figure lowered his hood and turned around. He was of an age between being a boy and becoming a man, but his eyes looked that of someone older and wiser. The wind got hold of his bristling red hair and began to fumble it around. “Let’s cut to the chase, McNee,” he said. Vivid green eyes stared down upon the captain from Glasgow. “What do you want of me?”

“Ah, Sir Ness,” McNee replied with a humble posture. “Thank you for helping us with our problem.”

“Shut up, McNee. I’m only doing this because you pay me,” the young man said. “And because the old man ordered me,” he added under his breath.

“Forgive me.” He hadn’t heard the boy’s last sentence. “Now, could you please turn the sky violet and make the clouds play music like court musician of Edinburgh does?”

“Here I am thinking you wanted me to do something difficult. This isn’t even worth the time of a magician like me.” Young man Ness spread his hands and began to mumble words in a language barely spoken through out the land since the ancient days. An eerie white light began to come out of him, as the clouds quickened toward the battlefield.

McNee was taken aback by the force coming from the lad in front of him that he hurried back to his horse, cursing the thought of ever ordering this. With what kind of monster had he gotten himself involved? Almost instinctively, he began to mutter a prayer, folding his hands together as he dropped to the ground on both knees. “Oh Lord, let me get out of this in one piece…”

A sudden bolt of thunder split the sky in half, just above Ness’ head, interrupting the captain’s muttering. Suddenly the fighting men had stopped their assaults on each other, and began to look up into the air. One of them was the blood-soaked Captain Brook. The words got stuck in his throat when he saw the sky turn brightly violet. Around him the other men weren’t so shy. Numerous curses, muttered by an even amount, buzzed through the air, along with innumerable amounts of prayers.

A second thunderbolt cleaved through the air, followed by a cheerful sound. The people of Edinburgh were stunned. These sweet notes were similar to those of the court musician, but how? Then, the lovely atmosphere was broken by the roar of a single man.

“Look up there! It’s the captain of Glasgow. He’s doing this!”

McNee had quickly gotten up when he noticed that he was safe, and had walked up the edge of the plateau. He was now laughing at the sight of his frightened foes and his cheering companions. “Captain Brook, I give thee what thee has asked for: A violet sky and musical clouds. Do thee want to surrender now, for I have thy word, remember?”

Brook cursed under his breath. He had his pride, but this was a crazy man’s bidding. How could a lowlife like McNee do all of this? Nevertheless, if he could do this, then he could surely be capable of other things. He weighed his options carefully. Finally he reached a decision. “Men, stand down!” he ordered on the top of his voice. “We’re surrendering.”

Thus Glasgow began to rule Edinburgh from the year 1207 onwards, without having to spill the usual amount of blood. But nowhere in history is there a record of the deeds of the magician called Ness with his blazing red hair and his emerald green eyes. But in an era that despised everything ranging from herb using healers to wizards, that wasn’t such an unbelievable feat. At least Captain McNee earned an honorable mention in the chronicles of mankind for his brave attacks against the city of Edinburgh.

Young Edward Ness, full-time magician and apprentice of the great wizard Merlin, was someone who operated in the shadows, and consequently forgotten with great ease. Although his name may not be known by the greater horde of man living today, his deeds live on in the hearts and minds of a small, well informed group of people.

As our story begins, young Edward is on his way back to Camelot, so he can graduate and become a respectable magician. Camelot, the legendary castle of the late King Arthur, has now become Merlin’s stronghold. Although Edward doesn’t look like it, he has been walking around this land for over two hundred years, and was barely able to meet the greatest king to be on the throne. Young Ness was one of the magicians, who guided the dying king to Avalon. Legend has it that once the great king Arthur has recovered, he will come back to save his kingdom again. Legends are often right, a fact young Ness is going to learn soon.

Last edited by DaRkUmBrEoN; 07-27-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:38 PM
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.

Default Re: Past Present(s) Future.

Chapter 1

Rainy Sunday afternoons were the dullest periods of the year: no one to hang out with or anything good to do except lounging on the living room sofa watching brainless infomercials presented by equally mindless fools. Not that I had friends or something like that. Sure, I knew other teens, but they weren’t my friends. Friend… What a weird word. A lot of people use it without knowing what it actually meant: caring about the other so much that you would stake your health over it. That’s what true friendship meant.

Well, time to stop reminiscing. My sight focused on the white tennis shoes with my feet in it resting comfortably on the coffee table. The rapidly changing colors coming from the TV gave them ghostly highlights. I lowered my feet of the table, which made my focus shift to the TV. Some weird commercial about some new invention made by some genius was being broadcasted on some channel. Weird how certain things in life kept repeating themselves.

I slowly stood up, after turning off the TV. Dad hated stuff being left on, even when they weren’t being used. My dad was such a perfectionist. He loved to see things being used the way they were meant to be used: don’t put your feet on the coffee table, and don’t sit on the table. Not that I obeyed to these rules when my dad was away. My mom wasn’t the complete opposite of my dad, but she came quite close. She was a scatterbrain, always misplacing everything. She was lucky her head was attached onto her neck, or she would have lost it ages ago.

My baggy blue jeans rustled as I shook my numbing legs. I had been sitting here for over four hours. Rainy Sunday afternoons were such a pain, though it was slowly clearing up now. Maybe I could sneak in the cave and explore even further.

The cave was a rather large tunnel complex built by Diglett, which had an opening right next to my house. When I was a child, I was told never to go in there, but at some point in my life, my curiosity had gotten the better of me. Since then, I could be found wandering through the cave at least a solid hour a day. I knew every passage, every branch, and every lake I visited inside the underground complex like the back of my hand. Of course, my parents had their suspicions, but they never spoke them out loud, at least not with me listening in the same room.

I walked out of the living room and into the hallway. While picking my coat off the peg with my left hand, I straightened my grassy green T-shirt with the other. After putting my coat on, I opened the front door, and stepped outside, before turning my head around and yelling: “Mom, I’m gonna take a walk.” The sound of falling pots and pans muffled away any reply possible. Typical…

I walked through the last bit of rain falling out of the sky. The entrance to the cave appeared before me, as I turned around the corner. Normally it would be bristling with life, but the storm had scared off everyone. I liked it better this way. It meant there were fewer disturbances around me, while I tried to explore the caves faster. Thanks to my limited amount of exploration time, I had yet to see every passage, but I didn’t mind. As long as there was something to discover, my curiosity would keep me interested.

I stepped into the absolute darkness of the cavern and sighed deeply. The sudden silence and the new variety of smells made me feel at ease. This place could be easily called my second home, and on bad days my only home. Although I knew the place, I wasn’t going to take any risks. I grabbed a small red and white object off my belt, and pressed the small button in the center. The ball inflated until it fitted in my fist. I pressed the equally enlarged button a second time and the ball jumped open, emitting a bright red light, which burned through the darkness. A little bluish bird appeared before me on the ground, flapping his little wings and screeching loudly. My Natu was my own flashlight. His Flash could light up a cave for a good hundred feet, making him indispensable for my little hikes. I lifted the light bird with my hand and put him on my shoulder. I was now set to go, and I was planning to even further than I had been. Maybe this was the reason why boring Sunday afternoons had been created in the first place. Or maybe I was just looking for an excuse to hang around in a dangerously lightened cave.

How weird it may sound, I was feeling uncomfortable with progressing this fast. Not that I wasn’t glad to do so, but I hadn’t seen a single living soul in ages. It was quiet, too quiet. The only sound that I had heard for the last couple of minutes was the scratching of my dirt collecting shoes against the rough cave floor. Suddenly the tip of my right foot momentarily connected with something rather hard. The loudly echoing bangs of a rock rolling away made my heartbeat jump through the roof. Why would something like this scare me this much? I tried to calm myself, until an unexpected noise wrecked my efforts.

I had only been this far into the underground passages one or twice, though I could swear that I remember a small tunnel to my left. The noise had come from there, I was sure of it. It had sounded like something with more legs than me hoisting itself out of a watery pool, for I had heard the sound of dripping water clearly through it. My instinct, or my common sense, told me to get the hell out of here, but I was intrigued by this mysterious being. I had to find that thing and see it.

I felt Natu’s feathers stand up, as a sudden gust of wind blew past us, grabbing my blond hair and playing with it, until it had subdued. Natu gently pecked me with his little beak, and stared into my blue eyes with his dark brown ones. The little green bird looked frightened as hell; as if it knew something I didn’t know. Maybe I was being foolish, but I was a stubborn one. Once I had made my mind up, I never backed down, unless there was a really good reason to do so. Logical stubbornness they call it, although my dad rather uses terms like ‘bloody stupid’. My logical stubbornness was now leading me toward the narrow tunnel from which the weird sound had come from.

The walls were all wet, and water dripped off the ceiling, while I stooped as low as I could to get through. Most Diglett made rooms were smooth and round, but this one wasn’t. The walls all had random, sharp ends sticking out of them, which I discovered a bit sooner than I would have wanted. So for so good, I said to myself, as Natu faithfully kept the light shining, so I could see where I was heading. The light had become more intense, either because his fear was making Natu stronger, or because the room was getting narrower.

The hairs on the back of my neck suddenly jumped up. There it was again, louder this time. The adrenaline began to rush through my veins, and my heart started to pump harder to get it through my body in record time. I had never felt like this before. My whole body was tingling. I noticed that I was enjoying the sudden thrill of meeting the unknown. Wild fantasies began to fill my brain, as I kept creeping toward the end of the narrow tunnel. The noise slowly grew in volume and frequency.

There it was! The exit appeared dead ahead. My pacing went from tiptoe to a slow dash. This was so exiting! I was about to see something new and amazing; and I couldn’t wait… And so I tripped over a sudden rock sticking out of the floor, and tumbled head over heels out of the narrow tunnel, scratching my arm and legs open on the other rocks. The ceiling and the floor seemed to be mixing up into a blur as I rolled over the floor, and out of the tunnel. I hovered in mid air for what seemed an eternity, although it was more like a second or so, before I plunged down toward the ground, which lay several feet below me. A sudden gust of wind blew me closer toward a stone wall. Time seemed to be slowing down. I felt how something hard met my head, and slowly the lights went out, while I fell deeper into the darkness…

Something hard and sharp poked in my cheek. My brain rebooted, when my nerves told them what they had felt. I could feel the gears in my head beginning to turn. Rickety at first, but they quickly began to run smooth again. I blinked multiple times. Tears ran over my cheeks, as they tried hard to get rid of the bits of sand and dust beneath my eyes.

Where was I? Was I even alive? A sharp pain coming from my elbow reminded me of my liveliness. Someone or something was exhaling deeply beside me. I turned my face to see who or what it was. I saw those familiar brown eyes reflecting my face. Man, was I going to feel sore tomorrow morning. “Natu,” I said softly, and grinned. The little bird began to chirp happily. He must have been worried.

“Uh,” I moaned, as I tried to get up. I shifted my weight onto my wrists, and pushed my upper body up, until only my knees, lower legs and feet were touching the rocky ground. Getting up was hard work. I moved my remaining weight over to my right knee and used my left leg to get up. Finally I was standing up again, although I was panting rather hard.

Man, that must have been a long fall down, I thought, but why wasn’t I hurt? Well there was no point in standing still, so I decided to clench my teeth together and walk onwards. Once my ears finally began to work, I noticed the frequent noise coming from somewhere up ahead. Maybe falling down wasn’t such a bad action.

I stopped at the edge of a pool filled with disgusting greenish stuff. The smell was like a hundred corpses rotting in muddy swamp with wild board droppings. I tried hard not to breathe through my nose, while I examined the surroundings. Oh, how I longed for sweaty gym socks.

Natu began to chirp again. He was staring at a dim light on the other side of the pool. How the hell was I going to get there? My eyes scanned the area for a small ledge on which I could cross over. Even a tiny sand path would have done the trick. But there was nothing, not even that.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:44 PM
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.

Passage 2

The monstrous wooden gate emerged in front of him, as young Edward Ness walked up the long steep hill. The castle belonging to the gate was extremely huge, if not of gigantic proportions. Its stones were amazingly white for their age, and the wooden shutters were still as smooth and shine, as when they were first made. The walls and towers seemed to be several feet thick, and the guards patrolling on them well-trained. This was a stronghold that wouldn’t fall so easily.

Ness grinned. He wasn’t necessarily happy to be back at the castle, but he was indeed happy to be there. He was about to graduate as Merlin’s student and become a full-fledged wizard. After that, he would comb the land for an apprentice of his own. No more stupid lessons for him. Edward had spent over 50 years of his life studying the mystic arts of the ancient land, and had grown to hate his teacher with a passion. He remembered the day that he was chosen by Merlin himself to become his student, and the fact that he had grown up in the same village as Merlin had absolutely nothing to do with it.

It had been in the year of the good Lord 1157. Edward, an orphan at that time, was living in a small village in Scotland near Loch Ness. He had lost his parents due to forest raiders, forcing him to become a scavenger in order to survive. However, unlike the other orphaned children, he was special. Young Edward seemed to age very slowly. His body aged a year after every ten human years, making him already 120 years old. The villagers spoke of him as if he was cursed to live this way, though they envied him because of it too. As a result, he was looked down upon by all, and left without anyone to call his friend.

That particular day had been a tough day for young Edward. He had been attacked by a group of armed men, a fact he only discovered, after ‘borrowing’ their food supply. He had managed to escape somehow, before being beaten to death by them. Unable to answer where that blinding light of lighting had come from, he now lay on a bed of tree leafs, waiting patiently till some kind of sleep would over take his body and rid him from his ill-fated existence.

Edward had almost closed his eyes, when the sound of hooves caught his attention. There was a horse coming his way. While scared as never before, he prayed that it wasn’t one of those men looking for him. The sounds edged closer, while becoming fainter. The horse had broken out of his gallop and was now moving slowly through the forest. The gentle whooshing of a tender fabric against a horse’s body became more distinct. This person wasn’t a bandit like those men, but rather a sophisticated human being. Edward’s brain began to work in overdrive. If played his cards right, he could get free meals and a warm bed for at least a full week. He began to wail loudly, hoping that the passer-by would hear him.

Slowly the sounds began to come his way, accompanied by a booming, but gentle, voice. It was a man judging by the voice, a really old man. “Edward, where are you?” he yelled.

Staggered by the suddenness of hearing his name come out of a stranger’s mouth, Edward fell in silence himself. How did this old man know his name? It couldn’t be one of the villagers; they didn’t want to have anything to do with him. It couldn’t be his parents either, because they were dead for over 120 years.

“Maybe they had friends?” a part of his mind suggested. “Friends? Who in heaven’s name has 120 year old friends?” another part of his mind sneered sarcastically. This wasn’t good. The horse steps were really close, and the voice of the man had turned to a decent volume.

Edward saw a great white stallion stepping out behind the large tree to his left. His manes were neatly combed and braided. The strong muscles could be clearly seen underneath the perfectly attended skin of the beast. The man on the horse was as old as the steed was strong, but they both shared a common trait: nobility.

“Ah, there you are,” the grey old man said, while he got off his mount. “Edward Ness, if I’m not mistaken.” The stranger extended his hand toward Edward, smiling broadly. His teeth were amazingly white and his crooked nose looked like it as if it had been broken several times. The wrinkles in his forehead were so deep that they fell over each other.

Edward scurried away, ignoring the pain in his body as fear took over. This wasn’t funny. Who was this old man? Suddenly his body wouldn’t move. He dropped on the ground in front of a giant oak tree. His heart rate had accelerated, and he was on the verge of collapsing.

The old man gently walked toward young Edward. His smile didn’t fade for a second. As he came closer, Edward grew more terrified of him. All of a sudden, just when the old man had came within 3 feet of him, Edward’s mind went blank. A thunderous roar came down from out of the vast blue sky, and echoed through the entire forest. A sudden lighting bolt dropped down from the clear blue sky, and charged toward the old man.

Edward’s eyes grew big, when he saw the powerful thunder hit its target. The man’s blasted smile kept sticking on his face during the entire time, as if it was glued onto him. What was he? Didn’t he feel any pain or was he just completely numbed? The lighting bolt faded.

“Good job, Edward!” the old man applauded. “You have real talent.”

Edward blinked stupidly. “What?” he moaned. “How could you live through that?”

“Edward, what you just did with the lighting was wizardry, and I myself am a wizard.”

“Who’re you?”

“I am the wizard of the royal court, Merlin.”

Eyes grew big again. He had heard of this man, the great wizard Merlin. He was said to be the right hand of King Arthur, but what was he doing here?

“Before we talk any further,” Merlin said, “please let me cure those wounds of yours.” He stepped closer to Edward and placed his hands on the boy’s chest. A mystifying light appeared. It melted into his skin and stretched itself over the entire body, curing every injury it passed. Mere seconds after that, Edward could stand up again. This was surely something new for him.

“What are you doing here?” Edward asked after he had gathered all his courage.

“I am here to take you in as my apprentice.”

Edward was stunned. “A-Apprentice…” he stumbled. “I’m not a magician.”

“Oh, what was that lighting then?” Merlin raised his brow, but kept his strange smile. “You did that, dear Edward.”

“I couldn’t have.”

“But you did.” He extended his hand, and lifted the young boy with amazing strength. “You have the wizard’s ability to age very slowly, and you already know some little tricks. That makes you more than qualified.”

“But.. But…” Edward stuttered.

“No buts, young man. Either you come with me, or you’ll be spending the rest of your abnormal long life stealing food to survive.” The smile just wouldn’t come of his wrinkled old face.

The truth hit Edward hard. This was indeed his chance to escape from his former life. His only chance to break free from his chains and lead his life the way he wanted. He wasn’t going to let this chance slip away from him. He swallowed once. “I’ll go with you,” he said with a strong and confident voice.

“Well, come on then. No need for us to dwell in this forest any longer,” Merlin said, chuckling rather hard, so that it was hard to understand him.

Nevertheless, Edward agreeably nodded his ginger head, and followed his newfound master to his brilliant white steed.

That had happened a good 50 years ago, and the present Edward chuckled at the memory of that day. He now stood in front of a giant oak wooden door, which lead into Merlin’s headquarters. His memories started to get the best of him as he came closer to becoming a full-fledged wizard. Edward remembered how he used to stand outside Merlin’s room, and finding out that the old master knew that he was going to enter, before Edward had even knocked. Young Edward had always thought of it as a great trick, but in reality it was rather simple.

Every being has its own personal energy wave, and the trick is to pick them up and separate them. Merlin was just catching Edward’s energy wave. However, as his training progressed, Edward learned how to conceal his, so that Merlin had a hard time figuring out where is apprentice was.

Edward knocked on the door…

A distant, muffled voice replied: “Who’s there?”

Edward had a hard time keeping his face straight. He loved it when Merlin didn’t know that it was him. “It’s Edward.”

“Oh, right. Come in, come in…”

Merlin’s quarter was about the size of the average ball room, fitted with giant crystal chandeliers hanging from the immensely high ceiling. The room was so spacious a priest would have made a cross after realizing how many souls could fit in it. However, Edward wasn’t paying attention to that. He was staring at his master, who rested exhaustedly in his comfortable arm chair. Smoke was coming out grayish robes, and singed crispy black at the sides.

“Merlin, what happened to you?” Edward asked curiously, rushing toward his mentor.

“Edward, I’m sorry. We need to postpone your graduation for a bit.”

“Merlin, tell me what happened. Why are you burned?”

“Edward, I’ll be fine…” Merlin coughed loudly, making Edward frown at it.

“Yeah, right. Tell that to my deceased grandmother.”

“I will, in a decennia or ten years,” Merlin responded sarcastically. “But, seriously, we’ve got a problem.”

“Yeah, I noticed. You’re covered in burns.”

“They’ll heal. Listen. I need you to go to a small town near Wales. In one of the forests there, you will find a big lake. There’s a monster there that makes the people living around the place suffer. I need you to do something about it, if you’re up to it, that is.”

“Sure. I just need to slay a beast. Here I was thinking you would ask me to go to the moon and back or something.”

“Hilarious as ever, Ness. Now, get going, before I toast you for being a smarty pants. You’re still my apprentice.”

“I know, you old git,” Edward chuckled, as he left the room. He had a weird feeling about this expedition.

Last edited by DaRkUmBrEoN; 07-27-2006 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:15 PM
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.

Chapter 2

I had crossed the stinking pool of gunk. Somehow - don’t ask me why – Natu jumped on top of the pool without even sinking. The lake wasn’t filled with liquid. It was filled with something solid. I dashed across the pond, while holding my breath as if it could be my last. The air was filled with such disgusting odors that it couldn’t be put on paper. It was horrible.

I filled my lungs with deliciously healthy fresh air, after making sure I was a decent distance away from you know what. Slowly, thinking that I was imagining things, I noticed a lit pathway in front of me. I could feel how gusts of air penetrated the inside of this Diglett made cave. ‘Cool, an exit!’ would have been a misleading exclamation, but did I seem like I could care about etiquette. I had freaking crossed a slimy, solid, and –ugh - stinking pond.

“Cool, an exit!” I bellowed, and rushed to my porthole of rescue.

I froze immediately after placing two steps out of the cave. This wasn’t Blackthorn anymore, but that’s impossible. I could have sworn that I only went like a mile or maybe two underground, and I even backtracked a couple of hundred yards. Where the hell was I?

Natu chirped freely, and I soon found out why. To my left, a marching band appeared, playing the weirdest instruments or the weirdest versions of them, while they wore the oldest clothes imaginable. The sound of their tunes was somehow familiar, but I couldn’t place it. When the band passed me, they didn’t seem to notice me, or they didn’t pay that much attention to me.

Natu pecked my ear again, and flew up. It was kind of obvious that he wanted to follow the musicians, so I did too. After about a five minute walk, I could see a city gate rising from the ground, with a small crew of gatekeepers on each side. They were dressed in shiny metal chest plates, and colorful wool shirts and pants. They all carried a long 6 feet long spear with a really sharp tip.

Now I got it, this was a theme parade. I must have stumbled upon a strange medieval festival. Well, I might as well follow suit and enter the city. I let the marching band get into the city first, and then after waiting another minute or two, I felt that it was my time to set foot into this cool looking festival.

“Hold! Who goes there?” a gatekeeper asked dutiful.

“Wicked!” I replied. “You guys sure take this theme fest seriously.”

“What did you say, peasant,” the guard replied. He cocked his spear at me. “I’ll ask you one last time before I kick you out. Who goes there?”

“I’m Arthur Pendragon,” I replied boldly, ignorant of the changing expressions of the pack of guards.

Their faces changed from alert to a more relaxed state. The most forward guard even lowered his lance, before exploding in laughter with his colleagues. “You must be kidding me, lad. You’re no Arthur Pendragon. He’s been dead for years.”

My mouth dropped open. I was dead?! Where in the world was I? I couldn’t be dead, could I? Okay, it was a long fall down, but to plunge down for years is absurd.

“But I’m really Arthur Pendragon,” I said, but the gatekeepers kept roaring of laughter. I exploded into a silent rage. If they weren’t going to drop the act, stop laughing and tell me what the hell had happened during the time I was gone, I would report them to their boss.

“Beat it, lad,” the lookout grunted. “I’ll give you to the count of five to either tell us your real name or get out of here.”

“Oy, James,” another guard said. This one looked older than the others, and judging by his clothing, higher in rank too. “I’ve got to say, this boy kind of looks like the old guy. He even has the right color of eyes.”

“But, Chief, you must be kidding me. Arthur Pendragon has been dead for over 100 years. There’s no way this boy could be him. Besides, he’s dressed weird, and I’ve never seen such a bird.” He pointed toward Natu.

A sudden ‘Halt, who goes there,’ caught my attention. I turned my gaze to my left side, where I saw a tall man standing in front of the other troop of sentinels. No, it wasn’t a man. It was a boy of probably my age. He wore a darkish brown robe, and most noticeably, his hair was flaming red.

“Be gone. I’m here on mission. I like to speak to your city head,” the boy said in a loud, commanding voice.

“You can command what you want, but all I need from you is your name, sonny,” an apparently carefree guard responded.

“Fool. Don’t you recognize Merlin’s apprentice. I’m Edward Ness. Now step aside.”

“You must be the second moron today,” the guard said. “That guy thinks he’s King Arthur.” He pointed toward me.

The boy calling himself Edward Ness seemed to hesitate for a moment. He probably wanted to scorn at the gatekeeper for calling him a moron, while taking a look at me at the same time.

Somehow, he made the decision to look at me first. The very first thing that struck me was his eyes. Edward looked like a normal teen, but his eyes showed the trouble and thrive of a much older human being. I was grasped by them and also fascinated.

Last edited by DaRkUmBrEoN; 07-28-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:56 PM
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.

Passage 2.5

Edward was feeling quite angered at the guards’ postures. Did he look like he was kidding? He cast a sideward glance to where the guard in front of him was pointing to. Che, that boy standing to his side wasn’t actually looking like he was from here, not with those clothes anyway. However, somehow he gave off a certain vibe. Edward didn’t know what it was, but it certainly wasn’t alien to him. It was as if he had felt like this in some distant past.

Then the boy turned around, and Edward was completely taken aback. His hair, his eyes, even the shape of his face looked exactly like that of the deceased King. How… How could this be possible? Had the King come back from Avalon?

Automatically, Edward fell to one knee and bowed his head. Meanwhile, the guards around him looked at him with astonishment blatantly displayed on their questioning faces. “My lord, you’ve returned,” Edward said.

However, the boy remained silent, and looked at the sudden reaction of this stranger called Edward in awe. Could he be the presumably dead King returning from the mystic land of Avalon?

Edward raised his head, waiting for the never arriving order to stand up. “You are Arthur Pendragon, am I right?”

“Yes, I am, but I think I’m not the one you think I am.”

“Surely, my lord, Avalon must have rid you of your memories to ease your sudden to your kingdom.” Edward stood up and grabbed Arthur’s arm “Come, let me…”

“Don’t touch me,” Arthur yelled, stepping back. However, the sudden movement of his arms had lifted his shirt high enough upward to show his stomach area.

Suddenly, all the eyes belonging to the guards jumped out of their sockets, as they saw the long scar running from side to side. This was certainly the sign of the returned King.

“Your Majesty, we apologize for our rudeness,” the head guard said, bending deeply on his both his knees.

“What’s happening? Who’s this king you’re talking about?” the boy shouted. “ I don’t understand you?”

“Never mind these peasants, my lord. Come with me. I’ll show you who you are, right after we slay the dragon,” Edward said, grabbing Arthur’s hand.

“What dragon?” Arthur asked with big round eyes. “Does it have wings and flaming breath?”

“Of course, my lord. All dragons have.”

“Show me this beast,” Arthur said with an interesting undertone in his voice. “What was your name again?”

“Edward Ness, my lord.”

“Okay, show me the way, Edward.”

Both young men turned around and began to walk away from the city gate. Just before Edward whistled for his horse, one of the guards who stopped him remembered something. “Wait,” he blurted. “Don’t you want to see the city head anymore?”

“Well, I was going to ask him for some soldiers, but I think the two of us will be more than enough to handle one dragon.”

The guards had fallen into a complete silence. How could two young men, not even full grown adults, of which one a crazy magician and the other a dead King with no recollections at all, beat a fire breathing dragon? They were going to die…

Meanwhile, Edward had called for his horse, and mounted him. “Here,” he said, extending his hand toward Arthur.

“No, thank you. I’ve got my own steed,” he replied, grabbing one of his Pokeballs and opening it in front of him. A blinding red light appeared which seemed to amaze Edward. When the light had faded, a slender, tall stallion kicked the grass with his hooves, while blazing red flames sprouted out of his back and took the place of his manes and tail. Even his ankles were covered with flame.

“Avalon sure has given you amazing creatures. I’ve never seen a horse or a bird like those you have. What is that thing in your hand that released those things?”

“Oh, this is a Pokeball, and these things are Pokemon,” Arthur replied, as he mounted his flaming charger. “This one’s called Rapidash, and the bird is called Natu.”

“Interesting names for such shocking beings. How were they created? Was it by magic or some other type of sorcery?”

“Don’t know, and quite frankly I don’t care. Let’s ride, Edward.”

“Of course, my lord,” Edward said, before encouraging his horse to run like the wind.

After passing through various country sides, they finally arrived at a place called Nogard’s Lair. The air was getting warmer with every step they took, making it seem as if they had stepped into a blazing forest fire. Sweat ran down their bodies like water down a waterfall, although Rapidash didn’t seem to be affected by it. Every passing minute they got deeper and deeper underground, until a thunderous roar stopped them dead in their tracks. Jolts ran up their spines, actively persuading their brains to turn and run for it. This wasn’t going to end well, if they stayed.

Nonetheless, they pressed onward, and eventually arrived in a gigantic cave. The entire room was covered with human and animal remains, while the walls had a shady red color, where they had been tainted with blood. Edward and Arthur carefully stepped into the room, cautiously of what could happen. Edward suddenly stood on a twig, which snapped. The echo dashed through the cave, only to be answered by the movement of a giant red mountain…
Old 07-27-2006, 06:54 PM
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.

Chapter 3

I gulped loudly, trying to moisten my dry throat. The flaming beast in front of us was nothing short of a full-grown, full-fledged Charizard. So, this was a Pokemon. Well, this obviously meant war!

I grabbed a Pokeball, and held it in front of me, while Edward looked at me with a weird expression on his face.

“Are you about to summon another one of those Avalon creatures, my lord?”

“They’re not Avalon creatures,” I replied. “They’re Pokemon. Now, if you don’t mind, could you do something to distract the dragon?”

“Of course, my lord.” He quietly dashed away to draw enemy fire.

Ok, so far, so good. Time to get things messy. I opened the Pokeball, and my Blastoise silently came out. Well, not exactly like a mouse, but it wasn’t enough to alert the Charizard of our location.

“Blastoise, are you ready for this?” My trusty water Pokemon nodded. “On my signal you’ll launch a Water Gun attack on that Charizard.” Another nod, while I peered to see where Edward had went.

I found him standing with his staff clenched tightly in his fist on a small plateau a fair distance from me and Blastoise. As he kept moving his lips – probably mumbling some incantation – I could feel the ground beginning to shake.

The monstrously large winged salamander stretched its wings and turned his head in search of whatever disturbed his nap. Even with its accurate bloodshot eyes, he noticed Edward too late. Those brown robes he had were concealing him almost perfectly. Too bad he didn’t have a matching tan.

“Blastoise, now!” I whispered.

Blastoise opened up the flaps covering his shell guns with a rather dry click, aimed, and fired a massive amount of water at the flaming Godzilla. The fact that the Water Gun went right through him wasn’t that much of a surprise, though Charizard’s counter was.

Immediately, a thinner shot of water was fired at Blastoise. There was no way in the world that a Charizard could learn a Water Gun attack. Something fishy was going on.

“Blastoise, Foresight!”

Blastoise’s eyes glowed up with an eerie red color, illuminating the entire cave. Slowly, Charizard seemed to shrink and change color. Within moments, the large fire breathing dragon was turned into two separate creatures. One of them was a floating ball of gas, while the other looked more like a sea star.

Now I got it. Staryu had shot that Water Gun, while Gastly was using his powers to dupe everyone into believing that there was a dragon living in this cave. This required some painful payback.

“Edward, can you electrocute the sea star? I’ll try taking out the ball of gas,” I yelled across the cave.

“Sure,” his answer echoed. “No problem, my lord.”

“Stop calling me that! It’s annoying!”

I turned around to face my Blastoise. He was already sharpening his teeth, as if he knew what I was going to ask. “Bite that Gastly, Blastoise.”

The big turtle like creature jumped down the steep cliff, and landed on both his feet, which caused a horrific vibration of the entire cave. I could hear pieces of rock coming loose, as I fell on my behind.

Gastly looked as if he was being hunted by a mad dog with rabies, but this was far worse. Rabies made a dog uncontrollable, though Blastoise was clearly in control. He charged at the frightened creature, stomping the ground flat like an insane rhino. As he grabbed the core, which was Gastly’s actual body, he brought it upwards toward his jaw. Jamming it between his strong teeth, I could hear my foe wail of pain.

Meanwhile, Edward was standing with his hands lifted up toward the roof, chanting something in a weird language. I could have sworn that I heard the sound of rolling thunder coming from outside, but when a blinding flash struck Staryu, I was stunned.

Edward really was something else. How could a human being be able to do something only Pokemon could? When I could see normal once again, Staryu was on the ground covered with sparks. It wasn’t likely that it could fight today.

Gastly, on the other hand, was a bit more hard-wearing. He had somehow managed to get free from, while Blastoise looked a bit confused. This wasn’t good. If Blastoise stayed confused, Gastly would go back to his old tricks again.

“Blastoise, finish it off with Bite!”

Blastoise opened his mouth, stretched out for Gastly…

Suddenly, a serene calmness engulfed the cave. It was soothing, and made me feel relaxed for the first time since my little expedition. Blastoise seemed to blink ignorantly, as he brought a rock toward his mouth.

I searched for Edward, and found him muttering another salvo of unrecognizable words. So he was the source of all this, eh? I should remember to thank him.

As Blastoise snapped out of his confusion, he grabbed Gastly, and stuck the little insignificant, scared creature between his massively oversized teeth. Within seconds Gastly’s heartbreaking wails subdued. It had fainted.

I jumped down as fast as I could without breaking or spraining anything. Edward was doing the same, but with a bit more finesse. I crouched to examine Gastly’s wounds. Hmmm… Nothing serious, at least nothing a good rest would cure. Staryu seemed ok too, but judging by the stinking mud under its feet, I concluded that it was the same creature that I had heard in the cave. So he brought me all the way here, eh?

Payback time was almost over. I had to do just one little thing. Grabbing two empty Pokeballs, I threw them at both Pokemon, and watched the balls close.

Calmly, they wiggled…

Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.
Where an old man of Aran goes around and around
Old 07-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Nasty Plasty Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Nasty Plasty Send a message via MSN to Nasty Plasty

I'll give this a grade.

Length: Seems long enough to me.

Plot: I don't know why, but reminds me a Lord of the Rings. It seemed pretty deep and interesting. It seemed to get really exciting

Here:

Quote:
My mouth dropped open. I was dead?! Where in the world was I? I couldn’t be dead, could I? Okay, it was a long fall down, but to plunge down for years in absurd.
Battle: Nice use of Gastly and Staryu's attacks, though it was a bit short for my liking.

Grammar: Only thing I see wrong were a few comma mistakes. Try saying your sentences allowed. Where you pause, a comma belongs there.

Final Grade: You seem to have a knack for this. Though battle seemed a little off, you made up for it.

Staryu Captured
Gastly captured

Last edited by Nasty Plasty; 07-27-2006 at 10:19 PM.