Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga

Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga Talk about the Pokemon anime, movies and manga. NOTE: It's possible that there may be discussions in here that may spoil something for you if you haven't seen that episode/movie/manga before. Please use the spoiler code when appropriate.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:09 PM
AshMistyMayfan Offline

Default Do you think May deserved the 5th ribbon? I don't.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not cutting May. She does have the makings of a good cooridinator, but the moves of her Pokemon were just not impressive. I mean, Tackle, Rapid Spin, Bubble, those are unimpressive moves that I as the judge wouldn't give her high marks for. Had she taught the Squirtle moves like Skull Bash, Hydro Pump, or the high leveled Hydro Canon, then she could dominate the event. May plays it conservative out there instead of aggressive nature, and that makes her look bad next to the usual listening to Harley and looking stupid for it! Just when is May ever going to realize that Harley is trying to make her look like a fool and is doing a good job?

I hope HIkari is going to teach her Pokemon some impressive moves, or it's going to be a disaster for her. Trainers, and cooridinators have to learn to win or not to win, and not having your Pokemon learn the high level extreme moves doesn't cut it in battle or contests.

3 judges can say May won, but Simon Cowell in me wouldn't say it until I saw something impressive. The contests on Pokemon need to be done better then this. Least Vivian, or Lillian, do provide good distractions.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:05 PM
RouteMaster Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Default Re: Do you think May deserved the 5th ribbon? I don't.

Well I think you raise a good point here, some of the moves; namely Tackle shouldn't have had any affect at all on a Ghost Pokemon like Banette when throughout the anime series it has always been said that normal attacks have no affect on Ghost types. Despite this I still thought it was a great contest battle.

Last edited by RouteMaster; 12-09-2006 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Shadow Eevee Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Yeah how does she think she can win contests with tackle and withdraw.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Sceptile Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Sceptile

She doesn't deserve it at all.I just don't understand how Squirtle's bubble broke through Banette's thunder.I could take a stupid clothespin and pop them!
Old 12-09-2006, 09:44 PM
AshMistyMayfan Offline

And did you see the so called point deducation when it hit the Squirtle? Everytime I use an electric attack on the water Pokemon, they get KOed instantly! The Thunder attack seemed to do like 10% damage, which was illogical as May should've lost additional points. ANd good point on Tackle, a normal attack can't work on ghosts so that's another blooper right there! Bubble to me isn't even that powerful of an attack if it's like only 20 damage so how could a move like that cut through a highly effective THunder? They also made Frustration a joke for when I was in one of the Battle Pyramids on Emerald and the Pokemon I took on used Frustration, it took my HP down 60% on that move! I tell you, there was too many smoke and mirrors used for May's contest to make her the winner when those moves the Squirtle had should've had it KOed. That was disappointing to give her the ribbon like that. She is raising her Pokemon right, don't get me wrong, but there has to be more impressive moves for the Pokemon to display. I mean, when they have the cheerleading competition from different schools/colleges, the men and women athletes out there have to show one impressive dare devil like move after another, and the same should be said in a Pokemon contest if they want to continue drawing an audience.

One thing I noticed that Banette never used the Shadow Punch or Shadow Ball for a move. The writers are sleeping at the wheel again. YOu need a knock down, drag out type of fight to draw excitement not have moments like this where May won her contest. If I had to write a contest story and May tried using those type of moves with her Squirtle, I assure the audience that unless Squirtle learned high effective moves, May will be crying by the time its over for there's no compassion in contests. May has to do a lot better then this, and I am hopeful being in Johto might do that for her (whenever she guest stars if she does next season on Pokemon.).

And please stop making Harley make May look like an idiot and a sissy at the same time! Boy, first they get Lucy to take away the football from Charlie Brown, now they got Harley making May look like a fool!
Old 12-10-2006, 02:24 AM
Hoshika Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker matt View Post
Well I think you raise a good point here, some of the moves; namely Tackle shouldn't have had any affect at all on a Ghost Pokemon like Banette when throughout the anime series it has always been said that normal attacks have no affect on Ghost types. Despite this I still thought it was a great contest battle.
This is actually possible. Just look at PMD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeveebrothers View Post
Yeah how does she think she can win contests with tackle and withdraw.
I tried. I won. What I used? Pokéblocks! XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptile View Post
She doesn't deserve it at all.I just don't understand how Squirtle's bubble broke through Banette's thunder.I could take a stupid clothespin and pop them!
If Squirtle is powerful enough to blow that Bubble attack with a faster rate than Banette's Thunder, Banette could be easily KO'ed. And in a Pokémon Contest in the games, levels and such don't count that much. So even if Squirtle is level 25 and Banette is 35, Squirtle has a chance of
winning. I've done it with Kaminari the Pichu.

Eh, levels don't even exist in the animé!

And remember, moves can be arranged to be displayed in an appealing manner. Take Rapid Spin, for example. Combined with Bubble, Water Gun, and/or Ice Beam, it'll become a giant, shining whirlpool! Even a single Bubble attack can come out as a swirling, sparkling ribbon, therefore saving May some points.

Overall, May deserves the ribbon.
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.

Last edited by Hoshika; 12-10-2006 at 02:26 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:08 AM
Sceptile Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Sceptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshika View Post

I tried. I won. What I used? Pokéblocks! XP

If Squirtle is powerful enough to blow that Bubble attack with a faster rate than Banette's Thunder, Banette could be easily KO'ed. And in a Pokémon Contest in the games, levels and such don't count that much. So even if Squirtle is level 25 and Banette is 35, Squirtle has a chance of
winning. I've done it with Kaminari the Pichu.

Eh, levels don't even exist in the animé!

And remember, moves can be arranged to be displayed in an appealing manner. Take Rapid Spin, for example. Combined with Bubble, Water Gun, and/or Ice Beam, it'll become a giant, shining whirlpool! Even a single Bubble attack can come out as a swirling, sparkling ribbon, therefore saving May some points.

Overall, May deserves the ribbon.
1:This isn't the game,now is it?And right before Ash went to the Battle Frontier,he challenged Agatha.When Pikachu used quick attack on Gengar,Pikachu went strait through Gengar's body.

2:Besides May's Pink surprise,when did Squirtle eat Poke'block?

3:C'mon,their stupid bubbles breaking through thunder!!!
Old 12-10-2006, 09:22 AM
AshMistyMayfan Offline

I agree there is no way to tell what level Squirtle or Banette were at, but why didn't Banette use the Shadow Punch or Shadow Ball it learns? If you are using a simple attack to get higher amount of points, it's not going to work if your opponent uses an aggressive like attack like Banette could've done. Course, Jessie was too lame to know Shadow PUnch/Shadow Ball, but you think some Pokemon would have common sense to attack on their own.

Since when did May feed the Squirtle a Pokeblock? I've never seen her do that, come on! ANd I think if Squirtle didn't have teh full amount of Pokeblocks, its condition shouldn't even rate that high with the judges so therefore, Nurse Joy and those 2 others must be blind.

Bubbles can't break through Thunder, and if they are using an attack like Tackle to be effective on Ghosts, since when did they start using PMDungeon? What next, Earthquake has an effect on Flying Type? I feel the point system was bad and made May get something she didn't entirely deserve. May winning reminds me of football teams that get the shaft job from bad officiating and they win games they don't clearly deserve because they got bad help, and it makes them look soft just like May winning and letting Harley make a fool out of her yet again makes her look soft. An attack like Bubble that's a 20 versus Thunder that's higher effective makes no sense to have Bubble break through like that.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:47 PM
rufus6june Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshMistyMayfan View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not cutting May. She does have the makings of a good cooridinator, but the moves of her Pokemon were just not impressive. I mean, Tackle, Rapid Spin, Bubble, those are unimpressive moves that I as the judge wouldn't give her high marks for. Had she taught the Squirtle moves like Skull Bash, Hydro Pump, or the high leveled Hydro Canon, then she could dominate the event. May plays it conservative out there instead of aggressive nature, and that makes her look bad next to the usual listening to Harley and looking stupid for it! Just when is May ever going to realize that Harley is trying to make her look like a fool and is doing a good job?

I hope HIkari is going to teach her Pokemon some impressive moves, or it's going to be a disaster for her. Trainers, and cooridinators have to learn to win or not to win, and not having your Pokemon learn the high level extreme moves doesn't cut it in battle or contests.

3 judges can say May won, but Simon Cowell in me wouldn't say it until I saw something impressive. The contests on Pokemon need to be done better then this. Least Vivian, or Lillian, do provide good distractions.
Yeah I fought it didnt look as good. From when she made a ice twist statue and put squirtle on top, it looked preety good for the pokemon world of course.

^credit too shiny loser^
Old 12-10-2006, 04:02 PM
xxxSakura Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to xxxSakura

Well she did work pretty hard, but there is a lack of sense and logic around her. Bubbles breaking through thunder? Don't make me laugh. And normal attacks having effect on Ghost Pokemon is just plain stupid and senseless, as well as unfair!
Old 12-10-2006, 04:23 PM
RedRoninMan Offline
Elite Trainer

The 5th ribbon match wasnt nearly as rigged as the ribbon battle against Brock. Brock was 0wning the entire fight and eevee hit him twice and somehow Marshtomp ended up having less points overall. Not fair!

My Bishies are Walter C. Dornez, Arcanine and Venusaur!
Old 12-10-2006, 07:25 PM
RouteMaster Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshika View Post
Afraid not; as said above, in Ash's battle against Agatha Pikachu passed straight through Gengar while using Quick Attack. Ash then comments on how he had forgotten that normal type moves don't work against Ghost Pokemon. I don't see how the writer's claim this at one point in the series and then later contadict themselves completely.

If you take the anime as a sort of real life version of the Pokemon World it makes sense that a solid object (ie. Squirtle) would pass straight through a "ghost" like Banette. Sorry, I don't buy the whole Tackle thing.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Espeon EX Offline

Send a message via MSN to Espeon EX

may doesn't really deserve it because how can a little squirtle defeat bannete and how can tackle affect it. Banette used better moves. Count me on the doesn't deserve 5th ribbon side.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:49 AM
xxxSakura Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to xxxSakura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPEON EX View Post
may doesn't really deserve it because how can a little squirtle defeat bannete and how can tackle affect it. Banette used better moves. Count me on the doesn't deserve 5th ribbon side.
That's what everybody says around here. The anime is really very unrealistic and full of senseless logic sometimes. I do agree that May worked hard, but it's really stupid about Squirtle defeating Banette, especially around the Tackle move.

It's like... A Caterpie defeating Lucario.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:23 AM
mistdragon Offline
Elite Trainer

I have just checked a few things out;

Apparently, in contest, moves like Tackle and Tail Whip are considered HIGHLY APPEALING. Also, contest disqualifies the immunity of ghosts to physical moves, I think...

I might be wrong so don't take my word for it.

Thanks!