Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 08-01-2004, 02:56 PM
Caite-chan Offline

Send a message via AIM to Caite-chan Send a message via MSN to Caite-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Caite-chan
Default Religous and Money!

We talked about this in my Economics class in Summer School. We talked about what was on the money but, the thing we really talk about was one of the phrases.

Should: ''In God we Trust'' be alowed to be printed on money?

Some people don't believe in God yet they have to use money with that phrase on it.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:55 PM
Inferno Offline

Send a message via AIM to Inferno
Default Re: Religous and Money!

Making a big deal out of that phrase seems like people would just be trying to have an argument.
God is everywhere in the United States, it's kinda hard to avoid that. Bumper stickers, keychains, churches, wall art, statues and other art, City Hall, everywhere there's God. So I don't think putting it on a little piece of green paper is a problem.
If you don't want to support that, then get a checking account or credit card, pay with cashiers' checks, travellers' checks, don't look at it, don't read it, put a piece of masking tape over it, fold it so it doesn't show... there are so many other options out there that trying to get it taken off the dollar bill just seems like a waste.
But some people are different, some may think that they should be able to see a dollar bill without God anywhere near it. But it seems like another big to-do about nothing, to me.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:22 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

I'm not sure on that dilemma, but I doubt anybody actually cares enough to begin with. lol

As Inferno said, you have many other options (average North American uses the credit/debit/etc. cards more than cash anyway), so I don't see much problem.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:33 PM
JoshE Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to JoshE Send a message via Yahoo to JoshE

They also thought of changing the pledge of allegiance to remove "under god" from it, because of people who don't belive in God.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:31 AM
Inferno Offline

There are alternatives to that too. You don't have to listen to the words. Think of something else when hearing the pledge of allegiance. When saying it, just mumble it or say, say "under..." something. Making a big deal out things that are easily settled is ridiculous.

There is a player on the Toronto Blue Jays that didn't stand for the "God Bless America" song(I believe) before the baseball game. He sat in the dugout, where no one could see him. He didn't make a big deal out of it(some of the media did). He basically said that he just didn't support the war, so he didn't stand for the song. He was mildly protesting the war. He didn't make that much of a deal about it. I saw nothign wrong with it. I support him and say that people have choices, but there are also limitations to how far your choice should go.

Taking "In God we Trust" or "under God" to supreme court or anywhere out of your home is not right. People can easily/simply solve a problem very discretely if they think.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:29 PM
JoshE Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno
There are alternatives to that too. You don't have to listen to the words. Think of something else when hearing the pledge of allegiance. When saying it, just mumble it or say, say "under..." something. Making a big deal out things that are easily settled is ridiculous.

There is a player on the Toronto Blue Jays that didn't stand for the "God Bless America" song(I believe) before the baseball game. He sat in the dugout, where no one could see him. He didn't make a big deal out of it(some of the media did). He basically said that he just didn't support the war, so he didn't stand for the song. He was mildly protesting the war. He didn't make that much of a deal about it. I saw nothign wrong with it. I support him and say that people have choices, but there are also limitations to how far your choice should go.

Taking "In God we Trust" or "under God" to supreme court or anywhere out of your home is not right. People can easily/simply solve a problem very discretely if they think.
Hmmmmm... Thats an interesting story. Theres a difference though between protesting the president and the country.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:33 AM
Inferno Offline

Yeah there's a big difference in protesting the president and his opinions and protesting a country.
But the baseball player handled his dislike in a very admirable way, I think people should learn from it. That is the point I wanted to make.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:15 AM
Steven Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Steven

I think there are more important issues. I mean yeah I don't believe in god, but I could care less about it. I mean it's the stuff I use to buy other stuff, so as far as I'm concerned, who cares, it's just words on paper... that don't do anything special.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:50 PM
JoshE Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Yeah there's a big difference in protesting the president and his opinions and protesting a country.
But the baseball player handled his dislike in a very admirable way, I think people should learn from it. That is the point I wanted to make.

Exactly! You can hate Bush but love Amertica still. Its totally different.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:59 PM
art Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to art Send a message via MSN to art

I think state and religion should be completely seperated. and no, there is no need to protest against it, but then again you shouldn't have to say all those pledges about god and stuff. it's a bit indoctrinating.

miyavi is the hotness
Old 08-08-2004, 01:04 PM
JoshE Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by art
I think state and religion should be completely seperated. and no, there is no need to protest against it, but then again you shouldn't have to say all those pledges about god and stuff. it's a bit indoctrinating.

Times have changed and not everyone belives in God. I belive in God but I also respect the views of people who don't. I am not somone to say nayone will go to hell bevause it isn't my place. Plus Jews don't really belive in people going to hell for a little thing they did which was bad. Or not praying ect. Hell is reserved for really evil people.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Inferno Offline

belief in God and religious matter/morals have been a big part of laws and virtues in the past, and a significant part in the forming of the states. Seperation of things that have been together for so long is very hard, practically impossible. So, I think that complete seperation of church and state, at this point in time, is not the most reasonably conceivable thing; but it could be an answer in an idealistic world (or country in this matter).

On the same subject of disbelief in God and laws and such:
When on trial, people are asked to "tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God." I think.
If the person being questioned doesn't believe in God or a religion, then what is to keep them from lying? what will make them tell the truth. And there's no real way to be certain of a person's belief in God and morals and such, so you bascially go by their word that they will give their word... which seems foolish to me.
(What's to keep people from lying even if they believe in God? That's another question.)

But many things seem like they would be a great idea. Communism looks great on paper, but when implemented in a real-life situation it has always turned out to be sub-par. So in an idealistic world, God wouldn't really be anywhere close to a country and it's makings, because God wouldn't be needed, because in an idealistic world, people would live a great and perfect life no matter what their beliefs.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:06 PM
JohtoTrainer Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to JohtoTrainer Send a message via Yahoo to JohtoTrainer

The song is called "God Bless America" not "God Bless Bush" I wouldn't mind if he didn't stand up for a song called "God Bless Bush" lol. But what he did, if he's american, which I can't remember if is, but i think he is, that is just unpatriotic, that song doesn't have nething to do with the war. It's showing pride in your country. Whether u believe in the war or not, what he did was just stupid.

This suit is black not.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:18 PM
art Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to art Send a message via MSN to art

Quote:
belief in God and religious matter/morals have been a big part of laws...
have been? the laws now are still based on the 10 commandments.

miyavi is the hotness
Old 08-10-2004, 04:00 PM
JoshE Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by art
have been? the laws now are still based on the 10 commandments.
Its starting to change. Did you hear about how they removed the Ten Commandments from that courthouse in Alabama I think it was.