Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:25 AM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orange_Flaaffy
Smile What is your favorite pokemon to read about in fanfic...

...and why ?

I liked to read about pokemon that are often overlooked and not written about much.
When a new generation comes out and everyone is writing stories with the new pokemon in them I actually love to read stories focused on the older generations becuase often new pokemon fics seem to be badly written and fad-ish.

I love fanfics that give personality to the hoofed pokemon like Rapidash and Ponyta, since they often appear in fic as just being pokebots that carry their characters everywhere and are not shown to be as smart as real live horses

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art

Last edited by Orange_Flaaffy; 02-20-2007 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:29 AM
Daneb Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Daneb Send a message via MSN to Daneb
Default Re: What is your favorite pokemon to read about in fanfic...

lol, right into making that first new topic, eh?

I don't really like reading about how trainers own the legendaries. I prefer reading about pokemon that are lesser-known, I guess you could say. I mean, in all the fanfics I've read, I've never seen someone write about a Nidorino or a Pineco or something like that. I like it when underrated pokemon are the stars =)

Kingdra
Level 100: 349
Old 02-20-2007, 05:35 AM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneb View Post
lol, right into making that first new topic, eh?

I don't really like reading about how trainers own the legendaries. I prefer reading about pokemon that are lesser-known, I guess you could say. I mean, in all the fanfics I've read, I've never seen someone write about a Nidorino or a Pineco or something like that. I like it when underrated pokemon are the stars =)
I live in Author Forums ;) So I would have to be very post happy when my home forum for five years or so gets one ;).

I love when underrated pokemon like Jumpfluff are in stories and honestly matter to the plot. They are'nt just thrown in for under used reasons :). I think a nice thing to do would be to, if someone posts their favorite pokemon they like reading about others can post links to any stories they might know of that are well written and star or co-star that pokemon ;).

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art
Old 02-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Honestly, I prefer stories more about the popular Pokemon than the not-so-popular ones. Honestly, I'd rather read about a Pikachu, Meowth, or Charmander rather than a Hitmonchan, Voltorb, or Claydol. It just feels like the ones that are more well known have a more solid personality, and they're more familar to more people.

Plus, its more fun to go against the traditional in these characters. We normally think of Pikachu as happy, energetic, and generally carefree. But if someone writes a fic that totally turns that personality around in a different fic, it catches my interest, since its familar but foreign at the same time. Maybe this Pikachu they're writing about is quick to anger, often takes things the wrong way, and keeps very vengeful grudges. But then as the story develops, that all changes and becomes something different, and through a hard experience, he becomes something different, and he begins to realize the difference within himself and it changes everything about the world aroudn him. Stories like that really catch my interest.

Legendaries are a tough nut to crack though. If done well, they can be good, but the fact they always stay out of public is rough. Honestly, considering how most legendaries are, they lead pretty boring lives, mostly hiding away and sleeping, such as with Groundon and Lugia. Other legendaries only appear at certain times in need, such as Latios & Latias or Ho-oh. Plus, the ending might be too predictable. The legendary gets awoken, stops whatever havoc is happening, and then just goes back to whatever they were doing before. Trying to avoid that would be pretty tough, but I would give props to the person who pulls off writing a story about a legendary, but keeps it away from the cliche. Now that's a pretty tough challenge, but I think the reward would be a really awesome story.

Maybe I should try giving that a shot someday...

Old 02-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Hoshika Offline

I'd read about any Pokémon with arms and/or legs. =o

Diversity is good. I don't just want fanfics about a huge mob of Mew bent on saving the world from an evil Mewtwo. That's overkill, overabundance, and over... over... overly cliché! Yeah.

Now what would be REALLY interesting would be about a human-shaped Pokémon like Mawile, a random Treecko, a hyperactive Marreep, a sensible but still young Pidgey, a weird Ditto, and a Caterpie. That would be weird and awesome. Weirdsome. O_o

Go with the super-spotlight and focus on certain Pokémon out of the group while still maintaining the other characters' importance. That's how diversity can work.

Or they are all Double Team clones. Whee!
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Sceptile Frost

Neo: The thing is that the overused pokemon become so cliche and underused that they become once again underused. It's a constant cycle. Thus, I choose to avoid it.

Personally, the pokemon doesn't really matter that much to me. As long as the author portrays the pokemon as an individual, either through poketalk, telepathic converse, or just plain actions and battling, I'll read about Arcticuno or Zapdos, Jumpluff or Charizard.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:47 AM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers

I don't really have a favorite Pokemon to write about. I simply pick the Pokemon that would fit the situation I want to write about. And I'm not picky about what Pokemon others choose to write about, as long as they can convince me those Pokemon are there for a necessary reason.

I do think Legendaries are iffy. Even the Anime Movies I question. But if it's well presented, then bravo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshika View Post
Now what would be REALLY interesting would be about a human-shaped Pokémon like Mawile, a random Treecko, a hyperactive Marreep, a sensible but still young Pidgey, a weird Ditto, and a Caterpie. That would be weird and awesome. Weirdsome. O_o
I think that's the key, giving the Pokemon characteristics like Humans. By the way, that would be a very interesting team to read about.

~Jack~

-| Links |-
Old 02-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector

Underused Pokémon are also cliche, if you think about it. People constantly say that they want to write about some underused Pokémon, and never get down t doing it. Cliche doesn't have to be in writing; it can be through actions if it must. Therefore, I'll go for any Pokémon that works well, and that fits with the plot and character I have in mind.

Now, putting Pokémon in human characteristics is one thing that I'm against. Why? Well, because they're not human. You need to think of a Pokémon as a different being from a human, not only on the outside. If you had a Sandshrew, do you honestly believe it would act like a human. In my eyes, it wouldn't. It would act like an animal that I see it as: a rabbit. A Sandshrew would have that warren instinct. It would want to stick with the group. It would do what the group would do. It would sniff another Sandshrew, rather than ask it questions. This is exactly what I'm attempting to do in a fanfiction that I hope to post pretty soon.

Legendaries work in a very different manner from other Pokémon from what I take form it. And so, I don't really want to venture there, although once I get a bit of this sudden writing load off my back, I'll do a joke one-shot.

DS

// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
Old 02-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Dragonfree Offline
Experienced Trainer

Scyther.

I absolutely adore reading about Scyther.

In general, though, I like reading about any Pokémon species that the author has thought properly through and given their own culture, way of thinking, etc. Too often Pokémon seem to be kind of just random creatures that battle and nothing more. I like to be immersed in what life as this Pokémon is like.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspector View Post
Underused Pokémon are also cliche, if you think about it. People constantly say that they want to write about some underused Pokémon, and never get down t doing it. Cliche doesn't have to be in writing; it can be through actions if it must. Therefore, I'll go for any Pokémon that works well, and that fits with the plot and character I have in mind.

Now, putting Pokémon in human characteristics is one thing that I'm against. Why? Well, because they're not human. You need to think of a Pokémon as a different being from a human, not only on the outside. If you had a Sandshrew, do you honestly believe it would act like a human. In my eyes, it wouldn't. It would act like an animal that I see it as: a rabbit. A Sandshrew would have that warren instinct. It would want to stick with the group. It would do what the group would do. It would sniff another Sandshrew, rather than ask it questions. This is exactly what I'm attempting to do in a fanfiction that I hope to post pretty soon.

Legendaries work in a very different manner from other Pokémon from what I take form it. And so, I don't really want to venture there, although once I get a bit of this sudden writing load off my back, I'll do a joke one-shot.

DS
Not… necessarily true, and I think Pokémon Mystery Dungeon definitely reinforces this. But I’ll go into that later.

To tell the truth, most Pokémon show clear evidence of being more intelligent than the wildlife we’re used to. Many of them can understand human speech as well. Others (Meowth, Lugia, Entei, Slowking, Mewtwo, Jirachi) know enough about human speech to be able to speak it themselves. Also, they seem to be more in tune with emotions than the wildlife we’re all used to.

Using tools is also another indication of their higher-than-normal intelligence. The only animals we know that can use tools besides humans are gorillas. In the world of Pokémon, many Pokémon already know the function of human tools. Many of them are even aware of how a Pokéball works and what it’s made to do. Meowth and Pikachu especially come into contact with a lot of devices and tools and show a clear and cognitive understanding of how they work and how to use them.

While this does bend the mold a little bit, when Pokémon Mystery Dungeon was released, that put the concept in a whole new ballpark. In the game (and that one time episode Team Go-Getters), Pokémon have made their own entire town, with their own entire society. That shows that they at least know how to construct buildings, which would take a pretty high amount of intelligence to be able to pull off. They would also know how to make the tools, equipment, and planning of the structures they’re building. Also, the way they speak and communicate definitely shows how smart they really are, possessing both thought, emotional, and cognitive awareness. Also, they understand the purpose of roles and society. Some Pokémon are rescuers, others are merchants, others deliver mail, and so on. They also show a strong ability to organize into teams, acknowledge leadership roles, and how to prepare for missions and tasks ahead.

So, sorry, but I’d have to disagree with you there. I think they could be easily bent in either direction.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

I like seeing pokemon as animals :3. Basicly, animals who are for the most part as smart as three year old based on whatever animal they would be linked to in real life (besides Mewtwo, the Legends, the human like pokemon of course:).

The reason why I set my fanfic in the color games (LG/G/S/C/D/P) world was to get away from the 'just little humans' world of the anime and MD :). I like it and everything but sometimes I just like seeing pokemon as animals doing animal things, something many fanfics never touch on...

Like I said in another forum:

But overall they are animals IMHO and I like to see them that way, since the war of animal vs. human mind is a big part of how I view pokemorphs.

If their pokemon side is just as human as the human side they were born with , then they stop being pokemorphs to me and start feeling like I am writing about X-Men characters with element powers and deformed bodies and not pokemon fan fiction at all :P

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art

Last edited by Orange_Flaaffy; 02-21-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Not… necessarily true, and I think Pokémon Mystery Dungeon definitely reinforces this. But I’ll go into that later.

To tell the truth, most Pokémon show clear evidence of being more intelligent than the wildlife we’re used to. Many of them can understand human speech as well. Others (Meowth, Lugia, Entei, Slowking, Mewtwo, Jirachi) know enough about human speech to be able to speak it themselves. Also, they seem to be more in tune with emotions than the wildlife we’re all used to.

Using tools is also another indication of their higher-than-normal intelligence. The only animals we know that can use tools besides humans are gorillas. In the world of Pokémon, many Pokémon already know the function of human tools. Many of them are even aware of how a Pokéball works and what it’s made to do. Meowth and Pikachu especially come into contact with a lot of devices and tools and show a clear and cognitive understanding of how they work and how to use them.

While this does bend the mold a little bit, when Pokémon Mystery Dungeon was released, that put the concept in a whole new ballpark. In the game (and that one time episode Team Go-Getters), Pokémon have made their own entire town, with their own entire society. That shows that they at least know how to construct buildings, which would take a pretty high amount of intelligence to be able to pull off. They would also know how to make the tools, equipment, and planning of the structures they’re building. Also, the way they speak and communicate definitely shows how smart they really are, possessing both thought, emotional, and cognitive awareness. Also, they understand the purpose of roles and society. Some Pokémon are rescuers, others are merchants, others deliver mail, and so on. They also show a strong ability to organize into teams, acknowledge leadership roles, and how to prepare for missions and tasks ahead.

So, sorry, but I’d have to disagree with you there. I think they could be easily bent in either direction.
Ah well, where's life without a bit of disagreement.

Again, I still believe Pokémon to be animals. Why? Well because that's what they are in the Pokémon world. You have humans, and then Pokémon. You never have catsor dogs in the Pokémon world. True, they use tools, but so do plenty of animals; not just gorillas. Most apes are capable of using sticks and stones to get at bugs, or hard-to-reach fruits. Also, there is a species of crow who are skilled in using stones to get through wood in trees, to get food. There was a documaentary where a piece of bread was place at one end of a tube, and to get it out, you had to pull one string to remove one platform. Then the bread fell further. Then you had to twist around a lever so that another platform dropped away, and then had to pull out the third platform before reaching the bread. The crow did all of this.

Coyotes and Jackals are also well-versed in using stones. Coyotoes in the African Savannah use stones to berak open ostrich eggs (which for those of you who don't know are well hard. A full grown man can jump on them and they won't break). So it isn't only Gorillas that can use tools.

Also, there are different levels of pokémon. You have Pokémon like many of the legends, and most of the humanoid ones that can do, as you said, things like organising a community, and constructing buildings and so on. But you also have a lower level (Caterpie, the various dogs, etc) that cannot do so.

Yes Neo, I can argue.

DS

// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
Old 02-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Dragonfree Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspector
Again, I still believe Pokémon to be animals. Why? Well because that's what they are in the Pokémon world. You have humans, and then Pokémon. You never have catsor dogs in the Pokémon world.
I've always thought that was a dumb reason for assuming the nonsentiency of Pokémon. There is nothing that says there can only be one species of sentient creature in the world at any one time. :/ There are plenty of books in which animals are portrayed as sentient; I see no reason to assume Pokémon can't be sentient just because they're in some sense animal equivalents.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Well, some people just like to think of it that way :). It is not stopping you from thinking otherwise ;)

I think that a pokemon can be written as an animal and still be well written and show that they *think*, just not on the same level as humans.
For example, a parrot or a dog can really think and have character, but they think under a different level of rules of nature than humans :)

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art
Old 02-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Dragonfree Offline
Experienced Trainer

Of course people can think of it that way, but to say something like, "Well, they can't be sentient because they're like animals!" is just not good reasoning.